PDA

View Full Version : Beer of the Week (w/e 12th Febuary 2012)

ROBCamra
08-02-2012, 09:36
Spinko: Kirkstall Pale Ale
Oggwyn Trench: Mallinsons JMY 70
Bucking Fastard: Surrey Hills Shere Drop
Wittenden: Gales Seafarers
Thuck Phat: St Austell Cornish IPA
RogerB: Concrete Cow Fenny Popper
Millay: Orkney Dark Island
Old Blue: Oakham Bishops Farewell
ROBCamra: Liverpool Craft Jane Mahuta

ROBCamra
09-02-2012, 12:06
Decent start to the drinking week in The Baum on Tuesday.

I was invited to a wine tasting there in the afternoon so I started off with a pint of Brightside Solstice which is pleasant but not too strong tasting so I could preserve my palate for the wine. :o

After the tasting I finished off with a pint of last weeks BOTW Oldershaw Heavenly Blonde.

This was a good decision as when we went back that evening it had gone as CAMRA were holding their monthly meeting upstairs.

Another pint of the Solstice and then on to Burscough Canon Stout and Wilson Potter In The Black both dark and very tasty.

Back to the light stuff with Summer Wine Portside a light and hoppy 4.2%er and finished off with an old favourite Phoenix Hopsack.

As The Baum was voted Rochdale, Oldham & Bury overall Pub Of The Year at the meeting Simon was in a very good mood. :cheers:

It now goes forward into the area judging when it will be up against some real heavyweights like The Crown in Stockport.

trainman
09-02-2012, 12:39
So, just a gallon or so sandwiching a wine-tasting session ROB!
:notworthy:

ROBCamra
09-02-2012, 17:09
So, just a gallon or so sandwiching a wine-tasting session ROB!
:notworthy:

Errrr, when you put it like that TM, errr yes. :o :p

Quinno
09-02-2012, 21:56
If anything beats the Dark Star Revelation I was guzzling at the Nags Head earlier, I shall eat my hat!

Spinko
11-02-2012, 16:08
Shall have to be a very tasty and hoppy Kirkstall Pale Ale, sampled several times heavily over the weekend. £2.90 in North Bar, bang on.

Oggwyn Trench
12-02-2012, 09:55
Good day yesterday ,

Whim - Hartington IPA
Salamander - Mandrake
Elland - Northern Sky
Mallard - Specduckular
Mallinsons - JMY 70
Bridestones - Aramis

BOTW Mallinsons - JMY 70

Bucking Fastard
12-02-2012, 14:40
Not many beers during the week ,with freezing conditions impacting pub visits and sporting events ,so BOTW was Surrey Hills Shere Drop,and a very fine drop it was too in The Well House Inn,Mugswell which is in the running for February POTM.

Wittenden
12-02-2012, 22:35
Hog's Back TEA
Fuller Smith and Turner Gales Seafarer
Copper Dragon Best Bitter
Copper Dragon Golden Pippin
Jenning's Cumberland Ale

Difficult to choose between two very different beers-Seafarers and Golden Pippin, but my nomination goes to F S and T's Gales Seafarers. Fullers seem to be on top of the game now, I'd not tried this refreshing amber session beer, and I hope to be drinking more Golden Pippin this coming week.

Thuck Phat
13-02-2012, 09:55
Very quiet week with only 2 beers drunk: the ever reliable Oakham Bishops Farewell and BOTW St Austell Cornish IPA. Bottled, from M&S and much better than expected both as a drink and in a stew.

RogerB
13-02-2012, 13:11
Had a couple of decent pints this week, the pre-match Stella I had in Tottenham on Saturday not being one of them. The one that stood out for me was Concrete Cow Fenny Popper, not just because it was a cracking pint but also becasue I found it in a surprisingly decent backstreet pub in Lewisham, the Talbot.

Millay
13-02-2012, 14:35
From yesterdays expedition it could have been Sadlers Mud City Stout or Oakham Scarlet Macaw but in the end l'm giving my botw to an old favourite, Orkney Dark Island

RogerB
13-02-2012, 14:40
l'm giving my botw to an old favourite, Orkney Dark Island

My local has had that on this week - was certainly a contender. Probably too much to ask it being on this week.

Old Blue
14-02-2012, 08:33
Oakham – Bishops Farewell, Citra, ScarletMacaw, JHB
Fullers London Porter
Thwaites Wainwright
Brakspear’s Bitter
Twickenham Naked Ladies

Perhaps predictably from this selection, Oakham Bishops Farewell gets my nomination this week

ROBCamra
14-02-2012, 11:54
Well Fleetwood lived up to expectations. The beer was well kept as usual.

George Wright Dana 51 was good in the Regal Moon on Friday.

Mighty Oak Malden Gold was good in The Baum as well.

Livepool Organic made a decent bid in the Strawberry Gardens in Fleetwood.

But BOTW is going to be Liverpool Craft Jane Mahuta tried at the festival.

It was my second beer and I thought "If anything gets better than this at this festival then I'm in for a treat".

It didn't so it's my BOTW. :p

Pubsignman
16-02-2012, 12:04
I spent the weekend in Chester and enjoyed lots of good beer in some excellent pubs, with the highlights being Whim Flower Power and Spitting Feathers Thirstquencher.

BOTW goes to Red Willow Relentless - a fine stout enjoyed in The Pied Bull (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/55523/) which more than made up for the fact that the pub didn't have any of its own beers available when we visited.

Quinno
23-02-2012, 11:55
If anything beats the Dark Star Revelation I was guzzling at the Nags Head earlier, I shall eat my hat!

Nothing did beat it, in the end!

Alesonly
27-02-2012, 23:54
Late entry for this week ending 12/02 Been busy rebuilding The Royal Enfield ready for the good weather. Spent the last two weeks either down the shed or down the Pub according to the wife.

Beer of the week for 12/02 Bramble Stout Burton Bridge Brewery.