PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 8th July 2012)

ROBCamra
03-07-2012, 09:14
Oggwyn Trench: Saltaire Tykes Gold
Mobyduck: Salopian Hop Twister
gillhalfpint: Penzance Tater-Du
Bucking Fastard: Marble Pint
oldboots: Roosters The Accomplice
Pubsignman: Saltaire Triple Chocoholic
Wittenden: Hopdaemon Golden Braid
hondo: Caledonian Golden Sun
Thuck Phat: Acorn Gorlovka
aleandhearty: Titanic White Star
Alesonly: WJ Kings Sussex Downs Ale
Spinko: Oakham Bishops Farewell
ROBCamra: Marston's Styrian Single Hop

Oggwyn Trench
08-07-2012, 09:59
Quiet on the beer front this week although things did get a bit silly when everybody started on the bright orange , glow in the dark real cider :D far to easy to drink:drinkup: and we have an 8.5% Perry due next week :eek::D

Oates - Golden Oates
Milltown - Paragon
Saltaire - Tykes Gold
Elland - Calderd Ale

BOTW Saltaire - Tykes Gold

Mobyduck
08-07-2012, 10:48
A good week on the beer front'
St Austel-Tribute
West Berks-Swift Pale Ale
Triple fff-Moondance
Hook Norton-Old Hooky
Darkstar-Hophead
Darkstar-American Pale Ale
Bogarts-Dark Mild
Brodies-Citra
Brodies-London Fields Pale Ale
Twickenham-Naked Ladies
Craddocks-Crest
Elland-Midsumers Night Porter
Grafton-Ironman
Maypole-Little Weed
Olde Swan-Dark Swan
Orkney Brewery-Corncrake
Partners-Ghost
Saxon City-Dubonii Dark Ale
Robinsons-Elbow
Hopback-G.F.B.
Hopback-Cropcircle
Wentworth-Chocolate & Chilli Stout

BOTW Salopian-Hoptwister :cheers:

gillhalfpint
08-07-2012, 15:21
Not been out a lot this week.

Thwaites Torch Light
Tintagel Harbour Special
Tintagel Cornwalls Pride
Penzance Jolly Farmer
Penzance Tater-Du
Adnams Gunhill
Potbelly Streaky

Between the Tater-Du and the Gunhill

BOTW going to Penzance Tater-Du

Bucking Fastard
08-07-2012, 20:24
During the week past over to the Lancashire side of the Leeds and Liverpool and went drinking in Burnley,Chorley,Wigan and Liverpool so there was a lot of ale to consider.Copper Dragon Golden Pippin was a reliable session ale,Oakham Citra,Titanic Chocolate Vanilla Stout and Phoenix Arizona all at one time looked like taking BOTW only to be topped right at the end of the journey by Marble Pint in The Dispensary,Liverpool.Only my second visit to The Dispensary and both time they had some Marble beers on,so guess where I am headed when it's time to move on from The Albert Dock.

oldboots
08-07-2012, 20:29
Not the best of weeks for beer, a visit to Bradford didn't really impress but a short spell waiting for a bus in Leeds allowed a visit to the Duck & Drake and a pint of Rooster's collaboration with Doug Odell which was certainly my best BOTW - Roosters, The Accomplice

Pubsignman
08-07-2012, 20:56
I've had a bit of a detox this week after drinking an unholy amount of Heineken at a music festival in France last weekend. Thankfully, I did manage to squeeze in a lovely pint of Saltaire Triple Chocoholic this afternoon - my only beer this week, but a worthy BOTW nonetheless.

Wittenden
08-07-2012, 21:37
Interesting week,ranging from the sublime to the terminally dull:
Wells and Young's-Young's Bitter.This used to be nectar in the good old Wandsworth days...
Hopdaemon-Golden Braid.Hops to the fore,stone fruit to the finish.
Twickenham-Naked Ladies.Hoppy with stone fruit.A classic.
Brains-SA. I'd not had this before.Hazy, bitter but malt heavy.
Greene King-Ruddles Best.Shouldn't call this Ruddles, really.
Greene King-Abbot Ale. Hadn't had this for years,not a patch on its former glory.
Adnams -Broadside. Not at its full potential.(We were in a 'spoons, after all)
Windsor and Eton-Conqueror. Pitch black, assertively hoppy,roast barley. A Black IPA. Why bother? A perfectly good IPA spoilt in my book.
Moor-Natural Beauty. An unfined, intentionally hazy golden ale.Full of marmalade.My last pint of the day, but the flavour cut through. Good stuff.
My BOTW-Hopdaemon Golden Braid, closely followed by the Naked Ladies and the Natural Beauty.

hondo
09-07-2012, 07:23
Caledonian - golden sun

Thuck Phat
09-07-2012, 10:25
A decent week with a few days boating in Lancashire with Mr Fastard providing a range of decent beer.

Osset Patriot Ale
Wensleydale Gold
Copper Dragon Golden Pippin, Scotts 1816
Goose Eye Pommies Revenge
Oakham Citra, Bishops Farewell
TT Landlord
Abbeydale Demon Drink
Acorn Gorlovka

None of these disappointed but I think by a whisker BOTW was Acorn Gorlovka, a comforting, chocolatey and punchy Imperial Stout.

aleandhearty
09-07-2012, 14:51
At one stage, I didn't think I'd get out this week, but things bucked up from Wednesday onwards. This week's contenders:

Fernandes - Blue Lady.
Fernandes - Hopmaster.
Idle - Black Abbot.
Black Country - Fireside.
Great Heck - Heck's Angel.
Coach House - Gunpowder MILD.
Tring - Mansion MILD.
Bridgehouse - Barnstormer Pale.
Titanic - White Star.
Bridgehouse - Gold.
Saltaire - Tyke's Gold.
Ridgeside - Desert Aire.
Rat - Rat Hole.
Wold Top - Golden Summer.
Pennine - Midnight Rose.
Spire - Twist and Spout.
Spire - Whiter Shade of Pale.
Raw - Madd.
Atomic - First Lightning.
Fernandes - Full Throttle.
Fernandes - Two Brewers.

Not the most exciting batch I've ever drunk. Essentially, it came down to the Heck's Angel vs the White Star. Once again Titanic came up trumps.

ROBCamra
09-07-2012, 15:36
Not the best of weeks for beer, a visit to Bradford didn't really impress

Did you not vist The Sparrow (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/73922/) OB. Never a bad pint on there.

oldboots
09-07-2012, 16:54
Did you not vist The Sparrow (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/73922/) OB. Never a bad pint on there.

That's on the list for the next visit along with a few others I missed, I see both you and Bradford CAMRA rate the place so it must be OK. Haigys, Corn Dolly, Fighting Cock and Exchange Ale House are still on my list as well, shame the Cock & Bottle is shut.

ROBCamra
09-07-2012, 17:04
That's on the list for the next visit along with a few others I missed, I see both you and Bradford CAMRA rate the place so it must be OK. Haigys, Corn Dolly, Fighting Cock and Exchange Ale House are still on my list as well, shame the Cock & Bottle is shut.

It's been voted POTY for Bradford CAMRA.

http://thesparrowbradford.co.uk/bradford-camra-pub-year/

Alesonly
11-07-2012, 00:10
Nearly forgot last weeks Ale of the week Which was W J Kings Sussex Downs Ale. :D Was a excellent Pint.

Spinko
11-07-2012, 19:29
Didn't have that many this week, but a couple stand out as memorable. Marble - Draft, and Oakham - Bishop's Farewell in the Marble Arch and Castle Hotel respectively up in Manchester's northern quarter. I had to have a second Bishop's Farewell as the heavens opened and I'd gone out in shorts and t-shirt :o, so that's the winner

ROBCamra
13-07-2012, 09:48
I've not been massively impressed with quite a lot of the beer I drunk last week so I'm going for Marston's Styrian Single Hop.

They've made a good job of these monthly specials with the only one not being up to scratch so far being Cascade (no surprise there).

Close on it's heels were Wychwood Elderwych & Brakspear Ninety Nine.

All 3 from the Marston's stable, which shows what sort of beer week I had.:( :cheers: