PDA

View Full Version : Oakham JHB 'Extra'

Millay
28-10-2012, 14:05
Just seen this for the first time and thought i would try a pint. The ordinary JHB is 3.8% so if they are going to do an 'Extra' i would expect it to be 5%+. In fact i would expect anything calling itself extra to be 5%+. This offering is just 4.2% and i am struggling to taste the difference. Don't know why they have bothered. Anyone else found this pointless beer?

gillhalfpint
28-10-2012, 15:28
It's been around a while as we had it in Leicester March 2009. Cannot remember how good it was though.

london calling
28-10-2012, 20:09
i have had this in a bottle.i think it was brewed slightly stronger as sometimes happens for the bottled market then they occasionally cask it.i think sub 4.0 beers are hard to sell hence the abv change as you can usually find a near 5.0 beer for the same price in supermarkets.i had the 3.8 jhb again recently and found it the dullest Oakham beer i have had for a long time.

trainman
29-10-2012, 11:32
The ordinary JHB is 3.8% so if they are going to do an 'Extra' i would expect it to be 5%+. In fact i would expect anything calling itself extra to be 5%+.
Never heard of it but agree that one would expect it to be significantly stronger than the regular JHB, in the sort of bracket you mention.
Shame it's not - would be have been worth looking out for.