PDA

View Full Version : Camra Local Pub Of The Year Winners- 2012

hondo
02-04-2012, 10:58
"CAMRA has released in full the winners of its local pubs of the year to showcase the diversity and innovation of Britain’s locals at the start of its new campaign - Community Pubs Month - to drive footfall into pubs and spread awareness of the nation’s historic pub industry."

http://www.camra.org.uk/branchpoty
quite a list think I've only been in two

gillhalfpint
02-04-2012, 12:34
Quite suprised to find we have been in 41 of them.

ETA
02-04-2012, 12:40
Six.

I should get out more.

Wittenden
02-04-2012, 13:03
One, and that was yesterday!

Quinno
02-04-2012, 13:10
31, I think! :D

aleandhearty
02-04-2012, 13:14
Quite suprised to find we have been in 41 of them.

31, I think! :D

:notworthy: Well done, Gill & Quinno. Just five for me, unfortunately.

Quinno
02-04-2012, 13:43
:notworthy: Well done, Gill & Quinno. Just five for me, unfortunately.

I am young(ish) and child-free. Gill is retired and has a caravan.

Opposite ends of the spectrum, same outcomes :drinkup: :D

NickDavies
02-04-2012, 13:48
The Harp (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/53779/) is possible the oddest choice in this list. It is a lot of things, but not in anyone's imagination a community local. Another of those cases where a large ale range overrides all other considerations in the eyes of the local CAMRA branch.

aleandhearty
02-04-2012, 13:48
Opposite ends of the spectrum, same outcomes :drinkup: :D

:D Absolutely!

Quinno
02-04-2012, 13:51
The Harp (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/53779/) is possible the oddest choice in this list. It is a lot of things, but not in anyone's imagination a community local. Another of those cases where a large ale range overrides all other considerations in the eyes of the local CAMRA branch.

It means local as in 'local to within their branch' eg the branch pub of the year; not whether the pub is full of locals!

Al 10000
02-04-2012, 15:55
I have done 40 on that list.

Oggwyn Trench
02-04-2012, 16:26
I reckon about fifteen but some not for a very long time

AlanH
02-04-2012, 17:13
Only 7 for me that I can remember. Even missed the ones in my present and previous branch areas.

PaulOfHorsham
02-04-2012, 18:52
Definitely 8, possibly 9 (mists of time and all that). PuG pub crawls scored me pubs in Birmingham & Liverpool, but not Norwich.

Pubsignman
02-04-2012, 19:51
I've been to 18 of them, all of which are pubs I would happily return to. Seems like a good list to me - more ideas to add to the 'to do' column.

NickDavies
02-04-2012, 21:18
It means local as in 'local to within their branch' eg the branch pub of the year; not whether the pub is full of locals!

Well I've obviously missed the point of the community pubs campaign then. I thought it was about supporting struggling local pubs in areas where people live, not goldmine city centre pubs in tourist areas miles from where most people can afford to live.

Real Ale Ray
02-04-2012, 21:50
I've counted 12 and looking forward to doing a few more...:cheers:

sheffield hatter
02-04-2012, 23:07
I thought it was about supporting struggling local pubs in areas where people live, not goldmine city centre pubs in tourist areas miles from where most people can afford to live.

I agree that there is some conflict here between what are considered to be the best pubs for ale drinkers, and the laudable objective of preserving and enhancing the (local) pub's role in (local) communities. I think the confusion is understandable, given the use of the word "local" in two different senses in the heading to the list:

"CAMRA has released in full the winners of its local pubs of the year to showcase the diversity and innovation of Britain’s locals at the start of its new campaign - Community Pubs Month."

Perhaps this is something that we are also slightly confused about as reviewers on Pubs Galore. We (and I'm guilty of this myself) go to some absolute gems of pubs up and down the country, saying why (or in some instances why not) others should visit them, but as casual visitors we have no idea what they are like for those who live there and visit them on a regular basis. We very seldom, if ever, see reviews from (perhaps "one drop") reviewers, saying "this is my local - it's great". (When we do, we tend to dismiss them as being put up to it by the publican.:))

PS I've been to 17 of them!

Spinko
03-04-2012, 06:03
Just 7 for definite, but probably an extra 3 or 4 from before the time I started making a mental note of these things!

ETA
03-04-2012, 06:12
Perhaps this is something that we are also slightly confused about as reviewers on Pubs Galore. We (and I'm guilty of this myself) go to some absolute gems of pubs up and down the country, saying why (or in some instances why not) others should visit them, but as casual visitors we have no idea what they are like for those who live there and visit them on a regular basis. We very seldom, if ever, see reviews from (perhaps "one drop") reviewers, saying "this is my local - it's great". (When we do, we tend to dismiss them as being put up to it by the publican.:))

Completely agree, and I'm very conscious sometimes of visiting a pub which I think is truly awful, has no ale and entirely exclusive - but then I realise it's the only pub in walking distance for some people, and it is, after all their local. I try to reflect this in the reviews - if I write that it should be left to the locals I am implying simply that - there is little for the casual visitor to enjoy, and they would probably not receive a warm welcome.

You do find the odd gem though, and I also try to reflect this. You get some nice surprises such as The Concorde in Rainham and the East Cliff Tavern in Folkestone, very much local pubs but worth going off the beaten track to find for their beer quality alone. Not just GBG pubs - The Joiners Arms and Kings Head in Stafford, for example, both of which appeared to be on CAMRA's naughty list but actually (when I last visited) provide some of the best beer in town, even if they are quite insular.

trainman
03-04-2012, 06:35
33 for sure, and 4 or 5 'maybe's(!)

Agree with psm that there may be a few here to research for the random mission list...

RogerB
03-04-2012, 09:18
22 for me!

ROBCamra
03-04-2012, 11:08
19 for me including my local The Baum. I took the pictures during the presentation.

Quinno's local the Nags Head is also on there.

Anyone else's local? :cheers:

Maldenman
03-04-2012, 11:30

Anyone else's local?

Sadly no, another year of disappointment for The Earl Beatty (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/36017/) :whistle:

15 for me including some from some time back.

gillhalfpint
03-04-2012, 14:18
Tempting to say my local is wherever we park up, but in terms of our pub when at home, The Wellington in Birmingham has to be called my local.

Oggwyn Trench
03-04-2012, 17:29
None of them are my local although i used to drink in the Fighting Cocks in Stottesden regulary when the much missed Fox and Hounds across the road was still open

Spinko
03-04-2012, 18:41
19 for me including my local The Baum. I took the pictures during the presentation.

Anyone else's local? :cheers:

Considering the Leeds centre one is actually 15 miles away in Otley, no.. I think the Bradford and Wakefield ones are actually closer to the Leeds branch. Bizarre.

Quinno
03-04-2012, 19:47
Considering the Leeds centre one is actually 15 miles away in Otley, no.. I think the Bradford and Wakefield ones are actually closer to the Leeds branch. Bizarre.

Ah, there's nothing like scratching your head over CAMRA branch boundaries. Some of them look to have been drawn by Stevie Wonder.

Old Blue
04-04-2012, 07:36
Very nice to see one of my locals, the Lamb in Surbiton, on the list.

I can only recall having been in about 6 or 7 of the others though. Must get out and about more!

Quinno
04-04-2012, 15:05

http://www.getreading.co.uk/lifestyle/food_and_drink/s/2111345_nags_head_in_frame_for_camra_award

Bucking Fastard
05-04-2012, 08:45
That's a very good list and has given me a good steer towards a pub to visit when in Lincoln next month. In terms of my local(s) ,I am often in The Old Cross Tavern,Hertford which has made the list although The George ,Croydon hasn't featured this time.

I have clocked up 18 on my travels,and will be working hard to add to that total.

Bucking Fastard
05-04-2012, 08:46
That's a very good list and has given me a good steer towards a pub to visit when in Lincoln next month. In terms of my local(s) ,I am often in The Old Cross Tavern,Hertford which has made the list although The George ,Croydon hasn't featured this time.

I have clocked up 18 on my travels,and will be working hard to add to that total.

Bucking Fastard
05-04-2012, 08:46
Oops

RogerB
05-04-2012, 09:18
The closest one to me is the Robin Hood & Little John in Bexleyheath which is very overrated despite it winning the title 11 years in the last 12 (and the only reason it didn't win 2 years ago was because they introduced a new rule whereby the same pub can't win 2 years running!). It's a decent enough pub but not enough variety or rotation in the beers for me.

Millay
06-04-2012, 08:22
Just 14 for me, and I still haven't managed the local Watford & District one. The reason being that it's nowhere near Watford and you can only get there on a bus that doesn't run at weekends. I wonder if it's running today, as soon as I get rid of ths hangover I might think about a trip.

oldboots
06-04-2012, 08:40
Just 14 for me, and I still haven't managed the local Watford & District one. The reason being that it's nowhere near Watford and you can only get there on a bus that doesn't run at weekends. I wonder if it's running today, as soon as I get rid of ths hangover I might think about a trip.

Due to Good Friday it'll be a Sunday service today most likely, the pubs are supposed to shut at 10:30pm but I think afternoon opening stays.

Millay
08-04-2012, 07:11
Due to Good Friday it'll be a Sunday service today most likely, the pubs are supposed to shut at 10:30pm but I think afternoon opening stays.

You were right, it was a Sunday service. I ended up going to St Albans where three of the pubs have festivals on. The Mermaid also has a cider festival with around 25 ciders and I got stuck into the Moonshine and Old Bristolian from Broadoak.

Didn't make it to 10:30 so have no idea if they closed early or not :nishelypished: