PDA

View Full Version : TGI Fridays & La Taska, Do they belong on this site

Al 10000
24-10-2012, 17:34
There are 10 TGI Fridays on this site all photographed (thats no surprise) and only 1 review which says not really a pub but a restaurant.

There are 39 La Taska's on this site all photographed (well that shocked me),there are 9 reviews 7 saying this is a restaurant and not a pub and 2 proper reviews.

Do these in my opinion restaurants belong on a pub site.

oldboots
24-10-2012, 19:31
You forgot the Cafes Rouge, my particular bete noir.

The subject has been covered a few times and I think the verdict was "if someone thinks it should be on the site and especially if it's been photographed and /or commented on then it can stay, people usually know full well what TGI, La Tasca and CR are like and if there's a review it will be even clearer"

Mobyduck
24-10-2012, 23:02
You forgot the Cafes Rouge, my particular bete noir.

The subject has been covered a few times and I think the verdict was "if someone thinks it should be on the site and especially if it's been photographed and /or commented on then it can stay, people usually know full well what TGI, La Tasca and CR are like and if there's a review it will be even clearer"
An absolute correct response, I totally agree, but still struggle to understand why anyone would want to add them in the first place.

sheffield hatter
25-10-2012, 12:19
An absolute correct response, I totally agree, but still struggle to understand why anyone would want to add them in the first place.

When I go into Pubs Galore using Internet Explorer I always have to log in (when using Google Chrome I am automatically logged in - don't know why there's a difference, but there you are). On the log in page there's a grey box with these words: Pubs Galore is the comprehensive listing site for pubs & pub lovers of all persuasions. (Emphasis added.)

Farway
25-10-2012, 14:09
When I go into Pubs Galore using Internet Explorer I always have to log in (when using Google Chrome I am automatically logged in - don't know why there's a difference, but there you are). On the log in page there's a grey box with these words: Pubs Galore is the comprehensive listing site for pubs & pub lovers of all persuasions. (Emphasis added.)

'ere we go again, deja vu anyone?

Apart from site name and pedantry I can see no reason why somewhere that sells beer cannot also sell food as it's main income source, and be handy for a drink while your mother in law has a cup of tea & a bite to eat in comfortable surroundings

As SH has emboldened, of "all persuasions", to me this means not just Camra members or folk with beards, socks & sandals who must have a dimpled pint pot with a handle

hondo
25-10-2012, 14:29

Apart from site name and pedantry I can see no reason why somewhere that sells beer cannot also sell food as it's main income source, and be handy for a drink while your mother in law has a cup of tea & a bite to eat in comfortable surroundings

As SH has emboldened, of "all persuasions", to me this means not just Camra members or folk with beards, socks & sandals who must have a dimpled pint pot with a handle

well said :notworthy:
On a trip to London last week i visited a number of bar/restaurants because they happened to be in good locations i.e. nice view of a tourist attraction or i needed a pit stop. It was surprisingly enjoyable to have a drink in somewhat genteel surroundings . Different drinking establishments for different occasions. :cheers:

Al 10000
25-10-2012, 17:24

I like proper pubs but i dont have a beard am not a member of Camra and never wear socks & sandals and i dont like drinking out of a dimpled pint pot,just the same as not everbody up north wears a flat cap and keeps whippets.
I do drink in bars and have enjoyed drinking in Slug and lettuces i have also been in Revolutions,but i think La Taska's,TGI Fridays and Cafe Rouges are a bit to far towards being a restaurant that serves a token beer.

I noticed that none of these chains have been reviewed by yourself or Hondo,if they are that good i would have thought you would have left a review saying so.

Quinno
25-10-2012, 19:14
Remember to be civil everyone and remember that sometimes people will read the written word with a different emphasis to how you thought you'd typed it :cool:

Mobyduck
25-10-2012, 20:01
I like proper pubs but i dont have a beard am not a member of Camra and never wear socks & sandals and i dont like drinking out of a dimpled pint pot,just the same as not everbody up north wears a flat cap and keeps whippets.
I do drink in bars and have enjoyed drinking in Slug and lettuces i have also been in Revolutions,but i think La Taska's,TGI Fridays and Cafe Rouges are a bit to far towards being a restaurant that serves a token beer.

I noticed that none of these chains have been reviewed by yourself or Hondo,if they are that good i would have thought you would have left a review saying so.

I like proper pubs ,don't have a beard but am often stubbly,not a current member of Camra but have been, do wear socks but never with sandles,not keen on dimpled mugs but a glass is a glass ,don't live up north and haven't got a flat cap or Whippet but was in the Holborn Whippet yesterday and have never been in any of the above mentioned chains/bars or ever likely to,so live and let live,I just don't understand the allure of these places,maybe I'm missing something.

hondo
26-10-2012, 08:05

It doesn't matter if a drinking establishment is good, bad or indifferent , reviewed, not reviewed, photographed, not photographed, rated or not rated if it meets the criteria for being on the site then it merits being listed and correctly located on the map. I am sure many people use this site without actually contributing but all traffic to the site must be good and i assume help with advertising revenue.

sheffield hatter
26-10-2012, 09:42

I've never been in TGI Friday, La Tasca, Cafe Rouge or Slug and Lettuce (no problem with chain bars, just an aversion to slugs). But until someone goes into any or all of these establishments, asks for a drink and is refused because they don't want anything to eat, I don't think Dave or Conrad are going to be interested in any suggestion that they should be deleted from the site.

I realised after submitting my previous post that as well as highlighting the words "all persuasions" I should also have highlighted the word "comprehensive". Pubs Galore is the comprehensive listing site for pubs & pub lovers of all persuasions.

For the record, I have a beard but would never dream of wearing socks on the rare occasions that I wear sandals. In fact, it's been too cold and wet to wear sandals here in the north for a couple of years now. Also I'm not sure why my or anyone else's choice of what to wear on foot or head, the part of the country we live in or the shape of the vessel from which we drink our beer or other liquid refreshment should have any bearing on how seriously our views are taken by members of this forum.

Farway
26-10-2012, 16:01
It doesn't matter if a drinking establishment is good, bad or indifferent , reviewed, not reviewed, photographed, not photographed, rated or not rated if it meets the criteria for being on the site then it merits being listed and correctly located on the map. I am sure many people use this site without actually contributing but all traffic to the site must be good and i assume help with advertising revenue.

What he said, and I do have a beard, but no sandals

Farway
26-10-2012, 16:05
Remember to be civil everyone and remember that sometimes people will read the written word with a different emphasis to how you thought you'd typed it :cool:

Sorry if my post got up anyone's nose, it was not meant to, just that the subject of what is a pub etc keeps going round & round and I think Hondo's later post at 0805 today sums it up nicely, if you can get an alcoholic drink then ffs why not list it on here & help the site generate views, Google listings & money?

Mobyduck
26-10-2012, 22:05
I agree with most of the responses on this thread defending the right of the places in question to have a place on the site,they should be listed,but backing up what I believe to be Al's original point as I understand it, what I don't understand is the number of pubs/or places that sell beer added to the site by people who haven't left a review more than likely because they've never been near the place ever but found it on an internet search or read a magazine article, this is of no use to anyone apart from alerting them of its existence.Add pubs but go there first.

Al 10000
27-10-2012, 20:03

I now realise that i will never hold the moral high ground on this forum and that i am fighting a lost cause in trying to get some of these restaurant type
bars off the site.
In the past i have only added pubs that i have been in and took a photo of,but having read a recent post it does'nt really matter
if a pub has a review,photo or rating because if it is on the site then all the better for everyone concerned.

It has bugged me looking at photo's of houses and the like and vast amounts of pubs that closed over 100 years ago being on the site,
now i have given up trying to make things what i thought was better or the site.

I do have a very large dateabase with pubs on it that i have not been in and that i have not wanted to add to this site,this is seperate
from my pubs datebase which contains over 10,000 pubs,so i think i have around 40,000 pubs which i can tap into,this covers
most of southern England and large cities in the midlands and northern England.

So it would more than likely be of help to the site if i added all of these pubs.

This is not what i wanted to do but i have now given up in my fight against restaurants and the like being aded to the site,so i might aswell add
some proper pubs,i will not know if they are open or closed or pulled down.

Mobyduck
27-10-2012, 21:34
This is not what i wanted to do but i have now given up in my fight against restaurants and the like being aded to the site,so i might as well add
Surely a pub should only be added to the site by a person if they have actually been there themselves or have up to date factual knowledge of the pub, I have seen many pubs on the main site added by people who have probably never been there as evidenced by the lack of reviews and way off map locations,put a pub on by all means whether good or bad in your opinion but don't put it on just because its there or was there if you have never seen it yourself.

Rex_Rattus
28-10-2012, 10:27
I do have a very large dateabase with pubs on it that i have not been in and that i have not wanted to add to this site,this is seperate
from my pubs datebase which contains over 10,000 pubs,so i think i have around 40,000 pubs which i can tap into,this covers
most of southern England and large cities in the midlands and northern England.

So it would more than likely be of help to the site if i added all of these pubs.

This is not what i wanted to do but i have now given up in my fight against restaurants and the like being aded to the site,so i might aswell add
Alan, I reckon you should do what you think is right with your pubs database. I wouldn't go to the trouble of adding long closed pubs just because others aren't fussed that there are pseudo bar/restaurant pubs on here. If you think they are worth adding then do it, otherwise don't. In any case, the amount of work you are talking about looks colossal to me. Are you really proposing to check on 30,000 pubs on your database to ensure that they are all on here?

But if you are aware of open pubs that are not on here then in my view you should add them. I don't subscribe to the view that pubs should only be added by those who have personal knowledge of them - as far as I'm concerned it's enough to know they are there for them to be added. If I visit an area then I want to know of all the pubs in that area - it would vex me if there was a pub that I could have visited but didn't know about because someone who did know about it hadn't added it because they hadn't visited it.

Personally, I'm not altogether worried about Cafe Rouges, Tascas and the like being on here. As long as I'm not forced to go in them then they're no problem to me. Also, some of them are housed in former pubs - at least one Cafe Rouge I've reviewed when it was a pub, and that historical perspective would be lost if it was deleted. But perhaps you would only want the unreviewed ones removed.

Maldenman
28-10-2012, 11:56
Surely a pub should only be added to the site by a person if they have actually been there themselves or have up to date factual knowledge of the pub, I have seen many pubs on the main site added by people who have probably never been there as evidenced by the lack of reviews and way off map locations,put a pub on by all means whether good or bad in your opinion but don't put it on just because its there or was there if you have never seen it yourself.

Sorry Moby mate but I can't agree with this. It is surely to the benefit of the site overall to have as comprehensive a database of pubs as possible. I have added a few pubs I've never been to due to hearing of them opening from a reliable source or when I see one I know of in an area I used to live is missing. I do however ensure that said pub is still there before adding it.

Al 10000
28-10-2012, 18:41
Alan, Are you really proposing to check on 30,000 pubs on your database to ensure that they are all on here?

These sort of posts that i do every so often are usually after a good few beers and yesterday it was Harvest Pale in the Stanhope Arms then Home Brew while typeing my tirade.
You are correct about me checking all of my database,it is possible but at the moment i still have loads of proper pubs that are still open to add to the site so i would have no chance of adding all of my closed pubs.

Mobyduck
28-10-2012, 21:35
Sorry Moby mate but I can't agree with this. It is surely to the benefit of the site overall to have as comprehensive a database of pubs as possible. I have added a few pubs I've never been to due to hearing of them opening from a reliable source or when I see one I know of in an area I used to live is missing. I do however ensure that said pub is still there before adding it.
I agree in the comprehensive database being a good thing,what I was trying to get at was don't just go through an A to Z and enter the first pub you find with out a thorough check first,I'm not suggesting anyone here does that,but was trying to avoid misleading information that you can find on other certain sites,i.e. pubs that no longer exist or have been called something else for a couple of years,down to good admin I guess which here is as good as it gets.

Al 10000
04-02-2013, 14:59
Rob Camra's recent review of La Taska in Harrogate says it all about this chain of restaurants.

He starts by saying "this is not a bar but a restaurant" and ends by saying "this is not a pub".

So why are these restaurants still on this PUB site.

ROBCamra
04-02-2013, 15:04
Rob Camra's recent review of La Taska in Harrogate says it all about this chain of restaurants.

He starts by saying "this is not a bar but a restaurant" and ends by saying "this is not a pub".

So why are these restaurants still on this PUB site.

Because you can just go and have a drink in La Tasca, as I'm sure I've pointed out before with regards to the Manchester one, which is definitely a bar as well.

In Harrogate I've seen the outside area packed with drinkers when it's sunny. It wasn't on Saturday though. :p