PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 2nd September 2012)

ROBCamra
28-08-2012, 16:04
hondo: Daleside Square Rigger
Maldenman: Tillingbourne Falls Gold
Oggwyn Trench: Kelham Island Easy Rider
Spinko: Thornbridge Craven Silk
Bucking Fastard: Marble Manchester Bitter
Mobyduck: Adnams Gunhill
oldboots: Collingham Journeyman
aleandhearty: Riverhead Brewsters Blonde
Alesonly: Daleside Premium Gold
Wittenden: WJ King Horsham Best Bitter
Thuck Phat: Fullers Wild River
Pubsignman: Marble Draft
ROBCamra: Marble Lagonda

hondo
30-08-2012, 07:20
Daleside - Square Rigger

Maldenman
30-08-2012, 22:18
I only occasionally add to this but I must say Tillingbourne Falls Gold in Croydon's George today was just first rate, cracking stuff, lightish and golden , not overpowerfully hopped, just right.

Oggwyn Trench
02-09-2012, 09:21
A few decent ones this week

Mallinsons - Gold Britannia
Springhead - Roaring Meg
Kelham Island - Easy Rider
Brown Cow - PBF Pale Ale
Greenfield - Icicle
Acorn - Bonzer

BOTW Kelham Island - Easy Rider

Spinko
02-09-2012, 10:49
Thornbridge - Craven Silk

A clean and fresh pale brewed using Derbyshire elderflower. Had in Port St Beer House yesterday lunchtime, very pleasant.

Bucking Fastard
02-09-2012, 12:03
A much better week while still waiting for the boat repairs to be completed.My next voyage,when ever that may occur,will be to the heart of Manchester,so it was good to get a taster in the shape of Marble Manchester Bitter during a very good session in The Euston Tap.A fine BOTW,it just refused to stay in the glass.:drinkup:

Mobyduck
02-09-2012, 18:19
Gloucester Gold
Courage Best (I know :muppet:)
Castle Rock Harvest Pale
Wadsworth 6X
Vale Q.E.D.

BOTW is Adnams Gunhill

oldboots
02-09-2012, 19:58
It was my beer of the week in July and here it is again, Collingham Journeyman , an odd mix of boring brown bitter and new world hops. Many have tried but Collingham have got it just right.

PS an honourable mention for Stringers IPA, just had it bottled form - brilliant! I'll be looking out for the cask version.

aleandhearty
03-09-2012, 14:55
A pretty poor week, with just three ales tried:

Riverhead - Brewsters Blonde.
Nethergate - Priory Mild.
Nethergate - Lemonhead.

None of them were particularly inspiring, but the Blonde was the best of the three. The Lemonhead deserves a special mention. Although not quite bad enough to merit a BABOTW nomination, its supposed lemon and ginger flavours left me cold. Like a pint of watery Lemsip.

Alesonly
03-09-2012, 18:52
Old Growler
O Hanlons Brewery Stormstay
Fullers ESB
Adnams Ghostship
Adnams Broadside
Daleside Premium Gold

I will go for the Daleside Premium Gold as Ale of the week.

Wittenden
04-09-2012, 08:53
West Sussex in the rain:
Langham-Sundowner:a decent golden with tropical fruit;could have been a bit keener: perhaps the rainy midday didn't help.
Arundel-Sussex Gold:what it said on the tin.
WJ King-Horsham Best Bitter:a proper saloon bar stalwart,sweetish resinous malt with a long dry finish.What we are best at! My BOTW

Thuck Phat
04-09-2012, 10:18
Runners and riders this week:

Fuller Wild River
Ringwood Fortyniner
Flack Manor Double Drop
Oakham Bishops Farewell
Wood Farm Best

A decent selection and the one that surprised most and gets BOTW is Fullers Wild River.

Pubsignman
04-09-2012, 15:48
Some of the better beers this week included Dark Star Ardennes Pale, Liverpool Organic Simcoe and Rebellion Blonde - the latter enjoyed in tip-top condition in the Bree Louise, believe it or not.

None of these could stand up to Marble Draft though, which was a BOTW for me back in February and on just as good form in the Sheffield Tap on Saturday.

aleandhearty
04-09-2012, 23:03
Liverpool Organic Simcoe

Rather like the sound of that, PM. One of my favourite hops. The Fernandes version, a few weeks ago, was also excellent.

ROBCamra
07-09-2012, 11:24
My first week back on the proper stuff after the USA trip and I had a right old mixed bag of beers.

The winner by an absolute street length though was Marble Lagonda tried, where else but, The Baum.

It took at least 6 trial brews to get this one right and they took feedback from their customers as to which one they preferred.

The Baum had 3 of the trial brews and it was well worth the effort as the chosen brew is superb.

I had 5 pints of it on Tuesday, so it must have been good against 6 other options. :cheers: