PDA

View Full Version : Dronfield area + 1 in Sheffield pub crawl 24/3/2012

Al 10000
27-03-2012, 17:05
This pub crawl was done useing a Derbyshire Wayfarer ticket so it had to be a train from Derby which does'nt stop at Dronfield,i arrived in Sheffield at about 10 to 10 and there was a crowd of people waiting for the Sheffield Tap to open,i decided to walk up the hill to see if Henrys was open it was'nt so back down the hill and my first pub of the day was the Sheffield Tap a great choice of beers and i went for Peak Ales Bakewell best this went down very well at 10.20 in the morning but i had to take my time has there were lots of pubs to do later in the day.

11.05 to Dronfield off train at 11.20 walked down to the Three Tuns and all pubs were not open so bak up road and up hill into the small town centre Green dragon closed but the Manor House was open time now 11.40 no real ales on here but glad to have a drink keg Theakston best not that good.

It was then a short walk to the the Blue Stoops which opened at 12.00 this is a really nice pub but sadly no real ales on the bar i tried a drink of John Smiths smooth crap which it was.

I then went to the civic centre to catch a bus to Holmesfield this village is quite high up so i thought bus it there then walk back downhill this plan served me well,bus turned up at 12.25 5 minutes late i was in Holmesfield by 12.35 and luckily had passed or seen all of Dronfield Woodhouses pubs.

My first port of call in Holmesfield was the Angel a two roomed pub that is food lead but the bar was decent enough i had a drink of Peak Ales Bakewell best which was a decent drink.
The George and Dragon which was close by was'nt open so i took the short walk downhill to the Horns Inn this is a really nice pub and i had a drink of Spire Dark Side of the Moon which went down well.

Back up the hill to the George and Dragon which opened at 1.00 i quite liked this pub and there was a decent choice of beers on the bar i had a drink of Oakwell barnsley bitter which was a very nice drink.

It was then a couple of minutes walk downhill to the Rutland Arms another really nice pub wit a good choice of beers i had a drink of Castle Rock Harvest Pale which was a very nice drink.
I was well pleased with Holmesfield

After Holmesfield it was another walk downhill to Dronfield Woodhouse and the Hearty Oak this only took about 7 minutes,the Hearty Oak is a very large food lead pub but with three real ales on and a camra discount,i had a drink of Ashover Rainbows End which was a decent drink.

Another short walk took me to the Miners Arms it was quite smart in here i had a drink of Kelham Easy Rider and this was very nice.

I caried on walking along the same road for about 5 minutes and along came the Talbot a large estate type pub with three real ales on but two were off leaving me Black Sheep bitter which was ok.

Another 5 minute walk and i was outside the Jolly Farmer a large and decent looking estate pub with 6 real ales on the bar i had a drink of Camerons Strongarm which was a very nice drink.

That was all the Dronfield Woodhouse pubs done so i decided to walk to the Hyde park Inn has this pub is quite high up,this walk took just over 15 minutes.

The Hyde park Inn is a decent pub and there were 3 real ales on the bar i had a drink of Black Sheep bitter and this was a decent drink.

It was then a long walk downhill to the Three Tuns this pub is run by Spire Brewery and there were 14 pumps on the bar i had a drink of Spire Whiter Shade of pale and this was a very nice drink.

The pub crawl was now along the chesterfield road the first port of call was the White Swan this is a two roomed pub and the 2 real ales are in the lounge,i had a drink of Adnams bitter which was ok.

It was a short walk to the next pub which was the Dronfield Arms this pub has been done up,ther are no pumps on the first bar you see they are up the steps and round the corner,there were 5 real ales on and i had a drink of Bradfield Farmers blonde which was a very nice drink.

I then decided to walk past 2 pubs to get to the Coach and Horses this was about a 10 minute walk.
The Coach and Horses is a Thornbridge run house and there were 5 real ales on the bar i had a drink of Thornbridge Lord Marples and this was a very nice drink,i also quite liked this pub.

Time was now running short and there was still 4 pubs to do i whet in the Bridge Inn and this was by far the wortst pub of the day no real ales on.i had a drink of keg Stones bitter.

I then walked up the hill into the town and went in the Green Dragon which i had took a photo of earlier in the day.
The Green dragon is a nice looking pub that had an olde worlde feel to it,there were two real ales on here and i had a drink of Black Sheep bitter which was a decent drink.

I now only had time for one more pub so i took the short walk up hillto the Victoria this is a proper pub and there were 2 real ales on here i had a drink of Bradfield farmers Blonde and this was a very nice drink.

I then went back to the station and caught the 18.15 to Chesterfield.

This was a great day out i went in 19 pubs and 16 had real ale on,i only missed 1 pub the Rock i had run out of time.

hondo
28-03-2012, 07:33
:notworthy: