PDA

View Full Version : Anyone for (boring) brown bitter?

Wittenden
24-02-2012, 13:25
A post close to my heart and palate on Boak
and Bailey:http://boakandbailey.com/2012/02/23/the-brown-bitter-company/#comments

Bucking Fastard
24-02-2012, 14:01
That's a very amusing antidote to the BrewDog hype,I liked the slogan "If a pint of bitter was good enough for your grandad,it's good enough for you ":D

Not sure Spinko would pop into the "pub" but for me the challenge would be to find 20 distinctive and different brown bitters.Off the top of my head,I would stock the following

TT Landlord (tight sparkler)
Surrey Hills Shere Drop
London Pride
Marble Manchester Bitter (not very brown)
"Gales" HSB

....err there must be more

ROBCamra
24-02-2012, 14:43

In fact, very light, as the other half always drinks it in the Marble Arch or The Knott and she only likes light beer. ;)

Quinno
24-02-2012, 15:05
That's a very amusing antidote to the BrewDog hype,I liked the slogan "If a pint of bitter was good enough for your grandad,it's good enough for you ":D

Not sure Spinko would pop into the "pub" but for me the challenge would be to find 20 distinctive and different brown bitters.Off the top of my head,I would stock the following

TT Landlord (tight sparkler)
Surrey Hills Shere Drop
London Pride
"Gales" HSB

....err there must be more

West Berkshire Good Old Boy, a super session beer.
Windsor & Eton Guardsman
Hawkshead Bitter and/or Red

AlanH
24-02-2012, 18:07
I generally like to see a range of colours from very pale to black, but going into a bar where all the beers are brown would make a "refreshing" :drinkup: change from more the norm where ALL the beers are very pale. I would not mind them being all pale if most of them didn't have that same 'citrus' taste.
Also, could somone design a range of colours for our :drinkup: smiley. The one on Chester CAMRA forum is black which would appeal to the mild drinkers on the site.

oldboots
24-02-2012, 18:39
I am currently drinking a bottle of Marble Tawny No5, absolutely gorgeous, brown and not boring in any way. I did have a couple of bottles of Copper Dragon Golden Pippin earlier which were jolly good too and a fine example of what our very own Wittenden calls "Yorkshire Helles" in his well received comment to the B&B blog which started this thread. I have to say living in Yorkshire I can get a bit bored with all these hoppy golden ales.

The one on Chester CAMRA forum is black which would appeal to the mild drinkers on the site.

I think you'll find the normal Pug rendition is :notworthy: MILD :notworthy: in deference to the learned Mr Soup Dragon, besides :drinkup: could be a pint of light :notworthy:MILD:notworthy:.

gillhalfpint
24-02-2012, 18:47
I too like some boring brown beers after going to so many pubs where the range of beers are much of a muchness with pale, light, straw, or other such description, yet most leave you feeling as if you have been sucking lemons all night.

I enjoy trying new beers and new breweries, but yes, a colour range between the pale and the stout, porter and milds would be a refreshing change.

trainman
24-02-2012, 19:21
On a previous forum, far far away, a rather good thread asked what would be your first (& most regular) beers across the 5 handpumps in your pub.
I think the selection had to include a Dark/Stout/Mild, a regular best bitter, something over 5%, a golden or IPA, an.other.
My brown beer was Everards Tiger, a very good session beer, I think.
I don't see Harveys mentioned in this thread yet; great character but some find it an acquired taste? I like it.

Strongers
I thought all beer was brownish... Must be drinking too much Pride, which I think has a hint of red.

trainman
On a previous forum, far far away, a rather good thread asked what would be your first (& most regular) beers across the 5 handpumps in your pub.
I think the selection had to include a Dark/Stout/Mild, a regular best bitter, something over 5%, a golden or IPA, an.other.
I don't see Harveys mentioned in this thread yet; great character but some find it an acquired taste? I like it.

trainman
24-02-2012, 19:31

AlanH
24-02-2012, 22:31
I notice, because you are the trainman, your post had three "carriages". At first I thought I must have been drinking too much Brown Beer and got multiple vision!

Bucking Fastard
25-02-2012, 11:21
Had a decent brown bitter last night,Essex Boys from Crouch Vale .Glad others have jogged my failing memory,Harvey's Sussex Best is great and I have got an Everards Tiger pump clip attached to me tiller,shouldn't have forgotten that brew :muppet:

Soup Dragon
25-02-2012, 11:29
A few straight bitter choices - under 4%

Holden's Bitter
Hobson's Bitter
Hook Norton - Hooky Bitter

Just about to go for a tour of Lichfield - a few re-reviews no doubt:)

sheffield hatter
25-02-2012, 11:44
Essex Boys and Sussex Best both excellent; in the same style, Brakspears Bitter is still pretty good. Unfortunately their Oxford Gold is more widespread and I rarely see the bitter in these parts, likewise Hooky, which used to be on at the Museum in Sheffield. In a slightly different style, Hartleys XB, although now brewed by Robinsons, of course, is an OK if unspectacular brown bitter, and Jennings Bitter likewise.

Al 10000
25-02-2012, 13:52
Joseph Holts bitter must be one of the best bitters in the country
Robinsons bitter another very nice brown bitter
Everards Tiger bitter another very tasty beer
Batemans XB I really enjoy this drink
Donnington BB Tried this in all their tied house last year and really enjoyed this drink
Harveys bitter This is a realy nice bitter,shame we dont see that much of it up here

Maldenman
26-02-2012, 14:50
I'm certainly with Al on the Holts Bitter, a real old favourite of mine in my formative drinking years in the Manchester area although it was always difficult to get mates into a Holts pub back then as they were never trendy, just basic beer houses. Memories of this pub, Legh Arms (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/65446/), but Everards, yes, Harveys, yes, but although it is a premium beer, not a standard bitter, you'll go a long way before you find a better pint than Fullers ESB.
Batham's Bitter is sensational but it is a little lighter.

rpadam
26-02-2012, 15:21
Holts's, Hobson's, Holden's, Hooky and (and in particular) Harvey's - is there a theme emerging?

However, with no 'H's but a lot of 'w's, we musn't forget the excellent Cwrw Glaslyn from Bragdy Mŵs Piws...

AlanH
26-02-2012, 16:45
I'm certainly with Al on the Holts Bitter, a real old favourite of mine in my formative drinking years in the Manchester area although it was always difficult to get mates into a Holts pub back then as they were never trendy, just basic beer houses. Memories of this pub, Legh Arms (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/65446/), .

I have long and fond memories of the Legh Arms. My Holts local for 25 years, big and basic but what great beer. My wife is a connoisseur of the very brown Holts :notworthy:mild:notworthy:.

My works local for 44 years The Grove Inn (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/25964/) serves one of the best pints of Brown Holts Bitter around.

Maldenman
26-02-2012, 20:50
I have long and fond memories of the Legh Arms. My Holts local for 25 years, big and basic but what great beer.

I grew up in Sale Moor, used to drink in the Legh Arms, Temple, Sale Hotel, and The Bridge on Dane Rd. The Holts in The Legh was always spot on, multi room pub back then with a revolving main front door. I have a few tales to tell of that place.

AlanH
27-02-2012, 08:16
I grew up in Sale Moor, used to drink in the Legh Arms, Temple, Sale Hotel, and The Bridge on Dane Rd. The Holts in The Legh was always spot on, multi room pub back then with a revolving main front door. I have a few tales to tell of that place.

All my locals too along with The Carters. Sadly, the revolving door went from The Legh. I remember getting my mother-in-law's wheelchair up the five steps and through this door! Now there is a ramp via the vault. I've not been in the Sale Hotel since it reopened as The Moorfield (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/55150/) .

Back on (boring) Brown Bitter, The Temple used to sell the excellent John Smith's Magnet. This dark "nutty" ale was easily the best beer JS produced and a sad day when it was discontinued. Far better than any of the c*** that they manufacture today!

gillhalfpint
27-02-2012, 09:12
Does Camerons Strongarm count? I like to grab this one when I see it. Also enjoy Fullers ESB.

From a new brewery, Beer Geek Geek Unique. Had a few glasses of this at their beer launch at the Post Office Vaults. I know I've found a good one when I am happy to sit in a pub drinking the same beer over and over again. That's something I don't get to do very often in these modern days of pale hoppy beers.

Noticed that most of the beers being listed here are from the older established breweries. Goes to show how times and tastes have changed. Wondering now if all those quoting the beers on here are from the older generation.

Rex_Rattus
27-02-2012, 10:29
Has anyone mentioned Betty Stogs? Anyway, I think the consensus (on here anyway) is that brown beer doesn't have to be boring.

aleandhearty
27-02-2012, 19:20
.... the excellent John Smith's Magnet. This dark "nutty" ale was easily the best beer JS produced and a sad day when it was discontinued. Far better than any of the c*** that they manufacture today!

Have to agree, a far superior brew. Must be twenty odd years since I had a pint though.

Anyway, I think the consensus (on here anyway) is that brown beer doesn't have to be boring.

Being a world weary old cynic and knowing that everything is cyclical, I wouldn't be surprised if the Boak & Bailey article is the start of a revival supposedly championed by the beer bloggerati. The craft brewers will then start churning out their interpretations of the style, no doubt claiming they loved it all along, but still 're-inventing' to make it theirs. Six percent brews served from (key) kegs coming to a bar near you soon.

Thuck Phat
28-02-2012, 10:38
Hog's Back T.E.A.
Salopian Darwin Origin
Titanic Full Steam Ahead
Wood Farm Best Bitter

The latter is brewed locally and it's the only one of the range I've tried but it looks boring and brown and flies down.

Bucking Fastard
11-03-2012, 19:32
Put Oakham Preacher on that list.It may be brown but certainly not boring with a subtle (for Oakham) citrus theme on a classic session pint

Mobyduck
11-06-2012, 20:53
I just don't seem to like brown beer anymore, I was brought up on it but now I find it in general quite ordinary, of course there are exceptions ,I am quite partial to Betty Stogs for one, but where does brown change to dark or amber ,is there an exact line?Gales H.S.B. ,good,brown, but, dark brown.I think I've probably hit my own personal nail on the head,in general I don't find Best Bitters exciting anymore.

Mobyduck
18-06-2012, 22:45
I just don't seem to like brown beer anymore, I was brought up on it but now I find it in general quite ordinary, of course there are exceptions ,I am quite partial to Betty Stogs for one, but where does brown change to dark or amber ,is there an exact line?Gales H.S.B. ,good,brown, but, dark brown.I think I've probably hit my own personal nail on the head,in general I don't find Best Bitters exciting anymore.
Having stated the above in the previous post, I have in the last week found myself enjoying pints of Butcombe Bitter, Skinners Betty Stogs and even a pint of :eek:Courage Best. All were presented in tip top condition and I was more than happy to have more than one of each,especially the Betty Stogs.On the downside I suffered (not for long) some poor Woodfordes Wherry,something I normally find ok.Just goes to show you can never say never.:confused:

sheffield hatter
24-08-2012, 21:03
I normally like so-called "boring" brown beers because by-and-large they're not boring. OK, they're not going to blow the roof of your mouth off with hops tasting of grapefruit, but that's fine by me. There's one beer that was actually designed to be boring, though: Abbeydale Daily Bread (http://www.abbeydalebrewery.co.uk/beers/daily-bread). I had a pint of this a few years ago at The Office (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/43284/), which for a short time was owned by Abbeydale brewery and renamed The Moon. They had a range of Abbeydale beers, including this one. The manager was telling us the story of Daily Bread, which was brewed specifically to be like John Smiths, in an attempt to wean regulars off the ghastly smoothflow crap. Apparently the brewer was in tears on being instructed to create this abomination. I somehow managed to let myself be talked into drinking some, which was very cold and entirely devoid of taste. To say I felt cheated would be an understatement, but to be fair, he had told us it was modelled on John Smiths.

I've always avoided this beer since then, but the other night I was in the University Arms (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/66867/) and didn't fancy any of the pale beers on offer so decided to give Daily Bread another try. Fair enough, it wasn't freezing cold this time, but it still tasted of absolutely nothing at all. :mad:

Mobyduck
25-08-2012, 21:35
What is boring brown beer? Most of it to my mind,or so I thought until I actually thought about it is to me boring,I could make a long list of boring brown beer,some of which are-
Courage Best
Sharps Doom Bar
Sam Smiths OBB (very boring)
Fullers London Pride
Wells and Youngs Bombardier, and so on,
But some I realised I do Actually like are
Skinners Betty Stogs
Woodfordes Wherry
St Austell Tribute, are these actually brown beers,I think they are slightly paler than the previously mentioned,hence my like for them,but where do you draw the line,I also like Gales(Fullers)HSB which is very much brown,but as for your bog standard best bitter's I can give them a miss.

Aqualung
26-08-2012, 15:59
There are some fairly mainstream non-pale bitters that I like a few of which have been mentioned :-

Adnam's Bitter
Fuller's ESB
Everard's Old Original
Holden's Special
Banks's Bitter
Robinson's Best (now called Unicorn) and Double Hop
Hook Norton Old Hooky
Woodforde's Wherry, Nelson's Revenge and Admiral's Revenge
Triple fff Moondance
Harvey's Best
Brakspear's Bitter

And a recent one Redemption Urban Dusk which is a dark bitter.

My boring list would include

Fuller's London Pride
Well's Bombardier
Young's Special
Courage Best
Courage Directors
Tetley Bitter
Sam Smith's OBB
McMullen's AK
McMullen's Country
Draught Bass
Greene King Ruddles

Plus many others no longer available!

Oggwyn Trench
26-08-2012, 19:40
Everards Tiger is on regulary at the Fighting Cocks and its a pretty good pint , a couple of local beers that are pretty good are Rowton Bitter which is a decent session beer , and Joules Pale Ale which is very similar to Bass when it was good , none of them are groundbreaking but are good beers of the style and i like a bit of variety to break up the monotony :eek:of Golden Hop Bombs:D

Mobyduck
26-08-2012, 20:23
Everards Tiger is on regulary at the Fighting Cocks and its a pretty good pint , a couple of local beers that are pretty good are Rowton Bitter which is a decent session beer , and Joules Pale Ale which is very similar to Bass when it was good , none of them are groundbreaking but are good beers of the style and i like a bit of variety to break up the monotony :eek:of Golden Hop Bombs:D

Give me Golden Hop Bombs all day long . :bemerry::drinkup::cheers:

MJ71
26-08-2012, 20:34
Joules Pale Ale which is very similar to Bass when it was good

I'm glad you said that as that's exactly what I thought when I had it. It's a really nice beer, I think.

Mobyduck
20-09-2012, 19:24
This week I have had to put up with a lot of boring brown beer ,just a couple of pints a night down my local after work, which seems to be going through a boring brown beer phase this week. The delights Iv'e had to choose from this week so far were,
the ever present Courage Best,the quite often present Doom Bar , Shep's Spitfire, Wells and Young's Bombardier and Sambrook's Wandle, all not only various shades of brown but bloody boring. There is always Gales HSB on which isn't boring but a bit strong for a swift one or two on the way home,one golden offering this week to date, the bloody awful Green King IPA Gold,not a good beer week.Light at the end of the tunnel though,the Darkstar delivery arrived today so the weekend should get better. :pray:

Aqualung
20-09-2012, 22:08
This week I have had to put up with a lot of boring brown beer ,just a couple of pints a night down my local after work, which seems to be going through a boring brown beer phase this week. The delights Iv'e had to choose from this week so far were,
the ever present Courage Best,the quite often present Doom Bar , Shep's Spitfire, Wells and Young's Bombardier and Sambrook's Wandle, all not only various shades of brown but bloody boring. There is always Gales HSB on which isn't boring but a bit strong for a swift one or two on the way home,one golden offering this week to date, the bloody awful Green King IPA Gold,not a good beer week.Light at the end of the tunnel though,the Darkstar delivery arrived today so the weekend should get better. :pray:

I don't believe I have ever tried Doombar, I must be the only one on these forums who can boast that!

If I eventually see it I won't be rushing to try it!!

Mobyduck
21-09-2012, 20:39
I don't believe I have ever tried Doombar, I must be the only one on these forums who can boast that!

you must lead a charmed life to have escaped the the dreaded Doom Bar this far, it actually used to be a decent pint,alas no more it seems .

Mobyduck
21-09-2012, 20:43
Darkstar American Pale Ale tonight,to be followed by Hophead and Kiwi,a golden weekend ahead.:drinkup:

Wittenden
21-09-2012, 21:46

Me too! I never came across it for ages; when I'd see it there were more exciting options available, (or what I thought were more exciting...)

Mobyduck
18-01-2013, 18:53
799The beer on the left was mentioned by myself in the IPA's the good the bad and the ugly thread (bad),it also qualifies for the boring brown bitter category as does its bed mate in this picture.

Bucking Fastard
19-01-2013, 09:09
799The beer on the left was mentioned by myself in the IPA's the good the bad and the ugly thread (bad),it also qualifies for the boring brown bitter category as does its bed mate in this picture.

That's a shocker.BTW where did you get the chalk from,Moby :whistle:

Mobyduck
19-01-2013, 10:32
That's a shocker.BTW where did you get the chalk from,Moby :whistle:
I found it near the dartboard,it was just asking to be used. :evilgrin:

aleandhearty
05-04-2013, 17:20
Not very often I get excited about brown beer these days, usually preferring pale or black brews. However, I think Frothingham Best from the Great Newsome brewery deserves an honorable mention. Brewed with Crystal malts and Pilgrim hops, it's really hit the spot the last couple of times I've tried it. Anyone else come across it? The brewery is based in Hull, so it may not have made an appearance dahn sarf.

Mobyduck
05-04-2013, 19:24
Just drunk possibly the most perfect pint I've ever had the pleasure to drink, I am not a fan of brown beer in general but two pints of Darkstar Six Hop ale ,6.5%, was absolutely spot on tonight and in appearance brown ,albeit pale brown, but definitely heaven for me tonight, easily beer of the year for me already and I can't see anything to beat it at this point.

london calling
05-04-2013, 22:29
Just drunk possibly the most perfect pint I've ever had the pleasure to drink, I am not a fan of brown beer in general but two pints of Darkstar Six Hop ale ,6.5%, was absolutely spot on tonight and in appearance brown ,albeit pale brown, but definitely heaven for me tonight, easily beer of the year for me already and I can't see anything to beat it at this point.
Now , now Moby this should be about brown and boring like my recent Banks bitter not great beers of the 21 st century.(and its not even brown to my eyes anyway.)

Mobyduck
06-04-2013, 07:42
Now , now Moby this should be about brown and boring like my recent Banks bitter not great beers of the 21 st century.(and its not even brown to my eyes anyway.)
Oh yes Doom bar,London Pride,Bombardier,Courage Best,Greenking Ipa ......... I'll stop now I'm getting depressed :D

Al 10000
06-04-2013, 17:26
Not very often I get excited about brown beer these days, usually preferring pale or black brews. However, I think Frothingham Best from the Great Newsome brewery deserves an honorable mention. Brewed with Crystal malts and Pilgrim hops, it's really hit the spot the last couple of times I've tried it. Anyone else come across it? The brewery is based in Hull, so it may not have made an appearance dahn sarf.

I saw it in this pub Hollybush (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/20903/) so it has managed to reach south Leicestershire.

PaulOfHorsham
06-04-2013, 18:32
In recent months, I have twice encountered proper hoppy best bitters - wish I could remember the other, but one was Bristol Beer Factory's "Bitter Californian" - a hybrid between a traditional English Best Bitter and the wonderfully aromatic Californian Pale Ales, they say and I'd agree. Recommended if you see it on the bar.

rpadam
06-04-2013, 19:37
The Six Hop was certainly on splendid form in the Cask & Kitchen yesterday, and my Spanish colleague had certainly never encountered a beer anything like it (having only experienced dreary cerveza until relatively recently...).

Mobyduck
06-04-2013, 19:57
The Six Hop was certainly on splendid form in the Cask & Kitchen yesterday, and my Spanish colleague had certainly never encountered a beer anything like it (having only experienced dreary cerveza until relatively recently...).
Education is a wonderful thing , Six Hop or Cerveza ? I like to think I am Slightly educated :drinkup: :D

Bucking Fastard
06-04-2013, 21:13

Glad you enjoyed it,I made it my BOTW last week and can still taste the hops ;)

Mobyduck
06-04-2013, 21:16
Glad you enjoyed it,I made it my BOTW last week and can still taste the hops ;)
Just had some more and I am well hopped ,so to speak.

aleandhearty
08-04-2013, 11:32
Bloody hell! I found another one, that's two in a week. Tried Wold Top Bitter on Saturday and thought it had a lovely old fashioned taste. Only 3.7%, it had a wonderful lasting creamy finish. The missus said it reminded her of 80s favourite Castle Eden, at its best and I had to agree.

Thuck Phat
08-04-2013, 12:40
You're a lucky man A&H living in the midst of a real ale oasis!

Titanic brew one or two excellent BBBs, the most recent I've tried being Lifeboat. It's boring, brown and it's bitter but at 4% it's immensely drinkable due in part, I suspect, to Titanic's trademark bitter finish.

aleandhearty
09-04-2013, 11:20
You're a lucky man A&H living in the midst of a real ale oasis!

Titanic brew one or two excellent BBBs, the most recent I've tried being Lifeboat. It's boring, brown and it's bitter but at 4% it's immensely drinkable due in part, I suspect, to Titanic's trademark bitter finish.

I know ROB, 'ob' and I can bang on about it, so I'll pass this time. :D

I tried Lifeboat a few weeks ago, but it didn't make much of an impression. However, it was sampled well into a session. I've come to the conclusion that BBBs, more than any other style , need to be tried early in a session, ideally on a fresh palate. After very hoppy ales, or those with a full roast character, BBBs just can't compete. A case in point was the Wold Top bitter praised above. When it was my first drink of the day I loved it. However, after a pint of Jaipur, I finished off the wife's and the flavour had been killed stone dead.

sheffield hatter
09-04-2013, 11:35
After very hoppy ales, or those with a full roast character, BBBs just can't compete. A case in point was the Wold Top bitter praised above. When it was my first drink of the day I loved it. However, after a pint of Jaipur, I finished off the wife's and the flavour had been killed stone dead.

I see that as being a problem with excessively hopped ales, rather than a problem with BBBs. :)

Chacun as they allegedly say in France a son gout.