PDA

View Full Version : 10 of the best pubs - Grauniad

NickDavies
19-02-2010, 10:32
http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/gallery/2010/feb/19/travelfoodanddrink-pubs?picture=359475056

Nice little feature in the paper today. Surprisingly little evidence of gastrification, some real proper pubs. I wonder if even the residents of N1 medialand have at last seen though the gastropubs they used to go on about so much for the shams so many of them are..

oldboots
19-02-2010, 10:39
Glad to see they said ten of the best rather than someone or others 10 best. Good selection of pubs too, from a real ale point of view, about half are on my to do list and I'll probably add the others.

RogerB
19-02-2010, 10:46
A couple of interesting new ones that I haven't come across before. I have done 3 of them (Black Frair, Fat Cat & Swan). Maybe I had a bad day but I wasn't over impressed with the Swan - good but certainly no better than many other country pubs I have been in and personally I prefferred the nearby Chequers at Goldhanger that we visited the same day.

Millay
19-02-2010, 10:47
Some good pubs there Nick and nice to see they are concentrating on the ale. It looks like they have trawled through CAMRA's Pub of the Year archives. Some of the photo's look a bit old though.

trainman
19-02-2010, 10:52
Sadly, I have only two ticked (Blackfriar & Nursery). Four were already on my 'random' mission list, the other four will be added post haste, but visiting will take rather longer.

aleandhearty
19-02-2010, 16:34
Time to 'fess up: I haven't been to any of them. The Nursery's about the closest, but I've no plans to head west in the near future. :(

hopwas
19-02-2010, 16:37
Out of 10 pubs, Legendary The Barton Arms is the only one I actually visited and I was pleased to see it is in second place. I just wish The Barton Arms should relocate to city in Brum.

Farway
19-02-2010, 16:41
Time to 'fess up: I haven't been to any of them. The Nursery's about the closest, but I've no plans to head west in the near future. :(

I'm with you, never been to any of them, or likely to, the closest would be Square & Compass, Dorset but not going to make a trip just for that

aleandhearty
19-02-2010, 16:45
I'm with you, never been to any of them, or likely to, the closest would be Square & Compass, Dorset but not going to make a trip just for that

Let's look at it this way FW, I'm sure we both could come up with ten pubs to match those. :)

hopwas
19-02-2010, 16:54
This pub The Roebuck in Burton Upon Trent.. http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/34286/.. used to be in top 10 in UK 15 years ago. Great character with 10 handpulls (I should note Victorian style handpulls) until one day some idiot decided to buy it and changed to more modern pub. Lost place for top 10 and didnt't try to regain it.

I used to frequent it in my student days in Burton and right next to Burton train station. My last visit was in summer 2006 and it has lost its charm and there was no guest ale on. Only Burton ale on sale.

It's great shame to see pubs losing its charm just like The Roebuck.. :(

Eddie86
19-02-2010, 18:41
I've only been in the Fat Cat, Norwich. 3 days off - Day 1 = drive to Norfolk, Day 2 =1.5hr coach to Norwich, Fat Cat, 1.5hr coach back, day 3 = back to Wales.

worth every penny :D

runningdog
20-02-2010, 22:48
Let's look at it this way FW, I'm sure we both could come up with ten pubs to match those. :)

I'm pretty certain most, if not all, of us could, but that might just be missing a point. A newspaper has come up witha list of ten of the best pubs, and a pretty good list it seems too. How refreshing is that...Here's to whoever it t'were...:drinkup::drinkup:
I've made it two three of them over the years, 'Old Spot', 'Blisland' and the 'Square and Compass'. :cheers:

Rex_Rattus
20-02-2010, 23:02
You're right there rd. I've been to two as well - The Square and Compass and The Blackfriar - the former once, and the latter many times. And two more completely different pubs you would be unlikely to find, which just goes to show that the list isn't just of pubs of a type that the author likes. All ten look very good to me, and I very much doubt whether I would want to walk past any of them!

aleandhearty
20-02-2010, 23:17
I'm pretty certain most, if not all, of us could, but that might just be missing a point. A newspaper has come up witha list of ten of the best pubs, and a pretty good list it seems too.

Hey 'rd' I always feel inadequate when I've never been to any of the pubs on these lists. No need to kick the straws I'm clutching at out of my hands! :D

Oggwyn Trench
20-02-2010, 23:25
Hey 'rd' I always feel inadequate when I've never been to any of the pubs on these lists. No need to kick the straws I'm clutching at out of my hands! :D

I have rarely done any pubs on these lists , i`m sure most of us on these forums could come up with a list to equal if not better than those the journos come up with

arwkrite
21-02-2010, 09:19
The Nags Head, Malvern , Bank Street , Worcs is the nearest to me and in honesty not far at all. I visited a couple of pubs in Malvern years ago when the mrs was sprye but its not the best of places for a push type wheel chair.If I could think of a good reason to go to Malvern I would visit the pub but I come out in a rash when surrounded by Global Rambling Tourists. Its a wonder they have not worn the Malvern Hills flat.

runningdog
21-02-2010, 11:08

Oh, it ain't that bad, me old son, while I've been in the S&Q a few times recently, it's only once each for the other two. A flying visit to the Blisland, paying me dues as it were and I only remember I've been there, nowt about it. Had a meal in the Old Spot about 10 or 12 years ago, always meant to go back but never got round to it. My loss it would seem...:drinkup::drinkup: