PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 16th September 2012)

ROBCamra
10-09-2012, 12:00
hondo: Thwaites Wainwright
Aqualung: Hook Norton Double Stout
Oggwyn Trench: Tiny Rebel Urban IPA
Thuck Phat: Oakham Bishops Farewell
Bucking Fastard: Greene King XX Mild
Real Ale Ray: Bartrams Rock of Ages
Mobyduck: Darkstar Hophead
Wittenden: Westerham Spirit of Kent XXX Pale Ale
Old Blue: Harviestoun Wild Hop IPA
oldboots: Salamander Route 66
aleandhearty: Ascot On The Rails
Pubsignman: Sunny Republic Dolphin Amber
Millay: Saltaire Hazelnut Coffee Porter
Alesonly: Hook Norton Double Stout
ROBCamra: Lymestone Sharon Stone

hondo
14-09-2012, 06:59
Thwaites Wainwright

Aqualung
14-09-2012, 23:29
As I don't post very often on the BOTW mainly because I don't get to the pub much more than once a week, I felt compelled to nominate Hook Norton's Double Stout which was in such fine form today that I had a second pint rather than switch to the Old Growler. It's quite a few years since I last drank this excellent beer and the one thought that came into my mind was why on earth do people drink Guinness.

This was in the Leytonstone Spoons the Walnut Tree and the odd thing is that it isn't on the current Spoons guest beer list.

Oggwyn Trench
16-09-2012, 09:40
Nothing like a first home defeat in 34 matches to get you drinking :(

Three Tuns - Solstice
Abbeydale - Fargate
Mallinsons - Topaz Centennial
Kelham Island - Riders on the Storm
Elland - Junga at Heart
Accorn - Forrester
Tunnfield - Devils Chair
Tiny Rebel - Urban IPA

BOTW Tiny Rebel - Urban IPA , a new brewery for me and very impressed with the beer :notworthy:

Tunnfield is also a new Brewery to me , i take it they are from south Shropshire judging by the beers name , Devils Chair is a Shropshire landmark down on the Stipperstones Hills , but can not find anymore info on them :confused:

Mobyduck
16-09-2012, 10:13
Tunnfield is also a new Brewery to me , i take it they are from south Shropshire judging by the beers name , Devils Chair is a Shropshire landmark down on the Stipperstones Hills , but can not find anymore info on them :confused:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tunnfield-Brewery/509040965788954
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=509041249122259&set=a.509041239122260.135990.509040965788954&type=1&theater

Thuck Phat
16-09-2012, 10:46
An old faithful for me as it's the only beer I've had all week: BOTW Oakham Bishops Farewell

Bucking Fastard
16-09-2012, 11:51
Had a pretty extensive tour with Paul of Horsham around Cambridge which threw up a number of fine pints but my BOTW came from Greene King,words that I assumed I would never utter from the brewer responsible for inflicting Abbot Ale,GK IPA,Ruddles Best,Morland Original,Olde Trip,and Old Speckled Hen on unsuspecting drinkers.Their XX MILD was however a quality pint,a fine initial roast flavour with a very dry finish and well kept in The Free Press.Although I dont drink much MILD,this was one of the best for me,getting into practice for The Black Country Tour.:)

Oggwyn Trench
16-09-2012, 14:51
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tunnfield-Brewery/509040965788954
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=509041249122259&set=a.509041239122260.135990.509040965788954&type=1&theater

Cheers for that , i never thought about Facebook , strange for a new brewery not to have its own website , although if you ever go to Minsterly they are still struggling with those new fangled Telephones

Real Ale Ray
16-09-2012, 16:48
Bartrams - Rock of Ages

Mobyduck
16-09-2012, 19:41
Well on the most part its been a week of Darkstar beers ,which is more than alright by me.
Beers this week, all drunk at The Waggon And Horses (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/59679/)
Darkstar Kiwi
Darkstar Partridge
Darkstar American pale ale
Darkstar Hophead
and something different,
West Berks Lottie Dod,

BOTW was nailed on for the kiwi,new to me and at 4% and bursting with citrus flavour a winner,but the Hophead drank today(in some quantity) was sublime,so for the second week running ,
BOTW is Darkstar Hophead.

Wittenden
16-09-2012, 23:28
One beer at the ploughing match:
Westerham-Spirit of Kent XXX Pale Ale: a golden ale, originally brewed as Jubilation ale, but now part of the regular line up. Nine individual varieties of Kent hops used:earthy and spicy, citrus and melon.The complexity grows the further down the glass one gets.Good stuff. My BOTW.

Old Blue
17-09-2012, 08:41
Cropton Hawaii 340
Surrey Hills Shere Drop
Adnams Southwold
Harviestoun Wild Hop IPA
Weasel Ale
Ringwood Best
Marstons Pedigree
Badger Fursty Ferret
Andwell's King John
Oakham Citra

The Harviestoun gets my vote

oldboots
17-09-2012, 09:00
A busy week for beer starting with a trip up the Aire valley with A&H, and including a look at two small breweries

Oakham - JHB
Junction - Blonde
T. Taylors - Landlord
Saltaire - Blonde
Castle Rock - Harvest Pale
Saltaire - Cascadian Black
Copper Dragon - Golden Pippin
Ilkley - Mary Jane
Thornbridge - Kipling
St Peters - Mild
Ilkley - Dinner Ale
Moorhouses - Pirates Gold
Salamander - Route 66
York - Guzzler
Daleside - Old Leg Over
Hawkshead - Windemere Pale
Ossett - Yorkshire Blonde
Greene King - Olde Trip
Greene King - Old Golden Hen
Theakstons - Infallible
Theakstons - Lightfoot
Black Sheep - Progress
Acorn - Barnsley Bitter
Magic Rock - Curious
Knaresborough - Choco/cherry Milk Stout
Magic Rock - Dark Arts

Stand out beers from Junction in Baildon, Knaresborough, and of course Magic Rock, but BOTW is Salamander Route 66

aleandhearty
17-09-2012, 14:51
A decent week, this week, including one of the most thought provoking beers I've had for a long time.

Oakham - JHB.
Boggart - Rum Porter.
Junction - Blonde.
Salamander - Werewolf.
Ilkley - Mary Jane.
Saltaire - Blonde.
Castle Rock - Harvest Pale.
York - Guzzler.
Ossett - Amber Gambler.
Saltaire - Cascadian Black.
Copper Dragon - Golden Pippin.
Ilkley - Chief.
Thornbridge - Kipling.
Kirkstall - Three Swords.
Pennine - Real Blonde.
Ascot - On The Rails.
Scarborough - Scarborough Stout.

BOTW is On the Rails, a 3.8% dark ale with fantastic richness for its strength. Some sources describe it as a MILD, but there's probably too much hop character for that.

I must give a special mention to the Junction Blonde, which was a total surprise. Very pale in colour, I was expecting something citrussy and floral. Instead, it had the unmistakable whiff of the Midlands, with that hint of sulphur on the nose. Very drinkable, but totally unexpected.

Pubsignman
18-09-2012, 00:04
Went to a beer festival back in the Dorset village I grew up in and was pleased to find they had the full range of beers from the nearby Sunny Republic brewery. Hop Dog and Dorset Cross were both very enjoyable but the Dolphin Amber, based on a 1920's recipe from the old Dolphin Poole Brewery, was as good as anything I've had this year.

So BOTW is Sunny Republic Dolphin Amber

Millay
18-09-2012, 13:30
Without a doubt it was Saltaire Hazelnut Coffee Porter.

Alesonly
20-09-2012, 01:47
Late entry for last weeks Ale of the week. Hook Norton Double Stout Perfect Pint.

ROBCamra
20-09-2012, 10:12
I have to admit that choosing a BOTW for this week was hard work.

Not one beer stood head and shouders above the rest which is what usually happens.

Wychwood Jester Jack was pretty good and Stroud - Stroud Bitter was also in the frame.

The winner is going to be Lymestone Sharon Stone. A very good tasty beer for 4% and I had three on Saturday night.

It's also got a very amusing pump clip (See beer label of the week thread). :cheers: