PDA

View Full Version : The Cock Tavern Hackney

Mobyduck
03-11-2012, 08:50
Anybody got some up to date info on the Cock Tavern (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/25052/).The last review on the main site was by Strongers back in 2009, there is some up to date stuff on the otherside. (http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/comments.shtml/16964/)I see it was London Callings Pub of The Month and I presume Gill will be going there soon.It appears to be owned by the Southampton Arms people,is this true and if so I'm guessing the beer range is good? My next London trip will be in the Hackney area , hopefully before Christmas ,and this pub sounds like a good addition to The Pembury Tavern and The Dove, any feedback will be appreciated and hopefully I will be able to add an up to date review.

gillhalfpint
03-11-2012, 10:04
If all goes to plan we will be there 18th November. Southampton Arms is a good one I agree, so looking forward to the Cock Tavern. Know the Pembury, but not the Dove. Will look it up.

Pubsignman
03-11-2012, 10:09
Yes, it's the sister pub to the Southampton Arms. They have 16 hand pumps and loads of 'craft' keg stuff, plus an onsite microbrewry called Howling Hops. I've not been yet, but it is top of my 'to do' list.

Mobyduck
03-11-2012, 12:02
If all goes to plan we will be there 18th November. Southampton Arms is a good one I agree, so looking forward to the Cock Tavern. Know the Pembury, but not the Dove. Will look it up.I have been to the Dove, it was recommended to me by Bucking Fastard and he wasn't wrong well worth a visit.

Yes, it's the sister pub to the Southampton Arms. They have 16 hand pumps and loads of 'craft' keg stuff, plus an onsite microbrewry called Howling Hops. I've not been yet, but it is top of my 'to do' list.
Cheers it sounds good ,will definitely pay a visit when next in Hackney.

Bucking Fastard
03-11-2012, 19:38
Cheers it sounds good ,will definitely pay a visit when next in Hackney.

I couldn't believe the stories that I was hearing about a great pub on Mare Street from the people who live on boats around Victoria Park,but they were refering to The Cock Tavern,so this is on the list when I'm in the area and free to drink.Can't wait.

trainman
04-11-2012, 10:33
6 different halves here last Saturday and not one of them were clear. Disappointed with last visit to Southampton too; They need to buck their ideas up imo.

Bucking Fastard
04-11-2012, 11:39
6 different halves here last Saturday and not one of them were clear. Disappointed with last visit to Southampton too; They need to buck their ideas up imo.

That's a bit worrying,last time I was in the Southampton a year ago several pints were hazy which I took to mean the barrel had been brought on too early without settling property at a very busy time in the pub.Thought I must have been unlucky but possibly not :( ,some caution may be warranted on the Cock Tavern.

Mobyduck
04-11-2012, 19:53

That's a bit worrying,last time I was in the Southampton a year ago several pints were hazy which I took to mean the barrel had been brought on too early without settling property at a very busy time in the pub.Thought I must have been unlucky but possibly not :( ,some caution may be warranted on the Cock Tavern.

Will still be having a look soon though. :pray:

gillhalfpint
04-11-2012, 20:06
I want my own opinion on this one too. Isn't it someone's pub of the month with good beer?

trainman
05-11-2012, 12:30
Will still be having a look soon though. :pray:

I want my own opinion on this one too.

Hey, I wouldn't put anyone off a pub visit(!), and would be interested to hear others' experiences.
It just felt, to me, that there may be some laurel-resting going on at these venues after a very auspicious start...

Mobyduck
05-11-2012, 13:34
Hey, I wouldn't put anyone off a pub visit(!), and would be interested to hear others' experiences.
It just felt, to me, that there may be some laurel-resting going on at these venues after a very auspicious start...
Don't worry you wouldn't put me off, interesting comments , my reason for asking in the first place, forearmed is forewarned.

london calling
12-11-2012, 20:39
i have visited twice both times very impressed.good beer -reasonably priced as well. they had a couple of beers on cask and again on keg but it was 60p extra for the fizzy one.i reckon thats at 70 pints to a firkin £42 extra they make.Must be expensive gas in London.

Mobyduck
13-08-2013, 20:55
Bit late in the day but Iv'e just realised I never finished this thread off with an answer, visited 15/6/13 and found it to be a fantastic pub, had two of the Howling Hops offerings ,American Light Ale and the Smoked Porter and both were excellent ,a top pub and highly recommended.