PDA

View Full Version : A pub snatched from Tesco's hands

Farway
08-08-2012, 13:40
ONE of Hayling Island’s few remaining pubs has been saved from closure.

Details http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/business/local-business/haying-island-pub-is-rescued-from-closure-at-11th-hour-1-4138797

Hayling Billy (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/61321/)

Saved by the Co-op, I suspect to stop Tesco opening nearby their Hayling store

aleandhearty
09-08-2012, 15:56
ONE of Hayling Island’s few remaining pubs has been saved from closure.

Details http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/business/local-business/haying-island-pub-is-rescued-from-closure-at-11th-hour-1-4138797

Hayling Billy (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/61321/)

Saved by the Co-op, I suspect to stop Tesco opening nearby their Hayling store

Anything, or anyone, that gives Tesco a poke in the eye is OK in my book. It was bad enough when they were gutting, or demolishing, closed pubs. However, the practice of approaching pubcos regarding pubs that are still open (and often viable) really sticks in my craw. Have you come across this site FW?

http://www.tescopoly.org/

If you look in the local campaigns section, there's quite a bit of activity in Hampshire.

Farway
10-08-2012, 13:25
Thanks AH, not seen the site, just had a trawl through, seems odd that a company that is popular with thousands of shoppers every week can, or wants to, generate such upset by their actions in places, maybe size does matter?

NickDavies
11-08-2012, 17:48
Thanks AH, not seen the site, just had a trawl through, seems odd that a company that is popular with thousands of shoppers every week can, or wants to, generate such upset by their actions in places, maybe size does matter?

As long as people continue to spend money with them and they continue to make a profit Tesco aren't going to give a toss what people think of them. People like me who refuse to use them are just a mild irritant. It takes a lot to turn a brand toxic. Ratner's and Sunny Delight and the Sun in Liverpool spring to mind as examples. The banks are having a good go at it but there's no sign of a catastrophic decline in the consumer account base of any of them. People still queue up to fly on Ryanair despite everything. These firms are driven by corporate greed, not the greater good, and as long as they can get away with it, they will.

Alesonly
12-08-2012, 00:43
Lets hope all the locals boycott Tescos when ever possible & support the Pub and do there shop in the co op to show there support. :D

gillhalfpint
12-08-2012, 06:07
The Co-op not on MY good supermarket list as they are after closing the Navigation in Kings Norton which is a community pub with real ale. They have a big supermarket just down the road at Stirchley, but are having a second go at getting planning permission to demolish the Navigation at the moment.

NickDavies
12-08-2012, 08:44
The Co-op not on MY good supermarket list as they are after closing the Navigation in Kings Norton which is a community pub with real ale. They have a big supermarket just down the road at Stirchley, but are having a second go at getting planning permission to demolish the Navigation at the moment.

At least the Co-op is run in a vaguely democratic fashion, and is accountable to its members. If enough people in the area joined the society and started grumbling to the regional committee they might take notice.

Wittenden
12-08-2012, 14:21
Not too sure about the inner workings of the Co op,but the Southern Co op, which has bought the pub in Hayling Island, has a good reputation for encouraging and stocking local food and drink, and supporting producers.

Farway
13-08-2012, 13:25
Not too sure about the inner workings of the Co op,but the Southern Co op, which has bought the pub in Hayling Island, has a good reputation for encouraging and stocking local food and drink, and supporting producers.

True, it is the only shop around where you can get tins of HSB, which I know is no longer local, but for many it still has historic connections

I should declare an interest, I am member of Southern Co-op

RogerB
14-08-2012, 09:00
We have had a long running battle with Tescos who have bought up an entire street in Dartford in preparations to build a Tesco Super Village that would have been totally out of place in our town centre. They even planned to build over part of our precious Park and build a road through it. They didn't count on people power and the townsfolk have been vociferously objecting for about 7 years over everything they have tried to do. In the meantime dozens of small local business were forced out of their premises and the shops, houses and, yes, a pub, remain closed and boarded up making part of the town centre an eyesore.

Ironically, the Co-Op was actually founded in Dartford - the original Co-Op store is now part of a bar/club called Crush (that I do not set foot in!). Our large Co-Op closed not long after Tesco's revealed their plans in for town domination! It remains boarded up with no future plans as far as I'm aware. Tesco have a lot to answer for in these parts!

oldboots
14-08-2012, 09:19
Ironically, the Co-Op was actually founded in Dartford - the original Co-Op store is now part of a bar/club called Crush (that I do not set foot in!).

In ROBCamra's absence I'll ask the obvious question "Are you sure? Rochdale 1844 surely?"

Otherwise yes indeed Tesco is the great Satan, closely followed by Walmart (Asda).

RogerB
14-08-2012, 09:30
In ROBCamra's absence I'll ask the obvious question "Are you sure? Rochdale 1844 surely?"

Otherwise yes indeed Tesco is the great Satan, closely followed by Walmart (Asda).

I think you're right - our local historian may have got his facts wrong or I misinterpreted what he said when I did a history walk with him. Ours dates back to 1888 so a mere youngster compared to Rochdale. We the the first something but now I've no idea what! A trip to the local museum beckons.

Al 10000
14-08-2012, 17:16
After being made redundent after many years in heavy industry,i finally got a part time job at the CO-OP,during my induction to the company they gave a talk about the history of CO-OP and they were if i remember rightly called the Rochdale Pioneers which then went on the be called the Coperative Society then shortened to CO-OP.

Farway
15-08-2012, 12:46
We the the first something but now I've no idea what! A trip to the local museum beckons.

I think I am right in saying the Portsea Island Mutual Co-operative [PIMCO] shop in Fratton Road, Portsmouth was the first to adopt supermarket style of selling, get a basket & help yourself, but I guess like "oldest pub" there are a few other contenders