PDA

View Full Version : How do you get a picture next to your name

Al 10000
11-08-2012, 16:57
This is a second in my series of problems regarding the forum,there are two problems on this thread.

Problem 1 : Is how do most of you get a small picture next to your post,i have also noticed some regulars change this picture quite a few times over the year.

Problem 2 : Is how do you get things to appear at the bottom of a post.
This problem is spilt into two bits,the first one is EG Strongers always has a Brentford banner on each post,i do have a bit of a soft spot for Brentford as they are a small club in a working class area.

The other problem is how do regulars get a line at the bottom of each post they make,usually with some comment written below it,this comment is always the same after each post.

Cheers Alan

Mobyduck
11-08-2012, 20:10
This is a second in my series of problems regarding the forum,there are two problems on this thread.

Problem 1 : Is how do most of you get a small picture next to your post,i have also noticed some regulars change this picture quite a few times over the year.

Problem 2 : Is how do you get things to appear at the bottom of a post.
This problem is spilt into two bits,the first one is EG Strongers always has a Brentford banner on each post,i do have a bit of a soft spot for Brentford as they are a small club in a working class area.

The other problem is how do regulars get a line at the bottom of each post they make,usually with some comment written below it,this comment is always the same after each post.

Cheers Alan

All you have to do is click on the settings options at the top of the page next to "my profile" and then choose the option edit signature in the box to the right of the screen,you will then be able to enter the text you want as your signature then press the save signature button below then this text will appear at the bottom of every post you make. Similar with the pictures, settings then edit profile picture or edit avatar and follow the instructions,this was all new to me a while ago but you soon pick it up wether you know what your doing or not, not in my case. :cheers:

Millay
12-08-2012, 08:36
Mobyduck is right and a quick learner. Your profile pic and your avatar are two different things. The profile pic appears when someone clicks on your name to see your profile. The picture that appears beside each post is your avatar so that's what you need to change. You can do this as often as you wish. I usually use a topical one, which is why it's currently showing a big rock !

Al 10000
12-08-2012, 15:35
Mobyduck is right and a quick learner.

I am a very slow learner when it comes to computors or anything that involves pressing buttons,i have got a cheapo digital watch that still sounds its alarm off every hour all day long and i still dont know how to stop this so there is little hope of me understanding most things on this forum.

I went into the Settings option and cliked on the Avatar button but i could'nt find any small pictures,i did notice somthing saying URL but i hav'nt got the faintest idea what this means or if that will help me find a small picture.
I think you might have to give on me as a lost cause.

Mobyduck
12-08-2012, 20:41
I am a very slow learner when it comes to computors or anything that involves pressing buttons,i have got a cheapo digital watch that still sounds its alarm off every hour all day long and i still dont know how to stop this so there is little hope of me understanding most things on this forum.

I went into the Settings option and cliked on the Avatar button but i could'nt find any small pictures,i did notice somthing saying URL but i hav'nt got the faintest idea what this means or if that will help me find a small picture.
I think you might have to give on me as a lost cause.

I have just changed my avatar picture as an example, this is how I did it.
1- find an image I want to use, for some strange reason I thought of Albert Steptoe.
2-Google Steptoe and select images,pick an image that appeals and right click on it.
3-In the box that appears left click on save image as.
4- A new box or tab opens and gives you the option to name it as a file name, I just entered steptoe and pressed save.
5- On my system this image can now found by pressing the start button in the bottom left hand of the moniter screen and selecting my recent documents,go down the list and select steptoe which is now saved to your computer.
6-Ok so now starting from scratch bring up the pubs galore forum main page,select settings then select edit avatar.The edit avatar box now appears with option 1 enter ulr to the image on another website, and option 2 upload image from your computer, select this,by pressing the choose file button and a box/tab (I'm not sure of the correct terminology)will appear,where it says file name write steptoe and then press open, the image appears and then all you have to do is then press the save changes button at the bottom and the image will be saved as your avatar picture and appear after every post and on your profile. I know this seems long winded but is not so bad in practice, if any one can explain in simpler terms please do, that took me the best part of half an hour. Anyway hope that helps a little bit Alan, cheers. :cheers:

p.s I'm not keeping the steptoe thing for long.

Millay
13-08-2012, 06:03

I think you should Mobyduck, you can join Oldboots who has a picture of Tommy, the miserable old git from Early Doors, as his avatar :D

Mobyduck
13-08-2012, 06:18
I think you should Mobyduck, you can join Oldboots who has a picture of Tommy, the miserable old git from Early Doors, as his avatar :D

Ooh you monkey!(I know its a Barbary ape really)

Millay
13-08-2012, 06:24
I'm using Windows and use a slightly different method. I do the google search thing as per steps 1-3 then make sure I save the image in the "My Pictures" folder that pops up.

In step 6 I do the same Settings - Edit Avatar thing and in Option 2 I have a button that says Browse. Clicking that brings up a box that says Choose File to Upload. From the drop down menu find your My Pictues folder and double click on the image you want. This will take you back to the PG page and you should them click on Save Changes.

(Be aware that you might get an error message at this point if the image is too large. If so you'll have to start again and try a different one).

Then go back to the Forum and see if it has worked.

Come on Alan, you can do it !!

Wild Rover
13-08-2012, 14:19
Thanks to Milay and Mobyduck for your avatar instructions,they were spot on.

Millay
13-08-2012, 18:24

Excellent, it's always fun to have an avatar. Is that the Family Guy ?

Wild Rover
13-08-2012, 18:46
Yes Peter Griffin,i am an avid fan of the show.

oldboots
13-08-2012, 20:10
....you can join Oldboots who has a picture of Tommy, the miserable old git .................

There's a fairly obvious reason for that..............

Mobyduck
13-08-2012, 20:14

I had to reconstruct the process as I went along just to make sure I got the instructions right,hence for a while the steptoe thing, demonstration purposes only,although I am warming to it.Just goes to show anyone can learn.

Mobyduck
13-08-2012, 20:21

There's a fairly obvious reason for that..............

A little harsh all round possibly?

Al 10000
14-08-2012, 18:06
I have just changed my avatar picture as an example, this is how I did it.
1- find an image I want to use, for some strange reason I thought of Albert Steptoe.
2-Google Steptoe and select images,pick an image that appeals and right click on it.
3-In the box that appears left click on save image as.
4- A new box or tab opens and gives you the option to name it as a file name, I just entered steptoe and pressed save.
5- On my system this image can now found by pressing the start button in the bottom left hand of the moniter screen and selecting my recent documents,go down the list and select steptoe which is now saved to your computer.
6-Ok so now starting from scratch bring up the pubs galore forum main page,select settings then select edit avatar.The edit avatar box now appears with option 1 enter ulr to the image on another website, and option 2 upload image from your computer, select this,by pressing the choose file button and a box/tab (I'm not sure of the correct terminology)will appear,where it says file name write steptoe and then press open, the image appears and then all you have to do is then press the save changes button at the bottom and the image will be saved as your avatar picture and appear after every post and on your profile. I know this seems long winded but is not so bad in practice, if any one can explain in simpler terms please do, that took me the best part of half an hour. Anyway hope that helps a little bit Alan, cheers. :cheers:

Thanks for all that advise Mobyduck.

It all seems a bit too complicated for me to do,i did have a quick look on Google, this might sound stupid how do you find small photos when searching the internet.

Cheers Alan

Maldenman
14-08-2012, 21:33
Alan, either use Moby's step 2 above or if you prefer go to Google first then choose images, then pick what you want via the searchbox. You can of course use one of your own photos as I have. Good luck mate, you will get there. If you don't, no one is looking for an avatar, more interested in what you have to say.

Mobyduck
14-08-2012, 22:33
Thanks for all that advise Mobyduck.

It all seems a bit too complicated for me to do,i did have a quick look on Google, this might sound stupid how do you find small photos when searching the internet.

Cheers Alan

Sorry Alan just got back from London,totally :nishelypished: I'll see if I can help further tomorrow,but now not a lot is making sense any which way.:lol:

Mobyduck
15-08-2012, 20:42
Right Alan I am now half sensible,about as good as it gets in truth,pick a subject/topic,google it as I did with Steptoe then click on Images,loads of photos of your subject will come up.Choose one you like,right click on it and an options box will appear,left click on the option "save image as".A box will then come up asking you to put a name to your image,in my case steptoe,then press the save button,this will now save the image on your computer,in my case to new documents accessed by pressing the start button bottom left of the moniter as you look at it.You should be then able to follow option 2 as previously explained, "upload an image from your computer".Try this and hopefully this will work. :)

gillhalfpint
15-08-2012, 21:01
I have tried your google version and have had a bit of fun with that. Always broused my pictures before and used one of my own photos as an avatar. That really gives some scope. Won't be keeping this one long though!!

I just googled Mr Blobby, right clicked the photo that came up, save as in my pictures. Then on the settings in pubs galore I just went into edit avatar and broused my photos and selected Mr Blobby.

Cheers. Gill

Millay
16-08-2012, 05:12
Nice one Gill, we could see a trend in the ever changing avatar.

Al 10000
16-08-2012, 17:28
Thanks for all your help,
I have just tried to save an image from the internet and i still hav'nt got the faintest idea how to do it and i dont think i ever will so i am now giving up on this avatar business.

Once again thanks for trying to help out but as i have said in the past i am completly usless with computors,trying to do this as gave me a great big headache and i am now really *issed off that i am so usless at trying to do what most normal people find very simple.

Cheers Alan

Al 10000
16-08-2012, 17:43
I have now followed Mandlemans advise and put one of my own photos on,i would still like to put something from the internet on but this type of action is far to advanced for a person like me.

Mobyduck
16-08-2012, 20:26
I have now followed Mandlemans advise and put one of my own photos on,i would still like to put something from the internet on but this type of action is far to advanced for a person like me.

If at first you fail try ,try and try again. :D

Mobyduck
16-08-2012, 20:48
Nice one Gill, we could see a trend in the ever changing avatar.

It just happened!