PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 8th April 2012)

ROBCamra
04-04-2012, 10:54
gillhalfpint: Old Dairy Inmanz 57
Oggwyn Trench: College Green Mollys Chocolate Stout
oldboots: Sarah Hughes Ruby Mild
Bucking Fastard: Oakham Inferno
Quinno: Windsor & Eton Irish Treetops
Thuck Phat: Byatt's Pheonix Gold
Spinko: Bradfield Farmers Blonde
Old Blue: Milestone Loxley Ale
aleandhearty: Great Heck Brave New World
Pubsignman: Twickenham Black Eel
Alesonly: RCH East Street Cream
Real Ale Ray: Tom Woods Lincoln Gold
ROBCamra: North Riding Brewpub Nielson Sauvin

gillhalfpint
07-04-2012, 22:29
Old Dairy Inmanz 57 a special strong mild at 5.7% at Egham USC fest wins it for me, with Canterbury Brewers Wee Heavy 7.9% a close second.

Had a fantastic 3 days at this superb fest and it is great for the beers and the company we meet up with from up and down country. Caravan already booked into a site for their August festival 16 - 19th.

Oggwyn Trench
08-04-2012, 10:55
Better week this week with a mini crawl of the unfriendly dump that is Dawley :eek: quite happy half the pubs were shut , scary place

Youngs - Bitter
College Green - Mollys Chocolate Stout
Hobsons - Mild
Caledonian - Coffe Porter
Allgate - Simcoe
Kelham Island - Highway to Hell

BOTW College Green - Mollys Chocolate Stout , very moreish

oldboots
08-04-2012, 19:27
Another superb week for beer, I thought Stella* was going to be BOTW even up against competition from Moorhouses APA, Ridgeside Desert Aire, Golcar Dark Mild, Blue Monkey Sanctuary and Roosters Fort Smith but an Easter visit from Sarah Hughes in a local pub means it must be :notworthy: Sarah Hughes Ruby MILD :notworthy:

*obviously that's the one brewed by Mallinsons :D

Bucking Fastard
08-04-2012, 22:27
l

Like Oggy I had a very good pint of this, in the Sir Robert Peel in Tamworth but it was just pipped to BOTW by Oakham Inferno in the same location.

Quinno
08-04-2012, 23:05
Old Dairy Inmanz 57 a special strong mild at 5.7% at Egham USC fest wins it for me, with Canterbury Brewers Wee Heavy 7.9% a close second.

Had a fantastic 3 days at this superb fest and it is great for the beers and the company we meet up with from up and down country. Caravan already booked into a site for their August festival 16 - 19th.

Having seen Gill slosh back a number of 6%+ ales in quick succession I felt rather humbled :)

Anyways, my two BOTW contenders are from the Egham USC fest too. Kent Egham Session (light hoppy session beer) and Windsor & Eton Irish Treetops (a dark beer with a bottle of Irish whiskey thrown in the mix).

The Irish Treetops just shades it.

gillhalfpint
08-04-2012, 23:27
The Irish Treetops was a very good 5.2% and that was another that went down well for us too. It was 4.4% on the menu, but pumpclip was 5.2%.

Thuck Phat
09-04-2012, 10:39
A more varied week this week:
Oakham Inferno and Bishops Farewell
Byatt's Pheonix Gold and Regal Blonde
Bass
Cottage Norman Conquest MM
College Green Headless Dog
TT Landlord

Both the Oakham ales were, as ever, excellent but a couple of beers from the relatively new Byatt's Brewery in Coventry were something of a revelation so BOTW goes to Byatt's Pheonix Gold. An easy drinking, light but flavoursome golden ale at 4.2%.

Spinko
09-04-2012, 13:24
Elland - Beyond the Pale
Leeds - Pale
York - Guzzler
Bradfield - Farmers Blonde
Maxim - Swedish Blonde
Brewdog - 5A.M. Saint, Punk IPA
There were also a couple of passable lagers, Cobra - King Cobra, Zwyiec, and Tyskie.

I think the Farmers Blonde wins, which was sampled in the Kings' Head on Huddersfield station. Great butties in there as well, I had a pork and stuffing barmcake and my fellow rugby fan had his with cheese and onion. Butties like that take only a few seconds to put together and must have a decent margin on them - more pubs should do it.

Old Blue
09-04-2012, 21:04
Everards Tiger
Triple fff Pressed Rat and Warthog
Milestone Loxley
Dark Star Festival
TT Golden Best
Wadworth St George and the Dragon
Directors
Tetley Blooming Ale
Gales Spring Sprinter

Milestone Loxley drunk in the Falcon at Clapham gets my vote this week, followed closely by St George & the Dragon drunk in the Jolly Coopers in Hampton. Though in truth nothing I had this week struck me as exceptional, and I don't think my taste buds have been firing on all cylinders.

aleandhearty
10-04-2012, 13:02
A decent week for me, with an unusually high percentage (50%) of dark beers tried. This weeks contenders:

Acorn - Old Moor Porter.
Acorn - Gorlovka Stout.
Ufford - Black Hart.
Elland - How's That.
Great Heck - Brave New World.
Great Heck - Stormin' Norman.
Boggart - Dark Mild.
Boggart - Nibb.
Ufford - Rupert's War Dog.
Fernandes - Any Porter in a Storm.

The two Acorns are always going to be up there, but I loved the fresh-as-a-daisy Brave New World, bursting with Galaxy hops. Excellent.

aleandhearty
10-04-2012, 13:07
I thought Stella* was going to be BOTW

Just for a second 'ob', I thought you'd had some catastrophic nervous breakdown! :)

Pubsignman
10-04-2012, 13:46

This was looking like being my BOTW as well, but it was pipped at the last by Twickenham Black Eel at the Green Dragon's current festival. (The festival runs until tomorrow and there is a 'buy 5 festival ales, get the sixth free' deal, if anyone in the vicinity is considering going).

Real Ale Ray
11-04-2012, 20:36
Mrs Ale and myself went on a juant down to Lincoln and found a local ale from Tom Woods Lincoln Gold 4%. Also went to the Hand and Heart Festival of Ale Nottingham and sank a few Belvoir Brewery Dark Horse Mild 3.4%. Also in Notts visited the Fox and Crown in Basford and enjoyed the Alcazar ales from their micro and downed a few Alcazar New Dawn 4.5%. All three were awfully fantastic, I'd have any of them right now!

Quinno
12-04-2012, 00:22
Mrs Ale and myself went on a juant down to Lincoln and found a local ale from Tom Woods Lincoln Gold 4%. Also went to the Hand and Heart Festival of Ale Nottingham and sank a few Belvoir Brewery Dark Horse Mild 3.4%. Also in Notts visited the Fox and Crown in Basford and enjoyed the Alcazar ales from their micro and downed a few Alcazar New Dawn 4.5%. All three were awefully fantastic, I'd have any of them right now!

Methinks you've missed the point of this thread :D

Alesonly
12-04-2012, 20:55
One well Oiled week last week so it was a hard decision but I went for the.

RCH EAST STREET CREAM 5.0% RCH Brewery Somerset another nice dark Ale.

Real Ale Ray
12-04-2012, 22:04
Beer of the wk Tom Woods Lincoln Gold 4%

ROBCamra
15-04-2012, 10:14
We went up to Scarborough on Sunday for a couple of days and stayed with Stuart & Karen Nielson at the North Riding Hotel (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/55441/)

The first beer I had on the Sunday afternoon was Stuarts own Nielson Sauvin which was excellent.

So my BOTW is going to be North Riding Brewpub Nielson Sauvin. :cheers:

RogerB
23-04-2012, 13:12
Tardy response but By The Horns Lambeth Walk at the Southampton Arms, Gospel Oak was the one that stood out for me.