PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 11th November 2012)

ROBCamra
05-11-2012, 15:16
Aqualung: Freeminer Deep Shaft
Bucking Fastard: Green Jack Orange Wheat Beer
Spinko: Marble Pint
Mobyduck: Darkstar Hophead
Wittenden: Chapel Down Vineyards Curious IPA
Real Ale Ray: Adnams Lighthouse
hondo: Stewart Brewing Zymic
Thuck Phat: Sadlers Red IPA
aleandhearty: Thornbridge Jaipur
london calling: Triple fff Jabberwocky
Oggwyn Trench: White Rose Voluptuous Blonde
rpadam: Shepherd Neame Spooks
Pubsignman: Gales HSB
ROBCamra: Byatt's Phoenix Gold
Brewguru: Plain Ales Sheep Dip

Aqualung
09-11-2012, 23:16
Only a small slection this week

Cambridge Brewing Heather Ale 4.0%
White Horse War Horse 4.9%
Brodie's Simcoe Pale 5.0%
Brodies's Old Street Pale 5.0%
Steenbrugge Dubbel Bruin 6.0%
Freeminer Deep Shaft 6.2%
Brodie's Dalston Black IPA 7.0%
Brodie's Big Mofo Stout 10.5%

I would also like to give the Gwynt Y Ddraig Black Dragon cider an honourable mention!

There is a clear winner, Freeminer Deep Shaft in top notch condition at the King's Ford in Chingford, I think it was a fresh barrel.

I would describe it as a strong stout, black with a massive burst of roasted malt flavour. I'm sure I drank this in a Spoons back in the 1990s but I don't recall it being exceptional as this most definitely was.

BOTW Freeminer Deep Shaft

Bucking Fastard
11-11-2012, 16:34
Reasonable week with some decent ale in Atherstone,nice change,but BOTW was Green Jack Orange Wheat Beer .I got the marmalade hints,some sweetness balanced by citrus bitterness which demanded a second.Served in great condition in The Town Wall Tavern,Coventry a pub now in the running for POTM,along with the ever reliable Greyhound at Hawkesbury Junction.

Spinko
11-11-2012, 17:35
Some good ones yesterday.

Greenfield - Vanilla Stout
Marble - Pint
Bobs - White Lion

The Greenfield beers have been spotted consistently at the Deansgate Wetherspoons in Manchester, with sometimes 2 or 3 on. No need to go to the Stalybridge buffet for them when I can just walk around the corner :D

The Marble was a funny one. I got it from the Thomas St pub in the Northern Quarter, and was told it was cloudy and asked whether I wanted a sample to check it. It was spot on.. was just about warm enough to sit outside too..maybe the last opportunity of the year.

Bob's White Lion is a permanent fixture in the Angel. However the last time I was in there, there were friendly barstaff, a really bustling pub, 7 or 8 handpumps on, and a live pianist. This time it was only around a third as busy, perhaps only 3 beers on, and a huge scorched bit of grass outside where they'd had a bonfire. I am amazed how quickly a pub can change.

Mobyduck
11-11-2012, 18:11
West Berks Once Bittern
West Berks Dr Hexsters Wedding Ale
Butcombe Bitter
Darkstar Hophead
Courage Best
Easy choice BOTW Darkstar Hophead

Wittenden
11-11-2012, 18:19
I cannot believe what I'm about to write, but it is true.
Otter- Bitter: a pleasant malt led session beer.Inoffensive.
Dorset Piddle-Silent Slasher: unassuming pale gold lager-alike. Nettley,OK. silly names.
Timothy Taylor-Landlord-distinctly average last night.
Chapel Down Vineyards-Curious IPA. Brewed at Hepworth's, tweaked at Chapel Down. A very drinkable 5.6ABV KEG. No unpleasant gassiness,plenty of flavour from the Kent and US hops and plenty of soul. My re- application for CAMRA membership will probably fail, but I actually enjoyed a pint of keg. There, I've said it. My BOTW.

