PDA

View Full Version : Town with no pub closures

Grailhunter
17-09-2012, 11:22
In these times when pubs being boarded up and / or demolished is almost a daily event, it is heartening to hear of one town where only one pub has closed in the last 30 years !

Witney in Oxfordshire has 28 pubs. The same number it had 30 years ago. During that time only one pub has closed but another, a Wetherspoons, has opened.

Surely this must be some sort of record. Does anyone know of any other large town which can boast a similar statistic ?

Aqualung
17-09-2012, 22:05
Llanbedr in North Wales (near Harlech) has three pubs all of which are Inns/Hotels and as far as I know are all still running.

I don't think that this is what you actually wanted to know!

In NE London there are whole rafts of mostly Victorian pubs closed down, most of which sold rubbish beer.
I don't think this is just down to beer duty and cheap supermarket prices, but more to the fact that when they were built there wasn't any alternative for a drink and beer was cheap.

How about N6 (Highgate) for pubs not having closed down? Even the Spoons was originally a pub!

Millay
18-09-2012, 12:36
Surely this must be some sort of record. Does anyone know of any other large town which can boast a similar statistic ?

I suspect there are some villages but very few towns that can boast the same thing. Do you think it might be something to do with the fact that you live nearby ?? ; )

Spinko
18-09-2012, 20:02
I think I must live next to the road with the most closed pubs. Chapel Street, Salford. Every corner seems to have a (long since) closed pub - probably around 7 or 8 within 5 minutes walk. I do wonder what this area was like in a previous generation..

AlanH
19-09-2012, 11:10
I think I must live next to the road with the most closed pubs. Chapel Street, Salford. Every corner seems to have a (long since) closed pub - probably around 7 or 8 within 5 minutes walk. I do wonder what this area was like in a previous generation..

Eccles, just up the road from Salford, had a proud record of no closures from WW2 to the 1990's. Since then, there has been several closures but the town still has many traditional street corner locals.

Spinko
20-09-2012, 18:39
Eccles, just up the road from Salford, had a proud record of no closures from WW2 to the 1990's. Since then, there has been several closures but the town still has many traditional street corner locals.

I ran through Eccles a couple of weeks ago. It's like a third world country and everyone looks ill. An area where there is severe deprivation yet strangely you feel safe - not many places like that around..