PDA

View Full Version : Bethnal Green/Mile End pub crawl.

Mobyduck
05-06-2012, 12:13
I'm planning a crawl in the above area with a few mates in a couple of weeks,done the area a couple of times before and will visit old favorites, The Palm tree, Eleanor Arms, Carpenters Arms in Cheshire plus The Pride of Spitalfields. Does anyone know of any hidden gems that would tie in with these preferably trad boozers with a decent beer range,in previous visits have been to the Camel, Florist and Sun Inn in Bethnal Green, also The Coborn Arms in Bow and White Hart in Whitechapel, most of which are fine but always like to try two or three new pubs. Any ideas would be greatfuly received .

Millay
05-06-2012, 13:03
That's not an area I know that well Mobyduck but I will throw Mason & Taylor (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/71556/) in for consideration. It's a relatively new place and can't really be called traditional, it's in what probably used to be office or retail space. But they do some good beers and have some interesting bottles and knowledgable staff. It's right at the other end of Bethnal Green Road from the likes of The Sun and getting close to the City. The other thing to note is that it doesn't open until 5pm on weekdays.

Not much else around unless you want to see the strippers at the White Horse. The Owl & Pussycat is OK but has gone a bit gastro and pretentious. That area is mainly full of bars but you're not too far away from Brick Lane and the Pride of Spitalfields.

Enjoy the crawl

Mobyduck
05-06-2012, 18:30
Cheers Millay,were probably going on a Friday and 5pm might be a bit late in the day bearing in mind we like a couple in the Harp ,chandos place to finish off. Strippers and gastro are not the order of the day.I think maybe we've already found the better pubs about the area ,they're good enough but it's always good to discover something new. Thanks for the reply.

Bucking Fastard
05-06-2012, 22:29
Hi Moby,welcome to the forum.I know the area having boated up and down the Regents Canal for years.If you are going to the Palm Tree,walk up the towpath of the canal westwards and find your way via Victoria Park to The Approach Tavern (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/24937/),mainly Fullers but one guest and a good interior.Carrying on the towpath westwards,to Broadway Market may seem like a long walk but you will be rewarded by a trip to The Dove (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/25056/),which is an excellent pub,great range of real ales,belgian beers and food. Hope this helps,enjoy your day.

Mobyduck
05-06-2012, 22:44
Thanks B.F. The Dove in particular sounds interesting.

Mobyduck
20-06-2012, 23:14
Will be doing this crawl on 26/6/12,pubs planned will be-
Eleanor Arms
Palm Tree
Pembury tavern
Dove Freehouse
Sun Inn
Carpenters Arms (Cheshire Street)
Pride of Spitalfields
Plus start and finish at The Harp (Chandos Place)

Will report outcome when done.:drinkup:

Mobyduck
26-06-2012, 22:09
Will be doing this crawl on 26/6/12,pubs planned will be-
Eleanor Arms
Palm Tree
Pembury tavern
Dove Freehouse
Sun Inn
Carpenters Arms (Cheshire Street)
Pride of Spitalfields
Plus start and finish at The Harp (Chandos Place)

Will report outcome when done.:drinkup:
Well just got back from the crawl which was fairly successful bar a couple of disappointments ,some may say dodgy homework is to blame and they could have a point,but having done the bulk of the pubs before,albeit weekends possibly made for some complacency and the difference between weekends and Tuesday afternoons escaped me at the planning stage. Any a brief summary of the day here,individual reviews on the main site to follow over the next day or so.
The Eleanor Arms .Excellent pub, beer drunk-Shepherd Neame Kents Best. Pub 8/10 beer7/10
The Palm Tree .Disappointing ,beer Mighty Oak Snake in the Glass. Pub 0/10 beer 2/10 (I will relate the story of the palm tree in a different thread soon.
The Pembury Tavern .Impressive,beer Buntingford Galaxy. Pub 8/10 beer 8/10.
The Dove Good, beer ELB Pale Ale ,pub 8/10 beer 8/10
The Sun. missed it out.
The Carpenters Arms Didn't open till 4.00 pm so missed it out ,(poor homework) p****d off.
The Pride of Spitalfields Classic backstreet boozer,beer Crouch Vale Brewers Gold, pub 8/10 beer 7/10
The Harp Best pub in London, beers Darkstar American Pale Ale, Saltaire Cascade pub 10/10 beers 8/10 7/10.
Pub of the day (excluding the Harp as its always the best), The Dove
Worst Pub of the day, The Palm Tree,
Best beer, Buntingford Galaxy.
Worst beer, Mighty oak Snake in the Glass.
Best Landperson (not excluding Binnie from the Harp) ,Binnie from the Harp-Top lady.:cheers:

Mobyduck
30-06-2012, 20:22
Final summary ,a good trip but next time will do it on a Saturday,more chance of all pubs being open and a bit more going on .
Better than working though.:D