PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 20th May 2012)

ROBCamra
14-05-2012, 11:15
Spinko: Oakham Citra
Millay: Moles Elmo's Fire
Real Ale Ray: Everards Sunchaser
Alesonly: Moorhouses Black Panther
Oggwyn Trench: Purple Moose Ysgawen
Thuck Phat: Oakham Bishops Farewell
Al 10000: Hook Norton Hooky Bitter
Bucking Fastard: Salopian Oracle
Wittenden: Goachers Crown Imperial Stout
oldboots: Daleside Old Leg Over
aleandhearty: Crouch Vale Yakima Gold
Pubsignman: Blue Monkey BG Sips
Old Blue: Wye Valley HPA
Quinno: Purple Moose Glaslyn
ROBCamra: Blue Monkey Infinity

ROBCamra
16-05-2012, 11:17
Good start to the drinking last night in The Baum with two very different beers making a bid for BOTW.

Blue Monkey Infinity, light, hoppy and very refreshing.
Greenfield Terry's Mild, dark, smooth and chocolatey.

A bit of a let down though was Skinners Ginger Tosser, thin, weedy and not tasting of ginger.

rpadam
16-05-2012, 11:54
and not tasting of ginger.
Sounds like a plus point to me!

Spinko
19-05-2012, 19:39
Wish I could report all the good pints I've had in Sheffield but I'm afraid my memory is going to play trickd after 30+ ones so here's ones I actually remembee.

Thornbridge - Wild Swan )Sheffield Tap)
Thornbridge - Jaipur (keg) (Sheffield, Dada, Bath Hotel)
Kelham Island - Pale Rider (Kelham Island Tavern)
Oakleaf - May Bee Mild (Sir Benjamin Huntsman, Sheffield)
Oakham - Citra (Red Deer, Sheffield)

I've had many more but unfortunatrly can't remember too many of them, the best was definitely the Citra so once again Oakham have the award!

Oakham - Citra

Millay
19-05-2012, 20:53
It could have been the Harveys Sussex Best that I've had a fair bit of this week. Or it could have been the bottle of Harveys 9% Imperial Extra Double Stout that I'm drinking right now. But it is going to be Moles Elmo's Fire after five quick pints at the Gardeners Arms last night. Wonderful stuff.

Real Ale Ray
19-05-2012, 21:13
It will have to be Everards Sunchaser a nice thirstquencher:drinkup:

Alesonly
19-05-2012, 22:40
Had a good few Ales this week the best Five listed below
Brakspears Marshmellow
Pendle Witches Brew
Skiners Cornish Knockers
Moorhouses Black Panther
Leeds Brewery Leeds Jubilee IPA
All were good Ales but I will go for the Moorhouses Black Panther as beer of the week another good dark favorite of mine.

Oggwyn Trench
20-05-2012, 10:26
Decent enough week for me

Hook Norton - Wrekin Bitter (rebadged Hooky Bitter)
Purple Moose - Ysgawen
Green Duck - Golden Duck
Salopian - Lemon Dream
Wentworth - Gold
Blackwater - Monkey Business
Wharfbank - Tether Blond

BOTW Purple Moose - Ysgawen

I also had a decent pint of 4% Mild , no idea what it was though , since Ansells have stopped brewing Mild(bet Soupy is distraught:eek:) which was the permanent ale (along with Shropshire Gold) at the Station , Phil the landlord is doing a blind tasting of 7 different Milds to see which one we like best , two more to try next week at the Station Beer Festival , its a hard job sometimes :D

Thuck Phat
20-05-2012, 11:46
Only one choice for me sadly. Happily that one was Oakham Bishops Farewell.

Al 10000
20-05-2012, 17:22
After a day drinking only Hook Norton beers i will go for Hookey bitter tried in the Star Inn in Sulgrave,this drink was very nice and well kept.

Bucking Fastard
20-05-2012, 18:35
BOTW for me was Salopian Oracle,an inspired choice as a regular in The Post Office Vaults,Brum.

Navigating around the Lincolnshire fens in search of a mooring around Boston might yield a winner ,but that is more likely in The Hope,Carshalton on Friday

Wittenden
20-05-2012, 23:39
Not a bad week for me.Two pub visits:one planned, the other a pleasant surprise.
Beers tried:
Butcombe Bitter
Brabourne Stout.I'm pretty sure it is Goachers Crown Imperial Stout rebadged.
Kent Brewery-Spring wheat
Springhead-Bees Knees.

I've never yet found a beer from Kent Brewery to enthuse over,the Spring Wheat seemed to lack the cloves hit I associate with wheat beers.I'm not a great fan of honey beers, but the Brabourne/Goachers was a real discovery-jet black with luscious dark bitter chocolate and real underlying earthiness. A contender for beer of the year.

oldboots
21-05-2012, 09:44
I'm going for an Old Leg Over this week ;)....probably the best in the Daleside draught range and on great form in Hales Bar this week. (the bottled Morocco ale is their best beer)

In Scotland for the next week so next week's BOTW could be Tennants Laaga.

aleandhearty
21-05-2012, 14:05
Almost inevitably, a much quieter week than last week's catharsis. Some good beers though. Tried this week:

Navigation - Pale Ale.
Ilkley - Stout Mary.
Fernandes - Double Six Stout.
Brewsters - Hop A Doodle Do.
Acorn - Lightness.
Milton - Nero.
Crouch Vale - Yakima Gold.
Fernandes - Columbus.
Springhead - The Leveller.
Fernandes - Cascade.
Batemans - Salem Porter.

An honorable mention for the Stout Mary, but the Yakima Gold was on fine form at the Bull & Fairhouse.

Wittenden
21-05-2012, 14:11
[QUOTE=aleandhearty;44749]Almost inevitably, a much quieter week than last week's catharsis.

None of that language here, lad.

aleandhearty
21-05-2012, 14:27
None of that language here, lad.

:D OK. 'Four day bender' it is then!

Pubsignman
21-05-2012, 15:57
I managed to get myself down to the Green Dragon on Sunday to sample the first beer from Croydon's new Cronx Brewery. It was a nice enough pint, plenty of caramel but not particularly bitter.

BOTW however, goes to an old favourite - Blue Monkey BG Sips

Old Blue
22-05-2012, 08:00
Quite a reasonable week for me:

Otley Thai-Bo
St. Austell Tribute
Dark Star Original
Oakham Dreamcatcher and JHB
Windsor & Eton Knight of the Garter
Wye Valley Hereford Pale Ale
Woodforde's Wherry
Robinsons (Elbow) Build a Rocket Boys!
Elgoods Cambridge Ale
Wood's Craven Ale
Twickenham Gothick Dark

I'm going to pick the Wye Valley HPA as it slipped down so well in the Hope in Fitzrovia, and all six of us ended up having rather too much of it.

Quinno
22-05-2012, 10:48
My trip up to West Wales saw me dodging various awful beers (Cambrian Bitter, Felifoel, Hancocks HB) where possible. BOTW was an exceptional Purple Moose Glaslyn at The Harbourmaster in Aberaeron (http://aberpubs.blogspot.co.uk/2007/10/aberaeron-harbourmaster-hotel.html) - a shame that the Welsh micro rotation policy has been discontinued and they now only stock the (admittedly impressive) Mws Piws.

Also some excellent Oakham Beers plus one called Black mamba at the ever-reliable Ship & Castle (http://aberpubs.blogspot.co.uk/2007/10/ship-and-castle.html)

rpadam
22-05-2012, 23:33
the (admittedly impressive) Mws Piws
But "Mws Piws" means Purple Moose (sort of), so which one...

Quinno
23-05-2012, 13:07
But "Mws Piws" means Purple Moose (sort of), so which one...

??

They are all Mws Piws/Purple Moose beers in the Harbourmaster.:confused:

ROBCamra
24-05-2012, 10:22
Good start to the drinking last night in The Baum with two very different beers making a bid for BOTW.

Blue Monkey Infinity, light, hoppy and very refreshing.
Greenfield Terry's Mild, dark, smooth and chocolatey.

A bit of a let down though was Skinners Ginger Tosser, thin, weedy and not tasting of ginger.

Nothing came close to beating the Blue Monkey Infinity over the weekend, so that's my BOTW. :cheers: