PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 9th September 2012)

ROBCamra
04-09-2012, 08:08
hondo: North Yorkshire Brewing White Lady
Oggwyn Trench: Clun Citadel
Mobyduck: Darkstar Hophead
Thuck Phat: Nobby's Best
Real Ale Ray: Sambrook's Junction
Millay: Castle Rock Major Laurence Arthur Rook Nottingham Celebration Ale
aleandhearty: Salopian Lemon Dream
PaulOfHorsham: Vale Black Swan Mild
Bucking Fastard: Titanic Iceberg
Old Blue: Redemption Urban Dusk
Brewguru: Blue Monkey Infinity
Pubsignman: Bowman Swift One
ROBCamra: Saltaire Summer Ale

hondo
07-09-2012, 07:37
North Yorkshire Brewing - White Lady

Oggwyn Trench
08-09-2012, 18:52
Not a quiet week :nishelypished::D

Slaters - Golden
Wye Valley - HPA
Wells - Bombardier
Salopian - Shropshire Gold
Ossett - Yorkshire Blonde
Corvedale - St Georges Stout
Everards - Tiger
B&P - Original
Marston Moor - Mongrel
White Rose - After the Goldrush
Doctor Mortons - Mule Cooler
Bank Top - Pavilion
Enville - Ginger
Titanic - Plum Porter
Exmoor - Gold
Clun - Citadel
Buxton - Axe Edge Double IPA
Wantsum - IPA
Fownes - Gunhild
Frog Island - Shoemaker
Birds - Thunderbird
Clun - CPA
Morgans - Fat Boy
Leatherbritches - Ashbourne Ale
Toll End - Tipton Pride
Bottle Brook - Full Moon
Waen - TWA
Wye Valley - Butty Bach
St Austell - Proper Job
Abbeydale - Moonshine
Oakham - Bishops Farewell
Blue Monkey - Rhesus to be Cheerfull
Sarah Hughes - Dark Ruby Mild

Hard choice this week but i think Clun - Citadel just about gets it

Mobyduck
08-09-2012, 19:40
Vale QED
Buttcombe Bitter
West Berks Swift Pale Ale
Crouch Vale Amarillo
Brodies Citra
Brodies Kiwi
Brodies London Fields Pale
Marble Lagonda
Oakham Inferno
Moles Revival
Darkstar American Pale Ale

BOTW is Darkstar Hophead.

Thuck Phat
09-09-2012, 13:21
I'm impressed with and envious of Mr Trench's and Mr Duck's lists above.
Sadly a quiet week for with only the ever excellent Oakham Bishops Farewell and the very quaffable BOTW Nobby's Best sampled.

Real Ale Ray
09-09-2012, 13:26
Sambrooks - Junction
Sambrooks - Wandle
Holts - Bitter Ale

Sambrook's - Junction

Spinko
09-09-2012, 18:42
Not a drop for me as I did the Salford 10k this weekend. 51 minutes, since you ask :o

Millay
09-09-2012, 19:13
Nothing much exciting this week but I've had a few pints of Castle Rock's Major Laurence Arthur Rook Nottingham Celebration Ale so I'll go with that as my BotW.

aleandhearty
10-09-2012, 12:02
A fairly quiet week, but a very high hit rate. Tried this week:

Salopian - Lemon Dream.
Stonehenge - Danish Dynamite.
Fernandes - Chinook.
Oakham - Bishops Farewell.
Hawkshead - Windermere Pale.
Wensleydale - Poacher.
Roosters - YPA.
Buxton - Moor Top.

Very difficult to choose between the Lemon Dream, Windermere Pale and the Moor Top, but the Salopian just shades it.

PaulOfHorsham
10-09-2012, 13:50
I'm only an occasional visitor to these pages, but I'm here this week to add a vote for Vale Brewery Black Swan Mild (http://www.valebrewery.co.uk/beers/beer.php?id=7) - an excellent example of the style which slipped down very nicely indeed a few nights ago.

Bucking Fastard
10-09-2012, 15:13
Took my sons to The Royal Exchange,Stone to further their education.Titanic served up a master class.For an eighteen year old to say that Titanic MILD was about the best beer he had ever tasted ,and it was bloody good,is very encouraging .The White Star ,Plumb Porter and Triple Screw were all great but my BOTW was Titanic Iceberg,for unadulterated bitterness. I must find out how many IBU's it is,it always demands a second.

Old Blue
10-09-2012, 19:57
A slightly varied week for me:
Roosters Welsummer
Hook Norton Old Hooky
Hopback Golden Grist
Redemption Urban Dusk
Twickenham Hornet, Naked Ladies and Sundancer
Leeds Samba
Titanic Cappucino
Tillingbourne Falls Gold
Surrey Hills Greensand IPA

Greensand was excellent as usual, I also enjoyed the Roosters, and congratulations to Titanic for a coffee flavoured beer that actually seems to work. I think I'll go for the Redemption as overall BOTW though

Brewguru
11-09-2012, 13:17
Minehead Beer Festival:

Yeovil Star Gazer
Yeovil Ruby
Thornbridge Sequoia
Six Trees Onslaught
Steel City New Dawn Fades
Surrey Hills Greensands IPA
Magic Rock Curious
Montys Moonrise
Moor Hoppiness
Garage Young Bob
Blue Monkey Infinity
Andwell Gold Muddler.

My festival Scores gave a tie between the Moor, Blue Monkey and the Surrey Hills but the BOTW was the Blue Monkey Infinity

Pubsignman
11-09-2012, 14:16
My BOTW is Bowman Swift One - a beer I've had on several occassions previously, but never in as excellent shape as it was in the Artillary Arms, Southsea on Tuesday.

Not far behind were Hawkshead Cumbrian Five Hop and Butcombe Bitter.

Aqualung
12-09-2012, 00:12
A slightly varied week for me:
Roosters Welsummer
Hook Norton Old Hooky
Hopback Golden Grist
Redemption Urban Dusk
Twickenham Hornet, Naked Ladies and Sundancer
Leeds Samba
Titanic Cappucino
Tillingbourne Falls Gold
Surrey Hills Greensand IPA

Greensand was excellent as usual, I also enjoyed the Roosters, and congratulations to Titanic for a coffee flavoured beer that actually seems to work. I think I'll go for the Redemption as overall BOTW though

I'm glad you quoted this one as BOTW as I either nominated or intended to nominate it some weeks ago (I can't remember if I actually posted!). To me it is a superb dark bitter, an uncommon species in the world of ubiqitous golden ales (which I don't actually dislike).

Old Blue
12-09-2012, 23:00
I'm glad you quoted this one as BOTW as I either nominated or intended to nominate it some weeks ago (I can't remember if I actually posted!). To me it is a superb dark bitter, an uncommon species in the world of ubiqitous golden ales (which I don't actually dislike).

I couldn't agree more, Aqualung. Funnily enough I really enjoyed a pint of it a couple of weeks ago and failed to nominate, mainly because it was towards the end of a long session and I noted it somewhere I then lost, and I'm still not sure where I had that pint, except that it was somewhere up in Cleethorpes. It might well have been the Swash Buckle Tavern, as I know I had a really good pint of something there but also couldn't remember what that was. So when I saw it on in the Old Bell in Fleet St (source of many of by BsOTW these days) I had to give it a go, and it was even better from a sober lunchtime start than at the end of a session.

Aqualung
12-09-2012, 23:26
I couldn't agree more, Aqualung. Funnily enough I really enjoyed a pint of it a couple of weeks ago and failed to nominate, mainly because it was towards the end of a long session and I noted it somewhere I then lost, and I'm still not sure where I had that pint, except that it was somewhere up in Cleethorpes. It might well have been the Swash Buckle Tavern, as I know I had a really good pint of something there but also couldn't remember what that was. So when I saw it on in the Old Bell in Fleet St (source of many of by BsOTW these days) I had to give it a go, and it was even better from a sober lunchtime start than at the end of a session.

There's a saying that I have found true on a few occasions that the best pint on a crawl is usually the first one of the day.

I had their Hopspur last Friday and that was pretty good too. I hope this brewery has a rewarding future along with Brodies and ELB.

I can't believe that the explosion of new breweries and total refurbishment of some pubs in NE London is actually happening. I suspect that the local Spoons, which are mostly pretty good and some very good, along with the William IV in Leyton will remain the best value.

Old Blue
13-09-2012, 08:28
There's a saying that I have found true on a few occasions that the best pint on a crawl is usually the first one of the day.

I had their Hopspur last Friday and that was pretty good too. I hope this brewery has a rewarding future along with Brodies and ELB.

I can't believe that the explosion of new breweries and total refurbishment of some pubs in NE London is actually happening. I suspect that the local Spoons, which are mostly pretty good and some very good, along with the William IV in Leyton will remain the best value.

I often find my second pint on a crawl is the best - this may be because I tend to be a bit more randomly adventurous with the first, and more discerning with the second. Or just because my taste buds take a while to wake up properly.

I've never tried the William IV, must do that some time. NE London is not a direction I normally go in. Spending much of my time on a particularly frustrating project in Fleet St however has allowed me to try out most places round there. When my boss asked me several months into the project whether I felt I'd achieved anything with it, I was able to confirm that my knowledge of pubs in EC4 had increased exponentially.

aleandhearty
13-09-2012, 12:44
For an eighteen year old to say that Titanic MILD was about the best beer he had ever tasted ,and it was bloody good,is very encouraging .

Looks like the Master has taught young Grasshopper well. :D

Aqualung
13-09-2012, 22:52
I often find my second pint on a crawl is the best - this may be because I tend to be a bit more randomly adventurous with the first, and more discerning with the second. Or just because my taste buds take a while to wake up properly.

I've never tried the William IV, must do that some time. NE London is not a direction I normally go in. Spending much of my time on a particularly frustrating project in Fleet St however has allowed me to try out most places round there. When my boss asked me several months into the project whether I felt I'd achieved anything with it, I was able to confirm that my knowledge of pubs in EC4 had increased exponentially.

Brodies have two other pubs, the Old Coffee House in Soho and the Cross Keys in Covent Garden which is GBG listed. I haven't been to either but I know they are more expensive than the William (£2.35 for cask and £3.20 for Keykeg). If you visit any of them I would recommend that you don't disregard the Keykeg beers. They are not gassy at all but they do tend to come up colder than one would like. This isn't a problem in hot weather as it soon warms up. When I first saw this method of dispense I was very suspicious of it, but now I'm quite happy to partake of them if there is nothing appealing on cask.

I believe that two of Brodies classics Hackney Red and Dalston Black are now only going to be available on this system. I was lucky to sample both on cask at their last festival.

If you do go to the William make sure to drop in the GBG listed Drum as well, it's one of Spoons earliest pubs and has more of a pub atmosphere than most. It's a two minute walk (depending on the pedestrian lights) walk from the William.

ROBCamra
14-09-2012, 11:19
A weekend visit to Leeds threw up some interesting beers. Not all worked particularly well.

Two that did stand out were Kirkstall Prototype No 3 tried in the Cross Keys (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/54342/)

But BOTW is going to be Saltaire Summer Ale tried in Friends of Ham (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/77983/)

Nicely hoppy without the massive hop hit of stronger beers and just what was needed with a load of cheese & ham.

So I had to have another one. :cheers: