PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 18th November 2012)

ROBCamra
17-11-2012, 08:54
Real Ale Ray: Fullers London Pride
Aqualung: Brewster's Andromeda
Wittenden: Larkins Traditional
Mobyduck: Plain Ales Innocence
aleandhearty: Rat King Rat
PaulOfHorsham: Magic Rock / Dark Star Rock Star
oldboots: Ridgeside Long Way From Home
rpadam: Long Man Old Man
Bucking Fastard: Dark Star American Pale Ale
Thuck Phat: Oakham Bishops Farewell
Oggwyn Trench: Abbeydale Winter
hondo: Highland Brewing Company Scapa Special
Pubsignman: Magic Rock / Dark Star Rock Star
Spinko: Hawkshead Cumbrian Five Hop
ROBCamra: Ilkley Dinner Ale

Real Ale Ray
18-11-2012, 15:32
Some of you might think this is quite a boring beer, but I think it's got better over the last 12 months.
BOTW Fullers London Pride

Aqualung
18-11-2012, 17:19
Just two JDW festival beers overstaying their welcome and the rest are Brodie's this week.

Brodie's Amarillo 4.0%
Tring Squadron Scramble 4.0%
Brewster's Andromeda 4.8%
Brodie's Simcoe Pale 5.0%
Brodie's Old Street Pale 5.0%
Brodie's Citra For Breakfast 10.1%
Brodie's Big Mofo Stout 10.5%
Brodie's Imperial IPA 11.0%

The three "double figure" brews were keykeg.

There are two contenders the Andromeda and as usual the Big Mofo Stout.

I don't like repeats so it's the Andromeda in the Leytonstone Walnut Tree, a Golden Ale with a good punch of hops. It's described in the tasting notes as a Strong Ale. Really?

BOTW Brewster's Andromeda.

Wittenden
18-11-2012, 17:48
Only the one beer this week-Larkins Traditional. Only 3.4ABV, but packed with flavour. A bit hoppier this time, the toffee malts not so much to the fore. In any week, this is likely to be BOTW, except when its big brother, Larkins Porter is available.

Mobyduck
18-11-2012, 18:35
Plain Ales Sheep Dip
Plain Ales Innocence
Plain Ales Innspiration
Hopback Summer Lightning

BOTW Plain Ales Innocence

aleandhearty
18-11-2012, 19:10
Quietish week for me, with only a couple that really floated my boat. Tried this week:

Milestone - Uncle Sam's Triple Hop.
Nook - Oatmeal Stout.
Empire - Strikes Back.
Nook - Blonde.
Dark Star - Festival.
Great Heck - Citra.
Acorn - Blonde.
Elland - Tash.
Rat - King Rat.
Rat - Rat out of Hell.

The Citra had great flavour, but was just a little harsh in the finish. The Nelson Sauvin flavour in the King Rat was much more rounded and therefore a worthy winner.

PaulOfHorsham
18-11-2012, 19:15
Think I'll play this week, having enjoyed the Magic Rock / Dark Star Rock Star collaboration brew. 6%, malty and big of hops, tastes "American" and is highly recommended.

aleandhearty
18-11-2012, 19:15
Only the one beer this week-Larkins Traditional. Only 3.4ABV, but packed with flavour.

A lovely session beer. Must be a couple of years since I last had some (at the Rose & Crown, Halstead. Kent) Definitely punches above its weight flavour wise.

oldboots
18-11-2012, 19:55
Ridgeside Long way from home tasted this time at Otley beer festival. Honourable mention to Redwillow Faultless

rpadam
18-11-2012, 22:06
A few good dark beers this week, but nothing to beat the Long Man Brewery's Old Man - a traditional old ale - sampled at what is "still the most druid-friendly pub in Sussex" (and for any nay-sayers, they have the certificate to prove it!).

Bucking Fastard
18-11-2012, 22:20
A disappointing week saved by Dark Star American Pale Ale as BOTW in The George,Croydon.

Next week includes a voyage to Northampton ,may not make it any further than the Malt Shovel and hoping it throws up some decent contenders.

Thuck Phat
19-11-2012, 11:46
A very quiet week but not all bad with Oakham Bishops Farewell as BOTW.

Oggwyn Trench
19-11-2012, 18:22
An OK week for me ,

Daleside - Blonde
Blackwater -Swan Song
Wentworth - Hoppy Days
Wentworth - Gold
Elland - Allied Hop Power
Abbeydale - Winter
Everards - Equinox

BOTW Abbeydale - Winter

hondo
20-11-2012, 08:34
Highland Brewing Company - Scapa Special

Pubsignman
20-11-2012, 17:13
Think I'll play this week, having enjoyed the Magic Rock / Dark Star Rock Star collaboration brew. 6%, malty and big of hops, tastes "American" and is highly recommended.

I'm with Paul on this one - the Rock Star is as good as you would expect a Dark Star/Magic Rock collaboration to be.

Ascot Red IPA and Thornbridge Thorny Goat are worthy of a mention too.

Wittenden
20-11-2012, 18:24
A lovely session beer. Must be a couple of years since I last had some (at the Rose & Crown, Halstead. Kent) Definitely punches above its weight flavour wise.

I love this tasting note from another beer reviewing site:" Pure nectar from the man reputed to talk to his hops to get the best out of them"
Admittedly this refers to Larkins delicious porter but the sentiment rings true.

Spinko
21-11-2012, 09:13
Hawkshead - Cumbrian Five Hop.

Had a few of these in the Wetherspoons on Deansgate, Manchester on Friday night/Saturday morning. A great pint to wash away the taste of the curry I had on the Curry Mile for my 30th.

I also had one of their New Zealand Pale Ale's on Thursday, prior to a meal at the Armenian Taverna in Manchester, which was also in decent shape.

ROBCamra
22-11-2012, 11:04
Ilkley Dinner Ale only 3.3% but with a great hoppy taste.

I'm very pleased that it was on the bar in The Baum during Beaujolais Day. It allowed me to manage 12.5 hour day.:cheers:

It just shows that you don't need to be a 7.5% monster hopped IPA to be a great beer. BrewDog please note. :p

aleandhearty
22-11-2012, 15:11
Ilkley Dinner Ale only 3.3% but with a great hoppy taste.

I'm very pleased that it was on the bar in The Baum during Beaujolais Day. It allowed me to manage 12.5 hour day.:cheers:

It just shows that you don't need to be a 7.5% monster hopped IPA to be a great beer. BrewDog please note. :p

Had it a couple of weeks ago and have to say I was rather disappointed. However, as our tastes are quite similar I'll give it another try. It may have been a little below par.

oldboots
22-11-2012, 16:53
Had it a couple of weeks ago and have to say I was rather disappointed. However, as our tastes are quite similar I'll give it another try. It may have been a little below par.

Me too, on both counts, it tasted acidic rather than "tired", a bit like Black Sheep All Creatures.