PDA

View Full Version : Ridiculous things inexperienced staff do...

General Staal
12-08-2012, 14:33
I was in a restaurant last night in Birmingham, which I shall not name, where they sell bottled real ales. I had one of these, Worcester Sorcerer by Sadler's.

I pointed out to the waitress that my beer was too warm. She apologised sincerely and bought a glass of ice to the table for me to put into my beer to cool it down.

After I said that ice in beer isn't a good thing, she went off to replace it with a different beer, brewed and bottled for the restaurant by JW Lees.

While she was at the bar, we all laughed out loud.

There were other issues which meant we will not be visiting this particular restaurant again.

But ice in beer really summed up the service we received here!

Al 10000
12-08-2012, 14:42
At least that was in a restaurant,
I was offered ice to cool down a very warm drink of real ale in a pub in central London,i refused saying you dont put ice in beer.

General Staal
12-08-2012, 14:49
I just found the whole experience that night breathtakingly incompetent. The ice for the beer just summed it up.

If you don't understand beer and you're a restaurant, don't sell it! Especially at £4.60 a bottle.

Spinko
12-08-2012, 15:35
Out on my own recently, I left a cm of beer in my glass and went to the toilet. When I came back 90 seconds later the glass had already been taken.

General Staal
12-08-2012, 15:47
Out on my own recently, I left a cm of beer in my glass and went to the toilet. When I came back 90 seconds later the glass had already been taken.

Did you complain heartily?

Spinko
12-08-2012, 17:46
I was leaving anyway..Coronation Street was due on :D

Farway
13-08-2012, 13:21
I was offered ice to cool down a very warm drink of real ale in a pub in central London,i refused saying you dont put ice in beer.

I blame the marketing people with all this "over ice" crap trying to push questionable bottled drinks on younger, more gullible, drinkers

At least you did not have the indignity of asking for a glass to pour it in which happened to me, admittedly it was at outside catering at an air show. I did get a "glass" made of poxy plastic. At over £4 a 500ml tin I still fume when I think of it

Spinko
13-08-2012, 18:40
I blame the marketing people with all this "over ice" crap trying to push questionable bottled drinks on younger, more gullible, drinkers

At least you did not have the indignity of asking for a glass to pour it in which happened to me, admittedly it was at outside catering at an air show. I did get a "glass" made of poxy plastic. At over £4 a 500ml tin I still fume when I think of it

The sheer appalling nature of the drinks you get served at many gig venues puts me off going to them now. Spending 2+ hours drinking cans of £4 beer that cost 60p in tesco's is utterly ridiculous. No wonder all the girls take in bottles of vodka in their handbags nowadays. :rolleyes:

oldboots
13-08-2012, 19:18
My particular bete noir from the inexperienced is them thinking a 1/4 pint of head is acceptable.

Delboy20
13-08-2012, 19:47
The sheer appalling nature of the drinks you get served at many gig venues puts me off going to them now. Spending 2+ hours drinking cans of £4 beer that cost 60p in tesco's is utterly ridiculous. No wonder all the girls take in bottles of vodka in their handbags nowadays. :rolleyes:

Not just the girls:whistle:

Mobyduck
14-08-2012, 04:53
My particular bete noir from the inexperienced is them thinking a 1/4 pint of head is acceptable.

Then them thinking your'e a moaning old git for asking for a top up.

Strongers
14-08-2012, 08:48
Then them thinking your'e a moaning old git for asking for a top up.

And they return the pint with the same sized head as before because it's coming out a bit lively and the manager hasn't bothered training them.

Soup Dragon
14-08-2012, 14:45
we all laughed out loud.

glad to see you followed my advice!

aleandhearty
16-08-2012, 22:18
...Asking you several times to repeat a simple round. A few months ago, a conversation with some spindly, acne ridden hobbledehoy went like this:

Me: A pint of Silver King, half a Landlord and a dry white wine please.

Two minutes later....

SARH: There's your Silver King. What else was it?

Me: Half a Landlord and a dry white wine.

Two minutes later....

SARH: Here's half a Landlord. Sorry, what was the last one again?

Me:A dry white wine (whilst thinking: FFS! Our last goldfish had a better memory than you)

Alesonly
17-08-2012, 02:15
Last week in a regular Pub I use in Finchley with no good ales on tap so I though I would have A bottle of Fullers 1845 as I could see it in the cabinet behind the bar. Barmaid comes over to serve me so I ask bottle of Fullers 1845 please. Barmaid looks confused at pumps and says sorry its not on so I say its in the cabinet over there pointing too it. Barmaid comes back and asks would you like a glass with ice in it.:( No thanks just a pint Glass.

trainman
17-08-2012, 11:57
...Asking you several times to repeat a simple round. A few months ago, a conversation with some spindly, acne ridden hobbledehoy went like this:

Me: A pint of Silver King, half a Landlord and a dry white wine please.

Two minutes later....

SARH: There's your Silver King. What else was it?

Ah well, at least you got your Ossett first!

aleandhearty
17-08-2012, 15:03
Ah well, at least you got your Ossett first!

How do you know it wasn't the white wine? :whistle: