PDA

View Full Version : Random beer news of the day

Conrad
08-02-2010, 09:40
Beer makes your bones stronger (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life/health-fitness/health/Drink-beer-for-strong-bones/articleshow/5547561.cms).

oldboots
08-02-2010, 10:04
Beer makes your bones stronger (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life/health-fitness/health/Drink-beer-for-strong-bones/articleshow/5547561.cms).

I heard that on the BBC this morning and thought that makes a change from repeating lies about alcohol consumption.

I must say I've never broken a bone when I've been drunk so I will keep taking the medicine.

arwkrite
08-02-2010, 10:27
Another load of rubbish fact produced by research that could probably have been better spent elsewhere. Lynne suffered breaks in both arms within 18months from minor falls. Long term steroid use for another ailment weakened the bones. She also drank beer and wine in moderation, both recommended
These pointless reports are often refuted by other research else where.Sorry if I sound bitter its because I am . I put these results up there with claims by Quack Doctors and Snake Oil Salesman. They give false hopes to people who are suffering painful,crippling and perhaps fatal diseases simply because the research is done at reputable Universities. Health Product Shops make a fortune on selling stuff which states it "May" help.Lynne tried everything to ease the pain caused by arthritis, only paracetamol was permitted to her, but despite spending a fortune these alternatives did nothing.
No way having a rant at you Conrad. This has been bubbling away since it was mentioned on the radio early this morning. These researchers have to substantiate their grants but these meaningless remarks should be considered before being made public.

Conrad
08-02-2010, 10:44
Don't worry ark, I know you aren't having a go at me, I kind of agree with what you are saying. I do however blame the press, most of these articles are released in the science press and will actually be about 1 component in beer, the idea being that pharmaceuticals can one day focus on getting that component and make it useful. Someone in the mainstream press spots this article and proceeds to write a drivel article on it.

I tend to just smile and laugh at them, was definitely posted with the intent of the sort of reply ob dropped rather than any real medical advise.

Dave will be along shortly to explain how Bristol university have linked this conversation to smoking (a few years back it seemed to be that Bristol University would release an article every week explaining how their statisticians had linked something ridiculous to smoking).

arwkrite
08-02-2010, 10:48
Cheers Conrad. You actually beat me to making a remark about it. I have something cooking on another forum and have had a busy morning.......arwkrite.

Dave M
08-02-2010, 11:48
Dave will be along shortly to explain how Bristol university have linked this conversation to smoking (a few years back it seemed to be that Bristol University would release an article every week explaining how their statisticians had linked something ridiculous to smoking).

:moremad:

Don't get me started on the centre for Public Understanding of Science at Bristol University!

My academic background is in both science and statistics, the drivel that they used to publish was a quite extraordinary abuse of both - but the media just lapped it up. Their strategy was to monitor huge test groups of smokers and non smokers and draw wild conclusions based on differences between the two suggesting that the link must be smoking. That isn't science as I know it and really only fuels the public misunderstanding and distrust of science, I'm not sure they'd be willing to change the department name to that though.

As Conrad says though I probably only feel the need to rant about such things because I was exposed to passive smoking as a child. :rolleyes:

hopwas
08-02-2010, 13:04
Excellent article, Conrad! (by the way why indian news? :confused:)

Very good excuse for me going on pub crawl tomorrow in Brum! :cheers::cheers::cheers:

No wonder mouthwash is filled with alcohol.. :)

Conrad
08-02-2010, 13:29
(by the way why indian news? :confused:)
I have no idea, I knew it was published in the Independent this morning (heard it on The Today programme, probably the same as Ark) and did a search for "Independent beer bones" on Google, I thought it was telling me that I was going to the Independent and clearly didn't realise I had gone Indian.

I need more sleep......more beer and more sleep.

Tilly-Miss
08-02-2010, 16:16
Well done Conrad you certainly find interesting subjects, i enjoyed reading the article.

Conrad
08-02-2010, 16:19
Actually the highlight for me today has been this one:
Kingfisher diving (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1249168/Like-shooting-fish-barrel-How-photographer-coaxed-kingfisher-pose-camera.html)

I can think of no way of linking that sensibly back to pubs but it is just such an amazing image.

Oggwyn Trench
08-02-2010, 17:57
I heard that on the BBC this morning and thought that makes a change from repeating lies about alcohol consumption.

I must say I've never broken a bone when I've been drunk so I will keep taking the medicine.

A long time ago me Dad came home a bit worse for the drink , slipped in the bathroom , fell in the cast iron bath breaking his elbow , the sight of me Mom trying to get 17 stone of very drunk man in a lot of pain out of the bath with tears of laughter running down her face will live with me forever

hondo
09-02-2010, 07:02
Actually the highlight for me today has been this one:
Kingfisher diving (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1249168/Like-shooting-fish-barrel-How-photographer-coaxed-kingfisher-pose-camera.html)

I can think of no way of linking that sensibly back to pubs but it is just such an amazing image.

he better watch his back
165 :eek:

RogerB
09-02-2010, 11:08
There was a story a few days ago about a guy in Dorset (I think) who has been granted a licence to sell beer at home along the lines of the old parlour bars. I can't remember the details and, sods law - I can't find the story now.

aleandhearty
09-02-2010, 12:09
he better watch his back
165 :eek:

Blimey. Sharon Davies looks a bit rough these days.

There was a story a few days ago about a guy in Dorset (I think) who has been granted a licence to sell beer at home along the lines of the old parlour bars. I can't remember the details and, sods law - I can't find the story now.

Thanks Roger. Have you any more as good as that? :D

hondo
09-02-2010, 13:27
[QUOTE=aleandhearty;6822]Blimey. Sharon Davies looks a bit rough these days.

she's floating about
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1249180/ITV-sack-Jason-Gardiner-faecal-matter-jibe-says-husband-Dancing-Ice-contestant-Sharron-Davies.html :eek:

Millay
09-02-2010, 20:54
There was a rather disturbing story in today’s London Evening Standard about a drunk train guard who was found to have two cans of beer and a half bottle of vodka that he had decanted into water bottles. Apparently he admitted being drunk and said to officers “I must stop drinking”, presumably because he was already too pissed. But that wasn’t the best “No Shit Sherlock” part of the article. It stated that he was found passed out and slumped over his controls, in a wonderful example of understatement the prosecutor was quoted as saying “ This is not normal practice for safety reasons” :eek:

Eddie86
09-02-2010, 22:51
Apparently, a multi-billion pound research quango has discovered that in 100% of cases, being born results in death. A new committee has welcomed the report, and is planning to combat this terrible statistic by raising taxes on all products to do with 'living'

rpadam
09-02-2010, 23:01
There was a rather disturbing story in today’s London Evening Standard about a drunk train guard who was found to have two cans of beer and a half bottle of vodka that he had decanted into water bottles. Apparently he admitted being drunk and said to officers “I must stop drinking”, presumably because he was already too pissed. But that wasn’t the best “No Shit Sherlock” part of the article. It stated that he was found passed out and slumped over his controls, in a wonderful example of understatement the prosecutor was quoted as saying “ This is not normal practice for safety reasons” :eek:
A minor point, perhaps, but do train guards have controls to slump over?

Millay
10-02-2010, 05:32
A minor point, perhaps, but do train guards have controls to slump over?

I did wonder about that bit, I suspect he may have been in the drivers cab at the back of the train, not a great sight for anyone watching the train leave. Perhaps we need a trainspotters emergency helpline.

oldboots
10-02-2010, 07:28
Do they still have guards on trains? I thought they'd all been replaced by ticket collector/door operators? :whistle:

sorry, I'll get me anorak