PDA

View Full Version : Jubilee beer thread

Strongers
31-05-2012, 15:07
My first of the occasion is Arundel's Jubilee.

Amber and citrus after taste session beer. Easy on the palette.

These are my first ever tasting notes, but I think I've covered everything of importance!

Old Blue
31-05-2012, 17:48
Easy on the palette

Great tasting note, Strongers, but why were you using it to paint with?

Rex_Rattus
31-05-2012, 18:21
Westerham Jubilation in The Warrington Hotel yesterday. Excellent pint - tasted like beer. Very good. Needed a good pint after having to get the barman to produce the teas and coffees for my companions (don't ask!).

Spinko
31-05-2012, 19:45
I usually avoid anything named after something topical, I tend to assume it's being used to hide a boring brown beer I've already had.

Strongers
01-06-2012, 09:12
Great tasting note, Strongers, but why were you using it to paint with?

Because I'm a p*ss artist?

Old Blue
01-06-2012, 09:48
Because I'm a p*ss artist?

Classic!

RogerB
01-06-2012, 14:17
Jubilee beers sem to be a bit thin on the ground. I thought we would be innundated with them along with Olympic beers. The only jubilee beer I have had so far was a pretty rank Nelson Diamond 'Lil. I have a couple of festivals locally this wekend so might see a few then although I wouldn't choose them over a "normal" beer if I have the choice.

Pubsignman
01-06-2012, 14:37
The only jubilee beer I have had so far was a pretty rank Nelson Diamond 'Lil.

Your memory is failing you, as we had a pint of Fuller's Hope and Glory in the Railway Tavern last week.

I tried the Young's Jubilee Ale last night which was okay and I also spotted Adnams Diamond Ale. I have to agree that there aren't as many as I'd expected, especially when compared to the number of new brews made for last year's royal wedding.

RogerB
01-06-2012, 14:58
Your memory is failing you, as we had a pint of Fuller's Hope and Glory in the Railway Tavern last week.

I'm glad you said that because that was the one pub that I didn't note what I had. I knew it wasn't a normal Fullers beer but couldn't for the life of me think what it was.

Millay
01-06-2012, 18:05
Hogsback have a variation on their TEA called Majes-TEA

oldboots
01-06-2012, 18:55
I've had no Jubilee beers nor have I seen any but then this is a dry week due to work.

Come Monday I intend tracking some down, so far I've heard of these in my area:

Theakstons Royal Salute
Ilkley Jubilee
Wharfebank Cheers Ma'am
Roosters Hoppy & Glorious
Hambleton Diamond Jubilee Ale
Leeds Jubilee IPA

One bad pun and the normal amount of imagination in that list.:evilgrin:

gillhalfpint
01-06-2012, 19:10
Really enjoyed ( to my suprise ) the Skinners Royal Wave today at Turks Head, Penzance beer fest today. Also on a good beer from Penpont, Queens Jubilee.

Godolphin, Marazian beer fest had St Austell Jubilicious which went down very well.

Mounts Bay, Mullion fest had a good Bays beer. Jubilee Ale.

Not a bad day out and a lot of good beers.

Old Blue
02-06-2012, 08:11
Tetley's Hop and Glory, in the New Inn in West Knighton, Dorset. The least undrinkable pint of Tetley's I've had for years.

gillhalfpint
02-06-2012, 08:37
We went to 3 of Cornwall's pub beer festivals yesterday, and there were some Jubilee beers around.

Turks Head Penzance had Skinners Royal Wave which I quite liked for a Skinners beer. Also on was Penpont Queens Jubilee.

Godolphin Marazion had the above on, plus St Austell Jubilious.

Mounts Bay Mulllion had the Penpont and Skinners above, plus Bays Jubilee Ale.

All were good beers, even though some of them are blends.

ETA
02-06-2012, 16:55
I'm a bit confused: King George VI died on 6 Feb 1952, so Her Majesty acceded on that day. Her coronation wasn't until 2 Jun 1953. So does this year's Jubilee commemorate the 60.32th anniversary of Her accession or the 59th anniversary of Her coronation? Are we 117 days late or 1 year early?

Bemused of Salisbury

Millay
02-06-2012, 17:37
I'm a bit confused: King George VI died on 6 Feb 1952, so Her Majesty acceded on that day. Her coronation wasn't until 2 Jun 1953. So does this year's Jubilee commemorate the 60.32th anniversary of Her accession or the 59th anniversary of Her coronation? Are we 117 days late or 1 year early?

Bemused of Salisbury

I think its about the year not the date. I recall the silver jubilee in 1977 was in the Summer and we had a fete on the common where i was living. So its jubilee year rather than jubilee day. No point in having an extra bank holiday in February when you could have one in June.

gillhalfpint
02-06-2012, 18:11
People wouldn't spend all their money on bunting and flags for street parties in February either.

Bucking Fastard
02-06-2012, 21:11
I thought Fuller's Hope and Glory was pretty good,with a bit of poke at 4.7%.On the other hand McMullens Jubilation was inoffensive and just rather dull.Nothing to celebrate there.

I have been surprised by how few jubilee beers are on offer,especially given how many pubs seem to be hosting beer festivals down our way.

Al 10000
03-06-2012, 11:44
I had a drink of Idle Lovely Jubbly in the Brick and Tile in Retford yesterday,this drink was very nice in a proper unaltered pub

Oggwyn Trench
03-06-2012, 11:48
Seen a few around although not tried any yet , had a hidious flashback to my early drinking years when i saw one called Double Diamonds (Burton Bridge)

Millay
03-06-2012, 11:56
People wouldn't spend all their money on bunting and flags for street parties in February either.

Absolutely Gill much better to wait for a sunny day in June!!

BTW I've been following Roger on Facebook. He has found himself a spot near Lambeth Bridge and now just has to wait 3 hours for Her Maj to come by.

Mobyduck
03-06-2012, 21:03
West Berks Diamond Jubilee Ale ,4.5%, golden, very hoppy and bitter,very nice.

Millay
04-06-2012, 14:02
I'm at a RoyALE Jubilee fest and there are a number of themed beers, Queens Rifleman, Royal Knees up, Diamknd Ale and the like. Pride of place and biggest groan goes to what I am drinking now though, Tring Brewery Would Jubileve It.

oldboots
04-06-2012, 19:03
I managed to track down these in Leeds

Roosters Hoppy & Glorious - hoppy with loads of C hops (allegedly Citra) and an underlying sweetness - a bit like Jaipur used to be but weaker
Adnams Diamond Ale - a bit like Greene King IPA when it's good but with a bit more class
York Diamond 52 - hop forward with English hops but I felt it was a bit unbalanced, hazy

Also had Roosters Euro 2012 beer "Longshot" which is a bit hoppy and has a little bit of a hop haze but it's not as good as H&G, it has a strange estery flavour which is odd in a 4.2 beer.

Wittenden
04-06-2012, 22:21
I have n't been to the pub much recently owing to pressure of work, but I did manage a pint of Westerham's Jubilation at a farmers market today in Hawkhurst. Someone-Rex here or perhaps somebody on another beer site said it was a proper beer,tasting of beer. I'd agree, adding that I found it crisp, golden, nettley with savoury spices. By which I meant chili without the addition of chili.A fine showcase for 9 varieties of Kent hops.It'll probably be my BOTW, but we'll be selling plants at a Kentish produce gig next Sunday where Old Dairy will be having a stand.(Nelson will also be there, but they aren't to my taste.)

Farway
05-06-2012, 14:25
Had some Havant Brewery DiamonD Light at Cowplain beer fest on Sunday. 3.2%

Got to chatting with Mike [the owner / brewer of Havant brewery], he said it was brewed as a "mixer", sort pint of light & bitter. He reckons a trend he has spotted is mixed drinks making a comeback, at least around here, hence his Jubilee mixer.

Comes in bottle conditioned as well as barrel

Ideal summer afternoon drink, bitter finish

Old Blue
05-06-2012, 15:22
Hogsback have a variation on their TEA called Majes-TEA

I had quite a few of these last night, not really a variation of TEA but a rich 5.2%-er, certainly helped me get into celebratory mood

Oggwyn Trench
05-06-2012, 16:46
Everards Diamond Jubilee was pretty decent but the Imperial Jubilee Bitter was in the running for BOTW and even better the Manager of the Fighting Cocks brought me a pint of it in the Station , well played that man:notworthy:

Sparkplug
08-06-2012, 02:33
The Rifle Volunteers in Maidstone has an extensive range of bottled silver jubilee beers on the shelves, which may give a clue as to when it was last redecorated.

gillhalfpint
08-06-2012, 07:20
Off to St Ives beer festival this morning, and there are a few on there I haven't had yet.

Blue Anchor Diamond Jubilee
Penpont Jubilee Special Ale
RCH Steam Diamond

Plenty of new Cornish Ales from recent breweries on too, so should be a good day and looking forward to it.

Old Blue
09-06-2012, 09:55
Thwaites' Fine Reign wasn't bad at all

Millay
09-06-2012, 17:23
Just having a pint of Hook Norton Hooky Diamond Reserve. Apparently it is a rebrew (?) of the beer they brewed for the silver jubilee. It has a strong taste to it similar to the Abbot Reserve but comes in at just 6%. Strong but managable, a sipping beer more than a quaffing one

Quinno
10-06-2012, 12:49
I usually avoid anything named after something topical, I tend to assume it's being used to hide a boring brown beer I've already had.

You and me both, so the only two Jubilee beers I've had have been guaranteed new brews of quality - Windsor & Etons Treetops (Stout) and Kohinoor ("A classic Indies Pale Ale, using Imperial Malt, Chinook, Simcoe and Pacific Jade hops"). Bother were fantastic, the Treetops especially so when they bunged a few bottles of Irish whiskey in it especially for the Egham USC beer fest :drinkup:

aleandhearty
11-06-2012, 16:22
Only managed two in the end, the imaginatively named Jubilee Bitter from Brown Cow (pretty forgettable) and Kohinoor from Windsor & Eton. Like Quinno, I was very impressed and thought it was lovely stuff.

ROBCamra
12-06-2012, 18:43
We were out of the country for the whole shebang. :D:evilgrin::pray:

Only jubilee beer tried was Marston's Celebration Ale and that was pretty poor.

During the Silver jubilee 4 of us were driving around in a mini with the Pistols God Save The Queen blasting out. :evilgrin:

It was much easier (and safer) to leave the country this time.

RogerB
12-06-2012, 21:50
A sudden spurt of jubilee activity meant I ended up doing Jubilee ales from Shepherd Neame, WJ King, Greene King, Youngs, Wadworth, Cottage, Marston, Nelson and Fullers. Much of a muchness across the board but I have to say the Cottage one wasn't bad but then if you churn out 5 milion different beers a month, you'll get the occasional one right.

Alesonly
12-06-2012, 22:05
Only had one Jubilee Ale that I can remember was good and that was the Weltons Elizabeth the 2nd the rest were nothing outstanding. :(

rpadam
12-06-2012, 22:07
Harvey's Elizabethan Ale (5.0% in draught form, rather than the 7.5% bottled version) is on good form at the village club...

Thuck Phat
15-06-2012, 13:27
Titanic Rule Britannia at 4.2% (if I remember correctly) at the Anglers (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/21344/) in Saxilby. Very good and flew down.