PDA

View Full Version : Badly Behaved Mourner

Rex_Rattus
01-09-2012, 10:36
I went to a funeral yesterday, and not knowing the area particularly well left overly early for the journey, in order to ensure that that I didn't arrive late. The result was that I got there the best part of an hour early.

Now, I'm sure that in these circumstances other forum members would have done the decent thing and spent the time standing in the sunshine outside the chapel chatting to other mourners who had arrived early. But I confess that isn't what I did. Using as an excuse the fact that I might not know anyone else there, I walked off to photograph a previously unphotographed pub, and then went for a pint in another pub that I had not previously visited.

I have done this sort of thing before I'm afraid (prior to weddings usually). Am I alone in using any opportunity, however arguably inappropriate, to get inside and review a new pub, possibly to climb the "New Pubs Visited" rankings? Or are there others like me who would use just about any excuse to get into a new (or perhaps any)pub?

Mobyduck
01-09-2012, 11:41
I went to a funeral yesterday, and not knowing the area particularly well left overly early for the journey, in order to ensure that that I didn't arrive late. The result was that I got there the best part of an hour early.

Now, I'm sure that in these circumstances other forum members would have done the decent thing and spent the time standing in the sunshine outside the chapel chatting to other mourners who had arrived early. But I confess that isn't what I did. Using as an excuse the fact that I might not know anyone else there, I walked off to photograph a previously unphotographed pub, and then went for a pint in another pub that I had not previously visited.

I have done this sort of thing before I'm afraid (prior to weddings usually). Am I alone in using any opportunity, however arguably inappropriate, to get inside and review a new pub, possibly to climb the "New Pubs Visited" rankings? Or are there others like me who would use just about any excuse to get into a new (or perhaps any)pub?
I fall into the any pub category, however the last funeral attended I used the location to visit a new pub after the service,the rather excellent Barley Mow (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/27723/).

Farway
01-09-2012, 13:33
I fall into pub category as well, but like MB visited anew watering hole post service

Strongers
01-09-2012, 14:23
I use any occasion as an excuse.
I'm thinking of putting into my will that my ashes must be taken on a pub crawl at least once a month. Maybe I will bequeath them to Pubsgalore.

Rex_Rattus
01-09-2012, 20:31
I'm heartened to know that I'm not alone. But in some ways my perfidy grows worse - the wake was held in a pub, but I managed to sneak in another pub on the way back to the train station. I know, I know, I should have rushed back to Mrs R waiting for me at home, having been too unwell to attend the funeral, but somehow I couldn't help myself. There was this pub opposite the station and somehow some supernatural power pulled me inside.

Aqualung
01-09-2012, 22:13
How could this be disrespectful unless the deceased was part of the Temperance Movement?

I attended the funeral of an old friend last year. My friend and I visited the two GBG listed Spoons in Fareham on the way to the funeral. My deceased friend liked his beer and I'm sure he would have been disappointed if we hadn't gone to the pub on the way to his funeral.

A funeral is a celebration of the deceased's life rather than a miserable and solemn affair. My mother died last year and at the reception afterwards there was a gross egotistical bore banging on about local politics.

To me that is disrespectful.

Old Blue
02-09-2012, 11:16
I fall into the any pub category, however the last funeral attended I used the location to visit a new pub after the service,the rather excellent Barley Mow (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/27723/).

I didn't manage to fit in a pub visit with the last funeral I went to, but that was probably just as well because I was driving and got breathalysed on the way back by a policeman who'd stopped me as one of my lights wasn't working!

Coincidentally however I made my first visit to the said Barley Mow yesterday, host to one of the last remaining bar billiard tables in the area, and would certainly return if someone I knew was considerate enough to die in the vicinity.

aleandhearty
02-09-2012, 16:12
Must admit I've used the last two family funerals to visit new pubs. Those I visited after the service, I'm pretty guilt free about, but with my uncle's, the town's only GBG listed pub was 100 yards from the church. I'm afraid I forewent the pleasure of chatting to rellos I hadn't seen for years, to get my review notes done beforehand. Rex you are not alone.

Maldenman
03-09-2012, 13:05
I have to say that should I receive notification or an invite to a funeral or wedding somewhere unknown to me, the first thing I would be likely to do would be to check out the list of pubs. If it was somewhere without anything decent, especially for a wedding, I most likely wouldn't bother going. :evilgrin:

aleandhearty
03-09-2012, 14:16
If it was somewhere without anything decent, especially for a wedding, I most likely wouldn't bother going. :evilgrin:

Bloody hell, MM! That's a bit harsh. :D You can take the man out of Manchester....

Mobyduck
03-09-2012, 18:40
I have to say that should I receive notification or an invite to a funeral or wedding somewhere unknown to me, the first thing I would be likely to do would be to check out the list of pubs. If it was somewhere without anything decent, especially for a wedding, I most likely wouldn't bother going. :evilgrin:

I have to admit I took a printed map with nearby pubs marked on it last time I went to a funeral, just in case. :whistle:

Delboy20
03-09-2012, 20:17
I have to say I use anything as an excuse to visit pubs. Funerals can be a godsend :D