PDA

View Full Version : Great news for Kennington

trainman
23-04-2012, 11:39
I just received an email from a pal telling me that he walked past the (closed) Mansion House, near Kennington Tube, yesterday, and saw hoardings proclaiming its imminent conversion to an Oakham Ales outlet!
Google found this blog comment, which suggests Old Red Lion may be also worth a look:

http://boggleabout.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/oakaly-doakaly.html

Great news for an area mostly devoid of worthwhile real ale.

Bucking Fastard
25-04-2012, 16:19
That's very good news,should be a great success.I expect Mr Phat to make that his regular when in London;).I know somebody who works at the Elephant and Castle ,so will ask him to keep an eye out for when it's open.

PaulOfHorsham
25-04-2012, 18:45
Great news for an area mostly devoid of worthwhile real ale.

I can see that there's a night out in the offing....

trainman
26-04-2012, 11:59
I can see that there's a night out in the offing....

And only 2 Northern Line stops from Charing Cross, Harp, & the Strand possibilities we spoke of.
Or London Bridge, Borough & decent outlets around there.

PaulOfHorsham
23-05-2012, 21:33
Meanwhile, in Wandsworth...

Harvey & Son (Lewes) Ltd. are delighted to announce that we have purchased The Cat’s Back, in Wandsworth, SW London (more... (http://www.harveys.org.uk/forthcoming.php?news_id=137&section=)).

So, the Royal Oak can no longer claim to be "Harvey's only London" pub.....

trainman
02-03-2013, 21:14
Checked onsite today and, while noseying behind the hoarding, noticed an almost-ready bar.
Kindly invited in for a browse, & beer!! 10 pumps, 5 to be constant Oakhams, other 5 currently occasional Oakhams (incl Attila & Green Devil IPA)
Due to open Thurs (07Mar); great addition to the area - beer may seem steep at £3.85 for JHB, but ~£4.60 for Attila (7.5%), by comparison, doesn't seem as bad...
Pan Asian cuisine set up to one side, menu looks good.
Nothing traditional pub about it, but that range of handpulls will be very tempting.
And the Old Red Lion, next door, had decent offerings too.

Bucking Fastard
03-03-2013, 08:29
Checked onsite today and, while noseying behind the hoarding, noticed an almost-ready bar.
Kindly invited in for a browse, & beer!! 10 pumps, 5 to be constant Oakhams, other 5 currently occasional Oakhams (incl Attila & Green Devil IPA)
Due to open Thurs (07Mar); great addition to the area - beer may seem steep at £3.85 for JHB, but ~£4.60 for Attila (7.5%), by comparison, doesn't seem as bad...
Pan Asian cuisine set up to one side, menu looks good.
Nothing traditional pub about it, but that range of handpulls will be very tempting.
And the Old Red Lion, next door, had decent offerings too.

Thanks for the steer tm,I will put up with those prices in order to get the full Oakham experience.Great news for the area.

trainman
03-03-2013, 09:13
,I will put up with those prices in order to get the full Oakham experience.

I should mention that I only know the prices as they came up in discussion; those nice guys from Oakham comp'd the 3 of us a pint each. Duly voted highlight of the day by the casketeers.
Throughpull will sort it out, but the new pipes did leave a hint of plastic, which will hopefully be gone for the grand opening...

aleandhearty
04-03-2013, 12:21

Very interesting. My daughter's hall of residence is just two tube stops away, so I should be able to wangle a visit next time I'm down in the smoke.