Mobyduck
11-11-2012, 18:28
I cannot believe what I'm about to write, but it is true.
Otter- Bitter: a pleasant malt led session beer.Inoffensive.
Dorset Piddle-Silent Slasher: unassuming pale gold lager-alike. Nettley,OK. silly names.
Timothy Taylor-Landlord-distinctly average last night.
Chapel Down Vineyards-Curious IPA. Brewed at Hepworth's, tweaked at Chapel Down. A very drinkable 5.6ABV KEG. No unpleasant gassiness,plenty of flavour from the Kent and US hops and plenty of soul. My re- application for CAMRA membership will probably fail, but I actually enjoyed a pint of keg. There, I've said it. My BOTW.
KEG !!!! :eek::D

Real Ale Ray
11-11-2012, 19:14
BOTW - Adnams Lighthouse

Aqualung
11-11-2012, 23:39

Do you know if this was keykeg or the full on CO2 gas cylinder keg? Keykeg as I understand things is a CAMRA approved method of dispense and is in no way gassy, but may be colder than some would like.

I have voted Brodie's keykeg beers as BOTW and will probably do so again.

I've recently had a few bottles of Tesco Finest American IPA aka Brewdog Hardcore IPA. It's a fantastic bottled beer but I can't help thinking how superior it would be from a carefully nurtured dry hopped cask.

Wittenden
11-11-2012, 23:53
Do you know if this was keykeg or the full on CO2 gas cylinder keg? Keykeg as I understand things is a CAMRA approved method of dispense and is in no way gassy, but may be colder than some would like.

Not sure! It came from a rather snazzy looking font on the bar, but as it was in a sort of restaurant situation I didn't get a good look. I've had the beer in bottle-in the past I think it was bottle conditioned but no more. Stil a good drink. I think some from of barrel ageing takes place, it being a winery.

hondo
12-11-2012, 08:12
Stewart Brewing - Zymic

Thuck Phat
12-11-2012, 10:24
A wide selection but sadly not of the highest quality:
Wentworth Hoppy Days
Sadlers Red IPA
Blythe Staffie
Warwickshire Beer Company Golden Bear
Bass
Blue Bear Morning Glory
Mighty Oak Dry Bones
Cameron's Monkey Stout
Green Jack Orange Wheat
Nobbys Guzzler
Oakham Bishops Farewell

The Golden Bear was abysmal - malty, sweet and with an unpleasant tang. Didn't manage a full pint and whilst it was marginally better than the previous Warwickshire offerings I've tried, it'll be a while before giving the brewery another go. The Bishops was, as ever, excellent and the Orange Wheat, Monkey Stout, Staffie and Hoppy Days worth a pint or two. BOTW was Sadlers Red IPA which, oddly enough, is a 5.7% red IPA. Perhaps not for the IPA purists but very good nonetheless.

Bucking Fastard
12-11-2012, 11:15
I've recently had a few bottles of Tesco Finest American IPA aka Brewdog Hardcore IPA. It's a fantastic bottled beer but I can't help thinking how superior it would be from a carefully nurtured dry hopped cask.

Well said ,it really is sad that BrewDog have turned their back on cask conditioning,in that form they produced some outstandingly tasty beer,these days sadly diluted by pasteurisation, keg dispense using top pressure CO2 and aggressive line chilling. Don't want to start a debate,just my personal view.

aleandhearty
12-11-2012, 13:32
Spent most of the week in London, which was great for finding new beers, but the quality was very hit and miss, in several places. Tried this week:

Greenfield - Vanilla Stout.
Greenfield - Copper Caskade.
London Fields - Love Not War.
Hogs Back - Hop Garden Gold.
Growler - Growler.
Cronx - Fallout.
Dark Star - Hophead.
Triple fff - Jabberwocky.
Thornbridge - Jaipur.
Vicious - American Wheat IPA.
Windsor & Eton - Knights of the Garter.
Hopback - Summer Lightning.
Red Squirrel - London Porter.
Rebelion - Red Ale.
Rebellion - Mild.
Sambrook - Junction.
Twickenham - Bare Naked Ladies
Twickenham - Original.
St Austell - Tribute.
Twickenham - Grandstand.

