PDA

View Full Version : "We only serve that by the half"

Spinko
15-07-2012, 19:01
I think I've heard this two or three times in various places now. Do bar staff get training to refuse pints of some beers?

The first was upon requesting a pint of Leffe in the Adelphi in Leeds. I settled for two halves and walked away rolling my eyes.

Most recently, I was in Port St and requested a pint of Little Evelyn (a Marble/North Bar collaboration I think) which was 7%. Hardly stupidly strong! I decided just to settle on a half this time rather than order 2 of them. A shame, as there were a few there that I fancied trying but being told that I can not have a full pint of a beer I decided to head off after the swift half. There's a reason people order a pint rather than a half and being told you can only have a half just serves to wind people up.

Oggwyn Trench
15-07-2012, 19:35
I can understand the Leffe being served in halves as like most strong continental beers its not designed to be served in pints , most if not all Belgium beers have their own style glass .

Only stuff that gets refused to be served in pints around here tends to be the more loopy ciders and scrumpys , the Tiddly at Ellerdine was serving one in thirds of a pint but it was around 16%:eek::drinkup::notworthy::D

gillhalfpint
15-07-2012, 20:24
Haven't done the Tiddly for years. Used to go to their cider fests and camp in the field opposite. Someone thought the cattle grid was a ladder after a few there. Memories.

aleandhearty
16-07-2012, 10:31
Someone thought the cattle grid was a ladder after a few there.

:D I like that.

Wittenden
16-07-2012, 12:30
Reminds me of the days when landlords would refuse to serve pints to women. Probably not allowed to nowadays, because of the Regulations.

Strongers
16-07-2012, 18:01
I can remember stopping off at a pub with a couple of mateson the way to New Quay many years ago. We ordered two pints of Cripple Cockcider and received two halves whilst being informed that we wouldn’t be havingany more of the ‘loopy juice’.

Spinko
16-07-2012, 18:12
I remember when I was a student in Aberystwyth (where I know Quinno from!) and used to go to Y Bae/The Bay Hotel while it was still open. I recall it was £1.40 a pint and you got a free shot of vodka. :o You never really fancied the vodka with the pint, so they'd line up through the evening, until you had around 8 shots of the stuff..

Anyway, they had a cupboard of rather potent spirits which were only available to over-21s (not sure of the licensing reason for this), and you were only allowed 2 per evening. The lightweights would have the Stroh 60 (which was 60%)... there was also two different strengths of Absinthe (60% and 70%), but the real men went for the poteen at 90%. I remember having two of these one night and only being able to eat ice cream for about 2 days. I then looked it up on a website and it said that it should only be consumed heavily diluted with water :eek:

Happy times...that might have been the night when I attempted to smoke a cigar the wrong way round.

hondo
17-07-2012, 07:04
stroh that brings back vague memories of a trip to the European Football championships in Sweden 1992. A friend had picked up a bottle in duty free it certainly made sleeping in a tent easy and allowed you to get tanked up before taking out a mortgage to do a pub crawl in Gothenburg and Norrkoping.

rpadam
19-07-2012, 22:29
According to legend, the French House (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/22251/) has never sold beer in pints to anybody...

Alesonly
20-07-2012, 11:19
According to legend, the French House (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/22251/) has never sold beer in pints to anybody...

Why don't they sell it in Half a Litre And One Litre Glasses instead that would be even better.

rpadam
20-07-2012, 22:33
Why don't they sell it in Half a Litre And One Litre Glasses instead that would be even better.
Not if you've tried their beer (a half will do)!