PDA

View Full Version : Pint Price

Strongers
24-05-2012, 10:40
http://www.pintprice.com/

I'll not be moving to Greenland!

RogerB
24-05-2012, 10:59
Anyone fancy the next PG meet up to be in Tadjikistan? Reckon I'll notch up a few new pubs for my 2012 tally.

hondo
24-05-2012, 12:38
"The £5 pint of beer, a phenomena discussed in hushed tones"
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/business/business-news/sabmiller-hits-36bn-as-the-5-pint-of-lager-sells-out-7784990.html

AlanH
25-05-2012, 04:06
Anyone fancy the next PG meet up to be in Tadjikistan? Reckon I'll notch up a few new pubs for my 2012 tally.

Any boozers from Greenland would soon repay their air fare here, being able to buy 25 pints + 10p change for the price of one (ice cold?) beer back home!

Millay
25-05-2012, 18:04
That's an outrageous price in Djibouti. I wonder if they run beer tours to the Congo.

aleandhearty
25-05-2012, 18:20
http://www.pintprice.com/

I'll not be moving to Greenland!

The thing is, I suspect £7.35 is for a bog standard pint. Imagine if they open a craft beer joint in Nuuk...

gillhalfpint
25-05-2012, 20:46
We went into the bar in the last hotel we stayed in while in Vancouver, and there was no beer menu. We had a choice of a light or dark ale and chose a couple of dark ales. I have to admit they were the best beers we had while in Canada. I had to ask for details and was told Howe Sound Brewery Stout 5.6%.

Well the price. They were $9 each. The bill came and it showed with tax and service charge it was a total of $28.34. I thought that was expensive but what I didn't realise till we got home was they added a tip despite the service charge and although my chitty showed $28.34 the money card charge was $32.59. Deffo my most expensive pint!!!

Millay
25-05-2012, 20:58
We went into the bar in the last hotel we stayed in while in Vancouver, and there was no beer menu. We had a choice of a light or dark ale and chose a couple of dark ales. I have to admit they were the best beers we had while in Canada. I had to ask for details and was told Howe Sound Brewery Stout 5.6%.

Well the price. They were $9 each. The bill came and it showed with tax and service charge it was a total of $28.34. I thought that was expensive but what I didn't realise till we got home was they added a tip despite the service charge and although my chitty showed $28.34 the money card charge was $32.59. Deffo my most expensive pint!!!

Ah, the delights and confusion of buying anything in North America Gill. The only way is to do what you did, just accept it and dont try to understand it !

Spinko
27-05-2012, 17:34
Most expensive I've had was a £5 half of a triple IPA from California at an American beer festival. Well worth it as it opened my eyes to interesting beer and American-influenced styles. It was 10% so not quite as bad as it might seem if you consider price per unit.

pintplease
27-05-2012, 17:57
Wetherspoons pubs in my area have just reduced the price of guest ales to £1.99 per pint. Well done JDW

aleandhearty
29-05-2012, 13:26
Wetherspoons pubs in my area have just reduced the price of guest ales to £1.99 per pint. Well done JDW

Well done, for not raising their prices......Just wish they'd raise the temperature of their beer.

arwkrite
30-05-2012, 06:56
My local is trying to shift Green King IPA draught at £1.20p a pint. John Smiths , Pedigree IPA and Doombar at £ 1.90. Lagers £2.00 to £2.30.
House spirits at £2.00 a double. Not bad for a small town out in the boonies.:cheers:

RogerB
30-05-2012, 11:34
In Dartford most pubs are still under £3 a pint. The most expensive are the Sheps and Youngs pubs which are heading towards £3.50. One pub sells Bombardier (and a surprisingly decent quality given that it's a rubbish pub) for £1.95 and my regular the Ivy leaf knocks out 6 of its ales at £2.95. The Paper Moon ('Spoons) has a Sunday Ale Club (cost £2 for 6 months) which knocks 50p a pint off normal prices bringing some ales down to £1.89. Even the music orientated Bull N Vic did Adnams Ghost Ship at £2.75 last night so overall I'm quite happy with prices round my way at the moment.

Wittenden
30-05-2012, 13:15
I was asked £3.70 for Adnam's Ghost Ship in the Thrree Chimneys here in the Weald the other week. I know he is expensive, even for round here. Otherwise most "reasonable " pubs seem to ask around the £3.30 mark. Ouch.

ROBCamra
30-05-2012, 13:29
I was charged £3.85 for a pint of Lees Diamond Jubilee in Sams Chop House (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/65273/) in Manchester on Saturday.

They've always been expensive, but that is a rip off, even for city centre Manchester.

Maldenman
30-05-2012, 17:07

I found the same offer today in The Wibbas Down in Wimbledon, not bad for an Arundel Footslogger at 4.6%, oddly the Surrey Hills Ranmore Ale (3.8%) was £2.30. Still good value nonetheless.

Rex_Rattus
30-05-2012, 21:28
I found the same offer today in The Wibbas Down in Wimbledon, not bad for an Arundel Footslogger at 4.6%, oddly the Surrey Hills Ranmore Ale (3.8%) was £2.30. Still good value nonetheless.
And last night the Rudgate Ruby Mild in the Edward Rayne, Raynes Park, was £1.99 a pint, although other guest ales were more. A really good pint it was too - I'm in danger of becoming a "mild" convert!

Strongers
31-05-2012, 14:30
The eagle in Eastbourne is £2 a pint as they clear out for jubilee beer festival. dark star and Rother valley on offer along with a jubilee beer and black stallion from Arundel. It's like finding a twenty pound note you didn't know you had.

Aqualung
31-05-2012, 22:14
And last night the Rudgate Ruby Mild in the Edward Rayne, Raynes Park, was £1.99 a pint, although other guest ales were more. A really good pint it was too - I'm in danger of becoming a "mild" convert!

I think you'll find that itis just the GUEST ales that are £1.99, although wait a while before I shoot that statement down in flames!

I was in the King's Ford on Tuesday and all the "guest" beers were £1.99. HOWEVER the East London Brewery's Pale was also £1.99 and it isn't on the current guest list.

When I went to the Tally Ho a few weeks ago I was charged £1.99 for Adnams Mayday (I thought it was a mistake). I went to the Drum last Saturday and was charged the standard guest price of £2.09 (I think). Mayday is not on the current guest list!

It seems to me the whole Summer Special Offer is a bit of a shambles!

Aqualung

Oggwyn Trench
01-06-2012, 06:57
Beers in the three pubs i use most are between £2 20 and £2 90 a pint depending on volume% , there are still a few places you can get a pint for £2 like the Raven and Station Hotels in Wellington if you dont mind Marstons or pyschopaths :eek:

Strangely the new JDW in Wellington is around 30-40p a pint dearer than the ones up the road in the usually more expensive Shrewsbury

Al 10000
03-06-2012, 11:53
I was in the Dominie Cross in Retford yesterday and asked for a drink of Springhead Bees Knees which had a price of £2.15 on its clip,the person serving me asked what % the beer was when i said 3.9 % he said all guest beers of that gravity or under should be £1.99 he then promtly ripped the £2.15 price off and charged me £1.00 for a half.

Does this confuse matters even more on Spoons pricing of guest beers ?

AlanH
13-06-2012, 19:44
Golden Lion (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/52201/) in Wrexham is selling Plassey Bitter at £1.89/pint to undercut the Wetherspoons next door. The nearby Welch Fusiliers (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/62829/) is selling Spitfire at £2.
Plenty of other pubs selling beer at £2 or less including Draught Guinness but not much Real Ale.

gillhalfpint
17-06-2012, 07:19
I am rather concerned about pint prices in a couple of the beer festivals I have been to in pubs in Cornwall. We all know some pubs have a little mark up on half pints, but I found the Turks Head in Penzance had notices round the pub that beer was £3 a pint but when I bought my 2 halves I was charged £3.50. I could not see any notice to advertise these prices.

Yesterday I was at the Star in Vogue for their beer festival. Notice above the stillage said Pint £3 Half pint £2. It is for charity. I bought my 2 half pints as I had paid £2 each for us to get to the marquee, but felt that it was the half pint drinker who was paying plenty into the charity and we didn't have any more from the festival selection but went into the pub where normal bar prices were applied on the beer from the bar. They would lose out as there was no way we were going to stay in the marquee paying £4 a time for our 2 halves.

When I compare that to the Crown festival in Penzance where £3 a pint £1.50 a half, and after we had cleared the beers we hadn't had before we were quite happy staying in the pub in good company enjoying staying on Spingo Middle.

Worrying times.

Mobyduck
22-06-2012, 22:49
www.askten.co.uk/tools/10s/top-10-most-expensive-pints :eek:

Old Blue
23-06-2012, 10:07
Fullers Wild River, £4.15 in Ye Olde Bank of England. Pretty sure that's the first time I've paid over £4 in a pub for a pint of one of their own brewery's beers.

Changing to the London Porter proved a false economy as that cost me £4.20!

Millay
23-06-2012, 10:50
Fullers Wild River, £4.15 in Ye Olde Bank of England. Pretty sure that's the first time I've paid over £4 in a pub for a pint of one of their own brewery's beers.

Changing to the London Porter proved a false economy as that cost me £4.20!

If you drink in Fullers pubs regularly Old Blue it's worth asking if they have a loyalty card scheme. I picked one up in the Doric Arch, it was blank and they wrote in the name of the pub so clearly they are for use elsewhere. Worth asking. Terms are buy 8 get one free, valid to 31 August.

Farway
23-06-2012, 15:13
Thanks for that Millay, my walk home lunchtime pint is in Fullers [ex Gales] so will ask. I know when I asked once before they only had Rugby ones so of no use to me

Millay
25-06-2012, 16:33
The £3 ale has arrived at Wetherspoons, well i did get a penny change. I am in Central London I suppose and it is probably still the cheapest around. It was a bit of a shock though. Just as well ghe next lot of CAMRA vouchers can be used next week.

Spinko
25-06-2012, 18:49
www.askten.co.uk/tools/10s/top-10-most-expensive-pints :eek:

They've clearly never been to North Bar :D

Aqualung
02-07-2012, 15:37
I filled in a web form on the Spoons web site a few weeks ago asking why the advertised £1.99 guest beers only seemed to apply in a few places. I mentioned the fact that the North London pubs, The White Lion of Mortimer, The Coronet and the Gatehouse were all NOT charging £1.99. The letter I received said that "a standard guest ale is not £1.99 in the pubs you mentioned".

Out of some 10 Spoons I have recently visited I can only say I have been charged £1.99 in four. The Tally Ho, The King's Ford, The Last Post and JJ Moons in Wembley.
I have a feeling that the offer doesn't apply to beers of 5% and over as Old Growler in Wembley was £2.15. I think if you get charged £1.99 for a 5%+ then it's probably an error, but having said that I have had 5% beers in the Tally Ho and Kings Ford for £1.99.