Only two real contenders. The Vanilla Stout was on fine form, in the Duck & Drake, Leeds. However, the Jaipur in the Black Friar, EC4 was life saving after a string of disappointing tastings elsewhere. Special mention for the Hophead tasted in the Duchess of Cambridge, W6. Frankly, the worst pint I've had this year. Totally unrecognisable.

aleandhearty
12-11-2012, 13:37
Spent most of the week in London, which was great for finding new beers, but the quality was very hit and miss, in several places. Tried this week:

Greenfield - Vanilla Stout.
Greenfield - Copper Caskade.
London Fields - Love Not War.
Hogs Back - Hop Garden Gold.
Growler - Growler.
Cronx - Fallout.
Dark Star - Hophead.
Triple fff - Jabberwocky.
Thornbridge - Jaipur.
Vicious - American Wheat IPA.
Windsor & Eton - Knights of the Garter.
Hopback - Summer Lightning.
Red Squirrel - London Porter.
Rebelion - Red Ale.
Rebellion - Mild.
Sambrook - Junction.
Twickenham - Bare Naked Ladies
Twickenham - Original.
St Austell - Tribute.
Twickenham - Grandstand.

Only two real contenders. The Vanilla Stout was on fine form, in the Duck & Drake, Leeds. However, the Jaipur in the Black Friar, EC4 was life saving after a string of disappointing tastings elsewhere. Special mention for the Hophead tasted in the Duchess of Cambridge, W6. Frankly, the worst pint I've had this year. Totally unrecognisable.

Aqualung
12-11-2012, 16:59
I'm going to have to drink less, I'm seeing double!!

london calling
12-11-2012, 20:58
not a lot of choice this week
lamb -lifeboat rescue 2.8(weak but tasty
lamb -hefeweizen
fullers -bengal lancer
brains -jack black(loved this)
but just pipped at the post by
tripple fff-jabberwalky black ipa(funny enough in the Duchess of Cambridge)

Oggwyn Trench
13-11-2012, 18:09
Couple of days off last week so a few more nights out than normal:drinkup::nishelypished:

Hobsons - Twisted Spire
B&P(Phoenix) - Original
Two Roses - Full Nelson
Ossett - Movember
Pictish - Samhain Stout
Hobsons - Mild
Ironbridge - Coracle
Ironbridge - Wenlock Stout
Castle Rock - Elsie Mo
Castle Rock - Black Magic
Wye Valley - Butty Bach
White Rose - We Shall Remenber Them
White Rose - Voluptuos Blonde
Joules - Slumbering Monk

BOTW White Rose - Voluptuos Blonde

rpadam
13-11-2012, 23:45
A controversial choice, perhaps, but I'm going to go for the Shepherd Neame Spooks which is one of the best seasonal brews to have appeared from Faversham in recent years.

Pubsignman
14-11-2012, 12:49
Spent the weekend in Stratford Upon Avon. Didn't find much of interest beer-wise, but what we did sample was pretty much all in excellent condition. Therefore, the contenders for this week are fairly familiar brews such as Timothy Taylor Golden Best, and Purity Ubu, but BOTW goes to the ever reliable Gales HSB which I enjoyed in The Old Thatch Tavern (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/37301/) until it ran out.

Brewguru
15-11-2012, 09:02
Really enjoyed a pint of Plain Ales Sheep Dip (3.8%) this week, from my limited drinking of really memorable beer these days in South Somerset.

ROBCamra
16-11-2012, 11:32
This week it's going to be Byatt's Phoenix Gold tried several times at The Baum.

I can't remember when anything this good came out of Coventry. :p

oldboots
16-11-2012, 14:35

The M6?

aleandhearty
16-11-2012, 16:50

The M6?

....The Specials?

Bucking Fastard
16-11-2012, 20:39
....The Specials?

One of their album covers was shot in the Canal Basin so two ticks from me.

Mobyduck
16-11-2012, 22:14
Ernie Hunt and Willie Carr?