PDA

View Full Version : Plagarism

Lady Grey
05-05-2012, 15:07
Hi there, I've just been on an information site called Qype (I don't know if you're allowed to name other sites) and discoverd that someone has used a photo that I took of The Plough Inn Prestbury, Cheltenham. The Pubs Galore logo can be clearly seen at the top of the photo, and they have had the cheek to use an assumed name. I'm quite irritated by this, but the "perp" has clearly come onto the Pubs Galore site and ripped off a photo.

Farway
05-05-2012, 16:58
I have had this happen to me as well. There was a bit of thread, or at least a comment by Galore Admin that they were pretty laid back about it, especially as the PuG logo is there. I did point out that the other site could be just linking to the image and thus pinching PuG bandwidth, but from memory I think it boiled down to the photographer to complain to the site carrying the image. No doubt D or C will soon put me right if I have this false memory :)

There is a program somewhere that will let you find all similar images, so you can spot who has nicked your one, I did this and found an MP had nicked one of mine for his web site, but I let it ride as it was a Veteran's lapel badge, all in a good cause

rpadam
05-05-2012, 17:42
There is a program somewhere that will let you find all similar images, so you can spot who has nicked your one, I did this and found an MP had nicked one of mine for his web site, but I let it ride as it was a Veteran's lapel badge, all in a good cause
I would be very interested to know what this program is called.

oldboots
05-05-2012, 17:49
I'd be quite flattered if someone thought one of my snaps good enough to pinch, as long as PuG gets a mention (and I don't think they can clear the watermark very easily) but likewise please name program names .

Farway
06-05-2012, 14:53
Wish I could, I found it a couple of years back on a forum somewhere

However trusty old Google shows this http://www.tineye.com/

TinEye is a reverse image search engine. You can submit an image to TinEye to find out where it came from, how it is being used, if modified versions of the image exist, or to find higher resolution version

and most importantly

Locate web pages that make use of an image you have created

Not sure if it was the one I used, it free but limits images, see the FAQs

PS just tried it, fail to find my PuG ones, so not sure how useful it may be

Lady Grey
08-05-2012, 14:00

TinEye is a reverse image search engine. You can submit an image to TinEye to find out where it came from, how it is being used, if modified versions of the image exist, or to find higher resolution version

and most importantly

Thank you for that information, I appreciate it

Millay
08-05-2012, 20:44
A number of years ago I used to do a fair bit of writing on travel websites and one that I used was called Globosapiens. It was full of pretty hardcore travellers hiking to remote parts of the world, walking the Camino de Santiago Way, taking African safaris etc. And then I joined with my tales of drinking beer in Belgium and Vegas!! The latter report actually went down rather well and a link can be found below if you fancy a read.

Anyway, as I say this was a pretty serious group of people and one of the long-standing senior members was outed one day for posting professional photos from a travel companies website on her pages and claiming them as her own. A veritable witch hunt started and this poor woman was horribly vilified online and drummed out of the brownies. It was around then that I decided to leave and found another that was a bit more laid back and friendlier (a bit like moving from BITE to PuG I suppose)

Here's the link if you want to have a read (http://www.globosapiens.net/travel-information/Las+Vegas-2139.html)

hondo
09-05-2012, 08:10
Here's the link if you want to have a read (http://www.globosapiens.net/travel-information/Las+Vegas-2139.html)

An enjoyable read :bemerry:

as dean martin sang
"I love Vegas when I'm winning,
mmmmmm I love it when I lose.
I love Vegas, like the army loves it's manuals.
I love Vegas, like Sinatra loves Jack Daniels."

RogerB
09-05-2012, 09:32

and most importantly

Just tried that with a photo of mine that someone is legitimately using on their website with my permission and despite searching 2.1 billion sites, it returned a Nil response!

Wild Rover
12-05-2012, 23:40
Quite impressed with your excellent review of Las Vagas ,brought back memories.Have been there 3 times now and on my last visit in 1997 got married,it might be time to get the brochures out for a return visit