PDA

View Full Version : London 18.11.12

gillhalfpint
02-10-2012, 11:04
We are staying at Chertsey to visit Egham beer festival for a few days in November, and Sunday 18th is a spare day, so plan to go into London to explore a new area.

Planning to do E8 Pembury Tavern, the only one I have done before, Cock Tavern and London Fields Brewery, then move over to E10/17 for Drum JDW, King William IV and Olde Rose and Crown, then to E20 for Tap East.

Trying to sort a few buses out as the underground steps to surface are a bit hard for Ray to cope with. Pub groups may be walkable though. I have drawn a line map from googling them.

Gill

Mobyduck
02-10-2012, 11:31
We are staying at Chertsey to visit Egham beer festival for a few days in November, and Sunday 18th is a spare day, so plan to go into London to explore a new area.

Planning to do E8 Pembury Tavern, the only one I have done before, Cock Tavern and London Fields Brewery, then move over to E10/17 for Drum JDW, King William IV and Olde Rose and Crown, then to E20 for Tap East.

Trying to sort a few buses out as the underground steps to surface are a bit hard for Ray to cope with. Pub groups may be walkable though. I have drawn a line map from googling them.

Gill

You should like the pembury tavern, plenty of good beer to choose from,although not all hand pumps are on during the day.

gillhalfpint
02-10-2012, 13:38
I have another I may add which may be reachable from Tap East, and that is Crate Brewery.

Aqualung
06-10-2012, 21:59

Gill

Firstly, as it's a Sunday you MUST check the TFL website for weekend engineering.

If you are coming in by Train through Clapham Junction you can change there for the North London Line, now known as the Overground for a train to Willesden Junction where you can get off and wait for a train towards Stratford and get off at Hackney Central. I don't know whether the Clapham Junction change can be made without crossing that bridge over all the lines, nor do I know what the situation is at Hackney Central. Walthamstow Central DOES have lifts up to the Bus Station.

There are plenty of buses between the Cock Tavern and the Pembury. To get to The Drum/William you need to get either a 48 , 55 or a 56 bus. All three will drop you literally on the doorstep of the Drum. The King William is Diagonally across the Bakers Arms junction.

To get to the Rose and Crown you can either wait for a 97 bus from outside Tesco's opposite the William or get any bus other than the 55 to Walthamstow Central and from there a 97,34 or 215 from the NE corner of the bus station and get off at Jewel Road.

The Southbound 97 will take you to Stratford City (wherever that is, in my World E20 is the fictional Eastenders Walford).

Hope this helps.

gillhalfpint
06-10-2012, 22:19
Thanks. I have copied the above as the bus info is great. Looking forward to it.

Aqualung
07-10-2012, 17:50
The bus from Hackney to the Baker's Arms stops right by the newish Antic pub The Clapton Hart on the South West side of the roundabout at the end of Lea Bridge Road. I haven't been there but it looks good if you can stomach the prices.

The Bell in Walthamstow (ex Antic couple going it alone) should be open by then. It is one bus stop North of the Rose and Crown on the North East corner of the Forest Road/Hoe Street junction, better known as Bell Corner. Again, I don't expect it to be cheap.

gillhalfpint
07-10-2012, 18:23
Thanks. I am getting all the info together great now. Looks like a few in the same area which helps.

Aqualung
31-10-2012, 15:05
The Bell has announced that it will be opening this Thursday night.

gillhalfpint
31-10-2012, 15:07
Thanks. I had it on my original list, so if time permits we can make it there on the Sunday.

trainman
01-11-2012, 12:37
I'm sure you'll want to tick it for the word 'brewery' Gill, but London Fields brewery was the nadir of a very ordinary (as it turned out) crawl last Sat.
£2 for halves of extremely forgettable beer (choice of 2 on gravity) in plastic glasses in an exposed corrugated iron shack.

We were originally destined for Portsmouth until Jonesey called to say he was tight on time and would only have a couple of minutes changeover at Victoria.
"Erm, tighter than you think mate - we're all waiting at Waterloo!"

gillhalfpint
01-11-2012, 13:34
I did have London Fields down as we were so close, so e-mailed them to check if they would be open, and they were kind enough to reply, but sadly they won't be open that Sunday.

Added 9.11.12. We get to Chertsey on Wednesday, and have checked on here for pubs in the walkable area. As well as the 2 Good Beer Guide pubs we know - Coach and Horses and Thyme at the Tavern - I have a few more. Kingfisher, Boathouse, Crown, (Youngs we did in August), Castle, Prince Regent, King's Head, George, Ghurka Lounge, and Swan.

Does anyone have any gen on these that may be useful. Lots of ancient reviews around.

Aqualung
09-11-2012, 23:30
I did have London Fields down as we were so close, so e-mailed them to check if they would be open, and they were kind enough to reply, but sadly they won't be open that Sunday.

Added 9.11.12. We get to Chertsey on Wednesday, and have checked on here for pubs in the walkable area. As well as the 2 Good Beer Guide pubs we know - Coach and Horses and Thyme at the Tavern - I have a few more. Kingfisher, Boathouse, Crown, (Youngs we did in August), Castle, Prince Regent, King's Head, George, Ghurka Lounge, and Swan.

Does anyone have any gen on these that may be useful. Lots of ancient reviews around.

I can't help you at all with Chertsey, I've been to the Young's one and isn't there a Fullers one somewhere there?

The Bell is definitely open, but I gather it's around the £3.50 a pint mark. It opens at 16:00 on weekdays and 12:00 at weekends.

The Drum had the London Fields Love Not War a couple of weeks ago so you may get lucky there. I didn't try it but can wholly recommend Redemption and ELB beers if they are on.