PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 18th March 2012)

ROBCamra
13-03-2012, 09:10
Alesonly: Vasileostrovsky Imperial Russian Stout
Spinko: Kernel Double Citra IPA
Oggwyn Trench: Bradfield Farmers Steel Cow
Thuck Phat: Holden's Purple Haze
Bucking Fastard: Titanic Nine Tenth's Below
oldboots: Oakham Citra
Wittenden: Timothy Taylors Landlord
aleandhearty: Milton Saturnalia
Pubsignman: John Martin's Pale Ale
Quinno: Milton Saturnalia
ROBCamra: Craddocks Troll

gillhalfpint
13-03-2012, 09:16
Had a great Leeds Pale Ale at a Toby carvery yesterday which was quite a suprise. Clean palate but the flavour was pure old fashioned bitter taste. Expecting other good beers in York and Leeds this week, but felt it deserved an early BOTW rating.

Alesonly
15-03-2012, 12:48
This weeks Ale of the week will be the Vasileostrovsky Imperial Russian Stout 6.5% Thats it till next friday now as im back on duty till then.

BOTW Vasileostrovsky Imperial Russian Stout 6.5%

Spinko
17-03-2012, 08:24
Had a great Leeds Pale Ale at a Toby carvery yesterday which was quite a suprise. Clean palate but the flavour was pure old fashioned bitter taste. Expecting other good beers in York and Leeds this week, but felt it deserved an early BOTW rating.

The Picturehouse in Leeds also does a good carvery (£3.99!) and Leeds Pale - usually it's a fairly boring post-Tetley's kind of beer, but in here it's aways really fresh, probably because of the very high turnover.

Spinko
18-03-2012, 08:50
A good session yesterday, starting with a Landlord in the Rams Head in Denshaw (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/60094/). A decent enough pint of Mallinson's - Galaxy followed in the Sportsman in Huddersfield. Then a good Leeds Pale in PIN on the way back to my flat next to the Tetley's Improvement Project. Heading back out, I had a really good Punk IPA in Foley's followed up by one of my favourites of this year so far Burley St Brewhouse - Laguna Seca. After placing a couple of bets on the rugby league I headed to North where things really got interesting. A pint of Stone Ruination IPA was unbelievably good but then surpassed by a bottle of The Kernel - Double Citra IPA. Not a bad beer in there but the best was the last!

Kernel - Double Citra IPA

Oggwyn Trench
18-03-2012, 09:48
Decent session yesterday and mostly managed to avoid the half wits in guiness hats(none of whom were drinking guiness:confused:)

Apart from the spoons festival , Hydes Owd Oak , Wadworth Swordfish , Skinners Riggin Ale , Hilden Scullion Irish Ale i also had

Marstons - EPA
Purple Moose - Cwrw Eryri
Marston Moor - Cromwell Pale
Bradfield - Farmers Steel Cow

BOTW Bradfield - Farmers Steel Cow

Thuck Phat
18-03-2012, 11:34
Runners and riders:

College Green Molly's Chocolate Stout (not on St Patrick's Day)
Holden's Purple Haze
Theakstons Paradise
Everards Original
Phipps NBC India Pale Ale
Oakham Bishops Farewell

The Chocolate Stout wasn't at all bad, the Original as consistent as ever and the Bishops absolutely top quality but BOTW was Holden's Purple Haze, a light and quaffable session ale.

Bucking Fastard
18-03-2012, 18:44
The 'spoons festival has thrown up some interesting ales and my BOTW is Titanic Nine Tenth's Below ,really outstanding in The Hamilton Hall,Liverpool Street and a fair reward for just missing my train.

oldboots
18-03-2012, 19:24
Not an exciting week and Hilden Scullion won't feature here but I'll go for an old favourite and an often nominated one, Oakham Citra .

No nomination next week as work will stop me going to any pubs, :(

Wittenden
18-03-2012, 22:44
Only a couple of beers this week-a rather thin and sorry for itself Adnams Old, and a cracking pint of Timothy Taylor's Landlord. A consolation prize, as we were making a daylight raid to York,and I knew that a pub visit there was not on the agenda.A lunchtime pint at the Welby Arms hit the spot-marmalade and black pepper. I've tended to ignore LL recently, as it has become ubiquitous in the less than imaginative freehouses in the South, and even in Yorkshire it has seemed overshadowed:my loss, as in the right hands it is a classic.

aleandhearty
19-03-2012, 17:03
Another good week for different beers, although the overall standard wasn't as good as last week's jaunt round Huddersfield. Tried this week:

Thwaites - Logans Run.
Elgoods - Snake Slayer.
Brains - Clock Tower.
Batemans - Smokey Joe.
Rat - Rat Pack.
Dr Mortons - Ancient Grease.
Salamander - Stout.
Mallinsons - Neptune.
Bank Top - Leprechaun Stout.
Empire - Anxiety.
Milton - Saturnalia.
Milton - Marcus Aurelius.
Riverhead - Sparth MILD.
Fernandes - Malt Shovel MILD.
Fernandes - Cascade.

Particularly enjoyed the Rat Pack and Marcus Aurelius (7.5% stout), but the Saturnalia just shaded it.

Pubsignman
20-03-2012, 11:28
Not much to shout about this week - just a couple from the 'Spoon's festival and a few dismal pints from Hall & Woodhouse.

BOTW by default is John Martin's Pale Ale from the 'Spoon's festival.

Quinno
20-03-2012, 13:07
Another good week for different beers, although the overall standard wasn't as good as last week's jaunt round Huddersfield. Tried this week:

Thwaites - Logans Run.
Elgoods - Snake Slayer.
Brains - Clock Tower.
Batemans - Smokey Joe.
Rat - Rat Pack.
Dr Mortons - Ancient Grease.
Salamander - Stout.
Mallinsons - Neptune.
Bank Top - Leprechaun Stout.
Empire - Anxiety.
Milton - Saturnalia.
Milton - Marcus Aurelius.
Riverhead - Sparth MILD.
Fernandes - Malt Shovel MILD.
Fernandes - Cascade.

Particularly enjoyed the Rat Pack and Marcus Aurelius (7.5% stout), but the Saturnalia just shaded it.

Snap with BOTW - Milton Saturnalia was on at the Nags last week. I rather enjoyed it. Usually Milton beers don't do much for me.

aleandhearty
20-03-2012, 18:39
Snap with BOTW - Milton Saturnalia was on at the Nags last week. I rather enjoyed it. Usually Milton beers don't do much for me.

Yeah, I've had one or two ho-hum ones from Milton, but on balance more good than bad. Watch out for the Nero stout though, it's fabulous stuff.

Quinno
20-03-2012, 21:47
Yeah, I've had one or two ho-hum ones from Milton, but on balance more good than bad. Watch out for the Nero stout though, it's fabulous stuff.

Ohh that's on at the Nags at the mo. Bit late to go out now for me but hopefully there'll be a drop left for tomorrow after work.

ROBCamra
23-03-2012, 10:13
A very late submission from me again.

I haven't found a beer at the JDW festival that really rocked my boat yet, although the Russian Stout was good.

BOTW is going to be Craddocks Troll, tried at the Baum inevitably. Light, with gentle hoppiness and very dangerous at 5.4%. :cheers:

Quinno
01-04-2012, 22:08
Having just had a flash of inspiration after entering my non-Reading beer scores on NBSS, I am changing my BOTW to Orkney Dark Island, which I had at The Belle Vue (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/2235/) in High Wycombe. Whoops! :o