PDA

View Full Version : Hoppy's Black Country pub crawl

hopwas
14-02-2010, 11:18
Before I start, I found another JDW pub I forgetten to tick off.. http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/63725/ which takes me to 98 JDW I have visited.

I have pencilled in 23rd Feb for next pub crawl.

Possibly 7 or 8 JDWs to be ticked off..

Northfield (new JDW)
Halesowen
Stourbridge
Brierley Hill x2
Dudley
Sedgley
Walsall

I'll let you know for more updates.

Oggwyn Trench
14-02-2010, 17:23
You ever done Stourport Hoppy? , i drive through it on occasion and there looks a few intresting pubs in this slightly strange place , a seaside style town about as far from the sea as you can get

arwkrite
14-02-2010, 22:09
I like Stourport but it has been feeling the pinch of the recession. Quiet in the winter it gets busy in the summer with day trippers and Holiday Caravaners. The Crown by the bridge and the fair is a JDWs. Not the biggest by any means , it has an outside seating area where you can be defeaned by music from a peice of fairground equipment. Stourport is worth a bit of research. The Tontine was still closed last time I passed but the canal area and marina worth a look.Its a small town so staggering distances are n't to far.Great fish and chip shops aswell.

Oggwyn Trench
14-02-2010, 22:30
Cheers Mr A , just had a look at your reviews , know what you mean about the ring road bit , always fancied the look of The Old Beams it looks how an old pub should , if you know what i mean . I drive through most weeks to avoid Kiddiminster and it is weird to come across a seaside town so far from the sea :confused:

arwkrite
14-02-2010, 22:57
I was restricted on my visits because Stouport is not wheelchair friendly as to its hilly nature ( and the mrs was no lightweight). The Beams has plenty of parking and a large safe outside grassed area. The interior was looking a bit tired last year. Cannot remember the beer. All it wants is a string of donkeys and a pier.

hopwas
15-02-2010, 09:37
You ever done Stourport Hoppy? , i drive through it on occasion and there looks a few intresting pubs in this slightly strange place , a seaside style town about as far from the sea as you can get

I done Stourport mate even ticked off JDW's The Olde Crown Inn and yeah it has feeling of Seaside Town despite sea is miles away. Not ideal place for people with weak legs or wheelchair users as it is very hilly!

I was disappointed with Stourport's pubs and you are better off with nearby Bewdley as they have stunning pubs.

RogerB
15-02-2010, 11:12
Before I start, I found another JDW pub I forgetten to tick off.. http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/63725/ which takes me to 98 JDW I have visited.

I hit the ton yesterday when we stopped off at the Moon Under Water in Wigan for a beer breakfast on the way to the Bolton v Spurs match. I'm glad it was a pretty good 'Spoons to achieve my milestone however I do seem to be acquiring a crepuscular beer habit these days! Damn those Wetherspoon breakfasts. :whistle:

hopwas
15-02-2010, 11:20
Congratulations! :cheers::cheers::cheers: Those Wetherspoons are bloody lovely.. especially £1.49 for coffe and bap.

If everything going to plan then Halesowen's The William Shenstone will be by 100th.

Roger, now go for 150th!

Oggwyn Trench
15-02-2010, 11:20
I done Stourport mate even ticked off JDW's The Olde Crown Inn and yeah it has feeling of Seaside Town despite sea is miles away. Not ideal place for people with weak legs or wheelchair users as it is very hilly!

I was disappointed with Stourport's pubs and you are better off with nearby Bewdley as they have stunning pubs.

Theres a new pub opened in Bewdley , The Arches right by the bridge on Severnside , used to be a Cafe Bar but has been converted to a pub very small n cosy and they are converting upstairs into a lounge , got Enville Ale on which i always find a bonus

RogerB
15-02-2010, 11:24
Congratulations! :cheers::cheers::cheers: Those Wetherspoons are bloody lovely.. especially £1.49 for coffe and bap.

If everything going to plan then Halesowen's The William Shenstone will be by 100th.

Roger, now go for 150th!
It's taken 30 years to get to 100 (104 if you count the 4 that have now closed)! 101 will probably be tomorrow when I'm off to Wealdstone v Dartford - not much around the Rayners Lane area apart from 'Spoons so looks like grill night and a run of the pumps before kick off. Doing a few pubs in Maidstone next Sunday and looks like the Society Rooms is the meeting point so that will be 102. After that, no idea.

hopwas
15-02-2010, 11:26
Theres a new pub opened in Bewdley , The Arches right by the bridge on Severnside , used to be a Cafe Bar but has been converted to a pub very small n cosy and they are converting upstairs into a lounge , got Enville Ale on which i always find a bonus

ohhh.. new pub! I last visited Bewdley in last year August. I wonder that old cafe sits next door to Fish and Chips by bridge.

Have you been to WoodColliers pub up the hill in Bewdley? Real gem and around 6 handpulls.

hopwas
15-02-2010, 11:31
It's taken 30 years to get to 100 (104 if you count the 4 that have now closed)! 101 will probably be tomorrow when I'm off to Wealdstone v Dartford - not much around the Rayners Lane area apart from 'Spoons so looks like grill night and a run of the pumps before kick off. Doing a few pubs in Maidstone next Sunday and looks like the Society Rooms is the meeting point so that will be 102. After that, no idea.

30 years?! :eek::eek: First JDW opened in 1978 somewhere in London.

It took me 15 years to reach 100 (that time JDW was relatively unknown) after slow start and number of JDWs I have visited really took off in early 2000's.

My first JDW was The Standing Order, Derby in 1995 and I was 16 (I know I was underage but hey everyone has done it eh?) I remember the price of Carling was 99p!

hopwas
15-02-2010, 11:36
HELP

Right I gotta reply on you Black Country residents.

I have searched for bus route that will take me from Northfield to Halesowen. Hoever it seems there is no obvious route so any of you know which bus route will goes to Halesowen from Northfield.

many thanks

Hoppy

Oggwyn Trench
15-02-2010, 11:40
ohhh.. new pub! I last visited Bewdley in last year August. I wonder that old cafe sits next door to Fish and Chips by bridge.

Have you been to WoodColliers pub up the hill in Bewdley? Real gem and around 6 handpulls.

As you go over the bridge into town turn left , its the first building next to the fishing tackle shop .
Have been to the Woodcolliers but not for a few years , it was a cracker then , the Black Boy used to be good as well

runningdog
15-02-2010, 11:48
Those Wetherspoons are bloody lovely.. especially £1.49 for coffe and bap.

I wish you hadn't mentioned lovely, coffee and Wetherspoon in the same sentence. Blouidy heresy:eek:
:drinkup::cheers:

RogerB
15-02-2010, 11:54
My first JDW was The Standing Order, Derby in 1995 !
I can't actually remember my first but it was probably the Elbow Room in Tottenham - still a pub but no longer a 'Spoons - one of my 4 ex-Spoons.

hopwas
15-02-2010, 11:55
As you go over the bridge into town turn left , its the first building next to the fishing tackle shop .
Have been to the Woodcolliers but not for a few years , it was a cracker then , the Black Boy used to be good as well

Ah! I know where you mean, mate. I will not be visiting Bewdley for while but will visit new pub when I get the chance.

Ironbridge is on my list to do and pity they dont have JDW...

Oggwyn Trench
15-02-2010, 12:11
Ah! I know where you mean, mate. I will not be visiting Bewdley for while but will visit new pub when I get the chance.

Ironbridge is on my list to do and pity they dont have JDW...

