PDA

View Full Version : Hoppy's JDW tour of West Midlands

hopwas
10-02-2010, 13:56
Hi everybody, I must admit I had mixed day yesterday in Birmingham/Sandwell area. Anyway here I go..

I got off at Sutton Coldfield to catch 907 that goes to Perry Parr where Birmingham's newest JDW The Arthur Roberston is..

THE ARTHUR ROBERSTON, PERRY PARR

http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww131/hopwas2007/wetherspoon001.jpg

After 10 mins travelling, I got off directly opposite The One Stop Shopping Centre and I had to navigate countless traffic lights and subways to get to JDW. I never liked One Stop Shopping Centre because its building is so 1980's but I won't go further. The Arthur Roberston is on Western most corner, next to main entrance to shopping mall. My first impression is it looks bit dodgy and dark but I was very wrong! Massive single room and surprisingly airy. Photographs of Arthur Robertson and Birchfield athletics stadium everywhere, Arthur Roberston was well known athletic and won Gold and Sliver in Olympics. Very pleasant JDW I admit. I would go back. I had half of Okrwell's Celtic Porter which is all right. The Arthur Roberston is very handy for nearby Perry Parr stadium and Perry Parr's railway station which sits opposite.

Back on bus to City Centre where I caught 14 to Alum Rock, I got off right by The Hornet..

THE HORNET, ALUM ROCK

http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/static/gallery/1013-search-results.jpg

Only JDW of eastern side of Birmingham I never visited so landmark for me. Turned out be big disappointment :( drinkers are full of OAPS and The Hornet is more like working man club than JDW. Fairly small and very basic furniture. No pictures, sole television to keep drinkers amused. Bizarre Gent toilet layout, which I cant explain! Choice of real ales are poor or its clips turned around. So I opted for safe one, Ruddles cost me mere 50p! I wont be bother go back but at least I ticked this pub. This pub has been on my mind for years and finally I can safely say its gremlins has flicked off my shoulders. :D Luckily bus stop is right outside and I caught bus back to Brum..

I caught 258 bus where it will take me to Rowley Regis and dropped off on High Street by massive Sainsbury's and I can see The Britannia in the distance..

THE BRITANNIA, ROWLEY REGIS

http://www.cask-marque.co.uk/pubs/pub_images/1656_The-Britannia_Exterior.jpg

It looked like huge barn on the outside. So I went in, the heat hits me and I felt like I am in tropical country instead of chilly UK! I was sweating like a pig so I took off my coat and woolly hat plus gloves. After browsing real ale range and I was delighted to see Runningdog's favourite tipple.. Exmoor's BEAST (6.6%). I foolishly ordered pint.. I ended up like I had 10 pints! :nishelypished::nishelypished::nishelypished:

The Britannia is right on Sandwell/Halesowen border. L shaped room with quite large beer garden on the side of pub. I can see it is very friendly place and had no problems apart from bit too warm for me :D I wanted to stay here all day and enjoy the BEAST. Sadly I had to drag myself out to catch bus to Cradley Heath albeit feeling punch drunk.. I got on 404a bus (thanks to Delboy!) and after 15 mins on bus (if you go on 404a bus, view of massive cremetry on the hill, it is quite awesome to watch)

I arrived in CRAZY Cradley Heath.. Boy, plenty to talk about this place.

PART 2 COMING UP..

hopwas
10-02-2010, 14:36
Well well What I can say about Cradley Heath? Full of weird and crazy people (Sorry Delboy!) I'll explain bit later but for now, I got off (again opposite The Moon Under Water)

THE MOON UNDER WATER, CRADLEY HEATH

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/images/display/57005_fc870f3b819c85d82f017e074e9da625.jpg

Pub is on main street between Halesowen and West Bromwich. I felt like I was back in 1990's cos pub still retain old JDW's style.. full of bookcase and dark brown wooden walls around the room. L shaped room and very tiny beer garden in out back. Now I did say weird and crazy people, I should rename the pub as JDW's Ripley believe it or not! One drinker has eye-patch over his eye, another has no eye at all (He has NO eye-patch and I can see the interior where the eye supposed to be) Another one has awful tic which his body shakes like he had a fit. I was stared and some people nudging his elbow to fellow drinkers as I went inside. I felt like I was completely outsider and quietly ordered half of Salponian Gold. As I walked to toilet, old woman was talking and angry with herself!

I went out and had a sausage roll at Greggs. I waited for bus which will take me to West Bromwich. A woman was standing beside me, suddenly a car braked and shouted at woman. Both exchanged very angry words and almost came to blows. Luckily bystander stepped in and pulled them apart. Woman's final insult was sticking up two fingers at the driver as car speeded away :eek:

Thank god after 20 mins waiting for bus, bus came and took me away to West Bromwich. I got off (seems every JDW has bus right outside!) by The Billiard Hall..

THE BILLARD HALL, WEST BROMWICH

http://sandwell.granttech.co.uk/uploads/member1240/logo.jpg

This pub has one of the strangest JDW building I ever seen. I was informed that it used to house full of snooker tables hence the name. Only entrance to pub was blocked by full of drinkers puffing away their cigs. I had to politely asked them to move which they did. Now what I can say about Billiard Hall.. rather large single room. Full of chavs, hardened drinkers and drunks. As I sipping my drink, a group of chavs arrived, high fiving and fist slapping each other. I can tell this pub is quite rough to drink in. All fruit machines are guarded by heavy duty metal covering to prevent would be robbers breaking. One thing I NEVER see in JDW is large screen hanging below the celling. I definitely will not going back. Oh I almost forget.. I had half of Titanic's Black Ice which is poor, I guess 80% of drinkers go for Lagers hence real ales are not well used and cost me 79p for half.

Now by the time I had a problem, I intended go to Walsall but last bus from Walsall to Lichfield is 5.30pm and it was 4.45pm by the time I finished my half. I decided to leave Walsall for another time and went back to Sutton Coldfield then caught 110 bus to Tamworth where I had pints in The Bolebridge, my home JDW The Silk Kite and finally my local The Fox.

Next time I shall be touring Black Country JDWs plus new JDW in Northfield (South East of Brum) which will be opening this Friday.

Phew! Hope you enjoyed reading this.

Hoppy

runningdog
10-02-2010, 20:02
:drinkup::drinkup:Well, Hoppy, I was going to say several somethings, but I'm a bit overawed. Glad you enjoyed the Beast, it seems as if, as it should be, it was the highlight..........Mr Martin's world is not, it seems for rthe faint-hearted...Bring on the the Beast, or the Lancer's, or the HSB...I'm past caring..........:drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:

Tilly-Miss
10-02-2010, 23:52
You mastered the beast it seems,very enjoyable read well done for getting home safely,look forward to your next outing.

arwkrite
11-02-2010, 08:20
Well done Hoppy .A...er....interesting description of the denizens of Cradely Heath and their watering holes. Some people are to frightened to get off the bus there. This area is one of the most depressed in the UK and it would not be my choice for a pub crawl. So take a medal Hoppy, the colour of your choice there, for services to pub reporting , starring down one eyed men and supreme bladder control on public transport.

trainman
11-02-2010, 08:35
Exmoor's BEAST (6.6%). I foolishly ordered pint.. I ended up like I had 10 pints!

You mastered the beast it seems,

Erm, it sounds t'other way round to me T-M, Hoppy was tamed by the Beast!

hopwas
11-02-2010, 10:11
Well done Hoppy .A...er....interesting description of the denizens of Cradely Heath and their watering holes. Some people are to frightened to get off the bus there. This area is one of the most depressed in the UK and it would not be my choice for a pub crawl. So take a medal Hoppy, the colour of your choice there, for services to pub reporting , starring down one eyed men and supreme bladder control on public transport.

Thanks Sir!

It was my first ever visit to Cradley Heath despite I was born in Birmingham 31 years ago! I can safely say it is not for faint hearted for people who planning go on pub crawl in Cradley Heath.

Oh that bladder control? Simple trick.. always go to toilet JUST before you catch bus. Always works!

Hoppy

hopwas
11-02-2010, 10:21
Erm, it sounds t'other way round to me T-M, Hoppy was tamed by the Beast!

I must practise taming the BEAST before I can say I have mastered it..:whistle:

Runningdog, care to teach me...

Delboy20
11-02-2010, 22:48
Now hang on a minute, I am not taking this ! I am a "denizen of Cradley Heath" and we don't all have eye patches. I have lived in the area all my life and live 5 mins from the Moon at the moment.
Yes there are a few "characters" in the town but no more than any where else. In fact you probably visited on a quiet day by the sound of it !!
Perhaps I should make some " I drank in Cradley Heath and survived ! " badges. Could be a winner !!

Cheers,

Delboy.

hopwas
11-02-2010, 22:54
Now hang on a minute, I am not taking this ! I am a "denizen of Cradley Heath" and we don't all have eye patches. I have lived in the area all my life and live 5 mins from the Moon at the moment.
Yes there are a few "characters" in the town but no more than any where else. In fact you probably visited on a quiet day by the sound of it !!
Perhaps I should make some " I drank in Cradley Heath and survived ! " badges. Could be a winner !!

Cheers,

Delboy.

Lol! Did I visit Cradley on "quiet day"? Boy, it was really bizarre! Your people is really crazy especially that woman and the driver nearly came to blows by bus stop near JDW!

Can I have badge saying "I went to Cradley Heath and I survived!" :cheers:

On serious note.. I may PM you regarding route from Northfield via Stourbridge to Walsall so I'll need your help

Thanks!

Hoppy

runningdog
11-02-2010, 23:16
I must practise taming the BEAST before I can say I have mastered it..:whistle:
Runningdog, care to teach me...
To paraphrase an old lyric....'You teaching?' 'You buying? ' I'm buying' 'I'm teaching'..........:cheers:
Bring on the Beast:drinkup:Don't mind if I do:drinkup:

hopwas
11-02-2010, 23:19
To paraphrase an old lyric....'You teaching?' 'You buying? ' I'm buying' 'I'm teaching'..........:cheers:
Bring on the Beast:drinkup:Don't mind if I do:drinkup:

I'll buy you a pint only if you can bring your bum to West Midlands.. :D

Oh Runningdog, save some BEAST for me mate... :pray:

arwkrite
11-02-2010, 23:30
Hoppy have you invented a new sport called Extreme Pub Crawling ? The route you mention, is that in the correct order. The Northfield I know is South Westish of Selly Oak and North of Longbridge. I would have said Walsall >Northfield> Stourbridge but may be you have a convuluted tour in mind. I know Northfield from my trips to the QE Hosp to see the mrs and in my opinion its a desert as regards any decent pubs. Selly Oak and Harbourne have a number of reasonable ones. Again the area was hit pretty bad when Rover went to the wall and it had started to look a bit run down all over that area.The only thing that I know about buses in that area is that the drivers think they have the gawd given right to stop in box junctions and foul up the traffic. I did not notice an excess of one eyed pirate types.

runningdog
11-02-2010, 23:47
I'll buy you a pint only if you can bring your bum to West Midlands.. :D

I ever get that way, which may not be impossible during the summer, I will give you a shout.:drinkup::drinkup:
When I'm calling you,ooo,ou...OK, I know, I'll drink up, get me coat, and leave you in peace..........

hopwas
11-02-2010, 23:49
Hoppy have you invented a new sport called Extreme Pub Crawling ? The route you mention, is that in the correct order. The Northfield I know is South Westish of Selly Oak and North of Longbridge. I would have said Walsall >Northfield> Stourbridge but may be you have a convuluted tour in mind. I know Northfield from my trips to the QE Hosp to see the mrs and in my opinion its a desert as regards any decent pubs. Selly Oak and Harbourne have a number of reasonable ones. Again the area was hit pretty bad when Rover went to the wall and it had started to look a bit run down all over that area.The only thing that I know about buses in that area is that the drivers think they have the gawd given right to stop in box junctions and foul up the traffic. I did not notice an excess of one eyed pirate types.

Only problem I prefer Walsall to be my last cos they have bus that goes to Lichfield.

So I prefer Northfield, Halesowen, Sourbridge then work upwards to walsall

Soup Dragon
12-02-2010, 20:21

I am hoping to do Harborne tomorrow after work - did Walsall and Gornal again last week - life is lovely!

hopwas
12-02-2010, 20:28
I am hoping to do Harborne tomorrow after work - did Walsall and Gornal again last week - life is lovely!

Hey Soupy.. long time eh?

Avoid Harborne Stores! I know they don't sell any MILD or Real ales.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised with White Horse.. Simply outstanding pub.

Soup Dragon
12-02-2010, 20:39
Hey Soupy.. long time eh?

Avoid Harborne Stores! I know they don't sell any MILD or Real ales.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised with White Horse.. Simply outstanding pub.

Yes mate, i hear it is supposed to be good, but will do them all as usual!

it has been years since i was last down there - i think i was attending the Open Uni in Harborne at the time