PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 11th March 2012)

ROBCamra
06-03-2012, 11:55
Oggwyn Trench: Great Newsome Holderness Dark
oldboots: Robinson's Old Tom
Bucking Fastard: Red Squirrel Redwood American IPA
Alesonly: Banks & Taylor SOD
Wittenden: Rother Valley Copper Ale
Thuck Phat: Tetley's Trust Porter
Al 10000: Oakham Bishops Farewell
Pubsignman: Prescott Seasons Best Ruby Stout
Quinno: Buxton Blonde
Old Blue: Filo Churches
aleandhearty: Mallinsons Kiwi Classic
ROBCamra: Kirkstall Pale Ale

Spinko
07-03-2012, 20:59
I would be very surprised if anything will beat the Brodies - Citra I had in the Sheffield Tap. Cracking point, only 3.1% so not really something that would usually be on my radar either.

aleandhearty
08-03-2012, 19:23
Had two superb dark beers in the Philharmonic (Liverpool) on Tuesday. Moor Amoor Porter and Project Venus Venus Black - probably the best black IPA I've come across. I'll be a lucky man if I find anything better this week.

Oggwyn Trench
10-03-2012, 11:12
Dont tell ROBCamra but i have been drinking Pictish beers again this week :D

Pictish - Claymore
Pictish - Bullion
Pictish - Marynka
Pictish - Crystal
Great Newsome - Holderness Dark
Raw - Grey Ghost IPA
Ironbridge - Citra Noir

The Citra Noir is a bit of a weird one , a dark beer made with Citra hops some people love it , i am not sure its a bit like a grapefruity stout :eek:

BOTW Great Newsome - Holderness Dark

oldboots
11-03-2012, 16:42
This week I have been mainly drinking........the usual old stuff available in North Yorkshire without a trip into York or the West Riding.

Walls of Northallerton are upping their game and their Gun Dog Bitter is gettting to be a beer of choice, Rough Draft are a brewery to watch but are not there yet, and I was reminded just how good a beer Roosters Yankee is at the small but fun Spofforth Beer Festival yesterday. Young Tom Fozzard knows his stuff I must say.

However I'm going for a bottled beer as BOTW because it is just a great beer either draught (if only I could get this side of the Pennines:moremad:) or bottled and there's no compromise on the 7.5% plus beer tax, ladies and gentlemen I give you Robinson's Old Tom

Bucking Fastard
11-03-2012, 20:15
A bit of boating often yields some decent beers and in any other week Oakham's Preacher would have got BOTW,a great session brown beer with the usual Oakham citrus hit but the best pint was Red Squirrel Redwood American IPA in outstanding form in The Riser,Berko.A 5.4% deep golden hoppy beer with a bitter orange aftertaste,there was a lot going on .A treat for the taste bud,and should be on that Good IPA list methinks.

Alesonly
12-03-2012, 00:49
Had some very good Ales this week short listed down to Top Three.
Banks & Taylor SOD
Burton Bridge Bramble Stout
Exmoor Brewery Exmoor Beast
All nice dark strong Ales my favourite so its hard to say which is best so I will go with the Banks & Taylor SOD As Ale of the week.

Wittenden
12-03-2012, 08:36
Another quiet week on the beer front,however I grabbed a quick pint of Copper Ale from Rother Valley. They are one of our nearest micros, and I used to drink Level Best regularily, but I seem to have forgotten them recently. A shame, as Copper Ale is a lovely beast, with buckets of darkish malt and lashings of hops-don't know which, but they are based on a hop farm , and have close ties to Hoad's farm in Sandhurst which grows some interesting varieties. Great stuff.

Thuck Phat
12-03-2012, 11:44
A fairly quiet week (again).
Oakham Bishops Farewell
Dark Star Golden Gate
Skinners (Lake District) Plan B
Tetleys Trust Porter

All good ales with BOTW being Tetley's Trust Porter which was unexpectedly very good.

Al 10000
12-03-2012, 17:07
Ive finally had a good weekend drinking with a good choice of beers to choose from

Beers drunk were

Everards Beacon bitter
Langton Caudle
Langton Inclined Plane
Langton Angler
Oakham Bishops Farewell
Oakham JHB
Greene King Old Golden Hen
Greene King IPA
Woodfords Wherry
Robinsons Build a Rocket Boys
St Austell Tribute
Bass
Taylor Landlord

Most of these were very nice drinks but i will have to go with Oakham Bishops Farewell as my beer of the week.

Pubsignman
12-03-2012, 17:33
Spent the weekend in Sheffield, so no shortage of good beer to pick from this week.

Crown HPA, Brew Co Evil Genius and surprisingly the key-keg version of Thornbridge Kipling all stood out from the crowd, but BOTW goes to Prescott Seasons Best Ruby Stout - a really enjoyable, moreish pint tried in one of the best pubs of the weekend; New Barrack Tavern (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/43212/).

Quinno
12-03-2012, 19:50
A taut tie between Windsor & Eton Knight of the Garter at http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/61621/ and Buxton Blonde. at The Nags Head (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/1691/)

Hmmm. I think the Buxton just shades it. That's the second week running!

Old Blue
13-03-2012, 08:08
A pretty good week for me:
Surrey Hills Gilt Complex
Belhaven Grand Slam
Oakham Citra
White's Brighton Rocks
Brains Rev'd James
Old Dairy Blue Top and Copper Top
Abigale's Samphire
Dark Star APA
Rother Valley Chocolate Porter and Level Best
Filo Churches and Old Town Tom
Hopdaemon Incubus

A weekend in Rye was better than expected on the beer front: I had a pint of Harvey's through lack of alternative in the first pub we went in, and rather expected to end up having to drink it all over the place, but managed to get something different everywhere else. I reckon most of the above could have been BOTW in another week. Think I'll go for FILO Churches, drunk in the FILO in Hastings.

trainman
13-03-2012, 12:37
Think I'll go for FILO Churches, drunk in the FILO in Hastings.

Wow! That must have been a top beer to win from that formidable looking line-up...

Old Blue
13-03-2012, 19:04
Wow! That must have been a top beer to win from that formidable looking line-up...

It was, a really tasty APA. Not a lot between it and most of the others though

I suspect from others' contributions recently it would probably have lost out to Dark Star Revolution, which I still haven't tried: although I found it on in the Queens Head in Icklesham on Saturday, I gave it a miss as the Queens Head is in the middle of nowhere and I was driving and thought the 5.7% a bit too dodgy. Hoping to find it somewhere else soon...

trainman
13-03-2012, 22:08
it would probably have lost out to Dark Star Revolution, Hoping to find it somewhere else soon...
Revelation? I wouldn't put anyone off trying it, but I thought the strong alcohol taste meant it was not as well balanced as most of their beers or, for instance, the slightly stronger Jaipur (Thornbridge). Not as good, imo, as their APA.

Quinno
13-03-2012, 22:25
Revelation? I wouldn't put anyone off trying it, but I thought the strong alcohol taste meant it was not as well balanced as most of their beers or, for instance, the slightly stronger Jaipur (Thornbridge). Not as good, imo, as their APA.

Well well young man.

Jody at the Nags (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/1691/) is having a 'strong IPA-off' on Friday. Dark Star Revelation, Thornbridge Jaipur and Redemption Big Chief. Each start on a dedicated pump on the whistle. First to go from a 9 wins!

See you there :cheers::nishelypished::D

My money is on the Big Chief, BTW

trainman
14-03-2012, 07:31
See you there :cheers::nishelypished::D

I do hope to be back in Reading sooner, rather than later, but Friday is, alas, not possible. :(

One of the spoons in Liverpool was having a 1st-9-emptied-wins by putting pairs of beers on at a time, with the winners of 8 match-ups going thru to the qtr-final, reintroduced and pitted against another winner etc. Quite innovative, I thought, for a jdw.

aleandhearty
15-03-2012, 15:15
Very late submitting this week, but it turned out to be a cracking time for beer, topped off with an unexpected trip to Huddersfield, including the ever wonderful Grove. Tried this week:

Moor - Amoor Porter.
Project Venus - Venus Black.
Ilkley - Triple A.
Summer Wine Brewery - Galicoe.
Gadd's - No.7.
Magic Rock - Curious.
Durham - White Amarillo.
Magic Rock - High Wire.
Mallinsons - Kiwi Classic.
Pictish - Black.
Holts - IPA.
Brewsters - Stilton Porter.
Potbelly - Crazy Days.
Mallinsons - Indulgence.
Sprtsman Brew Co - Pigeon Bridge Porter.
Mallinsons - Castle Hill.
Fernandes - Malt shovel MILD.
Rat - Dirty Rat.

Almost impossible to choose a winner from that little lot, but I'll plump for the Mallinsons Kiwi Classic.

ROBCamra
15-03-2012, 17:21
Very late myself this week. My only excuse was that we visited the Northern Restaurant & Bar 2012 show at the Gmex on Tuesday.

That wrote off both Tuesday and quite a bit of Wednesday. :p

BOTW is going to be Kirkstall Pale Ale tried at the rather good The Sparrow (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/73922/) in Bradford. :cheers:

Quinno
15-03-2012, 20:43
One of the spoons in Liverpool was having a 1st-9-emptied-wins by putting pairs of beers on at a time, with the winners of 8 match-ups going thru to the qtr-final, reintroduced and pitted against another winner etc. Quite innovative, I thought, for a jdw.

Great idea! I might suggest that to Jody if the Friday stunt goes well.