PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 19th August 2012)

ROBCamra
01-08-2012, 11:00
Hopefully something great from Boscoes brewery or Big River brewery in Nashville or Memphis. :cheers:

mim555
11-08-2012, 01:36
Has anyone tried Hart from Wellingborough, seems to be going down well in my neck of the woods?

Mobyduck
12-08-2012, 20:00
Has anyone tried Hart from Wellingborough, seems to be going down well in my neck of the woods?

Hi mim555, you've not chosen the correct thread to ask the question,just start a new thread in chitchat but never mind Iv'e not come across this new brewery, hailing from Hampshire as I do, maybe some of the other guys or gals(Gill?) who are better travelled have,I presume your "neck of the woods" is Wellingborough?

Apologies for clogging up beer of the week, maybe Admin can move the posts to somewhere more appropriate. :glass:

hondo
16-08-2012, 06:26
Daleside Greengrass

Aqualung
18-08-2012, 23:27
On my afternoon out yesterday I had five beers.

East London Brewery Jamboree (4.8%)
Brewsters Pandora (4.8%)

And on KeyKeg

Brodie's Brett IPA (7%)
Brodie's Big Mofo Stout (10%)
Brodie's Simcoe for Breakfast (10%)

I didn't take to the Pandora as I found it somewhat sweet. It's an orange colored beer.

The Brett IPA was cloudy and nothing special.

The Big Mofo Stout (10%) was excellent, but a bit on the sweet side, hardly surpising given it's ABV.

The Simcoe For Breakfast (10%) was superb. It's a major brewing achievement producing a 10% beer that drinks like a 5-6% one.

Given the fact that the ELB is newer I am awarding it to Jamboree.

This is similar to many of the Brodie's Pale Ales, a golden ale packed with hops, but is rather different as he uses only English hops rather than Mr Brodie who seems to have a completely global collection of hops and isn't afraid to use them.

This isn't a criticism of either brewer, but more a note of their diversity.

If I could award two it would be Simcoe and Jamboree, but if one then it's Jamboree!

Oggwyn Trench
19-08-2012, 09:11
Well whats nicer on a warm sunny day than a refreshing pint of Stellar , Pictish Stellar that is :D

Pictish - Stellar
Empire - 2012 a Hop Oddesey
Elland - El Divino
Salamander - Spectrum
Ossett - Hopmonster

BOTW Pictish - Stellar

Real Ale Ray
19-08-2012, 13:39
Milestone - Fletchers Ale
Big Bog - Swampy
Lytham - Blonde
BOTW Banks & Taylor - Black Dragon Mild

Bucking Fastard
19-08-2012, 16:11
Quite by chance had an Oakham week.In the Engineers Arms ,Henlow there was a terrific pint of The Gentleman.A brown best bitter but with that deep bitterness ;the Oakham trademark and I assumed at the time I would find nothing better this week.However pre match in The George,Croydon there were two more Oakham brews on,both sampled with Bishops Farewell coming out on top to make BOTW.

Millay
19-08-2012, 18:38
I find myself choosing between the light and the dark again this week. The light was Kent Brewery Going for Gold and the dark was XT Brewery Eight. Both excellent beers but the Going for Gold just edged it.

Mobyduck
19-08-2012, 19:46
This week-
Darkstar Ardennse Pale
Darkstar Hophead
Darkstar Hylder Blonde
Twickenham Hornet
Whitehorse Hi Ho Silver
Clare Brewing Co Classy Blonde
Windsor and Eton Ferryman
Windsor and Eton Boatman
Hopdeamon Green Deamon
Magic Rock Dark Arts
St Peters Organic Ale
Crossbay Sunset
Youngs London Gold
Greene King IPA Gold
Exmoor Ales Exmoor Ale
Skinners Betty Stogs
Thwaites Wainwright
Timothy Taylor Landlord

Stiff competition from the Ardennes Pale,Green Deamon and the Hornet but BOTW goes to Magic Rock Dark Arts ,drunk in the impressive Craft Beer Co. (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/23311/)

Wittenden
19-08-2012, 22:01
Two "premium bitters"
Shepherd Neame-Whitstable Bay Premium Bitter.It's fashionable in certain quarters to knock Sheps, but they have some smashing pubs,and I've got a lingering affection for the beer, especially the seasonals, of which this is one.OK if somewhat harsh flavour-a failing of Sheps- but a proper beery nose:the hop aroma really struck before tasting.Bit of a coffee beer really-smelt better than it tasted, not that I disliked it.
Hepworth's-Iron Horse.A darkish amber toffeeish best bitter with a long bitter finish.A bit of a heavyweight, but it coped well with the oppressive heat and humidity of a weekend in a retired Sevenoaks gravelpit. My BOTW

oldboots
20-08-2012, 08:11
Sarah Hughes Ruby Mild

Thuck Phat
20-08-2012, 09:11
Only three this week but all very good:
Oakham Bishops Farewell
Bristol Beer Factory Acer
Osset Hop Monster

The Osset Hop Monster gets BOTW by doing what it says and being eminently drinkable at 5%. Dangerous and the best I've had from Osset.

aleandhearty
20-08-2012, 11:07
Most of this weeks beers were sampled in the pleasurable company of Quinno and oldboots on Sunday afternoon. A very civilised stroll round Leeds. This week's offerings:

Fernandes - Duke of York Stout.
Ossett - Hop Monster.
Burley St Brewhouse - Laguna Seca.
Roosters - Cogburn.
Acorn - Yorkshire Pride.
Wensleydale - Rowley MILD.
Acorn - Stirling IPA.
Old Mill - Yorkshire Porter.
Bristol Beer Factory - Sunrise.
Raw - Solstice Summer Ale.
Pennine - Sun Stone.
Kirkstall - Three Swords.
Revolutions - Le Freak.
Roosters - Pentathlon.
Ridgeside - Cascade.
Leeds - Midnight Bell.

With honorable mentions for the Laguna Seca and Rowley MILD, BOTW goes to the Yorkshire Pride. Bags of flavour for 3.7% and a lovely long bitter finish. A great session beer.

Alesonly
20-08-2012, 11:24
Oh dear another dry week with only Three beers to choose from ESB London Pride or Tennents Lager :eek: Yes its still about. So it will have to be Fullers ESB no contest.

trainman
20-08-2012, 11:46
Saturday's Brentford crawl offered little inspiration in an area dominated by Fullers, but I was disappointed at the laziness of so few options within the Fullers pubs - I didn't see discovery anywhere and the Griffin had four pumps, all dispensing Pride! The 'explanation' was that it was due to the football season, even tho the Bees were away :confused:

Yesterday's pre-match visit to Croydon's George offered Oakham Bishops Farewell, JHB, Inferno, Brewsters Pandora (went before I could try it), Jaipur, Darkstar Hophead, Festival, Revelation.

botw Bishops Farewell, £1.65 with a voucher :)

Pubsignman
26-08-2012, 20:27
A trip to the V&A Waterfront in Cape Town gave me the chance to pop into the Mitchell's Waterfront Brewery and try a pint of their very enjoyable Raven Stout. The closest competition came from two beers which I could only find sold in cans believe it or not - Hansa Pilsner (brewed with Saaz hops and very easy drinking) and Castle Milk Stout, but the Mitchells Raven Stout was head and shoulders above both of these.