PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 26th Febuary 2012)

ROBCamra
21-02-2012, 12:07
rpadam: Young's London Porter
Quinno: West Berks Good Old Boy
Wittenden: Larkins Traditional
gillhalfpint: Beer Geek Geek Unique
Oggwyn Trench: Weltons Land of Hope and Glory
Spinko: Ska Brewing Modus Hoperandi IPA
Pubsignman: Adnam's American Style IPA
oldboots: Rat Brewery Black Rat
RogerB: Kent Brewery Enigma
Bucking Fastard: Adnams Oyster Stout
Thuck Phat: Leffe Blonde
aleandhearty: Revolutions Severin Dark
Alesonly: Arundel Stronghold
Old Blue: Surrey Hills Ranmore Ale
ROBCamra: Off Beat Quirky Kiwi
hondo: kozel lager :eek:

rpadam
21-02-2012, 23:49
Early call for this week, but my pint of the rare Young's London (well Bedford, I suppose) Porter in The Coborn Arms (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/24979/) last night hit the mark perfectly...

ROBCamra
22-02-2012, 11:40
A slightly subdued start to the drinking week in The Baum as the range of beers on offer wasn't as good as normal.

This was due to the pub having a very busy weekend and selling loads of ale.

This is probably Pubsignman's fault as he visited twice on Saturday. ;)

Having said that there were still 7 ales and one cider to choose from.

Fugelstou Northway IPA didn't do it at all for me and Marston's Sweet Chariot is indeed a bit sweet for me.

However Hornbeam Black Coral Stout was excellent and Fugelstou FSB was also good enough to have two of each.

Phoenix Navvy, Jennings Cumberland Ale & Timothy Taylors Golden Best all being resolutely untried by me on the night.

I know most pubs would kill for a beer line up like that but I was a bit disappointed, a very unusual feeling in The Baum. :cheers:

Quinno
25-02-2012, 09:56
A lovely West Berks Good Old Boy at The Foresters Arms (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/61565/) is my BOTW, presuming I stay dry tonight, as intended :pray:

Wittenden
25-02-2012, 23:04
A quieter week this time. Only one pub visit and one beer:Larkins Traditional. Today it was its toffeeish best, great bitter depths and a finish reminiscent of green apples.The ultimate session beer.

gillhalfpint
26-02-2012, 09:05
Beer Geek launched their beers yesterday in the Post Office Vaults in Birmingham, and we spent a few hours in there, and a rare moment for us as we found a beer we could really stay with and enjoy instead of chasing round looking for new beers. Beer Geek, Geek Unique is my BOTW this week. Enjoyed sitting in the company of Sunderland fans back from their defeat at West Brom. Shame.

Oggwyn Trench
26-02-2012, 10:13
Weekend drinking spoiled by a bloody throat infection :moremad: meaning everything tasted very similar :(

Purple Moose - Cwrw Eryri
Hobsons - Bitter
Joules - Slumbering Monk
Weltons - Land of Hope and Glory

Its between the Joules and the Weltons as at 4.5% and 4.6% they are the only ones i could really taste :(

BOTW Weltons - Land of Hope and Glory

Spinko
26-02-2012, 10:51
A fantastic week of drinking, with around 20 different pubs visited around West Yorkshire. This included an alternative rail ale trail mostly along the northern TransPennine route (Leeds-Shipley-Bradford-Sowerby Bridge-Brighouse-Dewsbury-Batley-Leeds).

Stand out brews were mainly from Friday's drinking though:

Burley St - Laguna Seca in the Fox & Newt.
Ska Brewing - Modus Hoperandi IPA in Foley's
Fernandes - Rhubarb Bitter in both Fernandes Brewery Tap and The Hop Wakefield

The Winner will be Modus Hoperandi - just the foam tasted good! £3.50 a half though so definitely not a session beer ;)

The Fox & Newt is a much improved pub and is a newcomer on my Leeds crawls, good for food too.

Pubsignman
27-02-2012, 01:20
BOTW goes to Adnam's American Style IPA which pips Dark Star Partridge this week. Is an American style IPA not an APA? :confused:

oldboots
27-02-2012, 08:48
not a brilliant week for beer but the best was easily Rat Brewery's Black Rat

RogerB
27-02-2012, 10:10
A pre-match jaunt around Ruislip on Tuesday didn't throw up too much but a good pint of Yeovil Star Gazer in the 'Spoons was a contender as was the ELA Nightwatchman in the shopping mall hell of the Bull in Shepherds Bush. Top of the pile this week though was another cracker from Kent Brewery; Enigma, a weighty but tasty 5.5%'er at Dartford's Paper Moon

Bucking Fastard
27-02-2012, 11:50
A very good session in The Peasant,Clerkenwell with two contenders from Crouch Vale, Essex Boys ,a good "boring" session bitter ,and the ever reliable Brewers Gold but BOTW goes to Adnams Oyster Stout in The Old Cross Tavern ,Hertford.An excellent seasonal ale,shame it's not available year round.

Thuck Phat
27-02-2012, 11:54
A week away with a lot of eurofizz so BOTW was Leffe Blonde.

aleandhearty
27-02-2012, 18:38
After a prolonged dry spell, at least I managed to get some beers in this week. The Wakefield Festival of Food, Drink & Rhubarb was held over the weekend and several beers containing the local delicacy were on offer. Like 'Spinko' I enjoyed Fernandes Rhubarb Bitter, but thought the Sportsman Brew Co. Rhubarb was a slightly tastier brew. (Both were better than you might think!) Tried this week:

Revolutions - Severin Dark.
Fernandes - Rhubarb Bitter.
Sportsman Brewing Company - Rhubarb.
Tigertops - Jung Hop.
Dark Star - Revelation.
Titanic - Full Steam Ahead.
Hopback - Entire Stout.
RCH - East Street Cream.
Rudgate - Ruby Mild.

In the end, a cigarette paper separates the Revelation from the Severin Dark. However, for a 3.3% MILD to be served a little cold, in a plastic glass and still taste superb, it has to be a bit special.

RogerB
27-02-2012, 18:52
The Wakefield Festival of Food, Drink & Rhubarb

You couldn't make it up.:D

aleandhearty
27-02-2012, 19:44
You couldn't make it up.:D

:D I don't suppose you could!

Alesonly
28-02-2012, 00:05
Had a good skin full over the past two weeks as Ive been on leave and spent a lot of time in the shed rebuldig me bike or down the Pub.
:D
Beer of the week for this week was Arundel Stronghold Another dark Beer.

Old Blue
28-02-2012, 08:42
Itchen Valley Pure Gold, Winchester Ale and Hampshire Rose
Tetley's Trust Porter
Young's London Porter
Surrey Hills Ranmore Ale
Adnams Lighthouse

Not a great week, Ranmore gets it by default as none of the others really inspired me at all.

hondo
28-02-2012, 10:15
my "beer of the week" a refreshing kozel lager on a warm spring day at the weekend

ROBCamra
28-02-2012, 17:12
Not too large a selection this week as we had a quite a quiet week after the excesses of Derby & Fleetwood over the last 2 weekends.

Elland Scarlett's Fury was a good pint in The Regal Moon as was Blackhouse Porter.

But BOTW is going to be Off Beat Brewery's Quirky Kiwi. A hoppy pale beer using New Zealand hops. I had to have several over Friday/Saturday. :cheers:

Old Blue
01-03-2012, 08:12
my "beer of the week" a refreshing kozel lager on a warm spring day at the weekend

I must admit to drinking Kozel at some point probably most evenings, in one of my local bars that has no ale, as I find it more refreshing than the rest of their not inconsiderable range of lagers.