PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 25th March 2012)

ROBCamra
20-03-2012, 09:35
Thuck Phat: Elland Karma Citra
Spinko: York Guzzler
Oggwyn Trench: White Rose Hop Singer
aleandhearty: Revolutions Clash London Porter
Al 10000: Bakewell Best
Old Blue: Otley Thai-Bo
PaulOfHorsham: Oakham Green Devil IPA
Bucking Fastard: Zululand Zulu Blonde
Quinno: Flowerpots Hopton Pale
Pubsignman: Brain's Clock Tower
Alesonly: Wychwood King Goblin
ROBCamra: Salopian Icon

Oggwyn Trench
22-03-2012, 09:13
Few days off work so had a wander round Shrewsbury yesterday via the two JDWs for a couple of festival ales

Woods - Twistgrip
Stonehouse - Station Bitter
Salopian - Shropshire Gold
Banks - Bitter
Bass
Joules - Blonde
North Cotswold - Shagweaver

Thuck Phat
24-03-2012, 15:31
A very quiet week which has drawn to a close on the ale front.
Two contenders: the ever reliable Oakham Bishops Farewell and BOTW Elland Karma Citra. 4.5% of very well balanced hoppiness and everyone who tried one immediately developed an urgent desire to wrap themselves around several more. A great pint.

Spinko
24-03-2012, 18:32
Had a few Friday night, good ones were Punk IPA and 5a.m. Saint in Foley's. Can't remember about what else was on there but it was a good selection as usual.

Out in York today and the Three Legged Mare servd up two wonderful Guzzlers at 3.6%. Usually well below my radar but bang on. York Tap then provided a High Wire by Magic Rock at 5.5%. Kipling at Pivni went down well with a chocolate brownie, and a Sam Smiths Extra Stout in the Hansom Cab was also good.

York - Guzzler wins it I think

Oggwyn Trench
25-03-2012, 14:18
Another decent session on Saturday:D

Marston - Single Hop
Salamander - Honky Tonk
White Rose - Hop Singer
Pictish - Newport
Pictish - Columbus
Liverpool Organic - Best Bitter
Ironbridge - IPA

BOTW White Rose - Hop Singer just right for a sunny afternoons drinking

aleandhearty
25-03-2012, 18:38
A fairly quiet week for me, but did have a decent session last night. Tried this week:

Abbeydale - Genesis.
Revolutions - Clash London Porter.
Magic Rock - High Wire.
Acorn - Yorkshire Pride.
Timothy Taylor - Ram Tam.
Williams Bros - Harvest Sun.
Beartown - Kodiak Gold.
Rudgate - Jorvik Blonde.

Enjoyed a cracking pint of Ram Tam, but the clear winner was the porter, in The Cricketers Arms, Horbury. One slight note of concern was the consistency of the High Wire. The last couple of times I've tried it, it's tasted slightly different, with a somewhat murkier hop character. Hope it's not going to become a victim of its own success like Rudgate Ruby Mild did for a while.

Al 10000
25-03-2012, 19:45
It makes a change to have a good weeks drinking beers tried were

Purity - UBU
Castle Rock - Harvest Pale
Brewdog - 5am Saint
Peak Ales - Bakewell best
Spire - Dark Side of the Moon
Spire - Whiter Shade of Pale
Oakwell - Barnsley bitter
Bradfield - Farmers Blonde
Ashover - Over the Rainbow
Kelham - Easy Rider
Camerons - Strongarm
Black Sheep - bitter
Adnams - Bitter
Thornbridge - Lord Marples

My beer of the week goes to Bakewell best tried in the Sheffield Tap

Old Blue
25-03-2012, 20:14
I failed to nominate a BOTW last week, having only drunk my regular tipples plus some guests from Oakham between which I couldn't decide. Normally I really like these, but was beginning to feel a bit, well, Oakhamed-out, having had so many recently and finding myself beginning to meld them into one another mentally. Maybe you can have too much of a good thing after all.

More variety this week:
Red Squirrel Hopfest
Otley Thai-Bo
Oakham JHB
Sam Smiths OBB
Surrey Hills Shere Drop
Gales Spring Sprinter
Dark Star Black Coffee Pilsner
and I finally managed to get a pint of Dark Star Revelation, having persuaded one of my locals to get it in - certainly a good, strong, hoppy pint, but to be honest a tad disappointing because it didn't seem to have the complexity I expected. I was amazed however at how well the rather experimental Otley's Thai-Bo from Pontypridd went down in the Falcon near Clapham Junction, and that has to be my BOTW by quite a distance.

PaulOfHorsham
25-03-2012, 21:10
For 20 minutes or so, Salopian Icon had the nod - nice hoppy pale ale. But then I went up to the bar and got a half of Oakham Green Devil IPA - pretty much a perfect example of an American style IPA - dangerously drinkable and wearing its 6% very lightly indeed.

rpadam
25-03-2012, 22:10
I was amazed however at how well the rather experimental Otley's Thai-Bo from Pontypridd went down in the Falcon near Clapham Junction, and that has to be my BOTW by quite a distance.
It went off part-way through having my pint poured in the Falcon on Saturday - how annoying is that!

Bucking Fastard
26-03-2012, 09:50
By default and my only BOTW :o was Zululand Zulu Blonde a 'spoons festival ale in The Rupert Brooke,Rugby. It was passable.

Quinno
26-03-2012, 16:28
Some excellent ales week just gone but my winner is Flowerpots Hopton Pale at the Nags - a nice balanced hoppy pint that I ranked higher than the Oakham Citra, which was on two pumps down.

Pubsignman
26-03-2012, 19:02
Drank a lot of fairly average stuff this week - even the ever reliable Dark Star APA was off form in the Green Dragon on Friday. BOTW comes down to Redemption Pale Ale and Brain's Clock Tower from the 'Spoons festival. I'll give it to the Brain's as it was a much better pint than I'd expected.

Alesonly
28-03-2012, 12:03
Best of only a few Ales last week was the.

Wychwood King Goblin Another nice strong Dark Ale.

ROBCamra
30-03-2012, 09:22
A pretty peaceful week really with only a couple of visits to The Baum and the same to the Regal Moon.

The JDW festival beers aren't really doing it for me this time, with most of them being just OK in my opinion.

BOTW is going to be Salopian Icon tried several times in The Baum. Another light hopbomb. :cheers: