PDA

View Full Version : Residents in protest against new JDW opening

hopwas
11-02-2010, 12:15
http://icseftonandwestlancs.icnetwork.co.uk/iccrosby/news/tm_headline=we-8217-d-be-good-for-crosby-say-wetherspoons&method=full&objectid=25809303&siteid=60252-name_page.html

I know JDW promotes cheap alcohol but I never known any troubles at my local JDWs (Apart from odd drunks shouting or odd square ups) There is high ratio of OAPS to young drinkers nationwide in JDWs.

Just like The Hornet which I visited last Tuesday, I was most certainly the youngest in the room and I am 31! Most drinkers are well over 50. It is only Fri and Sat where young drinkers take over JDW's. I avoid Fri & Sat nite and I go to my local instead.

Tilly-Miss
11-02-2010, 12:46
It seems everyone is against people drinking,you only have to watch the new drink campaign being rammed down our throats on tv, if boozing was that bad and causing so many ailments to people why is it allowed in the first place,this government wants each and everyone of us to become prisoners and unsociable people in our own home,feed us lousy cheap tv programmes,make stars and celebrities out of the useless lot that appear daily in the press,is it any wonder the country is going to the dogs.

hondo
11-02-2010, 13:06
“Their plans are of high quality, but it would be bar 38 in the area and we already think 37 is too much."

if they want less pubs then spoons may well get rid off the weaker ones

arwkrite
11-02-2010, 13:22
I think there is opposition to a JDWs project in Leominster. I remember them buying the closed Post Office building in The Square. The local Conservative Club would have been a couple of doors down so I think there may have been some bristling moustaches.. A Spoons in Leominster would certainly affect some struggling pubs in town.

Oggwyn Trench
11-02-2010, 20:28
JDW have been trying to open up in Newport , Shropshire for years , the council are opposed to it as there are already 11 pubs on the main street (or just off) in a smallish town .
Strangely there is only 1 in Telford which is pretty big these days (pop about 120000) , Wellington could do with 1 to raise the standard of the dire pubs and kill off the really bad ones

hopwas
11-02-2010, 20:43
JDW have been trying to open up in Newport , Shropshire for years , the council are opposed to it as there are already 11 pubs on the main street (or just off) in a smallish town .
Strangely there is only 1 in Telford which is pretty big these days (pop about 120000) , Wellington could do with 1 to raise the standard of the dire pubs and kill off the really bad ones

120,000?! :eek::eek: surley thats total population for WHOLE Telford including surrounding areas. Not Telford City itself?

Anyway.. seriously there is 11 pubs on Main St in Newport alone? I know Newport is small town but 11 pubs... :confused:

Lichfield, Staffs has population of only around 27,000 but already got 2 JDWs plus 4 superb real ale houses and all are walkable each other..

In my hometown, We got 2 JDWs including one recently opened.. only problem is both JDWs are few mins walk each other!

arwkrite
11-02-2010, 21:03
http://www.telford.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/0A0A557C-C5C4-4884-9338-9274BBDA5A52/26868/KeyFactsExtendedOctober2008.pdf

Take a quick look Hoppy I think they are going at it hammer and tongs in the Telford area

hopwas
11-02-2010, 21:15
http://www.telford.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/0A0A557C-C5C4-4884-9338-9274BBDA5A52/26868/KeyFactsExtendedOctober2008.pdf

Take a quick look Hoppy I think they are going at it hammer and tongs in the Telford area

Thanks for the link, Sir..

Wow.. I find it quite incredible since Telford was very small town around 40 years ago.. and now already outstripping my hometown!

I think they do deserve another JDW.. one JDW is simply not enough for the size of Telford.

HTM69
11-02-2010, 22:31
I have said before - here and elsewhere - that having one JD Wetherspoon covering the whole Medway area - Golden Lion, Rochester - is pretty abysmal, given the rising population of the towns. The High Streets of Gillingham and Chatham have naff all – and that’s the truth, sadly. OK, we have a few decent tucked-away backstreet pubs, - well, Gillingham does. Chatham? Not so sure about that - but we need some more real ale outlets desperately and Tim Martin and Co could really do great business down this way.

hopwas
11-02-2010, 22:41
I have said before - here and elsewhere - that having one JD Wetherspoon covering the whole Medway area - Golden Lion, Rochester - is pretty abysmal, given the rising population of the towns. The High Streets of Gillingham and Chatham have naff all – and that’s the truth, sadly. OK, we have a few decent tucked-away backstreet pubs, - well, Gillingham does. Chatham? Not so sure about that - but we need some more real ale outlets desperately and Tim Martin and Co could really do great business down this way.

