PDA

View Full Version : Whatpub.com

gillhalfpint
28-09-2012, 13:15
CAMRA launch of a pub site. Fear not. It is soooo sloooowwww. Haven't managed to find anything I have searched for and it will have a long way to go to be serious opposition to either established site.

ROBCamra
28-09-2012, 13:22
I think they may have taken the site down as IE cannot connect to it at the moment.

sheffield hatter
28-09-2012, 16:44
I got into it OK, but it's a waste of space. There are only 21,000 pubs listed and there is no process for adding missing ones other than to send an email to your local Camra branch offering to help them update the system. One of the most valuable tools in the Pubs Galore system is the ability to submit a new pub. This Camra system hasn't been properly thought through.

ROBCamra
28-09-2012, 17:01
I looked up The Baum on it.

It's miles out on the map, no-one would ever find it following this.

There's no way to move it either.

It says it's near the rail station, it isn't, ask Trainman. :evilgrin:

What a waste of money. :moremad:

gillhalfpint
28-09-2012, 17:14
I was trying to find the Wellington in Birmingham, and eventually got the nearest pub to New Street station .. .. .. in Smethwick!!

sheffield hatter
28-09-2012, 22:15
There's some interesting stuff on a tab labelled Branches (http://whatpub.com/branches). This shows the extent to which branches have complied with the requirement to list their pubs on the database. This explains, for example, why none of the pubs in Sheffield exist yet.

Interestingly, there is some wording that seems to have leaked from a "for your eyes only" version:

Before we can launch WhatPub to the general public we need to ensure that:

We have an acceptable geographical coverage of the UK.
The scope of pub data in each branch area is acceptable.
WhatPub overall compares favourably against the incumbent competition, and particularly, Beer in the

Evening.

This suggests that the launch is actually a little premature. Also, the new site not only compares unfavourably with Bite, it is equally clearly nowhere near as good as PuG.:D

Aqualung
28-09-2012, 22:40
I looked at this and discovered I had to be registered at CAMRA.ORG, but could not find a way of registering. I am a life member and have a membership number but could not see how to do it!
I've never bothered too much with the CAMRA wbesite before as to me it seems pretty rubbish.

oldboots
28-09-2012, 22:48
I looked at this and discovered I had to be registered at CAMRA.ORG, but could not find a way of registering. I am a life member and have a membership number but could not see how to do it!
I've never bothered too much with the CAMRA wbesite before as to me it seems pretty rubbish.

The password is your postcode with no spaces.

AlanH
29-09-2012, 09:55
Setting their targets to be as good as bItE is clearly not very ambitious.

The site is not even up to the standard as the fairly new "Perfect Pint" real ale guide (which used the Camra good beer guide as their base).

I have told What Pub to take a look at PuG if they have any intention of being the best pub guide.
They have a long way to go in content and updating structure.

gillhalfpint
29-09-2012, 10:52
I have just tried a correction. The Court House in Dudley has 3 regular ales and 99 guests, and I have suggested it might be 9 guests.

It is a lot faster today than yesterday, so I have had a look round. You do need to check the branch to see if it is still red or gone up to green. No use trying to find Birmingham pubs yet, but I have tried Cornwall ones and it does work.

Looked up Salmon in Leicester, Salmon didn't work but Salmon Leicester did.

Will be another reference site I reckon rather than one I want to keep on my tab.

Gill

PaulOfHorsham
29-09-2012, 14:07
One might have expected a link (and, indeed, article) on CAMRA's home page. I've searched in vain but found nothing.

gillhalfpint
29-09-2012, 17:39
At the moment only CAMRA members can view the WhatPub site, so if it is on the CAMRA website you will need to sign in to locate it I expect. I went in from the e-mail they sent.

Gill

rpadam
29-09-2012, 17:54
At the moment only CAMRA members can view the WhatPub site, so if it is on the CAMRA website you will need to sign in to locate it I expect. I went in from the e-mail they sent.
Tried logging in, but still can't see a link...

gillhalfpint
29-09-2012, 18:17
I logged in and pit "WhatPub" in search box. It came up but said restricted access and I need to be a CAMRA member to get in. It told me to log on, but I was already logged on, so ?????

As I have been there I have it in favourites now, so don't need to go through the CAMRA site. I did google WhatPub and it did bring it up. Think it took me to CAMRA page. Will have another go.

http://whatpub.com/login

Try that from google. It worked for me.

Gill

oldboots
29-09-2012, 18:22
This link (http://whatpub.com/login) should take you to the login page, enter your membership number without leading zeros then your postcode without spaces as the password (unless you've been and changed it like a good member), click on the login button as return/enter button doesn't seem to work.

Bear in mind only pubs in those branches areas that have uploaded information to the WhatPub site will be there, as Gill says check the "which branches have achieved amber or green status" or the "which branches have already contributed?" links to see if it's worth going further in an area.

You may also need to put in either a town or pubname + town in the search box for reasonable results; you can also stick in a county name.

Mobyduck
29-09-2012, 23:40
Sounds like hard work to me, they've not done their homework.

Aqualung
29-09-2012, 23:44
The password is your postcode with no spaces.

Hi OldBoots,

I tried with my membership number and postcode without spaces (that is pretty rubbish programming in itself) and still no result.

My Camra membership card is an 8 digit number with four leading zeroes. I can't believe how bad their web site is and what on earth are the permanent staff being paid to do. They are trying to persuade members to convert to the online WB but with this shambles their is no way I'm going to do that.

oldboots
30-09-2012, 09:06
Hi OldBoots,

I tried with my membership number and postcode without spaces (that is pretty rubbish programming in itself) and still no result.

My Camra membership card is an 8 digit number with four leading zeroes. I can't believe how bad their web site is and what on earth are the permanent staff being paid to do. They are trying to persuade members to convert to the online WB but with this shambles their is no way I'm going to do that.

You shouldn't put in the leading zeros of the membership number, it doesn't recognise them as your user name. Otherwise it sounds like you will need to contact St Albrans for an answer, try this page (http://www.camra.org.uk/password) or the main man for whatpub brett.laniosh@camra.org.uk. The postcode password is only the default, you're supposed to change it for security reasons.

Aqualung
30-09-2012, 09:22
Thanks for the tips, I finally got in. The info button at the side of the membership number field states
this :-

"Ensure Membership Number is six digits. If it is less, please include leading zeroes at the start, e.g. 001234".

Good work CAMRA!!!!

oldboots
30-09-2012, 09:28
Thanks for the tips, I finally got in. The info button at the side of the membership number field states
this :-

"Ensure Membership Number is six digits. If it is less, please include leading zeroes at the start, e.g. 001234".

Good work CAMRA!!!!

I don't see anything about six digits, I'm using firefox, little about Camra makes much sense though :D

Aqualung
30-09-2012, 17:40
I don't see anything about six digits, I'm using firefox, little about Camra makes much sense though :D

I'm referring to the Camra.org web page rather than whatpub. There is an info icon just to the right of the membership number field. When the mouse button hovers over it the above is shown (in IE9).

oldboots
30-09-2012, 21:20
Ah, I see. That's where you change your default password for something more secure....if you can log into the members area!

I did mine ages ago on the old website so I don't know what the current bit looks like

Aqualung
01-10-2012, 00:06
No problems!

They seem to be using an expanded GBG format which seems to me to be a bit over the top. Do we really need to know if a pub is "dog friendly"? The term may have a completely different meaning in Newcastle.

I can't see the project ever being completed with so much detail required. I also wasn't sure whether they intend to include all pubs or just ones selling real ale and/or cider.

My local branch which includes most of East London and most of the City seem to have done nothing sp far. I'm not surprised given the number of pubs involved. There seem to be few pubs even GBG listed ones that have the full details that I've seen so far.

I would have thought that all Spoons should have cask ale plus lunch and evening meals. It's hard to see how all these details can be obtained without interrogating the Landlord/Manager/Owner.

gillhalfpint
01-10-2012, 00:41
What I found missing was wi-fi info. There are pubs in Cornwall with wi-fi available with Superfast Broadband that works quicker in the pub than it does on USB dongle in the caravan.

oldboots
01-10-2012, 07:14
They seem to be using an expanded GBG format

I think this is to use the same database that the GBG is complied from. They are slightly more IT savvy than you might think.

I can't see the project ever being completed with so much detail required.

You've hit it on the nail there, I guess this is why it took so long to get where it is. Some (most?) Camra branches haven't got the resources to acquire all the details required for "green" status.

Aqualung
01-10-2012, 23:33
I think the way ahead for this project is to make available a form for CAMRA members to add pubs with just the name and address and any optiional details.

I also think that there sould be another form with all the possible details but none compulsory.

AlanH
02-10-2012, 08:46
Camra were going to bring out "What Pub" next year when it was more complete, but the "Perfect Pint" site forced them to launch it early to stop being upstaged by another site that was using Camra info as its base.

Updating WP is still only via the local branch (active or otherwise!), but hybrid "feeder" sites such as "HOPS" or "Pubzilla" can be used if the local branch uses it.

Al 10000
03-10-2012, 17:01
I have read most posts on this thread and i think i am right in saying that if you are NOT a Camra member you are not allowed to view this site.
If that is the case then they will only have a maximum of 120,000 people who are allowed to view it,surely this is not enough to keep it going.
I am one of those who are not allowed to view this site,why are Camra not letting normal mortals like myself to see this new site :confused::sick:

Aqualung
03-10-2012, 17:59
As I understand it they are not going to go public with it until it reaches a certain level of completion.
The idea is that CAMRA members will jump up and volunteer to do the surveys, but with the level of detail they are aiming at I certainly won't be bothering.

The online form for East London has dispense methods of Handpump or Gravity, no mention of Keykeg which I understand is now CAMRA approved.

I gather they want to include keg (ie proper gassy keg) only pubs as well. What on earth is the point of having anything more than just the name and address for these?

hondo
04-10-2012, 08:35
I'm not a member of camra but did find the following on the net
http://www.thcamra.org.uk/cms/images/Files/t%26h%20whatpub%20survey%20form.pdf

"Only CAMRA has a semi-willing army of volunteers who can survey all the pubs." :rolleyes:
http://help.camrahops.com/whatpub_org.htm

Dave M
04-10-2012, 11:17
I'm no longer a CAMRA member so can't see the new version of the site.

Does it differ much from the old version which can still be seen here under a new name http://www.camrahops.com/?

ROBCamra
04-10-2012, 11:21

Does it differ much from the old version which can still be seen here under a new name http://www.camrahops.com/?

I wouldn't worry Dave, it's a pile of poo at the moment.

They told the local branch meeting at The Baum on Tuesday that they'd launched this "amazing new pub site".

After the meeting I told several of the attendees not to bother with it if they want to actually FIND a pub and gave out all the PuG cards I had. ;)

Oggwyn Trench
04-10-2012, 11:44
If other CAMRA groups around the country are like our local group it will be useless , they refuse to accept the existance of any pub , other than their favorites

oldboots
04-10-2012, 16:38

camrahops is one of three, yes three, pub review sites that should automatically feed the main WhatPubs site, it should be automatic but it's not. You can't add photos very easily either, so looks like CAMRA has missed the bus on this one. So the short answer is no, the WhatPub site is much clunkier than the Hops site you can see.

ETA
05-10-2012, 12:44
"Only CAMRA has a semi-willing army of volunteers who can survey all the pubs." :rolleyes:
http://help.camrahops.com/whatpub_org.htm

That may be true - PuG members are completely willing, whereas some CAMRA "volunteers" are co-opted by familly and workmates.

AlanH
06-10-2012, 10:03
My local branch (Vale of Clwyd) has yet to subscribe so I am in a "publess" area.

Elsewhere the map points are well out. To alter them you have to get the pubs coordinates and send them to the local branch!! I doubt if I will manage more than 2, rather than 2,000!!