PDA

View Full Version : Anyone for Carshalton ?

Bucking Fastard
10-04-2012, 11:59
Having missed last year's tour of Leytonstone :( and the recent PuG trip to Norwich :(:( I noticed from the Leytonstone thread there was a suggestion that Carshalton would be a good venue for a crawl ,with a few people expressing interest .

I am often down in that neck of the woods visiting ancient rellies,so have a guarenteed bed for the night as long as I can give a bit of advanced notice.Any night midweek would suit me,I could also make a late afternoon start once gardening and shopping commitments have been completed.

I have little knowledge of the Carshalton pub scene but always happy to strike out somewhere new,

Any other takers ?

Rex_Rattus
10-04-2012, 12:04
I might be up for that one, depending on dates of course. The Hope's the star of the show in my opinion, but there are several other worthy contenders.

Pubsignman
10-04-2012, 14:20
Sounds like a good idea to me. Carshalton is a good place for a crawl - ten pubs, all serving real ale in easy walking distance of each other.
As Rex says, the Hope is most certainly the star of the show, but the Sun and Racehorse also tend to have interesting guests, whilst Fuller's (Railway Tavern), Young's (Greyhound Hotel) and Sheps (Windsor Castle) are all represented.

The Hope hold regular beer festivals, which in my experience tend to be excellent - maybe it's worth trying to coincide our visit with one of them?

Bucking Fastard
10-04-2012, 15:04
The Hope hold regular beer festivals, which in my experience tend to be excellent - maybe it's worth trying to coincide our visit with one of them?

That sounds promising ,any idea when the next one is ?

an_ecumenical_matter
10-04-2012, 15:14
That sounds promising ,any idea when the next one is ?

http://hopecarshalton.co.uk/html/events_2012.html

I work at Chippenham these days so a jolly to the smoke is closer than before so I'd be up for it date permitting.

Bucking Fastard
10-04-2012, 17:07
http://hopecarshalton.co.uk/html/events_2012.html

I work at Chippenham these days so a jolly to the smoke is closer than before so I'd be up for it date permitting.

Thanks for the link .Kicking around a few dates ,I couldn't make the Extreme Beer Fest in April but I would be able to get down for The Mild for May fest on the Friday ,May 25th .

an_ecumenical_matter
10-04-2012, 21:34
Thanks for the link .Kicking around a few dates ,I couldn't make the Extreme Beer Fest in April but I would be able to get down for The Mild for May fest on the Friday ,May 25th .
That date has been crayoned in in the diary,the only snag is how many pints of mild can one drink before needing to phone the Samaritans................:whistle:

Bucking Fastard
11-04-2012, 09:51
how many pints of mild can one drink before needing to phone the Samaritans................:whistle:

I am sure our correspondents from the West Midland can advise ;)

I guess The Hope could be a good place to either start or end the tour of the area,so there will be other ale options besides MILD.

Does Friday 25th May suit any others ?

Rex_Rattus
11-04-2012, 11:54
25 May is OK for me. As things stand at present I can be there (The Hope) any time.

trainman
11-04-2012, 13:03
Not trying to dampen thread enthusiasm, but just suggesting maybe having a second location in mind to support the day's imbibements.
The Hope aside, Carshalton doesn't do much for me these days. On a b/h w-end the Windsor Castle, of old, may have had a 'fest, but less likely now it's draped in Sheps colours. The rest I could take or leave...

If on a travelcard, it's not far to, say, Croydon, where myself or Pubsignman could make suggestions if anyone needed to supplement Carshalton targets.

After consulting London Drinker online, WC does have a fest but 04-07May. "Carshalton Ale Trail" was 08-15Apr.
So many pubs have festivals on the same weekends, bank holidays, Easter, St George's: I wish they'd spread 'em out a bit.

an_ecumenical_matter
11-04-2012, 20:34
Trainman,I wish all McSpoons were combusted in a big bonfire-HOWEVER that one the George in Croydon is excellent.

RogerB
12-04-2012, 13:23
I'm happy to do Carshalton but not sure I could justify taking a day off to do somewhere that is relatively accessible to me. If enough people are looking to spill things over far enough into the evening (I can get there for around 5'ish) I would certainly be up for it.

Bucking Fastard
12-04-2012, 14:38
I'm happy to do Carshalton but not sure I could justify taking a day off to do somewhere that is relatively accessible to me. If enough people are looking to spill things over far enough into the evening (I can get there for around 5'ish) I would certainly be up for it.

I am in the same boat,I have got things to do during the day but looking to kick off at 5pm and then an evening tour around Carshalton before sloping off to Ewell.

Pubsignman
12-04-2012, 14:58
Count me in.

I'm also working on 25th May, so a 5pm start would be ideal for me too.

trainman
13-04-2012, 07:59
I've booked to Leicester on 26th so, regrettably, I'm gonna have to pass on a beano on my virtual doorstep.
I just can't start the Saturday after a session with you lot. Wimp? Yes!

Dave M
13-04-2012, 13:27
I may be able to make this one, but probably wont know for sure until a week or so before.

Bucking Fastard
15-04-2012, 09:58
Looks like we have a good group for the tour of Carshalton on May 25th.Can I suggest we assemble at The Hope then take in the other pubs once everyone has arrived and is ready to move on.I will be at The Hope at 5pm,

Looking forward to it.

RogerB
15-04-2012, 10:39
5 at the Hope is good for me!

Strongers
15-04-2012, 12:12
My sister-in-law is having her 30th birthday gathering that weekend. If it is on the Saturday rather than the Friday I’ll definitely be up for a crawl of Carshalton.

Edit: Her do is on Saturday so I'll be there at 17:00.

PaulOfHorsham
15-04-2012, 23:02
A Friday evening should suit, although I'm currently considering popping in to The Hope on Saturday 28th April for the 'Extreme' Beer fest they're doing (I seem to think, despite vast amounts of evidence, that my capacity is greater than it actually is).

Rex_Rattus
16-04-2012, 21:04
1700 hrs at The Hope on 25 May - done!

rpadam
21-04-2012, 22:08
Carshalton after work on 25 May 2012 sounds good to me...

Oops, it was, until I had to go to Birmingham that day instead...

Bucking Fastard
19-05-2012, 13:37
Thought I would bump this thread given that the meet up is next Friday,the 25th.

Reading back it appears that the following are signed up;

an ecumenical matter
Rex Rattus
RogerB
Pubsignman
DaveM (possible)
Strongers
Paul of Horsham (possible)
and my good self BF.

I will be at The Hope (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/35464/) at 5pm .Although I don't have a PuG T shirt,for those that don't know me I am usually the tallest person in the pub,glasses,not much hair.And gagging for a beer :)

If anyone not on the list would like to join us feel free.Once everyone has arrived we could plan our trip to other pubs nearby.

PaulOfHorsham
20-05-2012, 19:05
Make me a 'probable' - I'll on the 16:31 from Victoria; maybe even the 16:17. Now to find out how I get home from there......

RogerB
21-05-2012, 09:33
I am usually the tallest person in the pub,glasses,not much hair.And gagging for a beer :)

Are we twinned somewhere along the line?

RogerB
21-05-2012, 09:35
Make me a 'probable' - I'll on the 16:31 from Victoria; maybe even the 16:17. Now to find out how I get home from there......

I'm looking at the 16.31 if you want to join me.

an_ecumenical_matter
21-05-2012, 15:13

I'm a defo.
DaveM has some "feathering of nest" or the like to do so he's unsure. :love:

Can we have some template Pubs Galore "permission slips" put up on the site,he could fill one in and get it signed off.............. :whistle:

I'll drop gazebo a text but he seems to be on the wagon this weather !!!!!

I'll go via Farringdon,easier than Victoria coming from the west and also its gratis for me on FCC. See ye at the pub 1700. :)

PaulOfHorsham
21-05-2012, 22:44
The Hope website announces a 'Mild for May' Beer Fest on 24th - 26th. Maybe Soup Dragon will attend?

RogerB
24-05-2012, 12:22
The current list of beers at the Hope can be found here... http://www.yourround.co.uk/BeerBoard/Carshalton/The-Hope/SM5-2PR.aspx

I wonder if we'll get anywhere else!

Pubsignman
24-05-2012, 13:09
Tasting notes here:

http://hopecarshalton.co.uk/bfhalfmild.html

If it's anything like the 'Extreme Beers' festival they held last month, half will be sold out by the time we get there.

rpadam
24-05-2012, 22:04
Have a good evening tomorrow - I would have liked to have joined you but it was the only day I could fit in my 25p each way trip to Birmingham on Chiltern Railways...

Strongers
25-05-2012, 09:21
I may be running a little late this evening. Any chance someone who is going could PM me their number in case I miss the Hope meet up?

RogerB
25-05-2012, 09:57
I may be running a little late this evening. Any chance someone who is going could PM me their number in case I miss the Hope meet up?

Done! Should be fine conditions for a few beers! Have 10 pubs on the radar including 2 new ones although I suspect a couple may be shelved along the way!

Strongers
25-05-2012, 10:15
Done! Should be fine conditions for a few beers! Have 10 pubs on the radar including 2 new ones although I suspect a couple may be shelved along the way!

Cheers Roger… Looking forward to a decent session on what looks like being a fine evening.

Bucking Fastard
25-05-2012, 11:05
Roger beat me to it,but I have PMed you as well.

See you at some stage this evening.

Rex_Rattus
26-05-2012, 09:57
Good times principally at the Hope, but later at other nearby hostelries. Below is the team photo. Sorry Strongers - I forgot to take another one after you arrived.....

Clockwise, we have RexRattus; Paul of Horsham; An Ecumenical Matter; RogerB; Pubsignman; and Bucking Fastard.

Bucking Fastard
26-05-2012, 15:19
Thanks for posting the photo Rex.It was a very good evening ,great to see some old faces and to meet up with Strongers at long last.

The beer festival at The Hope was certainly a highlight but I was also amused by the antics of some of the locals in The Coach and Horses (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/35463/).Bemused by the sudden influx of PuG crawlers,and very curious as to what exactly we were up to,I tried to explain by handing out a host of PuG cards.Moments later one of these locals was trying to get a discount on his next pint by presenting said card to the barmaid.Good try.:D

Hope all the complex travel arrangements worked for everyone on their way home,there seemed to be a lot of cutting it extremely fine.However a warm evening for a bit of rough sleeping ;)

Looking forward to the next crawl,which seems to be heading for Croydon.

Strongers
26-05-2012, 22:28
I managed to get home somehow... thanks RR!

A very enjoyable evening except for the worst pint of Abbot I've had.

PaulOfHorsham
27-05-2012, 10:59
I managed to get home somehow...

Glad to hear it - last seen looking a little bewildered at East Croydon :sick: as I legged it for a train.