Oh dear.. I just had look in Wikipedia... 253,500 for one JDW! Thats pretty incredible!

Why not you write in JDW's mag and you never know Tim Martin might reply...

Hoppy

ROBCamra
12-02-2010, 09:19

Change the Beacon in Wellington into a JDW should do the trick. It's already the right sort of shape etc.

ROBCamra
12-02-2010, 09:23

They do go at it hammer and tongs in Telford there's nothing else to do.

Frankie Boyle said that the opening ceremony of the Olympics always reminds him of Glasgow.

Everybody is wearing a tracksuit and there's lots of explosions. It reminds me of Telford.

AND the JDW is only a small one.

oldboots
12-02-2010, 10:32
Although not my first choice of drinking places I still wish they'd open one in my town, we have one excellent pub, two good ones and a choice of poor John Smiths/Theakstons in most of the rest, three pubs are keg only. Rumours persist that JDW will take over an old furniture shop here but there's no sign of it happening. My nearest JDW is 12 miles and a £6, half hour bus ride away. The next one is 15 miles and an infrequent 45 min bus ride away; where it's the second best pub in town although there's not much competition. However the other piss poor pubs are still trading so its not always true that pubs, however bad, will shut once Tim rides into town.

trainman
12-02-2010, 11:22
Although not my first choice of drinking places I still wish they'd open one in my town,

Agreed, I thought that the closed-down Woolies may offer good potential in West Norwood, but it went to Sainsburys Local, right opposite Tesco Express & Somerfield, none of which stock much of a range between 'em.
I thought that jdw may have moved on a number of Woolworth sites but perhaps it's trickier to get permission for high-street pubs, esp these days when gaggles of smokers can present an offputting, if not menacing, air to the public.

arwkrite
12-02-2010, 12:39
Something has just struck me ( must get the roof fixed). What is it that turns relatively harmless blokes enjoying a pint and a fag INSIDE a pub into a menacing gang of nicotine addicts you have second thoughts on requesting access to the pub when outside ?
I think all of us here have commented on feeling wary of these groups. Yet whether on my own or in company I have never had any problem with these people, in fact many of them have been very helpfull when the mrs was in the wheelchair by opening doors.
Why do we have this feeling of antipathy towards them? Has the Anti Smoking Campaign be that successful that we now associate smokers with being anti social neer do wells. Puzzling.

Conrad
12-02-2010, 12:45
For me it is purely down to the width of the pavement or entryway.

It is frustrating when they clog up the pavement outside pubs and you are expected to walk in the road to make way for all those smoking (a new form of danger from passive smoking ;)), and a similar logic when trying to go into the pub, if they are sat around tables outside then it is far less offensive than having to part the sea of smokers.

Sadly I guess that most of that is beyond the pubs control in a lot of cases. Ed made a post on his blog about smoking (http://studentbrewer.blogspot.com/2010/02/what-is-wrong-with-us.html) recently.

arwkrite
12-02-2010, 13:04
The JDWs in Bicester is situated in a wide pedestrianized thoroughfare with a smoking area out back. They did put out a few tables but the local council stopped them. The area out back is more an extension of the bar/ eating area as a result the smokers congregate out front. So much for the cafe society. Meanwhile up the road at Yates ,which has no rear smoking area,the council permit an area of pavement to be cordoned off during the day for smoking but the area is also a pleasant place to drink on a hot day complete with tables and chairs. I see a lot of this about. Locally a pub now shut has no smoking area. It looks out onto the town square which has no drinking policy signs all over it. Used to be great to sit outside on a summers day

hopwas
12-02-2010, 13:22
Sadly it is common sight in Tamworth.. we have Yates, B79, Boot Inn, at least 5 cafes, Snooker Club and even one cafe on Market Square...

On Positive side.. Our JDWs don't allow put table and chairs outside their front for smokers. Silk Kite's "garden" is one of smallest JDW can offer.. about same size as average hallway!

Oggwyn Trench
12-02-2010, 13:53
They do go at it hammer and tongs in Telford there's nothing else to do.

Frankie Boyle said that the opening ceremony of the Olympics always reminds him of Glasgow.

Everybody is wearing a tracksuit and there's lots of explosions. It reminds me of Telford.

AND the JDW is only a small one.

To build your own Telford , take 3 thriving market town and in the middle build a huge out of town shopping complex and call it the Town Centre , bulldoze all the surrounding countryside and build lots of pigeon box houses any spare land can be used for industrial estates , fill the houses with people rejected from the Black Country , Potteries etc .
After a few years start to wonder why your nice shiny town centre is surrounded by slums and the 3 market towns are ghost towns whose residents hate you for what you have done

You may gather i`ve got a bit of a chip on me shoulder about this
If you look up Telford on chavtowns i think they go easy on it

Oggwyn Trench
12-02-2010, 14:00
120,000?! :eek::eek: surley thats total population for WHOLE Telford including surrounding areas. Not Telford City itself?

Anyway.. seriously there is 11 pubs on Main St in Newport alone? I know Newport is small town but 11 pubs... :confused:

Lichfield, Staffs has population of only around 27,000 but already got 2 JDWs plus 4 superb real ale houses and all are walkable each other..

In my hometown, We got 2 JDWs including one recently opened.. only problem is both JDWs are few mins walk each other!

In Newport from the top of the street
Railway
Shakespere
Pheasant
Barley Mow
Ozzys
Royal Victoria
Swan
Bridge
Kings Head
And just off the main drag
New Inn
Honeysuckle
take you about 5 mins to walk one end to other

hopwas
12-02-2010, 14:07
Railway
Shakespere
Pheasant
Barley Mow
Ozzys
Royal Victoria
Swan
Bridge
Kings Head
And just off the main drag
New Inn
Honeysuckle

Funny thing.. I nearly went to Newport two years ago then decided against it went to pub crawling in Stafford instead..

Now that list is beginning look good and good reason for me go there..

Oggwyn Trench
12-02-2010, 14:14
Funny thing.. I nearly went to Newport two years ago then decided against it went to pub crawling in Stafford instead..

Now that list is beginning look good and good reason for me go there..

I never said they were any good !!!
The best pubs are in the surrounding villages , in town the Shakespere is ok as is the Pheasant , the Bridge is getting a decent rep , The Railway and Kings Head are locals , Locals and can be a bit intimadating the others are variable , Ozzys is named after its previous owner a certain Mr Osbourne

Oggwyn Trench
12-02-2010, 14:18
All this talk of Newport has got me thinking , i`m off work next week and its only 15 mins on the bus , the Mrs will be home from work at 3 to look after the lad , and being half term the pubs wont be full of students from Harper Adams , a crawl beckons:drinkup:

hopwas
12-02-2010, 14:21
All this talk of Newport has got me thinking , i`m off work next week and its only 15 mins on the bus , the Mrs will be home from work at 3 to look after the lad , and being half term the pubs wont be full of students from Harper Adams , a crawl beckons:drinkup:

Does Newport have buses that goes to Wolverhampton?

oldboots
12-02-2010, 15:06
Agreed, I thought that the closed-down Woolies may offer good potential in West Norwood, but it went to Sainsburys Local, right opposite Tesco Express & Somerfield, none of which stock much of a range between 'em.

You want a Booths, that's what you want, lots of choice.

trainman
12-02-2010, 15:11

I was talking about food products, but the beer choice at this little triangle of clones is even worse. Booths? Looks like my nearest store is in Knutsford!

Dave M
12-02-2010, 15:14

I know I want one, I wish they'd get a bit further South than Knutsford.

Couldn't believe it when I first went in search of beer in the Ulverston branch and discovered an entire aisle. Must have been at least 150 different beers, took me ages to decide what to get.

oldboots
12-02-2010, 15:25
I was talking about food products, but the beer choice at this little triangle of clones is even worse. Booths? Looks like my nearest store is in Knutsford!

Food products? I've got a wife who gets that sort of stuff :D

This morning I got Copper Dragon Pippin, Elgoods Cambridge, Fullers 1845, Ulverston's Another fine mess and Tirrell's Brewshers Bitter before I went for a cracking pint of Rudgate Viking.

What about the "Beers by Post" companies? Cheaper than a day out up the M6.

hopwas
12-02-2010, 15:34
Independent off licence shop in Bewdley was real gem! They had well over hundreds of bottled real ales and most of them I never heard of. Took me well over half hour to select 3 bottles! I won't mind go back there again.

Here.. http://www.bewdley.actinet.net/tipplers/main.htm

aleandhearty
12-02-2010, 16:05
Here.. http://www.bewdley.actinet.net/tipplers/main.htm

Spooky! That website's a time portal. Open it up and you travel back to 1999. Either that or nothing much has changed in 2999. By the way if anyone is interested in joining the PuG Time Travellers Club, the next meeting will be last Tuesday.

hopwas
12-02-2010, 16:15
Spooky! That website's a time portal. Open it up and you travel back to 1999. Either that or nothing much has changed in 2999. By the way if anyone is interested in joining the PuG Time Travellers Club, the next meeting will be last Tuesday.

Boy you are correct.. i hasn't realised it was from 1999! I thought it looked bit tacky and now I know why! :o

Oh I will see you at last Tuesday meeting... :whistle:

runningdog
12-02-2010, 18:02
What is it that turns relatively harmless blokes enjoying a pint and a fag INSIDE a pub into a menacing gang of nicotine addicts you have second thoughts on requesting access to the pub when outside ?

Something that's puzzled me for ages, well, at least since the ban. Most like it's down to the Daily Mail and the like.........

How about adding Zacks, ale ain't much, but the fish and chips are pretty good.........

Looks like my nearest store is in Knutsford!
Friends of mine had a lurcher called Knutsford. The bought him in Knutsford services. Big bugger he were..........
:drinkup::drinkup: Off to the pub now.........

Oggwyn Trench
12-02-2010, 19:27
891 to Telford Bus Station then 481 to Newport http://www.cartoplus.co.uk/telford_wrekin_2/town.htm

The 891 stops in Shifnal 8-9 pubs some pretty good , then you could do the short hop to Telford Town Centre and the Thomas Bottfield another JDW to tick off

hopwas
12-02-2010, 19:42
891 to Telford Bus Station then 481 to Newport http://www.cartoplus.co.uk/telford_wrekin_2/town.htm

The 891 stops in Shifnal 8-9 pubs some pretty good , then you could do the short hop to Telford Town Centre and the Thomas Bottfield another JDW to tick off

Brilliant! Shame there is only7 JDWs in Shropshire, 3 of those is in Shrewsbury so it is pretty sparse in Shropshire.

Oggwyn Trench
12-02-2010, 19:52
Brilliant! Shame there is only7 JDWs in Shropshire, 3 of those is in Shrewsbury so it is pretty sparse in Shropshire.

If you fancy an adventure you could try Market Drayton , the JDW is the Hippodrome (its an old cinema) and there are about 14 pubs in a 2/3 min walk in fact theres about 9 in a 100 yard radius

hopwas
12-02-2010, 19:53
I dont believe it.. I was looking in JDW's website for Shropshire JDWs and I realised I actually visited The Shrewsbury Hotel in Shrewsbury! That takes me up to 97 JDWS I have visited..

hopwas
12-02-2010, 20:05
If you fancy an adventure you could try Market Drayton , the JDW is the Hippodrome (its an old cinema) and there are about 14 pubs in a 2/3 min walk in fact theres about 9 in a 100 yard radius

9 in a 100 yard radius?! Thats lots...

Thanks! I will be going to Market Drayton one day to kick off JDW obviously..

Oggwyn Trench
12-02-2010, 20:28
9 in a 100 yard radius?! Thats lots...

Thanks! I will be going to Market Drayton one day to kick off JDW obviously..

The one end of town has the Red Lion and Stags Head next door toeach other , a few doors up theres the sadly closed Corbet Arms across the road from Jeffros , if you go across the square theres the Crown next door to the Star and across the road the Stafford Court , back across the square theres three pubs in a row , Tudor House , Clive and Coffyne and Sambrook Vaults then about 50 yds up the road is the Kings Arms next door to Oscars and not far from the Coach and Horses and Joiners , the JDW is the other end of the main street about a 3 min walk from the square , there is a pub across the road from it that has changed its name recently and i cant remember its new name