PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 24th June 2012)

ROBCamra
20-06-2012, 09:50
hondo: Red Squirrel Hopfest
Alesonly: St Austell Proper Job
Thuck Phat: Oakham Bishops Farewell
Mobyduck: West Berks One Over The Eight
Oggwyn Trench: Liverpool Organic Pale Ale
Millay: Wychwood Hobgoblin
Spinko: Magic Rock Carnival
Al 10000: Maypole Major Oak
Real Ale Ray: Springhead Aegir Blonde
Quinno: Cherry Baccus
Wittenden: Timothy Taylor Golden Best
Bucking Fastard: Devilfish Bomb Shell
Old Blue: Robinson's Globe Hopping
gillhalfpint: Hunters Full Bore
oldboots: Mallinsons Galaxy
aleandhearty: Great Heck Famous Five
ROBCamra: WJ King Brighton Blonde
Pubsignman: Partners Ghost

hondo
22-06-2012, 08:00
hopfest brewed by Red Squirrel Brewery

Alesonly
23-06-2012, 12:07
After last weeks marathon session the only 2 Pints Ale I had this week was back on Monday Lunch time. Nothing till next Wednesday now so my Ale of the week will have to be.
St Austell Proper Job.

Thuck Phat
23-06-2012, 14:49
Normal service is resumed. Only one to choose from this week and it remains as good as ever. BOTW Oakham Bishops Farewell.

Mobyduck
23-06-2012, 22:39
This week its" one over the eight "from West Berks Brewery, have just revised my choice ,should be more patient.:whistle:

Oggwyn Trench
24-06-2012, 11:54
A good night and i reckon i have just cleared the 200 different beers mark for this year :drinkup: not bad when i normally only go out once a week .

Doctor Mortons - Ball Relief
Doctor Mortons - Essence Fumour
White Rose - Hodgsons Choice
Pictish - Saaz
Pictish - Liberty
Liverpool Organic - Pale Ale
Six Bells - Supper
Batemans -XXXB

Not a bad pint between them , very close but i think the Liverpool Organic - Pale Ale just shades it

Millay
24-06-2012, 15:26
I am roughly in the middle of (just ordered no.4) a Wychwood Hobgoblin session. It's going down so well that I'm not sure I will move onto anytjing else so I am declaring that as my BotW now. It was run clise by something called Chimney Sweeper from Church End (?) that i had in the week.

Spinko
24-06-2012, 18:08
Magic Rock - Carnival

Al 10000
24-06-2012, 18:23
A decent days drinking yesterday beers tried were

John Smiths Cask
Taylor - Landlord
Marstons - EPA
Batemans - XB
Greene King - IPA
Fox Beer Co. - Mr Toad
Everards - Tiger
Maypole - Major Oak
Jennings - Cumberland
Jennings - Queen Bee

My beer of the Week goes to Maypole Major Oak tried in the Royal Oak Aubourn

Real Ale Ray
24-06-2012, 18:54
Thanks to yet another trip to Nottingham, also Chesterfield and Grantham - some good beers sampled:

Ashover Hummy
Ashover Hydro
Springhead Aegir Blonde
Exmoor Hound Dog
Longman Trad Sussex Best
Thornbridge Topaz
Leatherbritches Bounder
Blue Monkey Simian Summer
Tring Fanny Ebbs
Lincoln Green Gyle No. 1 and Gyle No. 3
Woods Athletes Ale
Brewsters Hop a Doodle Doo

A tough choice this week as all of the above were excellent, but have to go for the Springhead Aegir Blonde tried in the Cock and Hoop, Nottingham.

Quinno
24-06-2012, 19:14
I've been concentrating on the Nags bottled selection this last week (now they're free of tie, it has improved!) and I'm very taken with the two Baccus beers, cherry and raspberry. So let's say Cherry Baccus as BOTW, probably will be the Raspberry next week :)

At £4 a pop they're not that bad considering ale is £3.20 and lager around £3.60pp

I also tried the Kwak, that silly one served in some funny wooden contraption. They didn't ask for my shoe as deposit which I believe is de rigeur elsewhere? Despite the gimmickry, it was quite a decent beer!

Wittenden
25-06-2012, 00:12
A Yorkshire lunchtime:
Timothy Taylor-Golden Best Light MILD-always a treat and pleasure to drink this,malt driven and comforting.A North country answer to Larkins Traditional? A perfect session beer
Saltaire-Raspberry Blonde- a new brewery for me, and a new style: a typical West Yorkshire tooth rasper meets cane fruit.Not as off putting as I first thought, an interesting struggle between sweet and sharp.Food for thought, but on balance my BOTW goes to [B]Golden Best[/B, as I could happily drink several pints of it.

Bucking Fastard
25-06-2012, 07:58
A few decent pints in and around Hackney from which BOTW was Devilfish Bomb Shell.Never come across this micro before but if this beer was anything to go by,I wouldn't hesitate to try any of their output in the future.Sampled in The Duke of Wellington,Dalston.

Old Blue
25-06-2012, 08:44
Felt like a quiet week, but there do seem to be a few beers of interest on my list:
St. Peter's MILD
Oakham JHB and Inferno
Fullers Wild River and London Porter
Robinson's Globe Hopping
H & W Hopping Hare
Dark Star Hophead
Black Sheep Bitter
Caledonian Golden Sun

BOTW is Robinson's Globe Hopping

gillhalfpint
25-06-2012, 09:08
Beers this week
Skinners Hains Honey Hop - rebadge for Hains Line JDW I reckon.
B & T SPA
Frys Choc Drop
Coastal Poseidon
Skinners Royal Wave
Dark Star American Pale Ale - contender
St Austell Trelawney - yuk
St Austell Dartmoor - yuk
Purple Moose Glaslyn - contender
Bath Ales Barney
Branscombe Draymans
RCH East Street
Fullers ESB - not its usual good ale
Hunters Full Bore 8% brill

Seeing as we had a few of the Hunters at Watermill fest till it ran out, have to go with BOTW Hunters Full Bore

oldboots
25-06-2012, 09:10
Quite an excessive Saturday what with the battle of the breweries at the Slip Inn followed by a visit to the Maltings to see if the extension was open yet (no); so it will have to be either a Roosters' or a Mallinsons', tempting as The Accomplice, the collaboration with Doug Odell, was; the beer of the battle and the week was Mallinsons' Galaxy

aleandhearty
25-06-2012, 14:44
A pretty good week, with some excellent beers tasted:

Kelham Island - Pale Rider.
Box Steam - Broad Gauge.
Rat - Golden Rat.
Phoenix - Arizona.
Loddon - Ferryman's Gold.
Bob's - Chardonnayle.
Dark Star - Hophead.
Raw - Dark Peak Stout.
Great Heck - Famous Five.
Raw - Grey Ghost IPA.
Fernandes - Taverner's Bitter.
Fernandes - Nightjar.
Fernandes - American Pale.
York - Legacy.
Fullers - Hope and Glory.
Great Newsome - Sleck Dust.
Roosters - Wild Mule.

A tough choice this week, with the Famous Five just shading the Dark Peak Stout.

aleandhearty
25-06-2012, 14:48
Quite an excessive Saturday what with the battle of the breweries at the Slip Inn

I wondered whether you'd go to that. I really wanted to, but family commitments made it impossible. An afternoon drinking Mallinsons and Roosters is pretty much my idea of heaven.

oldboots
25-06-2012, 17:12
I wondered whether you'd go to that. I really wanted to, but family commitments made it impossible. An afternoon drinking Mallinsons and Roosters is pretty much my idea of heaven.

It was and I got to meet the lovely and talented Tara (briefly) before she was whisked off by her sister brewster Elaine and Tom Fozard, Good to see the brewers/brewsters turn up and enjoy each others beers.

Mallinsons won BTW but it was close.

Pubsignman
25-06-2012, 17:22
Not much to shout about this week. Had a nice refreshing pint of Summer Lightning on Sunday but it just about gets edged out by Partners Ghost in the Green Dragon.

I'm off to a music festival in France on Friday so things aren't exactly looking up on the beer front.

ROBCamra
27-06-2012, 13:22
before she was whisked off by her sister brewster Elaine

I don't think "sister" is the relationship there OB. ;):evilgrin:

ROBCamra
27-06-2012, 13:26
Quite a diverse week visiting pubs in Hull, Llandudno & Rhyl.

Wibblers Apprentice was good in the Sussex Arms in Rhyl.

Every beer I tried in Walters in Hull was good as well.

But for BOTW I'm going to have to go closer to home and vote for WJ King Brighton Blonde tried several times in The Baum. :cheers:

Spinko
27-06-2012, 21:43
Quite a diverse week visiting pubs in Hull, Llandudno & Rhyl.

Wibblers Apprentice was good in the Sussex Arms in Rhyl.

Every beer I tried in Walters in Hull was good as well.

But for BOTW I'm going to have to go closer to home and vote for WJ King Brighton Blonde tried several times in The Baum. :cheers:

Did you get to the Hop & Vine in Hull? Really liked that place..

ROBCamra
28-06-2012, 08:10
Did you get to the Hop & Vine in Hull? Really liked that place..

The first pub we visited as usual.

Stewart who owns the place used to edit the local CAMRA mag Pub Mirror and is still active in the branch.

This means that you can get the low down on all the recent changes in Hull.

This time he told us about Wm Hawkes which had only opened the previous Friday.

It also saved me going looking for the Goose & Granite as it had been closed for some time. :cheers: