PDA

View Full Version : Carluccios - Bar or no bar?

Dave M
11-05-2012, 15:21
I'm interested to know if anyone has ever visited a Carluccios and whether there is any reason for them to be listed on the site. To me they do look rather like a place to eat only - but I have been wrong about other venues.

We have a number of Carluccios (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/search.php?search=carluccios) on the site though and no-one has reviewed any of them. Unless anyone gives me a good reason for keeping them on the site I intend to remove them next week.

I'm not interested in igniting the old 'what is a pub' debate, just want to know about this chain! Cheers.

ROBCamra
11-05-2012, 15:58
No bar, time to get rid of them.

Their website states that they are restaurants not restaurant and bar.

RogerB
11-05-2012, 16:03
If 13 branches of the chain situated in very busy town/city centres can't muster up a single review between them then I would suggest that their worth on this site is zilch! I suggest a big arrivederci to them!

Strongers
11-05-2012, 17:03
Many moons ago I went for a meal in the Hampstead one and I don't recall a bar.

Alesonly
11-05-2012, 18:20
Theres one in Muswell Hill its just an over priced Snack bar selling posh cakes & rolls certainly not a bar you could drink in don't think the one here is licensed. Get rid its not a Pub.

ROBCamra
17-05-2012, 09:44
Now those Carluccio's have gone. :notworthy:

How about all those pesky Cafe Rouge that are exactly the same in my opinion?

Millay
18-05-2012, 20:10
Now those Carluccio's have gone. :notworthy:

How about all those pesky Cafe Rouge that are exactly the same in my opinion?

I'd agree with that. Would be interesting to see the entries/review stats on that one as well. I suspect many will have photos but no one has stepped foot inside.

oldboots
18-05-2012, 21:46
I'd agree with that. Would be interesting to see the entries/review stats on that one as well. I suspect many will have photos but no one has stepped foot inside.

I've reviewed about 4, usually the same review with a small change depending on whither I see draught beer or not.

Maldenman
19-05-2012, 10:29
I'd include La Tascas in this list too, yes technically you can have a drink in them but who does?

"Fancy a pint?"

"Yes, how's about La Tasca?"

ROBCamra
19-05-2012, 10:45
I'd include La Tascas in this list too, yes technically you can have a drink in them but who does?

"Fancy a pint?"

"Yes, how's about La Tasca?"

I'm afraid I can't agree about La Tasca.

To my knowledge the ones in Manchester, Didsbury, Harrogate & Derby all have areas & tables set aside for drinkers.

Maldenman
19-05-2012, 11:31
Fair enough, my experience is based on the one here in Kingston.

Still can't see how anyone would select one as a drinking venue of choice though.

ROBCamra
19-05-2012, 11:51

Still can't see how anyone would select one as a drinking venue of choice though.

The one in Harrogate is on John Street which is the trendy bar bit of town and there are always people sitting/standing outside and drinking at the weekends.

The ones in Derby & Manchester aren't actually on PuG and I'm not going to add them either. ;)

I think this is one of the problems in that lots of La Tasca's are part of a franchise rather than an owned chain, so they're all different.

Strongers
19-05-2012, 22:24
I think that cafe rouge allow the bottled beer to be consumed without food being ordered so technically they should remain on this site. The La Tasca in Brighton has a bar area so I agree that they warrant their place.
If beer can be consumed without a fee for entry or food then welcome to pug.

Farway
20-05-2012, 13:34
If beer can be consumed without a fee for entry or food then welcome to pug.

Agree with that

NickDavies
21-05-2012, 16:35

Sometimes you have an aged or vaguely disapproving in-law or maiden aunt in tow who requires refreshment. You do too but know very well that suggesting a JDW would cause a further diminution of your credit rating. A posh hotel lounge would of course impress but your bank manager may also have an eye on your credit rating. So a La Tasca sometimes suits all parties. Well just about.

Pangolin
03-08-2012, 22:15
Hesitating to speak up for Cafe Rouges (or is it Cafes Rouges), but last time I was eating in one (a former pub) not only did it have a keg lager on tap, but someone who came in later was offered a table "in the bar area" because the restaurant was full. If it looks like a duck...

Mobyduck
03-08-2012, 22:29
Never been in one ,nor ever likely to.