PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 22nd April 2012)

ROBCamra
17-04-2012, 09:16
Old Blue: Kirkstall Pale Ale
Spinko: Kelham Island Pale Rider
Oggwyn Trench: Enville White
Thuck Phat: Titanic White Star
Real Ale Ray: Coastal Merry Maidens Mild
Bucking Fastard: Oakham Bishops Farewell
Brewguru: Arbor Yakima Valley
rpadam: Shepherd Neame Dragonfire
Quinno: Titanic Chocolate Stout
Wittenden: W J King Horsham Best Bitter
RogerB: Beartown Bearly Spring
aleandhearty: Rat Dirty Rat
Pubsignman: Dorking Black
Alesonly: Titanic 1912
ROBCamra: Marble Draft

Old Blue
21-04-2012, 16:36
I failed to post last week,so this covers both:

WJ King Spring Ale, Red River, Brighton Blonde and IPA
Kirkstall Pale Ale
Twickenham Spring Ale
Ascot Posh Pooch
Vale Artful Dodger
Thornbridge Frank as Apollo
Roosters True Grid

Coincidentally the Kirkstall Pale Ale wins both times, drunk in the Falcon near Clapham Junction last week and the Old Bell in Fleet St this week.

Spinko
22-04-2012, 11:03
A few this week. Thursday saw a post-gym crawl around Leeds, starting at Foley's with a Lovington - Top Dog. Moved onto the Duck and Drake where there were a couple of decent pales whose names I can't remember. Ended the crawl in PIN where Leeds Pale was on form.

Friday lunch was a couple of Ridgside - Desert Aire in the Grove, and then after work some Kirkstall Prototype 2 in the Cross Keys. A takeaway was ordered and while waiting I treated myself to a Sam Smiths Extra Stout in the Red Lion. I'm not usually a stout drinker but this is one that I like.

Saturday however holds the winner, with the ever excellent Kelham Island Pale Rider in the Stick or Twist JDW. In my opinion the best Wetherspoons in Leeds and with the huge venue being built right behind it I expect its takings will increase soon.

Oggwyn Trench
22-04-2012, 11:04
Much better week for me

Empire - Jamestown
Brown Cow - Sirius Pale
Imperial - White Dragon
Milestone - Green Man
Milestone - American Pale Ale
Enville - White
Sarah Hughes - Sedgley Suprise
Crouch Vale - Yakima Gold
Salopian - Shropshire Gold
Titanic - English Glory
Smart - Wild Thing

BOTW Enville White an old favorite

Thuck Phat
22-04-2012, 12:16
A lean week but both beers tried, Oakham Bishops Farewell and Titanic White Star, were excellent and both on at the local. Joy!

Hopefully a couple of days boating in the Nottingham area with Mr Fastard will yield a wider variety next week.

BOTW Titanic White Star, a Titanic ale for the second week in a row and they richly deserve the acknowledgment.

Real Ale Ray
22-04-2012, 15:09
Some excellent beers at Skipton Beer Festival, so a difficult choice this week.

Old Spot, Light But Dark
Cheddar Ales, Potholer
Dark Horse, Best Bitter
Coastal Brewery (Cornwall), Merry Maidens Mild

Have to say that the Coastal, Merry Maidens Mild was excellent, so wins it this week :notworthy:

Bucking Fastard
22-04-2012, 18:10
Very few beers this week up to Saturday but BOTW goes to Oakham Bishops Farewell in The Merchants ,Rugby .A very fine sharpener before a mates wedding,the less said about the receptions beers the better :sick:

Brewguru
22-04-2012, 19:47
Tuckers Maltings beer fest for me so:

Arbor - Mild West
Arbor - Black Eyed PA
Arbor - Yakima valley
Clearwater - Proper Ansome
Devilish - Devil Best
Jollyboat - Plunder
Quantock - Ginger Cockney
Summerskills - Bunker Hill
Tintagel - Cornwall's Pride
Yeovil - Lynx Wildcat
Yeovil - Stout Hearted
Yeovil - Posh IPA

OK I'll admit Arbor and Yeovil are old favourites and would normally win my vote in any week and so it is Arbor Yakima Valley for my BOTW.
Non Arbor / Yeovil honourable mentions go to Clearwater (a 4.2% brown malty bitter but damn good) and Jollyboat - again a good malty bitter.

rpadam
22-04-2012, 20:42
The seasonal Shepherd Neame Dragonfire is going down well in the village club at the moment...

Quinno
22-04-2012, 22:00
Some good ones this week. The Nags has had a shipload (geddit?!?) of Titanic beers, a number of which surfaced (geddit?!?) over the last seven days of which I have sunk (geddit?!?) a fair few.

I also had a rarity - an Arbor beer that I found enjoyable. The Breakfast Stout was a good nightcap ale.

Titanic's Plum Porter and Chocolate Stout were both excellent. Chocolate Stout shades it for this week's BOTW.

Wittenden
23-04-2012, 08:13
Another quiet week, though I did manage one pub visit, where I enjoyed W J King Horsham Best Bitter, a resinous,sweetish malt led best. Not very exciting.

RogerB
23-04-2012, 13:13
The spring beers are beginning to come in thick and fast, probably my favourite beer time and the Beartown Bearly Spring at my local Ivy Leaf was the best beer I had all week!

aleandhearty
23-04-2012, 15:32
Another quiet week for me, with a chest infection hindering the bibbing, somewhat. Tried:

Elgoods - Black Dog.
Rat - Dirty Rat.
Ossett - Silver King.
Ossett - Big Red.

A bit disappointed with the Black Dog, so it's between the SK and the Dirty Rat. I'll say the DR.

Pubsignman
23-04-2012, 15:44
I enjoyed a few decent beers this week, but by far the best was Dorking Black - as good a pint of mild as I've had in a long time.

Alesonly
23-04-2012, 20:13
I Had some good Ales this week but this was the best by far so its my Ale of the week.
Titanic 1912 - 4.8% ABV
Titanic Brewery, Staffordshire.

ROBCamra
27-04-2012, 11:53
It was Simons 40th birthday (the landlord) at the Baum on Saturday, so of course he arranged for several of his favourite beers to be on the bar.

Mallinsons Castle Hill, Stadium & Clodhopper and Marble Manchester Bitter & Draft along side several other guest ales.

Clodhopper and Manchester Bitter came on first and the Marble lasted 3 hours 35 minutes for a 9 (72 pints).

The Clodhopper lasted 4 hours.

The Draft replaced the Manchester and lasted 4 hours 5 minutes.

It must be great to have your birthday do in your own pub and rake in the takings. :p

He did put on a whole pig roast with all the trimmings though and a face painter & a balloon artist for the kids in the upstaire room.

BOTW will have to be Marble Draft, I drank quite a lot of it on Saturday night (and some of Sunday morning:))