Ironbridge doesnt have a JDW but just up the hill on the edge of Madley is the All Nations an all time classic brewpub

hopwas
15-02-2010, 12:24
Ironbridge doesnt have a JDW but just up the hill on the edge of Madley is the All Nations an all time classic brewpub

Is it near Blist(sp?) Hill museum if I think correctly. I have visited museum last year and drank in Victorian pub within museum site (name of the pub escapes me)

Oggwyn Trench
15-02-2010, 14:04
Is it near Blist(sp?) Hill museum if I think correctly. I have visited museum last year and drank in Victorian pub within museum site (name of the pub escapes me)

Its not far away , though you wound`nt find it if you did`nt know where to look

trainman
15-02-2010, 16:54
there is no obvious route so any of you know which bus route will goes to Halesowen from Northfield.

The transportdirect.info site I recommended suggests that would be 2 buses, changing in a slightly different location in Bartley Green in either direction.
So, for instance; Halesowen>Bartley Green, bus#002, 17mins, then 14min wait for bus#18 to Northfield, 13mins.
Or (as I now see the direction requested!), Northfield>Bartley Green, bus#18 (at .29 &.59 past hr), 17mins, then 06min wait for bus#002 to Halesowen, 15mins.

Have another play with www.transportdirect.info selecting start finish locations with town/district/village drop-down option & the maps will show you where to board/alight the bus.

ps. It seems you'd be passing the 'Somers Sports & Social Club' which sounds good - 10handpumps, listed grade2, but limited lunch hours (12-14:00).
pps. You may need a Camra card to get in!

hopwas
15-02-2010, 17:15
The transportdirect.info site I recommended suggests that would be 2 buses, changing in a slightly different location in Bartley Green in either direction.
So, for instance; Halesowen>Bartley Green, bus#002, 17mins, then 14min wait for bus#18 to Northfield, 13mins.
Or (as I now see the direction requested!), Northfield>Bartley Green, bus#18 (at .29 &.59 past hr), 17mins, then 06min wait for bus#002 to Halesowen, 15mins.

Have another play with www.transportdirect.info selecting start finish locations with town/district/village drop-down option & the maps will show you where to board/alight the bus.

Brilliant!! I think you just saved my day! :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Why I didn't think of it in the first place! :o

I can catch bus from Northfield to Selly Oak where I can catch bus from Selly Oak to Halesowen.

Thanks Trainman!

Hoppy

trainman
15-02-2010, 17:34
Up to you old bean, tho that doesn't look as geographically direct, to me, as the example above. I also read that Waggon & Horses (14 HPs) and Hawne Tavern (both Halesowen) are past award winners.

hopwas
15-02-2010, 17:49
Up to you old bean, tho that doesn't look as geographically direct, to me, as the example above. I also read that Waggon & Horses (14 HPs) and Hawne Tavern (both Halesowen) are past award winners.

Thanks, been to both anyway.

I dont care about geographically.. as long any bus will take me to Halesowen :D

Delboy20
15-02-2010, 21:40
I've always preferred any bus that takes me away from Halesowen myself !

Cheers,

Del.

Delboy20
15-02-2010, 21:45

Hi there,

Would that be The Village Inn ?? I am staying on Pinner Road before the final and thought I may get the chance to pop to that one myself.

There doesn't seem to be another pub near it !!

Cheers,

Del. :avfc: :avfc: :avfc: :avfc:

arwkrite
15-02-2010, 21:47
I have this idea that Hoppy lives in a parallel Universe where everything is the opposite to ours.

RogerB
15-02-2010, 22:16
Hi there,

Would that be The Village Inn ?? I am staying on Pinner Road before the final and thought I may get the chance to pop to that one myself.

There doesn't seem to be another pub near it !!

Cheers,

Del. :avfc: :avfc: :avfc: :avfc:

Bit of a cock up on the geography front on my part - it is Ruislip Manor I will be at tomorrow, not Rayners Lane. That said, I was at the Village Inn a couple of weeks ago when I went to see Harrow Borough v Dartford (only for it to be called off 45 mins before ko). There isn't much in that part of the world but the Village did have 4 guests on and I've certainly been in worse 'Spoons. I'll try and get a review on tomorrow.

trainman
16-02-2010, 06:40
as long any bus will take me to Halesowen :D

I don't see anything direct from Selly Oak... that route seems to require another change at 'Court Oak', nr Bearwood, north of Harborne.

hopwas
16-02-2010, 08:41
I don't see anything direct from Selly Oak... that route seems to require another change at 'Court Oak', nr Bearwood, north of Harborne.

Right bit of cock up on my part..

I should have said Bearwood not Selly Oak..

Silly me.

Hoppy

hopwas
17-02-2010, 15:31
I got spare time on this monday so I may have time for few pints at Cannock's JDW plus few pubs which will brings me up to 99 JDW I have visited.

So Northfield's new JDW looks like my 100th JDW on Tuesday.

Will keep you guys posted

Hoppy

Soup Dragon
17-02-2010, 18:38

It was the New Inn, from Walsall - until they moved it!

Soup Dragon
17-02-2010, 18:38
have you been to Northfield Hoppy?

hopwas
17-02-2010, 18:43
It was the New Inn, from Walsall - until they moved it!

Of course now I remember! Thanks old fella!

have you been to Northfield Hoppy?

Nope Northfield is new area to explore in Brum. Never been to its pub or visited there.

Oh soupy.. did you visit Harborne? How was it?

Soup Dragon
19-02-2010, 17:47
Of course now I remember! Thanks old fella!

Nope Northfield is new area to explore in Brum. Never been to its pub or visited there.

Oh soupy.. did you visit Harborne? How was it?

A little more hit than miss - will get reviews out when i can - but on a beer trip from the D of York, Lichfield tomorrow, then Gornal on Sunday again - so busy!

hopwas
19-02-2010, 17:51
A little more hit than miss - will get reviews out when i can - but on a beer trip from the D of York, Lichfield tomorrow!

I was told that DoY are not selling MILD at the moment. I havent been there for while mind you.

Delboy20
19-02-2010, 19:05
You might want to delay your trip to Stuorbridge Hoppy !

http://www.stourbridgenews.co.uk/news/local/your_community/st/stourbridge/4886288.Wetherspoons_complete_Stourbridge_centre_d ouble/

Chicagos was an awful place.

Cheers,

Del.

hopwas
20-02-2010, 08:01
You might want to delay your trip to Stuorbridge Hoppy !

http://www.stourbridgenews.co.uk/news/local/your_community/st/stourbridge/4886288.Wetherspoons_complete_Stourbridge_centre_d ouble/

Chicagos was an awful place.

Cheers,

Del.

Never heard of Stuorbridge but I know there is place called Stourbridge.. :whistle:

Joking aside..

Arrrrggggghhh.. didn't see that coming! Official JDW website didn't even mention new JDW in Stourbridge :moremad::moremad::moremad:

Right... my original pub crawl plan will go ahead regardless. I will be back to tick off new JDW later this year when its open.

Thanks Del for letting me know.

Hoppy

hopwas
23-02-2010, 08:09
LATEST

I am afraid I bring you bad news, I have decided to cancel todays Black Country pub crawl due to food bug and feeling so worn out after yesterday's pub crawl. So I decided to have a day's rest and maybe pint or two at local JDW.

I ate chip with curry at Suttton Coldfield game last night and I suspect it might have caused my countless visit to toilet in wee early hours! Didn't had decent sleep (only 3 hours sleep bewteen 12am 7.30am) hence I gave this pub crawl a miss.

Fear not! My original Black Country pub crawl plan willl still go ahead at new date (unknown at the moment)

Sorry to disappoint you fellas

Hoppy

arwkrite
23-02-2010, 08:19
Sorry to hear that Hoppy. Make sure you get yourself well before any further exploration. especially when you consider the places you find.:sick:

hopwas
23-02-2010, 09:09
Sorry to hear that Hoppy. Make sure you get yourself well before any further exploration. especially when you consider the places you find.:sick:

Ta! My stomach is bit iffy at the moment but much better than it was couple of hours ago. I'll stick to very safe JDW food...:whistle: