PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Manchester Please

Andy Ven
22-08-2012, 21:25
I thought that an idea for a crawl could be using the Manchester Metrolink trams (http://www.metrolink.co.uk/pdf/Services_Map_June2012.pdf) but I don't know much about the pubs near to tram stops.

If we take Manchester Piccadilly as a starting point, can you help me to develop the idea with some suggestions please.

Spinko
23-08-2012, 07:21
I've used the Bury line a couple of times (tend to run to Whitefield and get the tram back) and it'd be a good place to get your number of Joey Holts pubs up if you were so inclined!

The Eccles line I know well, and Eccles is worth a visit but you're better taking the train. There's not much en route.

I think the Oldham to St Werburgh's line is fairly new, so there won't have been too many pubs sprouting up to cater for thirsty travellers.

After moving to Manchester from Yorkshire I've got used to the fact that a drinking tour using a regional Day Rover on the trains won't be as productive as you'd need always to return to Manchester before taking another leg. It's not like Leeds for example where you could do Leeds-Shipley-Bradford-Halifax-Sowerby Bridge-Brighouse-Huddersfield-Dewsbury-Leeds in one big loop. *

It'd probably be best just sticking to the city centre and planning a good route with only ten min' walking between pubs. Some of the best ones are a good trek between (eg The New Oxford to the Marble Arch) but all can be done with decent planning.

* apparently there is a once-weekly :eek: train Stockport to Stalybridge which would prove useful. Good luck in catching it though...

Al 10000
23-08-2012, 16:45
Hi Andy

This is my take on a tram crawl,i have also been in all pubs bar one Spoons

Get the tram from piccadilly gardens this is a short walk from Piccadilly station,you will need a north bound tram on the Bury line stay on tram untill Whitfield
Once off try the New Grove this is a nice old Joseph Holt house and it is a short walk down bury new road,the next pub is the Eagle and Child another Joseph Holt house you will need to walk down egerton street to reach this pub (This was my 4000th pub )

Back on the tram head south to Besses O Th Barn once off you will need to walk south down bury old road to reach the Welcome Inn another Joseph Holt house.

Back on the tram and a short ride to Prestwich walk to bury new road and find the Forresters this is a Joseph Holt house,from here walk south down bury old road and go in the Red Lion this is a Joseph Holt house.

Back on the tram after a short ride get off at Heaton Park and a very short walk to the Royal Oak this is an Hydes tied house from here go onto bury old road and a short walk south will take you to the Ostrich this is a nice old Joseph Holt house.

Back on the tram and a short ride to Crumpsall turn right out of tram stop and a short walk to the Cleveland this is a large Joseph Holt tied house,you are now in North manchester which is very dodgy so back on the tram and travel through the bad lands.

Stay on the tram if this is an Altrincham bound tram stay if not get off at Piccadilly gardens and wait for an Altrincham bound tram stay on tram untill Sale a short walk over the canal takes you to the Railway and your first Robinsons house of the day then walk back to the tram stop and go along northendon road you wiil find JP Jouls this is a Spoons if you need some cheap food.

Back on the tram and a short ride to Broodlands and the Brook this pub is on the station and it is a JW Lees house.

Back to the tram and a short ride to Altrincham where there are many pubs the Malt Shovels is a short walk north this is a nice unaltered Samuel Smiths tied house you can then get the tram back to the middle of Manchester.

All pubs on this crawl bar the Spoons are owned by Regional Independant brewerys.

I hope you have a great day out.

Wittenden
23-08-2012, 18:32
Hi Andy

All pubs on this crawl bar the Spoons are owned by Regional Independant brewerys.

Bliss!

Andy Ven
24-08-2012, 18:37
Thanks Al and Spinko. Some useful pointers for me to consider.