PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 30th September 2012)

ROBCamra
24-09-2012, 15:35
hondo: Moorhouses 1212
london calling: Tonbridge Capel Pale
Real Ale Ray: Wold Top Angler's Reward
Oggwyn Trench: Blue Monkey Ape Ale
Bucking Fastard: Crouch Vale Brewers Gold
Mobyduck: Darkstar Kiwi
oldboots: Nogne O Pale Ale
Wittenden: Old Dairy Sun Top
aleandhearty: Hornbeam Citrus Temptation
Old Blue: Whole Hop Brewery (McMullen's) Wild Brambler
Pubsignman: Dorking Red India Ale
ROBCamra: Hornbeam Francesca

hondo
28-09-2012, 06:57
Moorhouse's - 1212

london calling
29-09-2012, 19:43
lots of average beers this week inc
larkins -traditional
wentworth -castillo
coastal -merry maidens mild
gadds green hop
swan -trumpeter
so the final 3 are
great heck -angel
old dairy -fresh
tonbridge -capel pale
and the winner is Capel pale(nice hoppy pale ale).
cheers

Real Ale Ray
30-09-2012, 13:09
Wold Top - Angler's Reward

Oggwyn Trench
30-09-2012, 17:31
A few good ones this week

Prospect - Golden Prospects
Salamander - Cygnet
Accorn - Harvester
Empire - Mick the Miller
Springhead - The Bees Knees
Navigation - Classic IPA
Blue Monkey - Ape Ale

BOTW Blue Monkey - Ape Ale , just shades it from the Navigation

Bucking Fastard
30-09-2012, 19:09
A much quieter week with an old faithful as BOTW,Crouch Vale Brewers Gold a great session beer in The Edgar Wallace.

Next week could be a bumper,Manchester to Macclesfield by boat,then the Black Country Tour:nishelypished:

Mobyduck
30-09-2012, 19:54
Beers this week-
Caledonian Deuchars IPA
Triple fff Pressed Rat and Warthog
Triple fff Altons Pride
Triple fff Moondance
Bowmans Swift One
Bowmans Wallops Wood
Bowmans Warbler
Darkstar Hophead
Darkstar Kiwi
Adnams Ghost Ship

BOTW goes to Darkstar Kiwi for the second week in a row,a very flavoursome tasty beer.

oldboots
30-09-2012, 21:32
Dreadful week for beer but then I wasn't out much. Best beer of the week was a bottle of Nogne O Pale Ale - stunning and I've still got a bottle of their Porter and IPA left at home. BOTW next week is likely to be Sarah Hughes Ruby Mild as we're going to the Beacon in Sedgeley on Friday.

Wittenden
30-09-2012, 23:19
Light and dark in the Chequers:
Kent Brewery-Cobnut: I found this a dark ruby beer, nutty and astringent. I think it was heading towards the turn, but unfortunately I'm yet to find a beer from this new brewery that I have enjoyed. They do some big hoppy ones, but I haven't seen 'em yet!
Old Dairy-Sun Top: a delectable Pale Ale of modest ABV, but packed full of flavour. Some say it has Amarillo hops, but the pumpclip says"the finest Kentish hops". I know which way I'll vote. My BOTW ,and in line for Beer of the Year.

aleandhearty
01-10-2012, 00:09
A fairly low key week for me, with just one session at my village local's beer festival:

Fernandes - Yorkshire Tyke.
Fernandes - Octoberfest.
Hornbeam - Citrus Temptation.
Rat - White Rat.
Burley Street Brewhouse - Gold.
Rat - Queen Rat.
Potbelly - Captain Pigwash.
Ossett - Route 66.

Really, only a competition between The White Rat and the Temptation, with the latter shading it.

Old Blue
01-10-2012, 08:52
A few beers for me during the week:
Rudgate Ruby Mild
Acorn Euro IPA
Pilgrim's Progress
Twickenham Autumn Blaze
Cottage Battle of Britain
Cottage Somerset & Dorset Ale

Followed by a weekend in St Albans, with some excellent pubs and a beer festival I had somehow failed to spot in advance:
Buntingford Royston Red
Titanic Anchor
XT American Amber
Gales HSB
Caledonian Autumn Red
Harviestoun Bitter & Twisted
Red Squirrel Mr. Squirrel
Tring Boadicea
Derwent Carlisle State Bitter
RCH Double Header
Oakham Green Devil
Oakham Black Baron
Oakham Untouchable
O'Hanlons Goldblade
Caledonian Flying Scotsman
Salopian Hop Twister

Quite a few of these could have been BOTW in any other week, especially the Double Header, Hop Twister and any of the Oakhams, and I was mulling over a tough decision until we stopped for lunch on the way back and I had a pint of Whole Hop Brewery (McMullen's) Wild Brambler, a deliciously fruity golden little number in the Stag, a gastropub in Heronsgate, which we only went to because the Land of Liberty wasn't serving food.

Pubsignman
03-10-2012, 11:25
I was in the Evening Star, Brighton, on Saturday and having heard it discussed on these forums recently, I decided to try the Dark Star Green Hopped IPA. It may well have been a BOTW contender but misses out as it was served in a flimsy plastic cup due to it being match day in Brighton.

Plenty of other good beer to pick from though, including Dark Star Espresso, RCH East Street Cream and Triple fff Moondance, but BOTW goes to another IPA, Dorking Red India Ale, enjoyed in the Claret, Addiscombe, where the beer is very much back on top form.

hondo
03-10-2012, 14:15
I was in the Evening Star, Brighton, on Saturday and having heard it discussed on these forums recently, I decided to try the Dark Star Green Hopped IPA.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Darkstarbrewco/status/253478916759642112/photo/1

https://mobile.twitter.com/Darkstarbrewco/status/253487933619855361/photo/1

Mobyduck
03-10-2012, 15:17
I was in the Evening Star, Brighton, on Saturday and having heard it discussed on these forums recently, I decided to try the Dark Star Green Hopped IPA. It may well have been a BOTW contender but misses out as it was served in a flimsy plastic cup due to it being match day in Brighton.

I will be drinking Darkstar Greenhopped IPA this Saturday out of glass and predict it will be my BOTW barring any mishaps.

ROBCamra
04-10-2012, 11:57
A very quiet week for me with only 2 pubs visited, although I did visit them more than once each. :p

Elland Eden was a good pint in The Regal Moon. The best of a fairly poor selection this week in there.

BOTW though is Hornbeam Francesca, tried in The Baum of course.

I think that Hornbeam are a bit hit & miss with their beers, but this one was definitely a 3 pinter hit. :cheers:

aleandhearty
04-10-2012, 17:19
BOTW though is Hornbeam Francesca.....I think that Hornbeam are a bit hit & miss with their beers, but this one was definitely a 3 pinter hit. :cheers:

I'm almost certain I've not had an Hornbeam beer before, but I thought the Citrus Temptation was pretty good. However, it was the first one of the day, on a fresh palate, so I'm sure that helped. Maybe they've upped their game? Two nominations in one week.