PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 21 Feb 2010)

Conrad
14-02-2010, 18:15
Well ob has joined RogerB in scaring me with a list of beers from the week and making me realise just how lightweight I am these days. I look forward to another week of hearing new beer names.

Conrad: Cough Syrup
Wittenden: Shep's Late Red (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1121-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-21-Feb-2010%29&p=7912#post7912)
Eddie86: Marble Arch (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1121-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-21-Feb-2010%29&p=7916#post7916) (I think)
Oggwyn Trench: Bank Top Pavilon (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1121-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-21-Feb-2010%29&p=7942#post7942) (Pavilion?)
trainman: Crouch Vale Amarillo (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1121-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-21-Feb-2010%29&p=7949#post7949)
Millay: Beowulf IPA (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1121-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-21-Feb-2010%29&p=7972#post7972)
RogerB: Hopdaeman Incubus (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1121-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-21-Feb-2010%29&p=8035#post8035)
HTM69: Brian Turner (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1121-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-21-Feb-2010%29&p=8037#post8037)
Pubsignman: Milk Street Mermaid (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1121-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-21-Feb-2010%29&p=8052#post8052)
aleandhearty: White Horse 'Wayland Smithy' (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1121-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-21-Feb-2010%29&p=8058#post8058)
ROBCamra: Thornbridge Raven (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1121-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-21-Feb-2010%29&p=8061#post8061)
Dave M: Exmoor Beast (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1121-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-21-Feb-2010%29&p=8062#post8062)
runningdog: Fullers 'Bengal Lancer' (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1121-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-21-Feb-2010%29&p=8082#post8082)

hopwas
15-02-2010, 10:40
No BOTW for me. I wil be drinking mostly on cheap beers as I am almost skint. Payday next week.

ROBCamra
15-02-2010, 17:23
Well ob has joined RogerB in scaring me with a list of beers from the week and making me realise just how lightweight I am these days. I look forward to another week of hearing new beer names.

Should be a good one this week. 2 days in York and then Fleetwood beer festival on Saturday:cheers:

I'm a member of York Brewery club, it only costs me £3 a year to join and they've just sent me a voucher for a free pint at the club bar. What a bargain!

Oggwyn Trench
16-02-2010, 23:16
At the moment its between Black Country Ales , Pig On the Wall and Sharps , Chalkys Bite :drinkup:

HTM69
17-02-2010, 13:36
My beer of the week thus far? GUINNESS!

No, seriously, I have a crawl around Maidstone scheduled for this Sunday and I would like to think an ale-or-two will be sampled before then, as well.

Conrad
17-02-2010, 13:47
My beer of the week thus far? GUINNESS!

No, seriously, I have a crawl around Maidstone scheduled for this Sunday and I would like to think an ale-or-two will be sampled before then, as well.
At least you have one! Stupid cold :moremad:

RogerB
17-02-2010, 13:52
Thanks to the Wealdstone v Dartfiord match being called off last night I haven't had a single pint anywhere this week yet and not much on the horizon until Sunday. Better do Curry night on Thursday me thinks and see what JD's have this week.

runningdog
18-02-2010, 23:37
Up to now, a couple of late Ringwwod Porters are leading the way. The landlord says he's still got some left, but he ain't sayin 'ow much:drinkup::drinkup:

HTM69
19-02-2010, 10:33
Managed to knock back six ales last night after a stressful day in the office. Unless Sunday throws up anything interesting, I reckon the Amber Ale could be my BOTW.

Brian Turner, Amber Ale x2
Chiswick x1
Courage Directors x1
Young's Special x1
Doom Bar x1

RogerB
19-02-2010, 11:03
Managed to knock back six ales last night after a stressful day in the office. Unless Sunday throws up anything interesting, I reckon the Amber Ale could be my BOTW.

Just a miserable 2 new ones for me this week but 1 was a local brewery I hadn't come across before - Hopdaeman in Sittingbourne.

Re Maidstone, the gig is at 2pm in the Pilot which is a Harveys pub so hopefully something interesting in there. There are a couple of pubs in the area doing Goachers but other than that it is mainly Sheps and whatever 'Spoons can throw up. Currently trying to find a couple of decent pubs with sky for the footy after the gig. Put your boozing boots on - it's could be a big one! If anyone else is in Maidstone on Sunday afternoon and wants to join us, let me know and we can arrange something.

ROBCamra
19-02-2010, 11:29
Should be a good one this week. 2 days in York and then Fleetwood beer festival on Saturday:cheers:

I'm a member of York Brewery club, it only costs me £3 a year to join and they've just sent me a voucher for a free pint at the club bar. What a bargain!

Not only did I get a free pint but Centurian's Ghost was on sale at £1.60 to members. :nishelypished:

Current leader for me is Thornbridge Raven tasted at Pivo in York. Still Fleetwood Beer fest to go though!

trainman
19-02-2010, 11:35
a couple of pubs in the area doing Goachers but other than that it is mainly Sheps and whatever 'Spoons can throw up. Currently trying to find a couple of decent pubs with sky for the footy
Seems that Dragoon or Fisherman's Arms may be your footy pubs, and Flowerpot & Thirsty Pig should throw some mix into the beers.

trainman
19-02-2010, 11:57
After revisiting Redhill's Garland for some fine Harveys, incl 'Kiss' which I hadn't heard of before, we found ourselves back in Croydon's George to level out the avg beer price for the day. George was again offering some fine ales incl Bishops Farewell, but I may have to pop back to remind myself of another cracker from Brewster's - 'Ice Queen'.

RogerB
19-02-2010, 12:01
Seems that Dragoon or Fisherman's Arms may be your footy pubs, and Flowerpot & Thirsty Pig should throw some mix into the beers.

Have the Flower Pot and Dragoon on the list but they are the wrong end of town so not sure if we will make it to them on this visit. Also have the Rifle Volunteers as a must do. The Thirsty Dog and Fishermans are handy for the Pilot so they will no doubt get a visit. I'm sure there will be plenty of Sky pubs around even if they are Sheps - ideally I need 3 close together - 30mins first half, quite stroll for end 1st half and start 2nd half then quick strioll for last half hour and celebrations.:D

trainman
19-02-2010, 12:12
Have the Flower Pot and Dragoon on the list but they are the wrong end of town so not sure if we will make it to them on this visit.

Wow! I don't think I could visit a town and miss out the stand-out ale pub. A mile from the Pilot; I think I'd even shell out for a cab if necessary and, believe me, that's not something I do lightly!

...and celebrations.:D

We're already celebrating a day off from struggling against Stoke.

hopwas
19-02-2010, 12:32
Very poor week for me :moremad:

Had Gaymer's Medium Cider (5.5%) which is quite sharp and refreshing and couple of pints of everyone's old favourite Spitfire at local.

Thats about it.. I can't wait for my payday on Monday so I can go to Cannock for few pints then big one on Tuesday.. Black Country Pub Crawl, should be very interesting day (real ale wise)

Wittenden
19-02-2010, 23:11
Just a miserable 2 new ones for me this week but 1 was a local brewery I hadn't come across before - Hopdaeman in Sittingbourne.

Re Maidstone, the gig is at 2pm in the Pilot which is a Harveys pub so hopefully something interesting in there. There are a couple of pubs in the area doing Goachers but other than that it is mainly Sheps and whatever 'Spoons can throw up. Currently trying to find a couple of decent pubs with sky for the footy after the gig. Put your boozing boots on - it's could be a big one! If anyone else is in Maidstone on Sunday afternoon and wants to join us, let me know and we can arrange something.

Won't be able to join you I'm afraid.Pubsandbeer.co.uk a mainly Kent based beer rating site has some keen, if not obsessive posters frequenting Maidstone pubs.

Eddie86
19-02-2010, 23:42
It's going to have to be Wye Valley's DG Ruby this week. So good I may get an extra firkin. Looking forward to a couple of weeks time - got Hobson's mild coming in which is a strong favourite of mine

runningdog
20-02-2010, 12:06
..... another cracker from Brewster's - 'Ice Queen'.
Been on the 'Ice Queen' for a couple of days now. Not my usual type, but I agree, a cracker. Could yet be my BotW but it'll have serious opposition tomorrow, 'HSB', 'Bengal Lancer' and, with a little bit of luck, 'Granny Wouldn't Like It'. :drinkup::drinkup:

aleandhearty
20-02-2010, 14:48
but I may have to pop back to remind myself of another cracker from Brewster's - 'Ice Queen'

Nothing about it on the brewery website, but fortunately some info on the Hoppyspoon's site. It's made with Cascade and Chinook hops so I'm sure I'd love it. I know we both rave about Brewster's beers.

Wittenden
20-02-2010, 15:04
Shep's Late Red for me.It's definately one of my favourite beers at the moment: a fascinating mixture of a full bodied maltiness combined with a distinctly resinous hop element and an underlying sourness. This celebration was caused by visiting the Three Horsehoes at Hernhill, the parish where the Cascades that find their way into LR are grown. Review of pub to follow.

Eddie86
20-02-2010, 16:14
I'm going to change mine to Pint from Manchester (Marble Arch). Dorothy will have to wait til next week, when it'll be up against Dark Side of the Moose and Hobson's Mild

oldboots
20-02-2010, 18:46
Looking very much like Lincoln will have it for me, Cathedral Red Imp was pretty damn good, only real competitor is Pheonix Monkey Town MILD:notworthy: or perhaps Rudgate Viking again: but I reckon unless I find a real corker tomorrow Lincoln will take it for me. (I am not including the amazing Chimay Red I rounded off Thursday night with in Liverpool, coz it's bottled.)

Eddie86
20-02-2010, 18:54
I'm going to change mine to Pint from Manchester (Marble Arch). Dorothy will have to wait til next week, when it'll be up against Dark Side of the Moose and Hobson's Mild

I'm in a dilemma now - Guest ales usually last 3 days, occasionally 4. DG hasn't been on for 24hours and it's nearly ran out...

Conrad
20-02-2010, 19:22
I'm in a dilemma now - Guest ales usually last 3 days, occasionally 4. DG hasn't been on for 24hours and it's nearly ran out...
I bet you wish you could have dilemmas like that every day :)

Eddie86
20-02-2010, 19:27
I bet you wish you could have dilemmas like that every day :)

It's why I've scaled down the increase of HPs from 10 to 8 - I haven't got the cellar space! Most of the beers I sell take 3 days to fully settle and condition, at least. Hence only 4 ales on a Saturday (tonight) if it goes...

Oggwyn Trench
20-02-2010, 23:21
Well for me after a weeks holiday(half term)its going to be Bank Top Pavilon , would have liked to tried Beowulf Swordsman but the Station soldout in less than a day :moremad: BUGER:moremad::moremad:

trainman
21-02-2010, 08:27
Some good stuff in Chelmsford & Writtle yesterday, and the gong has to go to Crouch Vale Amarillo at the Queen's Head.

Maldenman
21-02-2010, 08:31
Tea for me.......and not the Hog's Back variety either. On call , just home after being dragged from my bed at 6:30 for no obvious reason, grrrr!

Millay
21-02-2010, 17:08
My Beer of the Week this week has to be one from yesterday’s crawl and the one that stands out is the shockingly tasty 7.2% Beowulf IPA.

hopwas
21-02-2010, 17:14
7.2% Beowulf IPA.

:eek::eek::eek: that is dangerously high! If I see one of these, i would only buy it in halfs after I learnt my lesson at Rowley Regis two weeks ago. I ordered pint of Exmoor Beast (6.6%) and felt punch drunk afterwards after one pint! :o

RogerB
22-02-2010, 09:54
A hefty beer weekend ended what was a rather barren week even if it did mean a night on the Fosters on Saturday. I think if I have to pick one it will be the Hopdaeman Incubus at the Paper Moon, Dartford, firstly because it was a pretty decent pint, secondly because it has opened my eyes to a previously unknown local brewery and thirdly because I can't remember what the hell I had yesterday apart from some 43% industrial brandy brought back from the landlord's ski trip to Bulgaria...or something like that.

HTM69
22-02-2010, 10:33
My BOTW goes to: Brian Turner, Amber Ale.

Yesterday's Maidstone session consisted of Brains, SA, Harvey's Best, Fullers London Porter, Masterbrew and err...

As well as the Best, several other Harvey's ales were consumed, though I don't recognise any of the names on ratebeer.com!

RogerB
22-02-2010, 10:45
My BOTW goes to: Brian Turner, Amber Ale.

Yesterday's Maidstone session consisted of Brains, SA, Harvey's Best, Fullers London Porter, Masterbrew and err...

As well as the Best, several other Harvey's ales were consumed, though I don't recognise any of the names on ratebeer.com!

The "err" bit consisted of Harveys Old Ale, Dark Mild and Armada.

HTM69
22-02-2010, 13:00
The "err" bit consisted of Harveys Old Ale, Dark Mild and Armada.

Ah, so thats what I drank - can you recall what we had in Ye Olde Thirsty Pig and The Society Rooms?

RogerB
22-02-2010, 13:13
Ah, so thats what I drank - can you recall what we had in Ye Olde Thirsty Pig and The Society Rooms?

Stonehenge Great Bustard in the former, can't remember the latter - I was too busy concentrating on keeping you vertical.

Pubsignman
22-02-2010, 13:38
I spent most of the week driving around France, so I thought I would have to submit a Wine of the Week instead, but thankfully I was able to pop down to Poole on Friday and spend a bit of time in the Brew House, which is home to beers from the Milk Street Brewery. I really enjoyed their stout which I think was called Zig Zag, but my BOTW goes to Milk Street Mermaid - an insanely drinkable hoppy beer which I'll be on the look out for in the future.

aleandhearty
22-02-2010, 14:56
My BOTW, in fact my only beer of the week, was a pi$$-poor pint of White Horse 'Wayland Smithy' yesterday, in a particularly dreary Lloyd's Bar. Its supposed biscuit and spicy hop characteristics were completely negated by the fact it was served freezing cold. Hopefully, a much better week to come.

HTM69
22-02-2010, 14:57
Stonehenge Great Bustard in the former, can't remember the latter - I was too busy concentrating on keeping you vertical.

Yes, well, I was slightly concerned that I had already knocked back 6 before we left The Pilot!

I actually think 9 pints is the most I have ever drank in a single session!

I am incredibly grateful for the lift, btw. If I had got the train from Dartford, I would have probably got on the wrong train and ended up at Charing Cross! I barely recognized my own mother when I got in! I recall attempting to eat something before hitting the sack. I was probably fast asleep by the time the pair of you got back.

ROBCamra
22-02-2010, 15:12
Not only did I get a free pint but Centurian's Ghost was on sale at £1.60 to members. :nishelypished:

Current leader for me is Thornbridge Raven tasted at Pivo in York. Still Fleetwood Beer fest to go though!

Despite many a fine beer at Fleetwood, Thornbridge Raven still wins, dark and complex gets me all the time.

Dave M
22-02-2010, 15:24
My BOTW, in fact my only beer of the week, was a pi$$-poor pint of White Horse 'Wayland Smithy' yesterday, in a particularly dreary Lloyd's Bar. It's supposed biscuit and spicy hop characteristics were completely negated by the fact it was served freezing cold. Hopefully, a much better week to come.
I had a Wayland Smithy a while back and was somewhat disappointed with it. Made me a bit unsure about trying the White Horse Bitter a couple of weeks ago, but that turned out to be very nice!

Anyway, I actually managed to try 5 different beers during the week. Celebrated the shock BC win yesterday with some good old Exmoor Beast :nishelypished: so that gets my vote.

aleandhearty
22-02-2010, 15:36
I had a Wayland Smithy a while back and was somewhat disappointed with it.... Celebrated the shock BC win yesterday with some good old Exmoor Beast :nishelypished: so that gets my vote.

Ah well Dave perhaps a decent serving temp wouldn't have made a difference to the WS.

If you're going to celebrate, 'Beast' is certainly a beer to remove the top inch of your cerebral cortex! :D

RogerB
22-02-2010, 15:59
My BOTW, in fact my only beer of the week, was a pi$$-poor pint of White Horse 'Wayland Smithy' yesterday, in a particularly dreary Lloyd's Bar. Its supposed biscuit and spicy hop characteristics were completely negated by the fact it was served freezing cold. Hopefully, a much better week to come.

Strangely enough I also had an underwhelming pint of Wayland Smithy in a Lloyds yesterday!

RogerB
22-02-2010, 16:05
Yes, well, I was slightly concerned that I had already knocked back 6 before we left The Pilot!

I actually think 9 pints is the most I have ever drank in a single session!

I am incredibly grateful for the lift, btw. If I had got the train from Dartford, I would have probably got on the wrong train and ended up at Charing Cross! I barely recognized my own mother when I got in! I recall attempting to eat something before hitting the sack. I was probably fast asleep by the time the pair of you got back.

I had to have a pit stop at the Eagle in Rochester - one pint in and about 6 out. Mrs B then dropped me off at the Ivy Leaf for a further 4 or 5 pints before being forced onto "special drinks". I could have done with a few Underbergs this morning!

runningdog
22-02-2010, 17:17
My Beer of the Week this week has to be one from yesterday’s crawl and the one that stands out is the shockingly tasty 7.2% Beowulf IPA.

I'm not often a jealous man, but you're taking the micky now..........

I spent most of the week driving around France, so I thought I would have to submit a Wine of the Week instead, but thankfully I was able to pop down to Poole on Friday and spend a bit of time in the Brew House, which is home to beers from the Milk Street Brewery. I really enjoyed their stout which I think was called Zig Zag, but my BOTW goes to Milk Street Mermaid - an insanely drinkable hoppy beer which I'll be on the look out for in the future.

I hope to get to Brew house next Friday. Anytime you're doing something silly like popping in to Poole, give us a shout..........

Mrs B then dropped me off at the Ivy Leaf for a further 4 or 5 pints before being forced onto "special drinks".

I knew there was a reason I revered you as a god, Mr B. You live in a different universe to this unworthy lightweight drinking man, :notworthy::notworthy:

Soup Dragon
22-02-2010, 17:27
This weeken i have had Bathams MILD, Hobson's MILD and Rudyard Ruby Red MILD and a plethora of bitters, Bathams again being one of the best. Too be honest i cant choose - life is too painful at times

runningdog
22-02-2010, 17:35
Ooops, nearly forgot to make me choice. Yesterday was a bit of a disappointment to start with. The 'Ice Queen' went the way of all good barrels, the 'Granny Wouldn't Like It' didn't arrive, and the 'HSB' came out as gravy. The back trestle on the rack broke by all accounts.
Which leaves my BotW as Fullers 'Bengal Lancer'. Thinkin' on it, me carvery was pretty good too, would have been just about perfick if I hadn't pigged out on the roasties. Then me day picked up a treat, I bought half a dozen bottles St Peter's Mild. Not strong, 3.7, but an absolute cracker. I haven't touched the Snecklifter or the Brains Dark I bought at the same time. Although I did finish the night with a Beast or two..........:drinkup::drinkup:

Oggwyn Trench
22-02-2010, 17:44
Strangely enough I also had an underwhelming pint of Wayland Smithy in a Lloyds yesterday!

I tried Wayland Smithy in the White Horse in Oxford and it was very drinkable , tried it in another pub in town and tasted totally different , maybe its one of those beers that needs really good cellarship(is that the word)

Eddie86
22-02-2010, 22:26
I tried Wayland Smithy in the White Horse in Oxford and it was very drinkable , tried it in another pub in town and tasted totally different , maybe its one of those beers that needs really good cellarship(is that the word)

I must have missed this when I was in the horse on my road trip. Next time I'm there though...

Oggwyn Trench
22-02-2010, 22:41
I must have missed this when I was in the horse on my road trip. Next time I'm there though...

How can you miss anything in the White Horse , its so small , Bloody great pub though

Pubsignman
23-02-2010, 00:22
I hope to get to Brew house next Friday. Anytime you're doing something silly like popping in to Poole, give us a shout..........

I will do, although my next trip to Dorset is for a stag night in Bournemouth. I fear an evening of O'Neill's, Yates's, Walkabout etc...:(

Hope you enjoy the Brew House - look forward to your review.

runningdog
23-02-2010, 20:07
I will do, although my next trip to Dorset is for a stag night in Bournemouth. I fear an evening of O'Neill's, Yates's, Walkabout etc...:(

:eek:Oh dear, unlucky you, but then there are two JDW's. Play the cheap lager card..........:drinkup::cheers: