PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 1st April 2012)

ROBCamra
27-03-2012, 12:03
Alesonly: Titanic Nine Tenths Below
Wittenden: Goachers Gold Star
Bucking Fastard: Acorn Old Moor Porter
Oggwyn Trench: Salopian Shropshire Gold
Thuck Phat: Oakham Bishops Farewell
oldboots: Adnams Southwold Mild
Quinno: Vasileostrovsky Imperial Russian Stout
Millay: Vasileostrovsky Imperial Russian Stout
aleandhearty: Moorhouses APA
ROBCamra: Ole Slewfoot Citraville APA
Al 10000: Mr Grundys Golden Dawn
Pubsignman: East London Nightwatchman
Spinko: Conwy Lemon Ale

Alesonly
30-03-2012, 02:38
Again another lean week on the Ale front due to working not much ale this week only one day out that was Monday at the Spoons nothing now till Next Tuesday so Ale of the week will be a choice between the best three Below.

Springhead Willys wheat Beer
Titanic Nine Tenths Below
Logans Run.
I will go for the Titanic Nine Tenths Below As Ale of the week Closely followed by Springhead Willlys.

ROBCamra
30-03-2012, 09:25
Had a couple in The Baum last night to clear my palate after visiting my keg only bowling club to pay my subs for the year.

Kelham Island 45 rpm was excellent as always and Old Slewfoot Citraville APA was outstanding.

It's going to be hard to beat the Citraville this week, but I'll give it a try. ;):cheers:

Wittenden
01-04-2012, 15:40
Goachers weekend:
Special House Ale at the Dering Arms: a nostalgic, earthy English bitter. Spinko wouldn't approve, but I rather liked it.
Fine Light Ale at the Halfway House:again, a bit earthier than I remember,but a good light brown to gold session beer.
Gold Star, at the Halfway House: a new one for me, an excellent strong gold premium bitter:stone fruit,biscuit malt,undying embrace of Kent Goldings.My BOTW

Bucking Fastard
01-04-2012, 16:14
I seem to be spending rather more time in the 'spoons empire than is healthy,but The George,Croydon has been at the top of it's game on the ale front.In any other week Kelham Island Wild Rider IPA would have got the nomination,only to be outgunned by Acorn Old Moor Porter a fine example of the style with just enough bitterness to tempt you into a session.Fantastic.

Oggwyn Trench
01-04-2012, 18:35
Poor week for me :( , only one contender so BOTW Salopian Shropshire Gold

Thuck Phat
01-04-2012, 19:31
Sadly in the same boat as Mr Trench with just the outstanding Oakham Bishops Farewell as sole contender but worthy BOTW.

oldboots
01-04-2012, 21:56
A great week for beer for a change

York Guzzler
Marstons EPA
Brakspears Oxford Gold
Titanic 1912
Martins Pale Ale
Hook Norton Old Hooky
Brains Bread of Heaven
Zululand Zulu Blonde
Wolf Whistle
Hadrian & Border Tyneside Blonde
Fox Fox Arctic
Roosters Yankee
Wentworth WPA
Acorn Gorlovka
Ilkley Mary Jane
Copper Dragon Spring Gold
Springhead Willy's Wheatbeer
Wharfebank Slingers Gold
Taylors Landord
Adnams Southwold Mild
Naylors Yard Ale
Thwaites Wainwright
Elgoods Snake Slayer
Idle Idle Sod
Magic Rock Curious
Whim Cluster Bomb
Kirkstall Dissolution IPA
Magic Rock Dark Arts
Saltaire Cream Stout
Vasileostrovsky Imperial Russian Stout

Some great beers but the Adnams Southwold MILD was outstanding, with H&B TYneside Blonde a very close second.

Quinno
01-04-2012, 22:00
Not been a great week beer-wise at the Nags, too many mediocrities from cack-handed micros. Of course from these some gems will eventually emerge (I hope!)

However my cheerio session at Wenlock Arms (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/23683/) with Roger on Thursday turned up a very drinkable trio of St Peters Mild, Crouch Vale Brewers Gold and Acorn Old Moor Porter. The Brewers Gold was fab. Also the ever-reliable Old Fountain (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/23350/) had a Magic Rock beer that was very good (red?). Though it couldn't compete with their pork bap taste-wise. :D

However this week's win is for Vasileostrovsky Imperial Russian Stout , sampled at The Monks Retreat (JD Wetherspoon) (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/56814/) which was surprisingly drinkable and wins simply because I doubt I'll see it again!

Millay
01-04-2012, 23:21
I'm going for the Vasileostrovsky Imperial Russian Stout as well. It was one of the few memorable beers in a rather poor JDW festival.

aleandhearty
02-04-2012, 14:28
Another decent week for choice, but more misses than hits, unfortunately. Tried this week:

Moorhouses - APA.
Lancaster - Pearl.
Arundel - New Horizons.
Cairngorm - Red Mountain.
Ridgeside - Jailbreak.
Roosters - Flame Out.
Pennine - Spring Barley.
Saltaire - Rye Pale Ale.
Brew Co - Cedar Luke Amber.
Fernandes - American Pale.
Wentworth - Rock Spalt.
Rudgate - Ruby MILD.
Fernandes - Malt Shovel Mild.

With honorable mentions for the Cedar Luke and American Pale, I thought the APA was outstanding.

aleandhearty
02-04-2012, 14:35
A great week for beer for a change

That's some list 'ob'! A very good week.

...had a Magic Rock beer that was very good (red?).

That would be 'Rapture'. I rather like it too.

Al 10000
02-04-2012, 16:59
My beer of the week goes to Mr Grundys Golden Dawn tried in Mr Grundys.

Pubsignman
02-04-2012, 21:10
I managed to find the elusive Greene King XX Mild this week - a decent enough pint of mild although something of an anticlimax after waiting so long to find it.
BOTW looked like being the Hawkshead offering from the 'Spoons festival until I stumbled across the 'London Breweries Festival' at the Hope in Carshalton on Saturday. It was good to try beers from some London breweries that were still new to me - London Fields Love Not War was a fine golden ale but BOTW goes to East London Nightwatchman - a fairly complex copper coloured bitter that slipped down a treat.

Spinko
03-04-2012, 07:17
Conwy - Lemon Ale was pretty tasty in the Stick Or Twist JDW in Leeds.

Mention also goes to Kirkstall - Prototype (Number 1?) which was on in the Cross Keys. A pale and drinkable lunchtime pint at 3.7%.

ROBCamra
05-04-2012, 19:10
Had a couple in The Baum last night to clear my palate after visiting my keg only bowling club to pay my subs for the year.

Kelham Island 45 rpm was excellent as always and Old Slewfoot Citraville APA was outstanding.

It's going to be hard to beat the Citraville this week, but I'll give it a try. ;):cheers:

Nope! Citraville it is although Liverpool One's Liverpool Light tried hard. Tested in the Liverpool 1 Bridewell on Sunday. :cheers:

RogerB
23-04-2012, 13:16
Playing a bit of catch up here - good job I star the decent beers on my list! Winner for this week was Banks Sunbeam at Dartford's Ivy Leaf.