PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 14 Feb 2010)

Conrad
07-02-2010, 14:48
Hopefully another interesting week, may we between us have as many this week as RogerB managed last week :eek:

Eddie86: Brewer's Gold from Crouch Vale (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1023-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-14-Feb-2010%29&p=6857#post6857) & Marble Arch's Pint (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/Marble%20Arch%27s%20Pint) (Clearly, BOT Start W and BOT End W)
Hopwas: Exmoor's BEAST (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1023-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-14-Feb-2010%29&p=6874#post6874)
aleandhearty: Thornbridge 'Brian Turner's Amber Ale' (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1023-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-14-Feb-2010%29&p=7070#post7070)
runningdog: Fuller/ Gales HSB (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1023-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-14-Feb-2010%29&p=7270#post7270)
Oggwyn Trench: Triple FFF, Pressed Rat And Warthog (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1023-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-14-Feb-2010%29&p=7281#post7281)
Pubsignman: Bowman Elderado (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1023-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-14-Feb-2010%29&p=7282#post7282)
trainman: Brew Dog's Trashy Blonde (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1023-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-14-Feb-2010%29&p=7301#post7301)
Millay: Dark Hare (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1023-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-14-Feb-2010%29&p=7329#post7329)
oldboots: Rudgate Viking (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1023-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-14-Feb-2010%29&p=7331#post7331)
Conrad: Badger's Pickled Partridge (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1023-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-14-Feb-2010%29&p=7334#post7334)
rogerb: Thwaites Wainwright Ale (http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showthread.php?1023-Beer-of-the-Week-%28w-e-14-Feb-2010%29&p=7414#post7414)

hopwas
07-02-2010, 15:52
It should be quite interesting week especially my pub crawl on Tuesday.

trainman
07-02-2010, 20:09
I keep forgetting about the homepage festival listings but note that Battersea is on this week. I called up the list of beers and, surprise surprise, nowt from Wye Valley as usual. Is there some sort of embargo? a ring of steel that the locals mount to prevent any Butty Bach leaving the immediate area? One day...

ROBCamra
08-02-2010, 11:36
I keep forgetting about the homepage festival listings but note that Battersea is on this week. I called up the list of beers and, surprise surprise, nowt from Wye Valley as usual. Is there some sort of embargo? a ring of steel that the locals mount to prevent any Butty Bach leaving the immediate area? One day...

It's Dorothy Goodbody we don't want you to get your hands on :p

Eddie86
09-02-2010, 15:42
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3b/Dorothy_Goodbody.png

Ah...

For those who don't know, because someone suggested that that clip used sex to promote beer, new clips now have this on:

http://www.wyevalleybrewery.co.uk/images/beers/dorothy-goodbody-stout.jpg

Ruby Ale on soon :D:D:D

Soup Dragon
09-02-2010, 18:33
I will have a bit of that Ed

Wouldn't mind the stout either

Eddie86
09-02-2010, 23:52
After tonight, there can only be one beer of the week, and it's Brewer's Gold (4.0%)

Nuff said

trainman
10-02-2010, 00:26
After tonight, there can only be one beer of the week, and it's Brewer's Gold (4.0%)

Nuff said

You should be brewery specific Eddie but, due to the abv, I'm guessing Crouch Vale, as opposed to, say, Pictish. Both fine fine brews but the latter is 3.8%.

Eddie86
10-02-2010, 08:06
Sorry TM, I was refering to the Brewer's Gold from Crouch Vale :D

ROBCamra
10-02-2010, 08:33
Several excellent beers on the bar in The Baum last night.

Batemans Hooker, Wychwood Dirty Tackle, Phoenix Massacre, Prospect Red Hop Lover and the best of the lot Indulgence which claims it is brewed by Toons Beer or Beer Toons.

I can't find any reference to this brewery anywhere. Anybody got any idea?

hondo
10-02-2010, 09:02

Batemans Hooker, Wychwood Dirty Tackle, Phoenix Massacre, Prospect Red Hop Lover and the best of the lot Indulgence which claims it is brewed by Toons Beer or Beer Toons.

doesnt help that much but page 5
http://www.waverleytbs.co.uk/Site/26/Documents/TotalCask/Feb%202010%20TotalCask%20Brochure.pdf

aleandhearty
10-02-2010, 09:39
Several excellent beers on the bar in The Baum last night.... Prospect Red Hop Lover.

Just used the link from 'hondo' and saw this beer mentioned. It's actually brewed by Brewsters not Prospect. I'm not nit picking, but just wanted to say that Brewsters 'Decadence' was one of my favourite beers last year. RHL is described as a red ale hopped with American varieties. Sounds fascinating, would love to try it, given the brewery's track record for awards.

runningdog
10-02-2010, 09:49
An early leader for me, Dorset Ammonite. Not my usual style, but well worth a try or two. Mind you, it might not stay on top for long, I'm off to try the Bengal Lancer tonight...........

ROBCamra
10-02-2010, 10:01
doesnt help that much but page 5
http://www.waverleytbs.co.uk/Site/26/Documents/TotalCask/Feb%202010%20TotalCask%20Brochure.pdf

Thanks for that Hondo. WaverleyTBS is where it came from as they offered Simon the landlord a deal if he bought several off them at once, hence Dirty Tackle, Hooker et al.

Still don't know who they are though. :)

ROBCamra
10-02-2010, 10:09
Just used the link from 'hondo' and saw this beer mentioned. It's actually brewed by Brewsters not Prospect. I'm not nit picking, but just wanted to say that Brewsters 'Decadence' was one of my favourite beers last year. RHL is described as a red ale hopped with American varieties. Sounds fascinating, would love to try it, given the brewery's track record for awards.

You are of course correct a&h. I even have the pump clip here at home (before it goes on Ebay) and still got it wrong.

Sadly it went after I'd had one pint last night, still the Phoenix Massacre replaced it, so it wasn't all bad news.

Another of our local breweries Green Mill delivered last night (from the back of his estate car as usual, it must play hell with the cars springs). Another 9 of Big Chief, it always goes down well at the Baum.

He got a silver medal at the SIBA North awards. Did you see any at the SIBA beer festival in Nottingham trainman?

hopwas
10-02-2010, 10:11
My BOTW definitely goes to Exmoor's BEAST in The Britannia, Rowley Regis. Now I know why Runningdog loves to drink the BEAST. It is frigging awesome! Very DANGEROUSLY drinkable..

http://www.hunter-novel.com/b_header_beast.jpg

I felt very light headed after just one pint.. :nishelypished:

runningdog
10-02-2010, 10:21
I felt very light headed after just one pint.. :nishelypished:
Glad you enjoyed it, Hops, old son.
Ps I've nicked your pick for me screen saver

hopwas
10-02-2010, 10:26
Glad you enjoyed it, Hops, old son.
Ps I've nicked your pick for me screen saver

No problem.. help yourself :D

Now I can only hope my local JDW will stock BEAST so I can drink it all day..:whistle:

trainman
10-02-2010, 10:53
just wanted to say that Brewsters 'Decadence' was one of my favourite beers last year.

Yep, I looked up Brewster's Brewery after enjoying Daffy's Elixir last year. This enlightened me with the fact that a brewster is a female brewer and this one, Sara Barton, is producing some excellent ales. Perhaps a visit to Grantham could be on the cards...

Another of our local breweries Green Mill delivered last night (from the back of his estate car as usual, it must play hell with the cars springs). Another 9 of Big Chief, it always goes down well at the Baum.
He got a silver medal at the SIBA North awards. Did you see any at the SIBA beer festival in Nottingham trainman?

No ROB, but I wouldn't necessarily have remembered! I see the list has a Mill Green MILD, but that's just coincidence of similar brewery name - full list att'd;

http://www.castlerockbrewery.co.uk/pub-canalhousebeerfest.html

Bizarrely, The North seems not to have been represented in the Best, Premium, & Strong Bitter Categories.

aleandhearty
10-02-2010, 15:22
Yep, I looked up Brewster's Brewery after enjoying Daffy's Elixir last year. This enlightened me with the fact that a brewster is a female brewer and this one, Sara Barton, is producing some excellent ales.
....As is the much praised Tara Mallinson, based in Huddersfield: www.drinkmallinsons.co.uk

trainman
10-02-2010, 15:42
....As is the much praised Tara Mallinson, based in Huddersfield: www.drinkmallinsons.co.uk

and she's sent a couple to Battersea...

http://batterseabeerfestival.org.uk/Battersea2010BeerList.pdf

runningdog
10-02-2010, 19:16
No problem.. help yourself :D

Now I can only hope my local JDW will stock BEAST so I can drink it all day..:whistle:

Mine is considering just that. I'm trying, I'm trying..........:drinkup:
I tried the Bengal Lancer. I have to say I'm impressed, the more I drank the more I wanted. It's not a patch on HSB but if you want to buy a gallon I'll hold me end up.........:drinkup::cheers::nishelypished:

hopwas
10-02-2010, 19:27
Mine is considering just that. I'm trying, I'm trying..........:drinkup:
I tried the Bengal Lancer. I have to say I'm impressed, the more I drank the more I wanted. It's not a patch on HSB but if you want to buy a gallon I'll hold me end up.........:drinkup::cheers::nishelypished:

:D I will try give my local JDW's manageress a nudge.. well BIG nudge actually.

Failing that, Ill have to kneel down and beg her! :pray::pray::pray:

I am drinking Scumpy's.... lovely! :cheers::cheers::cheers:

runningdog
10-02-2010, 19:34
[QUOTE=hopwas;6930
I am drinking Scumpy's.... lovely! :cheers::cheers::cheers:[/QUOTE]

Scumpy's? Either you've lost the plot or your fingers is worse thn mine......:nishelypished:
Note to Conrad, emotithings for relativly sobe and plasterde, plish..........

hopwas
10-02-2010, 19:37
Scumpy's? Either you've lost the plot or your fingers is worse thn mine......:nishelypished:
Note to Conrad, emotithings for relativly sobe and plasterde, plish..........

Er.. I mean Scrumpy's :whistle:

oldboots
10-02-2010, 19:44
Er.. I mean Scrumpy's :whistle:

should that be in the new breweries thread or do you mean that stuff that rots your brain and destroys your

knees? Cradley Heath JDW may have got to you :D

hopwas
10-02-2010, 19:51
[QUOTE=oldboots;6934] do you mean that stuff that rots your brain and destroys your knees? [QUOTE=oldboots;6934]

Yep that's the one! :D

[QUOTE=oldboots;6934]JDW's Cradley Heath[QUOTE=oldboots;6934]

:p

Maybe.. Maybe! I am very afraid to meet Delboy.. he is a Cradley Heath resident! :o

oldboots
10-02-2010, 19:57
Yep that's the one! :D

Wait till you try to stand up then, :eek:

Maybe.. Maybe! I am very afraid to meet Delboy.. he is a Cradley Heath resident! :o

I hope he's got both eyes :pray:

I've got Cradley Heath JDW on my must visit list after your tales.

Oggwyn Trench
10-02-2010, 20:00
Used to get a Scrumpy in Cornwall called Legless but Smiling , did exatly what it said on the tin (OK demijon):drinkup::p

hopwas
10-02-2010, 20:05
I've got Cradley Heath JDW on my must visit list after your tales.

All I can say.. Good luck and hope you get out Cradley Heath alive! :pray:

Oh if you do ever visit The Britannia, Rowley Regis.. Bring suntan! :rolleyes:

oldboots
10-02-2010, 20:11
All I can say.. Good luck and hope you get out Cradley Heath alive! :pray::

nothing scares me, I've been to Hull and back !

hopwas
10-02-2010, 20:16

I never been to Hull before so I don't know what it is like there!

Oh if you do ever need any help with Cradley Heath.. You can ask me or Delboy. I will more than happy to help you, OB. ;)

Oggwyn Trench
10-02-2010, 20:16

I done Stoke on a Saturday night .... and lived

oldboots
10-02-2010, 20:22
I never been to Hull before so I don't know what it is like there!

Be afraid; be very afraid, no actually it's a good drinking town and the closest pub to the station is a JDW

Oh if you do ever need any help with Cradley Heath.. You can ask me or Delboy. I will more than happy to help you, OB. ;)

I'm in the West Mids June 14-18 so I may call on your help then, tell them to keep an eye out for me in Cradley Heath.

ROBCamra
10-02-2010, 20:24

I like Hull, there's loads of good pubs there. :glass:

hopwas
10-02-2010, 20:27
tell them to keep an eye out for me in Cradley Heath.

Poor joke, old fella... :eek::eek::eek:

Yeah You can always reply on me!

oldboots
10-02-2010, 20:30
Poor joke, old fella... :eek::eek::eek:

Yep but do you know the original one, with the one eyed tart? I'll say no more.

aleandhearty
11-02-2010, 10:55
I like Hull, there's loads of good pubs there. :glass:

One of my best mates commutes to Hull every day. I keep threatening to tag along for a cheap day out. (Yes, a tight fisted Yorkshireman, what a surprise!) What are your favourite pubs ROB?

RogerB
11-02-2010, 12:08
All I can say is the Swordfish at Newlyn. Been there for a dare, had the pint, stayed alive.:cheers:

ROBCamra
11-02-2010, 13:05
One of my best mates commutes to Hull every day. I keep threatening to tag along for a cheap day out. (Yes, a tight fisted Yorkshireman, what a surprise!) What are your favourite pubs ROB?

The Wellington - for just being all round excellent :love:
Whalebone - quirky and their own brews on tap
Pave - Cafe bar with real ale - feel trendy when you're not!
Hop & Vine - Tiny cellar bar and also quirky
Olde Black Boy - Not as good as it was but still well worth a visit for the architecture
Olde White Hart - as Olde Black Boy
Walters - wine bar again but with a great selection of Ales
Admiral of the Humber - Roughish JDW, but the staff and ale have always been excellent.
Three John Scotts - JDW with decent guest ales
Minerva - Not been since it reopened but used to be good.

And there are several other worth a look. :cheers:

oldboots
12-02-2010, 08:39
Olde Black Boy - Not as good as it was but still well worth a visit for the architecture
Admiral of the Humber - Roughish JDW, but the staff and ale have always been excellent.

I've only done half of those so it looks like I'm overdue for Hull 2. The people are pretty friendly in Hull as well, apart from the miserable bar maid in the Old Blue Bell

aleandhearty
12-02-2010, 10:35

Thanks for those ROB. I'm sure I'll be checking a few out in the coming weeks.

aleandhearty
12-02-2010, 10:45
Forgot to add my BOTW, which is the point after all. Thornbridge 'Brian Turner's Amber Ale'. Smooth, easy drinking amber ale with biscuity malt character. Absolutely slid down, last night.

ROBCamra
13-02-2010, 13:37

Several fine beers last night. Coastal Angelina, Brewdog Trashy Blonde, Wentworth Whoppa.

But the current leader with tonight to go is Elland Maximum Darkness, does exactly what it says on the pumpclip.

Very smooth and tasty, I hope there's some left for tonight.

runningdog
13-02-2010, 20:37
As it's a pretty good guess that tomorrow is unikely to produce anything to top it, I declare my BotW to be Fuller/ Gales HSB. With the Bengal Lance a truly honourable runner up..........:drinkup::drinkup:

Oggwyn Trench
13-02-2010, 22:07
Well for me its going to be Triple FFF , Pressed Rat And Warthog a very unusual Mild , runner up is Quercos Shinglebeach starts off dry and hoppy , finishes sweet and malty , weird but nice

Pubsignman
13-02-2010, 23:51
My BOTW is Bowman Elderado, which was the pick from a decent session at the Guide Dog in Southampton on Tuesday.

Runners up were Itchen Valley Russian Winter (Cricketters - Addiscombe) and Triple fff Pressed Rat and Warthog (Ship of Fools, Croydon). Strangely, all three are from breweries in Hampshire.

Eddie86
14-02-2010, 02:32
I'm going with Marble Arch's Pint this week. Weak enough for a session (3.9%), hoppy enough to chew and fruity like the drinker :D

trainman
14-02-2010, 11:49
I'll give it to Brew Dog's Trashy Blonde at Croydon's Green Dragon ystdy. Only the 2nd time I've seen it on handpump anywhere.
My coup de grâce beer goes to my last one at the nearby George - the wonderful but deadly Jaipur IPA (amonst another strong line-up incl Harviestoun Bitter & Twisted).

HTM69
14-02-2010, 11:52
Hmm… beers sampled this week:

London Pride x 4 (Nags Head, Rochester)
Young’s Bitter x 2 (Prince of Wales, Chatham)
Ramsgate Gadds No.7 x 2 (Britannia Café Bar, Rochester)
Chiswick x 2 (The Pilot Inn, North Greenwich)
Newcastle Brown Ale x lord knows!! (Tap N’ Tin, Chatham) :rolleyes:

Tonight may throw up a few more… we’ll see!

hopwas
14-02-2010, 11:56
I was told that my local, The Fox put on new real ale yesterday.. Harvieston's Bitter and Twisted

I haven't tried it but will sample it later with my old man. Is it good beer? Should I drink it?

trainman
14-02-2010, 12:16
Harviestoun Bitter and Twisted. Is it good beer? Should I drink it?
I love it Hoppy and, if you know and like the style of Darkstar Hophead, Oakham JHB & such-like, you will too.
I had to severely ration the 16 bottles that travelled with me to France last year - one a day is ludicrously frugal, but that's all there was on the shelf at Sainsbos!

hopwas
14-02-2010, 12:20
I love it Hoppy and, if you know and like the style of Darkstar Hophead, Oakham JHB & such-like, you will too.
I had to severely ration the 16 bottles that travelled with me to France last year - one a day is ludicrously frugal, but that's all there was on the shelf at Sainsbos!

Ta! I dont normally drink hoppy beers but willing give it a go. I am more stout/porter drinker.

rpadam
14-02-2010, 12:24
The cask version (3.8%) is rather lighter and less hoppy than Harvieston's Bitter and Twisted in bottled form (4.2%).

trainman
14-02-2010, 12:36
I am more stout/porter drinker.

Ah, it won't be your cup o' tea then...

The cask version (3.8%) is rather lighter and less hoppy than Harvieston's Bitter and Twisted in bottled form (4.2%).

Yep, another beer where the bottled version is stronger but I very much enjoy both.
I noticed that Castle Rock's Harvest Pale was 4.3% in bottle vs 3.8% from cask, but the largest difference I've seen recently was Adnams Broadside - 4.7% on tap, but a whopping 6.3% in bottles ('Broadside Strong Original').

runningdog
14-02-2010, 15:28
Yep, another beer where the bottled version is stronger but I very much enjoy both.
..........Adnams Broadside - 4.7% on tap, but a whopping 6.3% in bottles ('Broadside Strong Original').

I like bottled Twitter and Bisted a lot but find the cask version a bit bland. I'm sure it's not just the alcohol level, it simply doesn't have the taste. Same applies to both Broadside and Hobgoblin....:drinkup::drinkup:

Millay
14-02-2010, 17:10
It was a close run thing for me this week. I wanted to give it to Rudgate’s Ruby Mild as I found it being served from a cask on the bar of a pub that had recently changed hands and there were fears about the future of the real ale.

However yesterday I encountered the excellent Dark Hare from Bath Ales and for quality that beats anything I’ve had recently. So that’s my BotW.

oldboots
14-02-2010, 17:38
I like the "beers I've tried this week" listing, hat-tip to HTM69, so here's my list of beers drunk in a pub this week (I'm missing out the bottles drunk at home), I'm sure RogerB will put it to shame but I enjoyed (almost) every pint even one or two John Smith's,

Draught Guinness
Tetley's Cask
York - Centurion's Ghost
Brimstage - Rhode Island Red
Rudgate - Mild 793
Salopian - Oracle
Timmy Taylor - Landlord
Black Sheep - Riggwelter
Rudgate - Viking
John Smith's Cask
Peroni 330ml bottle (just one)
York - Guzzler
Saltaire - Blonde
Thwaites - Hops and Misses
Roosters - Huntsman's Ale (not their usual style but pretty good)
Naylors - Cravenbrau
Salamander - Cromarty Porter

Winner is Rudgate Viking in an unpromising looking pub in Nidderdale that turned out very good, runner up Centurion's Ghost drunk ironically* in Liverpool, Lancs.

(*no comments about split infinitives please:D, Lancs is the ironic bit not the drinking of)

Conrad
14-02-2010, 18:17
Well I think my beer of the week is going to have to go to Badger's Pickled Partridge, my wife kindly picked them up during the weekly shop and I have been enjoying them during the course of the week.

runningdog
14-02-2010, 18:46
Well I think my beer of the week is going to have to go to Badger's Pickled Partridge, my wife kindly picked them up during the weekly shop and I have been enjoying them during the course of the week.

Just a thought, how many of us include bottled beer in our BotW consideration. I don't, but that's partly because it'd bluidy boring.
'runningdog' Exmoor Beast ad drinkitdownum..........:drinkup:

Conrad
14-02-2010, 19:14
Well clearly I am :). If I didn't it would probably be Doom Bar sadly as I don't get out to the pubs much these days, and the local to the office isn't exactly a Real Ale Mecha.

I really do need to find some more pub time.

Dave M
14-02-2010, 22:17
If I didn't it would probably be Doom Bar sadly

Yeah, same here. We really must get out more.

As I've been a little under the weather all week I've only actually had one beer, so by default my BotW is Piddle in the Hole from Wyre Piddle brewery. Didn't even enjoy it that much, but then my taste buds are a bit shot at the moment.

RogerB
15-02-2010, 09:50
A surprisingly limited choice this week considering I have had quite a hectic week having been to a gig, a comedy show and spent the weekend in Lancashire. I think I will opt for the Thwaites Wainwright Ale at the White Lion in Upholland near Wigan as BotW - it was as good as anything I have had this week.

runningdog
15-02-2010, 11:22
I really do need to find some more pub time.

It was only a query, boss, curiosity like. I have weeks like that..........:cheers:

Conrad
15-02-2010, 12:21
I wasn't taking it as a dig, I just feel vaguely guilty myself about not getting out to pubs enough. :)

RogerB
15-02-2010, 12:49
Well for me its going to be Triple FFF , Pressed Rat And Warthog a very unusual Mild

That was on in my regulatr Sunday haunt in Dartford last night but I didn't get time to try it. I have had it before somewhere but the name stuck out more than the taste. I may have to pop in on the way home from work tonight and have a fresh sample if it's still on.

Oggwyn Trench
15-02-2010, 13:01
That was on in my regulatr Sunday haunt in Dartford last night but I didn't get time to try it. I have had it before somewhere but the name stuck out more than the taste. I may have to pop in on the way home from work tonight and have a fresh sample if it's still on.

Its certainly a Mild but not like the ones we normaly get round here , it stood out for me though as i worked my way up the Crowns beer list . (managed 8 out of 11 did`n`t fancy Old Pec or Saxon Cider on a session )
Pressed Rat and Warthog means the brewers probaly a Cream fan (Disraely Gears i think)

HTM69
15-02-2010, 14:43
Tonight may throw up a few more… we’ll see!

And indeed, last night did...

Triple FFF , Pressed Rat And Warthog x1 (Wat Tyler, Dartford)
Doom Bar x 3 (Ivy Leaf, Dartford)
London Pride x 1 (Ivy Leaf, Dartford)

There was another beer sampled in the Wat Tyler, but cannot recall the name!

Oggwyn Trench
15-02-2010, 15:02
Triple FFF Pressed Rat and Warthog seems very popular this week:drinkup:

hopwas
15-02-2010, 15:16
Special £1.29 offer for guest ales at Silk Kite has now ended and reverted to normal price £1.90 :moremad:

In last two weeks, real ales in Tamworth has been generally poor and my BOTW was in Rowley Regis.

Lets hope in next few weeks, things will get improve in Tamworth pubs (Real Ale wise) :pray:

aleandhearty
15-02-2010, 15:33
Forgot to add my BOTW, which is the point after all. Thornbridge 'Brian Turner's Amber Ale'. Smooth, easy drinking amber ale with biscuity malt character. Absolutely slid down, last night.

Changed my mind after a couple on Saturday night. Had the Ilkley Brewery's 'Ilkley Black', a rich mild for 3.7%. I think you'd have been impressed Soupy!

oldboots
15-02-2010, 16:47
Pressed Rat and Warthog means the brewers probaly a Cream fan (Disraely Gears i think)

I've met him and he is, he is also a Zep fan (Dazed and Confused / Stairway) and Van Morrison (Moondance) and Black Sabbath (Snowblind) and Floyd (Comfortably Numb) and the Stones (Little Red Rooster) and a few more cracking beers named after songs. I think that's where the fff comes from too - musical notation. It's not Disraeli Gears, although track 1 is Strange Brew... now I wonder who knows which Cream album it is?

ROBCamra
15-02-2010, 17:02
Several fine beers last night. Coastal Angelina, Brewdog Trashy Blonde, Wentworth Whoppa.

But the current leader with tonight to go is Elland Maximum Darkness, does exactly what it says on the pumpclip.

Very smooth and tasty, I hope there's some left for tonight.

Acorn Gorlovka Stout made a late bid , but the award for this week goes to Elland Maximum Darkness.:cheers:

Oh I forgot the Cream album is Wheels On Fire.

Oggwyn Trench
15-02-2010, 18:00
Acorn Gorlovka Stout made a late bid , but the award for this week goes to Elland Maximum Darkness.:cheers:

Oh I forgot the Cream album is Wheels On Fire.

Should have remembered Wheels on Fire , thats the one with the gatefold sleeve you need sunglasses when you open it .
All very musical today , Cream on here and the Macc Lads on favorites