PDA

View Full Version : Arghh! I've lost me notes!

Quinno
25-10-2012, 22:02
...or, in my case, managed to (somehow) delete the carefully-crafted email draft with all my notes on from Tuesday.

I presume most of you have had this sort of accident at some time or another? Notes in your pint, fallen out of your pocket, eaten by the dog. Or just mysteriously vanished?

Mobyduck
26-10-2012, 06:46
...or, in my case, managed to (somehow) delete the carefully-crafted email draft with all my notes on from Tuesday.

I presume most of you have had this sort of accident at some time or another? Notes in your pint, fallen out of your pocket, eaten by the dog. Or just mysteriously vanished?
Just spent the last two days drinking in London keeping mental notes,most of these have now strangely vanished.:nishelypished::confused:

ETA
26-10-2012, 08:22
Once spent a couple of days trying to find some notes after a particularly good session in The Cricketers in Farncombe, but failed. In the end I assumed I had lost the notes due to the level enjoyment so decided to try to reconstruct the even tfrom memory, logged in, went to the Cricketers entry only to find I had already reviewed and rated it and had therefore binned my original manuscript as normal. it makes me wonder ho wmany other times I must have done that and just not noticed...

Millay
26-10-2012, 09:46
In looking for a notebook to take on this trip i found one from a couple of years ago with notes that I had still not written up. I have notebooks and scraps of paper (often betting slips) all over the place with scribbled notes. I sometimes keep notes on the phone but can rarely decipher them!!

Hope you manage to recover yours somehow Quinno

Quinno
26-10-2012, 09:50
I
Hope you manage to recover yours somehow Quinno

Nope :( it was on my mobile and I think I might have fat-fingered the 'discard' button which is handily placed next to save...lesson learnt is that next time I do one email per pub to minimize potential data loss!

I had to dredge the memory banks last night to make new notes. But there's enough for a few lines of review in the next few days.

hondo
26-10-2012, 10:24
often betting slips

i often resort to betting slips when nothing else at hand

oldboots
26-10-2012, 10:54
I don't remember losing any notes, but then I don't remember much these days :D

I often forget to take a notebook and/or pen of course, but like many of us it's decyphering the blasted things when the handwriting has made its inevitable decline into black spiderness.

Farway
26-10-2012, 15:14
the handwriting has made its inevitable decline into black spiderness.

Ahh, the Prince Charles syndrome, know it well

aleandhearty
26-10-2012, 18:22
....Notes in your pint, fallen out of your pocket, eaten by the dog. Or just mysteriously vanished?

Mine just tend to curl up and die, due to lack of attention.

Ahh, the Prince Charles syndrome, know it well

Is it me just being a bit thick? You'll have to enlighten me FW.

rpadam
26-10-2012, 21:02
I now use the mobile version of Microsoft's OneNote program which comes with many Nokias (and can probably be downloaded free for other phone types) which syncs with the web-based 'Windows Live' SkyDrive service and thus makes it quite hard to lose one's notes.

Aqualung
26-10-2012, 21:36

Sorry, but I totally rely on memory which works fine until memory management violations start kicking in. I also only drink pints working on the theory that fewer numbers of beers will make it easier to remember what I drank, hmmmmm.

Quinno
26-10-2012, 22:24
Is it me just being a bit thick? You'll have to enlighten me FW.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/10/18/prince-charles-letters-still-secret-after-veto/

aleandhearty
27-10-2012, 11:22
http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/10/18/prince-charles-letters-still-secret-after-veto/

Cheers for the link. Passed me by at the time.

trainman
28-10-2012, 09:57
"correspondence would jeopardize the Prince’s transition to the throne"

Urgghh! So many 'Z's creeping in where there should be 'S's. Drives me potty. My email at work actually amends my spelling to 'Z's, most irritating if I miss one and hit send before editing back to the English spelling.
And don't get me started on the number people now using 'amount' instead of number. Grrr!

oldboots
28-10-2012, 10:48
And don't get me started on the number people now using 'amount' instead of number. Grrr!

You've done it now, here's a short list of the latest confusions to drive me potty.

'there', 'their', and 'they're'
'to', 'two' and 'too'
'loose' and 'lose'
'no' and 'know'
and the number of people who are unaware of what 'decimate' actually means, it is not a synonym for 'annihilate' or 'obliterate'.

Anyway on the subject of spell checker atrocities such as changing 'than' to 'then' or either of them to 'that' as well as the US spelling there's this:-

I have a spelling checker,
It came with my pea sea.
It plane lee marks fore my revue
Miss steaks aye can knot see.

Eye ran this poem threw it.
Your sure real glad two no.
Its very polished in it's weigh,
My checker tolled me sew.

A checker is a blessing.
It freeze yew lodes of thyme.
It helps me right awl stiles two reed,
and aides me when aye rime.

Each frays comes posed up on my screen
Eye trussed too bee a joule.
The checker pours o'er every word
To cheque sum spelling rule.

Bee fore a veiling checkers
Hour spelling mite decline,
And if we're laks oar have a laps,
We wood bee maid too wine.

Butt now bee cause my spelling
Is checked with such grate flare,
There are know faults with in my cite,
Of nun eye am a wear.

Now spelling does not phase me,
It does knot bring a tier.
My pay purrs awl due glad den
With wrapped words fare as hear.

To rite with care is quite a feet
Of witch won should be proud,
And wee mussed dew the best wee can,
Sew flaws are knot aloud.

Sow ewe can sea why aye dew prays
Such soft wear four pea seas,
And why eye brake in two averse
Buy righting want too please

ETA
30-10-2012, 07:33
And don't get me started...

OK, cat's out of the bag:

complimentary/complementary (Tescos were quite cross when I insisted that some of their medicine was free)
discreet/discrete
disinterested/uninterested
stationery/stationary
on/onto

And while (I am not a fan of the archaic "whilst") I don't necessarily agree with the "z" versus "s" argument, there are someAmericanisms which really should not appear in English or Scottish English: "invite" used as a noun, "practice" used as a verb, "ass" instead of "arse" (all those poor donkeys who keep getting kicked and enduring internal pain).

[dismounts high-horse]