PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 6th May 2012)

ROBCamra
01-05-2012, 09:13
Oggwyn Trench: Robinsons Build A Rocket Boys
oldboots: Little Valley Midgley Mild
Wittenden: Adnam's Ghost Ship
Alesonly: Nethergate Essex Beast
gillhalfpint: Cantillon Gueuze
aleandhearty: Partners Tabatha
Thuck Phat: Blue Monkey Organ Grinder
Bucking Fastard: Blue Monkey Organ Grinder
Spinko: Thwaites Wainwright
Millay: Wychwood Hobgoblin
PaulOfHorsham: Mikkeller Citra
Pubsignman: Thornbridge Wild Swan
Quinno: XT4 from the wood
Old Blue: Otter Ale
ROBCamra: Moorhouse's Pendle Porter

Oggwyn Trench
06-05-2012, 20:33
Had a weekend in Cambridge for the wifes birthday , not as many pubs as i would have liked and a bit of GK overkill:eek:

Adnams - Broadside
Adnams - Southwold Bitter
H&H - Olde Trip
Westgate - Ale Fresco
Wolf - Straw Dog
Marston - Pedigree
GK - Libertine
Three Mills - Pale Ale
Roosters - True Grit
Woodfordes - Once Bittern
GK - Eagle DNA

But BOTW and probally the longest name for a pint is Robinsons - Lets Build a Bomb Boys (inspired by Elbow)

oldboots
06-05-2012, 20:53
As it's May and supposedly Mild Month it'll be Little Valley Midgley Mild for me.

Wittenden
06-05-2012, 22:29
Managed one pub visit this week,the Three Chimneys in Biddenden, where I enjoyed a couple of pints of Adnam's Ghost Ship. This wasn't as epically excellent as their New Zealand Pale Ale,taken in the same pub last Autumn, but I found it to be a real uncompromising East Coast beer: I could feel the East wind and taste the seaweed. Adnams are on top form at the moment.And on gravity dispense!

Alesonly
07-05-2012, 00:59
Not much choice in the way of Ale this week Just a few Pints of Newcastle Brown Old Peculiar And Essex Beast. So I will go for the Essex Beast as beer of the week.

gillhalfpint
07-05-2012, 07:45
The only beer I have had this week were the lambics I had in Brussels on Monday. Lambics are new to me, and I tried a palette of Timmermans at La Becasse before going on to Cantillon. I worked my way through the ones they had on offer and got on fine with most of them. Not too keen on Kriek although much better than the Timmerman's one, but my BOTW had to be the Cantillon Gueuze.

aleandhearty
07-05-2012, 11:26
Fairly subdued week for me, with a couple of old favourites, that should have been contenders, not quite at their best. Tried this week:

Partners - Tabatha.
Pennine - Midnight Rose.
York - Terrier.
Oakham - Bishops Farewell.
Durham - White Amarillo.
Rat - White Rat.
York - Ghost Ale.

The Bishops Farewell would normally have won hands down. However, the Tabatha, a pale Belgian tripel style beer, takes the honours instead.

Thuck Phat
07-05-2012, 15:36
An excellent week due to boating in Nottinghamshire and Lincolnshire:
Blue Monkey - Whisky Cask Aged Guerilla, Organ Grinder, Elderflower Evolution, 99 Red Baboons, Infinity, BG Sips
Bass
Oakham - Bishops Farewell
Titanic - Capt. Smiths, 1912
Thornbridge - Jaywick
Vale - VPA
Abbeydale - Absolution
Revolutions - Overkill
Black Sheep - Golden Sheep
Milestone - American Pale Ale
Leeds - Jubilee IPA
Newby Wyke - White Squall

The Bishops, White Squall, VPA and everything from Blue Monkey was excellent. The Jaywick was disappointing for Thornbridge and Revolutions Overkill, a rhubarb wheatbeer was just plain odd. BOTW was Blue Monkey Organ Grinder at 5.9%. Brewed for the beer festival at The Organ Grinder (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/31061/) and described by Blue Monkey as "dark, funky and a bit menacing". I can't top that description and I certainly wouldn't argue with it.

Bucking Fastard
07-05-2012, 17:31
I am with Mr Phat on the choice of Blue Monkey Organ Grinder as BOTW.Chesnut colour,rich yet a beautiful subtle bitterness to tempt you into another.This is only an occasional brew but I hope it makes it on to the core list of BM ales.Probably the best beer of 2012 so far.

Spinko
07-05-2012, 18:32
Rat - White Rat (The Hop, Leeds)
Magic Rock - High Wire (Foley's)
Thwaites - Wainwright (Veritas)
York - Guzzler (Foley's)
Everard's - Sunchaser (Stick or Twist)
Eton & Windsor - Knight of the Garter (Scarbrough Hotel)

I'll go with the Wainwright as all three of us agreed that it was a superb pint and helped set us up for Live @ Leeds on Saturday very well.

Millay
08-05-2012, 20:48
It's going to be an old favourite this week, Wychwood Hobgoblin.

PaulOfHorsham
08-05-2012, 22:31
A few in Cask before the long weekend, and I finished off with a mighty Mikkeller Citra - chock-full of hops but delivered in a rather more rounded manner than some of the Hope's Extreme beers from the previous week.

Pubsignman
09-05-2012, 15:58
I only managed a paltry two pints last week - Thornbridge Wild Swan edges out Westerham Saison D'Etre for BOTW.

Quinno
09-05-2012, 17:46
Reading Beer Festival and lots of great beers. Highlights:

Zerodegrees Pale Ale, Ascot Vanilla Penguin Porter, Windsor & Eton Kohinoor plus four from Magic Rock, two Hardknott (new to me) and XT4, a beer that came from the wood and had that unmistakable flavour imparted into the liquid.

So hard to pick but I think XT4 from the wood shades it for being unusual. Otherwise it would have been Windsor & Eton Kohinoor.

Old Blue
10-05-2012, 10:35
Not a great selection for me last week:

Kirkstall Pale Ale (former BOTW, now a regular in the Old Bell in Fleet St as people liked it so much when it was a guest)
Caledonian Dutchman
Nethergate Three Mills Pale Ale
Otter
Sheps Bishops Finger

I'll go for the Otter as it went down so well in the Canbury Arms in Kingston on Sunday.

ROBCamra
12-05-2012, 12:55
Very late submission this week due to a few days of illness, so choice was a bit limited.

I think I'm going to go for Moorhouse's Pendle Porter as BOTW though.

I'm not a great fan of Moorhouse's, especially their lazy mixes pretending they're new beers.

But Pendle Porter really is a new beer.:cheers: