PDA

View Full Version : Channel Islands

ETA
10-09-2012, 16:14
Am I going mad again, or is it not possible to review jersey and guernsey pubs here?

Farway
10-09-2012, 17:06
I cannot answer for Conrad & co, but maybe because they are separate jurisdiction & do not have Post Codes? Just a guess & likely to be wrong as usual

ETA
10-09-2012, 17:25
They do have a post code - I tried to put in the one I was in last nigjt: je2 4wg - but the database just says it's not a valid postcode

Al 10000
10-09-2012, 18:02
I cannot answer for Conrad & co, but maybe because they are separate jurisdiction & do not have Post Codes? Just a guess & likely to be wrong as usual

I think you are right about that Farway,because they have a seperate jurisdiction they are not a part of the United Kingdom, they are under the Crown which is why the Queens Head is on their stamps but as i said before not a part of the Uk which is the reason why the pubs on these island are not on Pubs Galore.

Millay
15-09-2012, 14:48
I think it's generally based around post codes as I was able to add a number of pubs in Belfast following a visit. They use a UK post code system whilst the south doesn't. Although Jersey and Guernsey have UK looking post codes I wonder if they are on a separate system than those on the mainland. But you are right, the search page does say that pubs in Jersey are not supported. If you have a few reviews maybe set up a thread on the forums to hold them. I did this for Gibraltar, although I've not yet completed it.

NickDavies
15-09-2012, 15:49
I guess because they have their own postal systems, not the Royal Mail, thus is is a different database.

ETA
16-09-2012, 11:25
Millay, I intend to do exactly that when I get back. Trying to do it on an iPod on a rocking boat is just too difficult.

ETA
19-09-2012, 12:57
Now I'm back on dry land and settled, my Odyssey complete, I'll start putting my notes on CI pubs down.

After over a week at sea, almost any pint would have done, but as luck would have it, the first pub you see when leaving the Marina showers in St Helier is the Ha'penny Bridge, a three-storey Victorian sea-front house situated just over the road from the Maritime Museum (which also harbours, as it were, the Marina Offices and facilities).

The Ha'penny Bridge is a freehouse and resembles the lovechild of a continental cafe and a European Irish bar. Indeed, it says "Irish Bar" on the sign outside, but it has at the front all the table and chairs you would expect to find in front of, say, a French pavement cafe. Inside is a single large bar, quite dark, but with comfy seats and a loud, friendly atmosphere (and that's before they start on the live acts). The staff were congenial and efficient, happy to chat and full of good humour. The clientele seemed to include a lot of happy Canadians drinking "authentic" Guiness and proving that their French was actually not as good as most Jersey-ites'.

Three taps on the bar (alongside the usual selection of Guiness, Megekeg and continental urea-based beverages), but only one ale on - the locally-brewed Liberation Ale, which was very pleasant indeed, full of flavour and most welcome.

A definite for quenching a sea-induced thirst and a good place to start a St Helier crawl. A solid 7/10 to start the libations.

ETA
19-09-2012, 13:18
Just across a potentially lethal road junction from the Ha'penny Bridge, on the corner of Route de la Liberation and what I think is Mulcaster Street is another three storey late-Victorian house built in 1899, the Southampton Hotel. This is a traditional seaside pub, with two bars on the ground floor and a well-preserved original structure.It has tv screens - both flat screen and an old CRT set - but these were switched off despite the abundance of sporting opportunities, including the Paralympic closing ceremony being available.

The general air was of "unhurriedness"; the framed pictures around the walls seemed to suck the vigour out of the day, the decor is shabby, the clientele mostly old French people (and a few old locals). It felt a bit dark and dingy. On the plus side, the beer was good - Liberation Ale (again) which was fresh, tasty and very thirst-quenching. We quenched our thirsts 4 or 5 times and left sated.

It's ok for a quick, quiet pint, but it lacks substance as pubs go. A workmanlike 6/10.

ETA
20-09-2012, 11:51
Just inland from the Marina a little way up Mulcaster Street is The Lamplighter, a CAMRA favourite and GBG regular. It's a traditional town pub, narrow and long, with a small drinking area at the front which has a variety of seats and a larger drinking/dining area behind, mostly taken up by tables laid out for diners. The floors are carpeted, there are tv screens which don't really intrude and there is a selection of tankards hanging from the ceiling. It's atmospheric, and it still has on display the original gas lamps which reflect its name, and there is a pewter-topped bar in part. It prides itself on serving the best pub grub in Jersey; I can't vouch for the validity of that, but it was nonetheless a good bar meal, served by the chef himself who was very good natured. The staff were friendly and knowledgable (with the exception of one surly female), while the clientele were eclectic and, for the most part, civilised.

Behind the front bar is an ominous looking collection of bell jars containing various coulours of (what look home-made) fruit vodkas, politely labelled as toxic. The jewel in the crown is the beer: 8 ales and Old Rosie cider. I quality checked the Wychwood Bountiful, Marston's Five Hops, Wells's Eagle, Old Thumper, Forty Niner, EPA and Courage Best before last orders was called and found every single one to be in top condition.

A must for ale lovers and a definite inclusion in any crawl. Gets a 9/10 from me.

ETA
20-09-2012, 12:09
A little way up from The Lamplighter, still on Mulcaster Street, is a rather grand looking edifice called Chambers, which appears to have been a hotel at some point. On entering, its true nature is revealed - it is a schizophrenic night club which tries to appeal to both the teenage clubber and and more sophisticated customer, and like all hybrids, it completely fails to be good at both. It consists of a long suite of room son the ground floor, the front bar trying to look like a London jazz club (the white grand piano is just silly here), the longer rear bar full of bored staff and uninteresting, brain-dead teeanage boors.

There were only two ales on, and neither was on top form. This wouldn't be my first choice of venue anywhere, let alone Jersey, and at best I would give it a 4/10.

ETA
20-09-2012, 12:26
Moving from Mulcaster Street into Bond Street, one hears the noise from Bond's, a back street bar which is lively, sort-of-musical and guarded by nicotine bouncers with Glaswegian accents. It's an Irish Bar with a difference - no Republican sympathies in this bar, Rangers supporters are welcome (if they can still afford it) and Celtic supporters are most definitely not. You would be forgiven for thinking you were in a militant Ulster Unionist bar.

There is a small, shabby bar at the front where the entertainment (and most of the common sense) is provided by a rather timid parrot who is allowed to roam free from his cage. At the rear there is a pool table being hogged by students and an unused dartboard. Throught, the walls are decorated by what can best be described as paramilitary-sympathetic propaganda.

The barman was a bit awkward, and this was the only bar we went in here which wouldn't accept Euros - making a statement, perhaps? Some of the clientele were clearly up for a scrap, but overall it was reasonably peaceful. They do have live music on here, but not when we went in - the npise we heard was from an overloud jukebox.

Not somewhere to which I will return in a hurry. 3/10

ETA
20-09-2012, 15:09
Royal Square, in the centre of St Helier, resembles a continental town square with seating around for the various cafes and bars which surround it. One is a Georgian town house, now a pub called Pierson, named after Major Henry Pierson who bravely defended the Town against the race now known (at least by Clarkson fans) as "cheese eating surrender monkeys" during the Battle of Jersey in 1781.

Inside is a rambling bar with a mix of wood and carpeted floors, jukebox and tv screens. Outside is brightened up by hanging baskets with flowers in and is lively due to the outside seating. The staff are a little unfriendly, but the food is good and the beer average. Two ales on, Bass and Liberation Ale. Both were ok but not brilliant: the Bass was a little insipid and was served too cold, while the Liberation was simply past its best, leaving me wondering how this pub justifies its GBG entry.

It's worth including in a crawl as it is so close to the Cock and Bottle (indeed, you might not even have to change seats) and the food is good, but I think they need to stop resting on their laurels vis a vis the beer. 6/10

ETA
20-09-2012, 15:33
Still in Royal Square (as alluded to, there is no need actually to move if you get the right seat and no-one notices which bar you're buying from) The Cock and Bottle is another Georgian town house housing the Cock and Bottle. It consists of two pleasant bars on the ground and first floors, lots of timber (beams, staircase) on display and appears to have undergone a recent refurb. There is also a stone inglenook on the ground floor, which hints at a much older structure. The staff were fantastically welcoming, friendly and chatty and the atmosphere was very pleasant. Food looked ok, but we had just eaten next door so didn't partake. Free wifi was also available. Only one ale on, Liberation, which was in OK condition and went down well. I'd be happy to come back here anytime and include in a crawl. 7/10

ETA
21-09-2012, 08:52
Further along Mulcaster Street is Halkett Place, an unremarkable shopping street. Half way up is Halkett's, a large, modern wine bar style pub/restaurant, with a slightly trendy feel. It's essentially an open plan, ground floor shop conversion, a bit like an up-market JDW that's been well decorated. Floors are mostly wooden, with a few raised areas which are carpeted. There's a good bistro-style menu and a reasonable selection of wines. The soundtrack was subdued but still made for a pleasant ambiance. Staff were very helpful and friendly, and there was free wifi available.

There were 3 ales on: I had a pint of Liberation Royale, which came i an odd-shaped glass, a bit like a Belgian beer glass. It was served a bit too cold for my liking, but it tasted OK.

I'd happily come back here for a meal and a few pints and I would include on a crawl. 7/10

ETA
21-09-2012, 09:04
After a good day-sail from Jersey, we arrived in St Peter Port, moored on a guest pontoon and took the dinghy across to Victoria Pier. The first pub you see as you leave the Pier is The Ship and Crown, which is entered by walking up a flight of steps as the entrance is a storey above ground level. It's a GBG pub which is garishly painted on the outside, but quite cosy inside. The top floor of the building is occupied by The Crow's nest restaurant, the same business but which only offers bottled beers.

The pub was busy, the staff friendly, but some of the locals were rather tedious, and there was a profusion of drunk teenagers. Other clientele were less othersome, though, so it is a mixed bag here. There were tables and bar stools available, bar snacks,on offer and the ambiance was fine.

Two ales on: I had Liberation Ambree, a French-styled twist from Liberation Ales on Jersey. It was quite pleasant, a bit of a novelty, and made a nice change - I don't think it would become a firm favourite though. It was well kept, however, and the GBG entry seems deserved. I'd be happy to come back anytime, and the pub gets a 7/10 from me.